IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Edges & Flaws - a primer, what are some common choices?
GlassJaw
post Feb 21 2005, 07:31 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,664

I haven't made a character yet that had any Edges or Flaws (I've been pretty much avoiding them) but I've been reading about them a bit more lately. What are some common choices?

Which ones are very annoying in play and which ones are flat-out cheesy? Which ones are worth taking? (both good and bad)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Feb 21 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,789

it all depends on what you want to do. No matter the archetype Good looking and Knows it, Good Reputation and Friendly Face are just useful to ignore. Well connected is worth every point as is Ambidexterity (which is cheese but fun).

For flaws you would be surprised how many of my deckers take sensitive nural structure.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 21 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #3

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Oh, there are plenty. It depends heavily on who your character is, both in terms of role and personality. Bonus Attribute Point and Exceptional Attribute are ones I almost always take, and Vehicle Empathy for Riggers. Flaws typically run towards phobias or allergies.

~J

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post Feb 21 2005, 07:41 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,086

Edges:
Quick Healer/Fast Healing. Whichever it's called. I don't have the book on hand.

The boosted and exceptional attributes. Great for designing a specific concept, little bit scary as far as how powerful they can be, if done right.

Flaws:
Whatever goes. Phobias seem common with my group.. between 3 PCs, there are 4 phobias.. Sammie with a lightning phobia, shaman-adept with a mild phobia of priests and a major one of churches (backstory: he nearly got burned at the stake)

Haven't run into any that are annoying in play yet.. but all of the ones I've taken have been just naturally part of the character. Build the personality first, then find the ones that fit and it solves most of the annoyance problems, I've found

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 21 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

If a flaw doesn't really create a disadvantage within the context of the game, it probably is either a cheesy flaw or a flaw chosen to flesh out the character.

As far as edges, I'd be very wary of choosing Aptitude, if you are concerned about cheese. It tends to be one of the more powerful edges if your GM allows it.

I'm always fond of the Toughness edge myself. One of our characters has Allergy: Severe, Citrus Fruits, which makes him a little hard to live with at meals. We're thinking about giving him some sort of compulsive/paranoid flaw when it comes to cooking or eating.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Feb 21 2005, 08:20 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

High pain tolerance is a good one to have, as is full ambidexterity. As for flaws... I usually pick ones that will give my character depth by fitting in with his back story.

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Feb 21 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,701

If your GM allows it, get Skill Aptitude on your primary combat skill. Nothing beats it; period.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Feb 21 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

*cough* Yeah, it's definately the way to go, IF your GM lets you.

I let Lina get away with one when I was just starting as a GM...I ain't allowing it again. *grumble*

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post Feb 21 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,963

One of the most common flaws in my experience is Enemy.

It's not like it's a real flaw. It just means your character gets more 'screen time' so to speak.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 21 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

If you are a Ghost Hunter type, Bravery and Natural Immunity (HMHVV) are really useful.

As for flaws I like Day Job but it can be pure Velveeta if your GM let's you take the money with out having your job complicate your life.

+Quote Post
ef31415
post Feb 21 2005, 10:20 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 6,886

The cheese factor is pretty high all around, but I'd reccomend a simpler approach. Start out with a concept, and a story, and take flaws and attributes that follow that story. That will make the GM's job easier, by giving more plot hooks and things to play with.

In terms of effectiveness, it matters more how the attibutes fit in with the character concept.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 21 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #12

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Modesitt @ Feb 21 2005, 04:46 PM)

It's not like it's a real flaw.  It just means your character gets more 'screen time' so to speak.

This has already been discussed in a previous thread, but it can be a very annoying flaw if it frags up an otherwise perfect run. It depends on how the GM uses the flaw, really... some GMs simply use it to make existing enemies more powerful (more willing to cooperate together, more resources, etc.), others make sure that you (read: Your Team) are paying for the flaw in a very real way.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Feb 21 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Common Edges.
Perceptive
Ambidextrous 3
Focused Concentration
Night Vision
Bonus Attribute
Exceptional Attribute

The last 2 are very common.

Flaws?
Enemy's
Phobia's
Day Job's (or as i prefer to call them "Commitments")

I tend find that Flaws are more fitting to a character and thus you get a broader spectrum of them over edges.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Feb 21 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #14

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

If you're playing after YOTC (specificly more than 10-WIL weeks after) Chronic Osteocspus is the way to go. A -10 point flaw that gives you Pain Resistance 3 and +1 to all unarmed attacks in exchange for being a slow healer (And 10-Willpower weeks of +4 TNs). Very cheesy. Great for a Minotaur Adept.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 21 2005, 11:10 PM
Post #15

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
If you're playing after YOTC (specificly more than 10-WIL weeks after) Chronic Osteocspus is the way to go. A -10 point flaw that gives you Pain Resistance 3 and +1 to all unarmed attacks in exchange for being a slow healer (And 10-Willpower weeks of +4 TNs). Very cheesy. Great for a Minotaur Adept.

Well, you still would have to pay somehow for the dubious "privilege" to be a SURGE changeling at character generation, either as a GM-sanctioned SURGE roll or paying 5 points at character generation. Not to mention that Chronic Osteocuspus is NOT a fun thing to have. You wouldn't be able to hug or "get intimate" with anyone, for starters, you have to buy modified clothing and armor, and I'm very sure that you will be ostracized by others.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Feb 21 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

I like:
Perfect Time and Perceptive myself. Flaws tend to vary wildly depending on the character, but phobias can offer fun RP options, as well as compulsions. Really, what flaws and edges you take should really depend on the character concept.

+Quote Post
GlassJaw
post Feb 22 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,664

Cool ideas everyone. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, what are some phobias you have taken or seen in play?

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 22 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE (hyzmarca)

And your PC also suffers from a condition that hurts like hell.

QUOTE (Modesitt)

It's not like it's a real flaw.  It just means your character gets more 'screen time' so to speak.

Enemy? Hmm.... Enemy... *checks his copy of SR3Comp, and specifically the Edges & Flaws Table on page 31* Nope. No "Enemy" flaw there.

There's an "Extra Enemy" Flaw, and a "Hunted" Flaw.

If you're going to criticize something, at least do it correctly.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Feb 22 2005, 12:22 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

I have a character with a severe phobia of bug spirits (he finished growin up in the Chicago CZ) but I extend that to him being jumpy around ALL bugs.

Any kind of phobia of dogs can be interesting if someplace you're making a run on has parananimal guards. Water can also be a good one.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 22 2005, 12:22 AM
Post #20

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Enemy? Hmm.... Enemy... *checks his copy of SR3Comp, and specifically the Edges & Flaws Table on page 31* Nope. No "Enemy" flaw there.

You can call a pistol as a "gun" or even a "slugthrower" and people will still know what you are talking about. Since most people know that when you say "Enemy Flaw", you really mean "Extra Enemy Flaw", it seems to be an accepted usage of the text. Ah, semantics.

Back to the topic, I currently play a character who has a mild phobia of Shapeshifters, due to a bad tangle with a Shapeshifter prior. "I shot him with 6 bullets from each revolver, and it STILL didn't die!"

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 22 2005, 01:32 AM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (hahnsoo @ Feb 21 2005, 05:22 PM)
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ Feb 21 2005, 07:07 PM)

You can call a pistol as a "gun" or even a "slugthrower" and people will still know what you are talking about. Since most people know that when you say "Enemy Flaw", you really mean "Extra Enemy Flaw", it seems to be an accepted usage of the text. Ah, semantics.

Back to the topic, I currently play a character who has a mild phobia of Shapeshifters, due to a bad tangle with a Shapeshifter prior. "I shot him with 6 bullets from each revolver, and it STILL didn't die!"

Actually, since it generally is used to refer to the Hunted Flaw, or was in the recent and similar thread, it is not that self-evident.

And besides, I don't assume. Nor do I guess, hypothesize, speculate, or infer (yes, credit where credit is due goes to Jimmy Caan in Way of the Gun) when I'm discussing anything online. I'm weird like that.

+Quote Post
vapor
post Feb 22 2005, 02:33 AM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 7,046

i rarely use edges or flaws, but i'm a big fan of common sense...

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 22 2005, 02:42 AM
Post #23

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

While many advised to be careful with Aptitudes, I'd also add to be careful with Preceptive. It is Aptitude (Intelligence AND Complementary Stealth) for the cheap and cheesy cost of 3, unlike that of Aptitude with cost of 4. With Preceptive and Cognition in the hands of a player, you can kiss that sniper goodbye as a GM, unless you break the rules.

+Quote Post
banditf50
post Feb 22 2005, 03:18 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,525

I also rarely make use of edges or flaws unless it is a very good fit for the character. Although when the SR Companion first came out I made several characters who were all color blind. I am color blind myself so I thought it was a neat way to take a flaw which would be so simple for me to RP.

Which brings up a silly random question. Are there any documented cases of a human (in RL, not SR) being allergic to silver?

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 22 2005, 03:27 AM
Post #25

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (banditf50)
Which brings up a silly random question. Are there any documented cases of a human (in RL, not SR) being allergic to silver?

A quick journal search reveals:
Agarwal S. Gawkrodger DJ. Occupational allergic contact dermatitis to silver and colophonium in a jeweler. [Case Reports. Journal Article] American Journal of Contact Dermatitis. 13(2):74, 2002 Jun.

Ehrlich A. Kucenic M. Belsito DV. Role of body piercing in the induction of metal allergies. [Journal Article] American Journal of Contact Dermatitis. 12(3):151-5, 2001 Sep.

Fraser-Moodie A. Sensitivity to silver in a patient treated with silver sulphadiazine (Flamazine). [Case Reports. Journal Article] Burns. 18(1):74-5, 1992 Feb.

From a brief look at some articles, this mostly comes up in silver-amalgam fillings in the context of dentistry, so it happens at a rare frequency.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.