Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Missing Locales, ...from New Seattle
FrostyNSO
post Feb 26 2005, 02:21 AM
Post #1

Resident Legionnaire

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,550

Whatever happened to Icarus Descending? Or the Alabaster Maiden?

Others are missing, like Syberspace, and The Big Rhino.

Am I looney, I coulda sworn these were in the old seattle sourcebook, but we're talking ancient history here so I could be wrong.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Feb 26 2005, 03:07 AM
Post #2

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

The Big Rhino. THere's a name I haven't heard in a while. Guess they were looking for new stuff.

+Quote Post
ef31415
post Feb 26 2005, 03:09 AM
Post #3

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,886

I was very disappointed in New Seattle. There was no Seattle in the Seattle. For instance, on the cover there was absolutely nothing that said you were in Seattle -- no Space Needle, Mt Ranier, Puget Sound, Ban Roll-On Building, anything.

==Ed

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 26 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Feb 25 2005, 07:21 PM)
Whatever happened to Icarus Descending?  Or the Alabaster Maiden?

Others are missing, like Syberspace, and The Big Rhino.

Am I looney, I coulda sworn these were in the old seattle sourcebook, but we're talking ancient history here so I could be wrong.

Big Rhino and Icarus Descending are on p.120.
Alabaster Maiden and Sybrespace are on p.121.
They're in the Location Index. You get a name, address, and ten or so words on each.
The entire description of Big Rhino is, "Large restaurant, ork cuisine." New Seattle, 120.

I find it incomprehensible that Dante's and Club Penumbra aren't completely wak in New Seattle (CP did get a slight diss in SSG), given the sheer amount of suspension of disbelief it takes to think either would be around, let alone major spots, after ten years.

Of course, New Seattle is a retarded name for an SB. meh.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Feb 26 2005, 03:26 AM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

the old Seattle was and is excellent. It really gave yopu a feeling that this was a place where people lived and loved. New Seattle was more caught up with this is corp A, this is corp B on we go. It seemed endemoic of the poorer quality stuff FASA was producting at that period, they seemed to lose sight of what made SR work.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Feb 26 2005, 03:28 AM
Post #6

Resident Legionnaire

Agreed. I don't know exactly what it was, but the old Seattle book just had more personality. New Seattle reads like a textbook at times.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Feb 26 2005, 04:15 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

Anyone read that Seattle 2064 update that was on TSS? Supposedly they'll be releasing the rest sooner or later....

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 26 2005, 04:29 AM
Post #8

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

Anyone read that Seattle 2064 update that was on TSS?

<shakes fist>

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Feb 26 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

And when a dragon shakes a fist, look out.

I have not been able to read New Seattle like I could SSB. I thought it was just me.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Feb 26 2005, 01:54 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

nope. it wasnt just you. it was just them.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Feb 26 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

I'm curious as to what you think FASA should have done with New Seattle.

An updated Seattle book had to be produced. Seattle Sourcebook was 9 years old, and it no longer had the look-and-feel of the Shadowrun line. Simply re-printing Seattle Sourcebook was not an option. If they had simply re-packaged Seattle Sourcebook with an updated layout and updated art, fans would hate it and think it was a rip off. Plus, the timeline had moved, so parts of the city had changed, and of course a lot of the shadowtext is no longer valid, as SR1-style shadowtext was often very focused on the immediate time frame.

Disregarding flaws in the execution of New Seattle [that is: dry writing, poor pieces of art, etc], I thought the concept was pretty good. It still had a bunch of short locations that a GM could use, almost all of which had some sort of plot hooks, and it also had a bunch of good information about corps, crime, and the city government -- all stuff that I think is pretty useful for building a campaign.

Seattle Sourcebook has long been one of my favourite books, and it was certainly one of them that really made my eyes go wide as it pushed the possibilities of Shadowurn directly into my head. Likewise, I think New Seattle is a worthy successor -- I don't think it's that different from Seattle Sourcebook, to be frank. The main differences: It's shorter, and more page count is devoted to explanation text about major subjects on a Seattle-wide scale, as opposed to descriptions of bars and clubs.

So, how would you realistically build a Seattle book?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Feb 26 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i find that i need both NS and SSB to properly run games in Seattle. NS has more useful info about politics--criminal, national, and corporate (if there's really any difference)--and 'big picture' stuff. SSB, on the other hand, has maps, and lots more neighborhood info. i really don't use the locations provided by either unless it's necessary, though i do enjoy reading about them--in SSB moreso than NS.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Feb 26 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner

Adam, you responded? To quote Rostand, "That somehow fails to surprise me."
QUOTE (Adam @ Feb 26 2005, 11:56 AM)

Disregarding flaws in the execution of New Seattle [that is: dry writing, poor pieces of art, etc],
and that made all the difference. bad art and poor writing turned in into little more than number crunching and an almost a yellow pages index of corps.

Seattle Sourcebook has long been one of my favourite books, and it was certainly one of them that really made my eyes go wide as it pushed the possibilities of Shadowurn directly into my head.
Here you and I are in absolute, complete and utter agreement. I remember buying when visiting my parents, curling up in an easy chair by the fair and litterally just pouring over it for hours. If the original SSB had not been so wonderful, I don't think I would have such a bad view of NS, but it went up against what is arguably one of the best Source books ever written.

Instead of a whole new SB this could have been a chapter in a Target SB, a chapter updating Seattle while listing other cities, would have not been as likely to draw fire as it would have been just a part of a book instead of a new volume.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Feb 26 2005, 08:00 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Adam, you responded? To quote Rostand, "That somehow fails to surprise me."

Newsflash: I care what people think about Shadowrun stuff, even if I don't always agree with them.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Feb 26 2005, 11:34 PM
Post #15

Resident Legionnaire

If I remember correctly, I remember the blurbs on the clubs and restaurants in old seattle giving the places more personality.

Dantes, sure it has the seven levels of blab blah blah, but really it was just another club (a big club) in a sea of other clubs.

Without looking in the book, what distinguishes club Penumbra from the Underworld 93 aside from location? What pops into your head first?
I find I have to think before I come up with anything.

Not like when i think of Icarus Descending. Instantly, I think, "Racist Elf Establishment".

Or the Big Rhino. "Ork cuisine? What is ork cuisine?" Alabaster Maiden. "Tart who turned herself to stone. I outta be able to hire a mage here."

I dunno. Maybe it is just me.
I find that I default to my memories of the old seattle sourcebook more often and only use New Seattle when I need quick info on Lone Star or the Halloweeners.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Feb 26 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #16

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (FrostyNSO)
Without looking in the book, what distinguishes club Penumbra from the Underworld 93 aside from location? What pops into your head first?
I find I have to think before I come up with anything.

Two words: Concrete Dreams. At least in Shadowrun canon, they are bigger and more well-known than the Beatles (and the Beatles said they were "bigger than Jesus" at one point).

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 26 2005, 11:48 PM
Post #17

Beetle Eater

From the top of my head, Penumbra is a dingy, loud runners nightclub, while Underworld 93 is a celeberty hot spot that show cases the hottest talent.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Feb 27 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #18

Resident Legionnaire

I don't see a band ever becoming bigger than the Beatles were in their day and age. Even nowadays, bands come and go so fast that most can fall into the "fad" catagory. There is so much out there and it is so easy to be exposed to new sounds. I don't see anyone shocking the world like the Beatles did ever again. If so, Concrete Dreams must be way out there musically.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Feb 27 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #19

Beetle Eater

Wouldn't all you'd have to do is tap the Chinese market?

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Feb 27 2005, 12:10 AM
Post #20

Resident Legionnaire

Yeah, and just about every other record company in the world will be trying to do the same thing.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Feb 27 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #21

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Wouldn't all you'd have to do is tap the Chinese market?

Depends. Whilst China has a lot of citizens, people that have enough disposable income to buy albums and the like are a lot more limited.

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Feb 27 2005, 02:30 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

Nah, yer not wrong, I have the Seattle Sourcebook. You need info on the place, PM or Email me...

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 27 2005, 06:15 AM
Post #23

Guests

QUOTE (FrostyNSO @ Feb 26 2005, 04:34 PM)
Dantes, sure it has the seven levels of blab blah blah, but really it was just another club (a big club) in a sea of other clubs.

Nine levels, actually.

Which reminds me. I wrote this as a counterpart to someone else's "Dis Lounge" (I think it was DE) that was used for when they ran Brainscan on SL.

QUOTE (The Phlegethon Ring)
The Phlegethon Ring is the outer ring of the Seventh Circle at Dante's Inferno. Clubgoers first enter this Circle of the club from any of the four spiral staircases circling the club on the way down to Hell. This ring is the section of the Seventh Circle where violent sinners spend eternity, and the imagery and ambience has been tailored accordingly. Those who enter this Circle are first treated to the sight of the large minotaurs who stand at the entrance to the Circle from the stairwell landings. Inside, the Ring is mainly composed of large and always-reserved booths which extend around the Circle. Those who reserve the booths may also request table service of their favorite libations at hyper-inflated costs, or anything else that they wish to order from the club's menu. Sim peddlers float throughout the ring and in the forest of suicide shades separating the Phlegethon Ring from the glass dance floor in the middle of the Circle as they prey on yet another vice-seeking partygoer to make a buy.

The layout of the ring is designed to appear to look like a river of boiling blood. Various magical and technological effects enhance the illusion, such as the crimson steam which shoots out from the floor at random intervals from jets located around the ring. The walls behind the booths appear to be forever dripping with blood, which also randomly emits red puffs. Because the club's owner wasn't about to stick rock formations around the ring, he has made due by having the partions between the booths cast out of carved ferrocrete which is painted to look like jagged and bloody rocks. The booth cushions are deep crimson velvet and black. The tables also appear to be large rocks with flat tops, with menu guides built into the table. Various staffmembers wander through the ring magically disguished as centaurs or other creatures which dwell in the Seventh Circle as they make their way to the bars which are also located in Phlegethon. The bars themselves also appear to be dripping with blood like the walls while minotaurs (or what appear to be minotaurs) serve the drinks..

There's also a Dante's in London and Hong Kong according to NS, even though SOTA63 says, "[Purgatory Central, in Atlanta] is the first international venture by the owners of the famous Dante's Inferno in Seattle" (112).

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Feb 27 2005, 06:52 AM
Post #24

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

Does that mean that London and Hong Kong can not be 2nd and 3rd?

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Feb 27 2005, 07:39 AM
Post #25

Guests

Well, Purgatory was new in SOTA63, whereas NS predates it. However, "new" is vague enough in SOTA that... it could be, and probably they are. It's just weird wording.

But OTOH, I vaguely recall a 1e or 2e book mentioning a Dante's in Milan and some other city. I must investigate !!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.