Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Soaking, What is it?
hunter5150
post Mar 2 2005, 02:32 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,152

I have heard on this and other forums the concept of soaking damage discussed. I have checked both my SR3 and my CC and I cannot find any mention of it in these terms. Is there something I am missing or is this another term for a canon concept. Please enlighten my ignorance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aku
post Mar 2 2005, 02:26 AM
Post #2

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

its the term used for the bod test to see if through sheer body power, you can take the bullet

+Quote Post
mfb
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

it's a term borrowed from White Wolf, that means "rolling damage resistance".

+Quote Post
mmu1
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

Soaking is just another way of saying resisting. Soaking damage = resisting damage, aka the Body test in the case of SR.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 2 2005, 02:27 AM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

I can think of two meanings. One is from "the other game" and has to do with Damage Resistance and Damage Reduction. Soak in that game means an X amount of hit point damage is "soaked" from each hit, subtracting directly from the damage.

The other, more Shadowrun-relevant meaning would be hardened armor, or variations thereof (Immunity: Normal Weapons). If the power of the attack doesn't exceed the hardened armor, it does no damage.

+Quote Post
hunter5150
post Mar 2 2005, 02:27 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 4,152

Thanks

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Mar 2 2005, 02:28 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

Soaking generally refers to the body roll you make resist damage. If a PC manages to comepletely stage down an attack, then he's 'soaked' it. A troll with a maxed Body stat is good at 'soaking,' etc.

*edit*
Crimeny, you people are fast. There was one view, and no replies when I read this topic, and just one response shown by the time I hit submit.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Mar 2 2005, 02:31 AM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Also, someone who just got sprayed with a cascade rifle would be "soaking" as well, but in dmso/whatever was mixed with it. :spin:

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Mar 2 2005, 02:41 AM
Post #9

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Also, someone who just got sprayed with a cascade rifle would be "soaking" as well, but in dmso/whatever was mixed with it. :spin:

Then there are ZetaImp Chem splash grenades. I suppose you can get "soaked" there, too.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.