Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motivations of the Big Corporations
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
JaronK
So, after reading through the shockwaves thread (which talked a lot about the motivations behind Proteus) I was wondering... what are the motivations behind the other big guys? I only have the information from the rulebooks (most of the third edition rule books, but none of the newest or the fluff heavy ones). The main ones I want to know about are Ares, Aztecknowledgy, and Saeder Krupp, but the others I would be fun too. Any thoughts?

JaronK
Capt. Dave
Making money , perhaps? smile.gif
SirKalamon
Corporate download is your best bet my friend.
JaronK
Well I haven't got that, nor the money to purchase it...

JaronK
Kagetenshi
Ares: munny, munny, munny.

Aztechnology: until recently, bringing the Horrors into the world. Since the purge of the Blood Mages, it's anyone's guess (and could be the same, for all we know).

Saeder-Krupp: an extension of Lofwyr's will, nothing less or more.

~J
FlakJacket
Lets see. Ares is all about Knight and his bid for even more money and power. Aztlan the same, controlling Aztlan is part of that. They used to be big in Horrors and blood magic but the blood mage faction of the Aztechnology board fell out of power - all those resources spent promising real ultimate power and then coming up with nothing came back to bite them. Lofwyr is the typical dragon, all the other races are less than he is and should do as he thinks. SK is the manifestation of this and his grab for wealth and power - damn, there's those two yet again. wink.gif

Edit: And Kagetenshi beats me to the punch. smile.gif
RangerJoe
One almost gets the feeling that megacorps are so scary because they don't have motivations-- they just have intertia, clout, and an incredible self-perpetuative ability. They exist as legal entities but are no more human than AIs. They are the impersonal juggernauts rampaging through the sixth world--little corporate Horrors in their own right.

That being said, individual power-players within megacorps have goals, that's for sure.
Kagetenshi
It's interesting to note, out of the Big Ten, how many are led by powerful and easily-recognizable personalities. Saeder-Krupp, Ares, Novatech, these three are all very much what they are because of single people at their head—not many of the larger corporations these days can say the same.
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
Edit: And Kagetenshi beats me to the punch. smile.gif

Ninja-post and kung-fu grip! Collect all twelve!

~J
FlakJacket
Whilst they've got singular heads, they can't do everything for the company. So whilst there's certainly someone looking at the big picture/strategic planning, the more you go down the more it gets delegated to faceless flunkies. Never mind the internal bickering and fighting.

And whilst I may have been beaten to the punch... *Kicks Kagetenshi in the shin* Nyah! nyahnyah.gif
TeOdio
Yeah it's funny how so few of the Japanese mega's make the cut. I run my game in Detroit, so I use a lot of Ares CatCo stuff. I run pre Fuchi breakup so they get thrown in a bit as well. I really like some of the Japanese megas especially Mitsuhama. Yakuza ties, big mojo, shady business practices. Shiawase is fun too if for nothing else than their MIFD and the fact it's major shareholders are almost all from the same family. Takes sibling rivalry to another level, neh?
nuyen.gif nuyen.gif nuyen.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012