IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wheels, Any houserule vehicles out there?
Weredigo
post Feb 24 2005, 08:46 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,030

Sitting at Denny's late one night we were all having "Shadowrun discussion" I blurted out a question. "Is it possible to produce a motorcycle with only one wheel."
GM: "They alreayd have them, those little clown motorcycles."
We: "No, I mean a Street Legal, Mid to high powered Motorcycle?"
GM: "Mid to High power?"
We: "Yeah, would do Speed Limit or over depending on the rider"
GM: <to his wife> "I've been bit by a casaba melon, again," <to me> "how would you keep it balanced?"
We: "A system using a Sphere and a Gyroscope, with Electromagnets, computer signals attractive or repellant charge along whichever point requires it"
GM: "So it's ride by wire, like a Hornet."
We: "Pretty much"
and it just snowballed from there.
(houserule)

The Cherrybomb
Handling 1/2 (for fearless and non carefull riders) 2/4 (for carefull riders
Speed (in MPH) 65/170 ( except for the 3 electro magnetic balancers, engine, and rider there's not much weight to it)
Body 1 ( offers no protection, unless it's parked and yer using it as cover, and if you crash the thing, forget fixing it, it's gone, scrap, buy another one, and granted they can be turned at most 180 degrees on a dollar, they rarely stop on a dime)
Armor 0
Signature 3 ( those electromagnets send out a real easy to detect signal )
Autopilot 0
Seating 1
Fuel 20ounces distilled water. ( we were looking at the fuel requirements this contraption would need and decided it couldn't be done without cold fusion )
Cargo 0
Cost 100 :nuyen: ( They thought it was a good idea at the time, it hit the market, and caused so many accidents they were about to discontinue due to a severe sales drop, Someone reccomended dropping the price. )

Sometimes I swear they add psychotropic drugs to the kettle wash they call Coffee at Dennys.

What other houserule vehicles are out there?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Feb 24 2005, 08:49 PM
Post #2

Chrome to the Core

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,715

Well, for one, AFAIK, there isn't cold fusion in the canon SR world.

For two, psychotropic drugs in the coffee would make you want to eat at Denny's and Denny's only. Not make you think weird things.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Feb 24 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

Cold fusion for 100¥?

House rule indeed.

I'm also not clear on the handling. The way you have it actually makes psychotic drivers safer than cautious drivers.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 24 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

Look here

No cold fusion needed, just google-fu.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Feb 24 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #5

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

And its done without cold bloody fusion...

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Feb 24 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Since handling is the base TN for any driving test, shouldn't it be higher for the speed freak suicidals than the cautious?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 24 2005, 09:12 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

there should be no way a one-wheeled vehicle has an offroad handling of 2. compared to that, cold fusion is sane.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 24 2005, 09:17 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Those monocycles are totally sweet, dude!

Weredigo: This is exactly the kind of situation where it might be a good idea to give a bit of background about your game first when springing something like cold fusion in a tiny space and insignificant weight for only 100 nuyen.

Cold fusion does exist in the canon SR world, though, since apparently it was first successfully used by the LA Power & Water in 2027. However, in any near-canon world, the Electric Battery and Electric Fuel Cell power plants would be far better suited for this. For further discussion, I suppose we should all simply assume that cold fusion is very common, accessible to everyone and dirt cheap in Weredigo's games.

Herald of Verjigorm: Absolutely correct.
mfb: Agreed, except that I still feel a miniature, very efficient cold fusion reactor for a few nuyen is still slightly more insane.

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Feb 24 2005, 09:20 PM

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 24 2005, 09:37 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Cold fusion does exist in the canon SR world, though, since apparently it was first successfully used by the LA Power & Water in 2027.

Can we get a reference for that? Not doubting, just curious.

+Quote Post
SirKodiak
post Feb 24 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,298

Hmmm, so this reminds me of a question, do they still have Segway in the future? And, if there is cold fusion, how fast can it go? And do they make versions size-appopriate for Dwarves and Trolls? Because nothing says Troll gunbunny like a motorized scooter.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Feb 24 2005, 09:54 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I can't find a reference to cold fusion, but the opening story in SR3 involves a hit on a fusion reactor and the Arc has three in the basement.

~J

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Feb 24 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (SirKodiak)
Hmmm, so this reminds me of a question, do they still have Segway in the future? And, if there is cold fusion, how fast can it go? And do they make versions size-appopriate for Dwarves and Trolls? Because nothing says Troll gunbunny like a motorized scooter.

Not sure what purpose these would serve in SR aside from aesthetics.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Feb 25 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

Fusion plants exist in Shadowrun, and it's possible to put them in vehicles, using the Rigger 3 rules.

The only vehicles capable of taking them, however, are ships with Hull Ratings instead of Body... and only the larger types of those. We're talking aircraft carriers, attack subs and boomers, cruisers, and large-to-OMFG freighters. Nothing with a Hull Rating lower than 5, and not even the Hull-5 destroyers.

The cheapest of those plants costs 100,000 design points, which, given the basic multiplier on that hull, works out to 20,000,000¥. (And that doesn't actually include the hull. Just the power plant.)

Fusion power in Shadowrun is neither compact nor cheap.

+Quote Post
SirKodiak
post Feb 25 2005, 12:41 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,298

Not sure what purpose these would serve in SR aside from aesthetics.

It's an interface for a vehicle so simple even a troll can use it.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Feb 25 2005, 12:44 AM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Pthgar)

I found it in Uncle Ancient's Guide to Nuclear Mojo. Where AH took it from, I have no idea.

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 25 2005, 05:28 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Don't forget this bike is completely houserule.
I'm also not clear on the handling. The way you have it actually makes psychotic drivers safer than cautious drivers.

Have an easier time with the motorcycle yes, be safer, no. Just because they want to pull off that nifty stunt doesn't mean they should. Don't forget they don't exactly stop on a dime.
there should be no way a one-wheeled vehicle has an offroad handling of 2. compared to that, cold fusion is sane.

Good point. Those were the numbers he came up with. Where would you put it?

A Troll on a scooter, the only problem I can see with that would be that the engine on that poor scooter would burn out quick. That's a lot of load to put on such a small and low power machine. If there could be some way of getting around that it might be fun. It's not like Trolls really need to be behind buttloads of armor anyways IMHO.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Feb 25 2005, 05:38 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

You talk about electromagnets to keep it balanced... how the hell could that possibly work?

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Feb 25 2005, 05:43 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Pthgar)

I found it in Uncle Ancient's Guide to Nuclear Mojo. Where AH took it from, I have no idea.

Also in the 6th World Wiki. I finally found it in on page 16 of SR 1st edition. I did not find it in SR3. It may be in SR2 but I don't have that anymore.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Feb 25 2005, 06:23 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

QUOTE (Weredigo)
Don't forget this bike is completely houserule.

To the point of being completely useless to anyone but you. You cannot put a fusion plant in something as small as a scooter without totally redefining the world's tech level, which has much farther-reaching effects than allowing powered unicycles.

And Shadowrun provides vehicle-design rules, anyway, which can be pretty easily adapted to build something like this. Here's one I whipped off in five minutes:

Handling: 2/5
Speed: 99
Accel.: 6
Body: 2
Armor: 0
Sig.: 5
Auto.: 0
Pilot: 0
Sensor: 0
Cargo: 0 CF
Load: 0 kg
Seating: 1m
Entry: -
Fuel: Electric Battery (125PF)
Econ.: 0.5km/PF
Chassis: Scooter
SI: 1
Avail.: 2/24hrs
Cost: 9,550¥
Features: GridLink Power, Drive-By-Wire 1, Gyrostabilization

It does not, you might note, require cold fusion. It doesn't even use fancy-dancy stuff like electric fuel cells. Just a plain old battery. The range isn't all that hot, but it can tap the grid for power in cities, and I really wouldn't want to do long-haul driving with something like this, anyway. It could be improved easily enough, too, but that'd jack the price or the size significantly.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 25 2005, 07:41 AM
Post #20

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

I'll just take my shoebox-sized Cold Fusion reactor, attach a handheld particle accelerator to it, and then run around capturing spirits with it into another shoebox-sized containment unit. Then I'll get some musician to write a theme song for me and totally ruin his career. I'll call it "Spirit Crackers" or "Spectre Getters"...

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 25 2005, 07:48 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Hey Cool... don't know about the 99 speed and the price though. They're supposed to be rather cheap and expendable. After a crash a GOOD technician could probly pick it for maybe 25 from the player or from police auction and get it working again. Afterwards sell it for retail value.

As far as the speed goes. I wouldn't want any player taking this thing up to 200mph or over. The chances of getting into an accident get higher the faster you go, and the chances of surviving a crash on one of these things get's real slim. 99 MPH I can go with.

You talk about electromagnets to keep it balanced... how the hell could that possibly work?

Kinda like how electromagnets move a fan, but in an omnidirectional x/y/z axis, instead of just two different directions on one axis. the electromagnets are mounted inside the sphere, and two are mounted on the one of the Rings of they gyroscope, the rings on the gyroscope would be energized by motion and static, on the sphere, depending on if a tweak in balance is needed would be energized by computer.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Feb 25 2005, 07:55 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Erm, 99 speed, I believe, translates into 99 m / 3 sec, or 118k/h. Not exactly 99miles/h. But still unreasonably high for a vehicle you're going to be trying damn hard just to hold onto at that speed. 99 miles per hour would be completely ludicrous.

Your description of using electromagnets for stability makes no sense at all.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 25 2005, 07:59 AM
Post #23

Mr. Johnson

He's talking about a gyroscope in which the rotation is powered using magnets.

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 25 2005, 08:04 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

not exactly, the gyroscopes movement is supplied by the bikes engine, some brushes on some of the inner rings create static electricity that energizes the two EM's on the outer rings, which move in close proximity to a Field of EM's that are secured to the inside of a sphere. you send a signal to one of the Field EM's either to attract or repel, and it's going to create a little bit of motive force at that one single location.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 25 2005, 08:06 AM
Post #25

Mr. Johnson

QUOTE (Weredigo @ Feb 25 2005, 03:04 AM)
not exactly, the gyroscope moves on it's own, some brushes on some of the inner rings create static electricity that energizes the two EM's on the outer rings, which move in close proximity to a Field of EM's that are secured to the inside of a sphere.  you send a signal to one of the Field EM's either to attract or repel, and it's going to create a little bit of motive force at that one single location.

*sighs*

You're talking about a gyroscope in which the rotation is powered using magnets. A similar concept is called an electromagnetic generator, and is commonly used to convert motive power into electrical power.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:06 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.