Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soaking
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hunter5150
I have heard on this and other forums the concept of soaking damage discussed. I have checked both my SR3 and my CC and I cannot find any mention of it in these terms. Is there something I am missing or is this another term for a canon concept. Please enlighten my ignorance.
Aku
its the term used for the bod test to see if through sheer body power, you can take the bullet
mfb
it's a term borrowed from White Wolf, that means "rolling damage resistance".
mmu1
Soaking is just another way of saying resisting. Soaking damage = resisting damage, aka the Body test in the case of SR.
hahnsoo
I can think of two meanings. One is from "the other game" and has to do with Damage Resistance and Damage Reduction. Soak in that game means an X amount of hit point damage is "soaked" from each hit, subtracting directly from the damage.

The other, more Shadowrun-relevant meaning would be hardened armor, or variations thereof (Immunity: Normal Weapons). If the power of the attack doesn't exceed the hardened armor, it does no damage.
hunter5150
Thanks
Sandoval Smith
Soaking generally refers to the body roll you make resist damage. If a PC manages to comepletely stage down an attack, then he's 'soaked' it. A troll with a maxed Body stat is good at 'soaking,' etc.

*edit*
Crimeny, you people are fast. There was one view, and no replies when I read this topic, and just one response shown by the time I hit submit.
Tarantula
Also, someone who just got sprayed with a cascade rifle would be "soaking" as well, but in dmso/whatever was mixed with it. spin.gif
hahnsoo
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Also, someone who just got sprayed with a cascade rifle would be "soaking" as well, but in dmso/whatever was mixed with it. spin.gif

Then there are ZetaImp Chem splash grenades. I suppose you can get "soaked" there, too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012