IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sentry Guns, No merc labor unions here...
LinaInverse
post Feb 23 2005, 05:23 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,701

Does 3rdEd Shadowrun have automatic sentry guns? Specifically, guns that can accurately fire w/o a skilled Gunner or Rigger behind them? Yes, I know about vehicle turrets, etc, but those all require a skilled Rigger or Gunner. The scenario I'm planning requires that the guns are able to acquire their targets and shoot them by themselves once they are activated (and a friend-or-foe signal to prevent them shooting the wrong persons).

Where do I find costs/avail/etc on these?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 23 2005, 05:25 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I know there are some in RA:S. I believe there were also some in CorpSec.

The Farm again?

~J

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 23 2005, 05:32 PM
Post #3

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

You can use the Ares Sentry II as a base. While mounted on a trailer, it should provide basic details. A drone pilot with sensors, a smartlink intergration and autosoft, plus remote turret and safe-fire system (?) could be built and doesn't require a rigger or gunner by using senor-enhanced gunnery.

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Feb 23 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Yup; the Farm. Depending on circumstances, it might be just me, or might be my whole gang of buddies holding out the compound against a whole bunch of Italian capos (my char's primary Lvl 4 hunted). And unlike the ATF, they're probably not going to be giving me 51 days to write the "7 scriptures" (or whatever Koresh was claiming to do).

If the former, then my char needs something that doesn't need any Gunnery skill because I don't have any. If the latter, then it would be nice to use the sentry guns to flush the enemies out (ie, burn their combat pools trying to dodge the automatic fire) before my teammates snipe them from behind reinforced walls. I'll also need the same setup to be able to fire Missiles for when the Capos bring in gunships.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Feb 23 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

FoF had sentry guns. I don't know about SR3.

You realize we're going to want a blow-by-blow if/when the Mafia finally takes a shot at cracking "Waco."

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 23 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Suppressive fire is great for burning combat pool.

~J

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Feb 23 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Don't worry Garland, I'm sure either I or Docmortand will fill everyone in on the gory details. The farm itself has already been bought; escape tunnels dug, a getaway car stashed and I've already started planting trees around the perimeter to hide the farm from the country road, along with providing a nice place to conceal some mines. I've also already started reinforcing the farm's walls with concrete and scrap steel on the inside. We already have 3 LMGs and 1 MMG set aside, but I need a way to get them operational (hence, my questions here). I still need to buy a few hundred mines, several thousand rounds of ExEx ammo, some C-12 (to self-destruct the house when they converge), and some missiles (for the gunships that will be coming). I'd like to get some mini-guns if we come across them, but that is more of a "hope-and-see".

Kagetenshi, I've not been a fan of Suppersive fire in terms of direct action against the enemy (especially if the area is widespread), but I haven't thought of how it can work in conjunction with aimed fire. I'll have to give that some thought. I initially was wanting to get a couple of Vengance/Vanquishers, which would have been great for suppressive fire, but Doc said that would get too much attention from the military, so I had to kibosh that idea.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Feb 23 2005, 06:03 PM
Post #8

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Sentry guns are covered in the basic rulebook. Check in that section with the security rules.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 23 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

The Ultimate(?) Sentry Gun

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 06:14 PM
Post #10

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

That, or you can just have a drone without a way of moving itselfs, essientially a dogbrain with a gun and some sensors.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 23 2005, 06:21 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Yeah, that would make more sense, but with the vehicle design rules in Rigger 3, the Light and Medium Industrial Mover chasses are by far the best -- a lot of CF and Load, very low Mark-Up factor.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Feb 23 2005, 06:23 PM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

You realize those are rather large right? As in the light is a bulldozer sized thing.

I'd say more a mini-tracked drone, on a 1 foot length of track, there ya go. Make that, and build off it, or just use the generic tracked drone in the back already.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 23 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Yes, they are pretty large -- the Pyramid Protector has a total Load rating of 2500 before any of the gear. But you won't fit all the stuff on the PP onto a small drone. ;)

But yeah, the PP is meant for a very specific use -- providing somewhat-mobile, stealthy, highly effective anti-aircraft and anti-armor protection for those with big budgets. If you just want to keep out a few criminals (or police officers), you're better off with something like a Crawler Drone or something -- small, more mobile, rather affordable. Or a Light Axle Trailer.

Where did you find tracked drones?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 23 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

edit: aye em wetawded.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 23 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #15

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

How about small exploding crawler mines as well? :D

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Feb 23 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

Heh...I'm staying out of this one, because I already have planned that I and the rest of the team will be playing the capos for a one shot, and Lina gets to man the defenses as GM.

As the defenses get more and more hairy I am definately feeling sorry for the capos...

Some of the mines being discussed are variations on Bouncing Bettys, too...

Don't worry, when we get to the siege and destruction of Angel's Farm, I'll post it up here in all it's gory details.

Keep up the suggestions!

+Quote Post
lodestar
post Feb 23 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,720

R3 also has the trailer mounted versions which is a drone but could easily just be a sentry gun for quick set up defense as well.

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Feb 23 2005, 09:18 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

I don't think anyone answered your questions directly, Lina. The description and rules mechanics of Automatic Gun Systems are in SR3, p. 236. They come in 'dumb' and 'smart', the latter will actually target individuals. For automated guns I use, I abandoned the rules in this section for 'dumb' guns and use the suppressive fire rules insted, with an effective rating of 4 and a set fire arc. That doesn't change the rule extensively, just makes them mesh more with standard suppressive fire.

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Feb 23 2005, 09:22 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Thanks Luke. I'll look at this entry tonight. If they are what I hope they are, a couple dozen of these, 10000 rounds of ExEx, and 500 land mines should gives the Capos something to think about...just before they die!

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Feb 23 2005, 09:26 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

QUOTE (LinaInverse)
Thanks Luke. I'll look at this entry tonight. If they are what I hope they are, a couple dozen of these, 10000 rounds of ExEx, and 500 land mines should gives the Capos something to think about...just before they die!

The only downside is that the book entry doesn't give price, avail, or SI. Your GM will have to wing those.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 23 2005, 09:29 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

If you're doing acquisition according to the rules, though, you'll have to ask your GM for Availability and cost (and a number of other things, probably, like BOD and possible Armor, Signature, etc.) for these things. The section in sr3.236 only details how they attack.
[Edit]Slow is me.[/Edit]

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Feb 23 2005, 09:30 PM

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Feb 23 2005, 11:56 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

QUOTE (LinaInverse)
The farm itself has already been bought; escape tunnels dug, a getaway car stashed and I've already started planting trees around the perimeter to hide the farm from the country road, along with providing a nice place to conceal some mines.

I can't help but get this mental image of some family headed out to the country for a nice picnic, and having a VERY bad day.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Feb 24 2005, 12:06 AM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

LinaInverse.

Have you ever read Tom Clancy's Hidden Agendas? (The Third Net Force Book i think) There's a Russian Fellow with some nice idea's about the kind of thing you doing with you piece of Real Estate.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Feb 24 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Ignore. Double Post

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Feb 24 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
I can't help but get this mental image of some family headed out to the country for a nice picnic, and having a VERY bad day.

While anything is possible, the farm is surrounded by a non-lethal electrified razor-wire fence. The fence's purpose isn't to deter serious opposition obviously; it's intended to discourage casual trespassers (ie, farm kids, door-to-door salesmen, picnicing families, etc). Anyone who makes the determined effort to cut through the fence deserves what they get...:evil:

QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
LinaInverse.

Have you ever read Tom Clancy's Hidden Agendas? (The Third Net Force Book i think) There's a Russian Fellow with some nice idea's about the kind of thing you doing with you piece of Real Estate.

No, sorry, I haven't. I've read most of the Clancy books he's written himself, his non-fiction military ones, and some of Op-Center. Never got into the other series he started up (but to the best of my knowledge, didn't directly write).

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.