Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Motivations of the Big Corporations, Inspired by the Shockwaves thread
JaronK
post Mar 8 2005, 02:41 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,323

So, after reading through the shockwaves thread (which talked a lot about the motivations behind Proteus) I was wondering... what are the motivations behind the other big guys? I only have the information from the rulebooks (most of the third edition rule books, but none of the newest or the fluff heavy ones). The main ones I want to know about are Ares, Aztecknowledgy, and Saeder Krupp, but the others I would be fun too. Any thoughts?

JaronK
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Mar 8 2005, 02:58 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

Making money , perhaps? :)

+Quote Post
SirKalamon
post Mar 8 2005, 03:05 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 7,079

Corporate download is your best bet my friend.

+Quote Post
JaronK
post Mar 8 2005, 03:16 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,323

Well I haven't got that, nor the money to purchase it...

JaronK

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 8 2005, 03:16 AM
Post #5

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Ares: munny, munny, munny.

Aztechnology: until recently, bringing the Horrors into the world. Since the purge of the Blood Mages, it's anyone's guess (and could be the same, for all we know).

Saeder-Krupp: an extension of Lofwyr's will, nothing less or more.

~J

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 8 2005, 03:31 AM
Post #6

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Lets see. Ares is all about Knight and his bid for even more money and power. Aztlan the same, controlling Aztlan is part of that. They used to be big in Horrors and blood magic but the blood mage faction of the Aztechnology board fell out of power - all those resources spent promising real ultimate power and then coming up with nothing came back to bite them. Lofwyr is the typical dragon, all the other races are less than he is and should do as he thinks. SK is the manifestation of this and his grab for wealth and power - damn, there's those two yet again. ;)

Edit: And Kagetenshi beats me to the punch. :)

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Mar 8 2005, 03:27 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

One almost gets the feeling that megacorps are so scary because they don't have motivations-- they just have intertia, clout, and an incredible self-perpetuative ability. They exist as legal entities but are no more human than AIs. They are the impersonal juggernauts rampaging through the sixth world--little corporate Horrors in their own right.

That being said, individual power-players within megacorps have goals, that's for sure.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 8 2005, 03:54 AM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

It's interesting to note, out of the Big Ten, how many are led by powerful and easily-recognizable personalities. Saeder-Krupp, Ares, Novatech, these three are all very much what they are because of single people at their head—not many of the larger corporations these days can say the same.
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Edit: And Kagetenshi beats me to the punch. :)

Ninja-post and kung-fu grip! Collect all twelve!

~J

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 8 2005, 04:33 AM
Post #9

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

Whilst they've got singular heads, they can't do everything for the company. So whilst there's certainly someone looking at the big picture/strategic planning, the more you go down the more it gets delegated to faceless flunkies. Never mind the internal bickering and fighting.

And whilst I may have been beaten to the punch... *Kicks Kagetenshi in the shin* Nyah! :P

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Mar 8 2005, 06:32 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

Yeah it's funny how so few of the Japanese mega's make the cut. I run my game in Detroit, so I use a lot of Ares CatCo stuff. I run pre Fuchi breakup so they get thrown in a bit as well. I really like some of the Japanese megas especially Mitsuhama. Yakuza ties, big mojo, shady business practices. Shiawase is fun too if for nothing else than their MIFD and the fact it's major shareholders are almost all from the same family. Takes sibling rivalry to another level, neh?
:nuyen: :nuyen: :nuyen:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.