Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Street Magic, So much for one book's enough :(
Aes
post Mar 15 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,971

Browsing the FanPro 2005 catalogue from Battlecorps in pdf format, this just sprung to my eye:

Street Magic™
The Advanced magic book for Shadowrun Fourth Edition. Details the nature of magic and its effects on society in the year 2070. Also contains advanced rules for alternate magic traditions, initiation and metamagic, enchanting, new spells and adept powers, the metaplanes of astral space, and a host of magical threats.

Emphasis mine.

So not only do we get a new streamlined book, but we also get the extra advanced rules announced at the same time? Am I the only one feeling a sense of deja vu here?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 15 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

sad, and thus all my hopes and dream did come crashing about my head.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

heh...beat ya to it :)

+Quote Post
mfb
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

yes. it'd be a much better idea to release a $200, 600-page book that contains all the rules, ever. that'd be a great way to draw new players in, and certainly wouldn't be financial suicide.

+Quote Post
UpSyndrome
post Mar 15 2005, 08:25 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,506

Exactly what I was worried about. I understand they need to make money, but I gotta eat, and by the time I can buy another 20 shadowrun books (cause that's about how many 3rd edition books I have), they'll probably be working on 5th edition (which has more to do with my financial situation than the speed at which they produce more editions).

-Joe

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Mar 15 2005, 08:27 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Yeah, it does look like a rehash - I hope they put something truly different in there or people will really howl for heads.

Frankly, at least it's better than WH40K which doesn't try to be backwards compatible....*grumble*

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 15 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

so, they should... what? not release new products? or package everything into one insanely expensive tome, so that nobody can afford it? release schedules are how gaming works.

however. it will be interesting to see if FP follows the new WotC model, and begin releasing books as both hardcopy and .pdf downloads.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Mar 15 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Yeah, like mfb said. It really depends on how they do it. WotC's streamlining of D&D's rules and their foundation in the basic player's and DM's handbooks didn't prevent them from coming out with later books with advanced rules. But it's still all based in their basic books.

+Quote Post
UpSyndrome
post Mar 15 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 6,506

I'm not saying what they should or should not do, I'm just whining about how it affects me. Don't read too far into a completely self centered post.

EDIT: Also, I hope they don't do it like WOTC, who seems to think that they won't sell books unless they add in slightly more powerful feats/new races/base classes that completely escalate the game over time. A number of people I know have come to hate that style (mostly DMs).

-Joe

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Mar 15 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #10

Slacker Extraordinaire

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 997

Having the core system in one book is excellent. Some systems require two (D&D) or more (WoD) books to have the base rules to play the base 'classes'. Regardless of the game; advanced rules, niche themes, and cap systems should be expected in future supplements. An ongoing line of quality products ensures the game company can stay in business, and keeps our heads filled with a continuous stream of concepts for characters and campaigns for years to follow.

+Quote Post
k1tsune
post Mar 15 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,740

I dunno. I sorta liked the magic book. It meant that non-Awakened sorts could pretty much ignore it, and Awakened-sorts could clutch it like the holy book it is.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Mar 15 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #12

Running Target

eh, I see what you're saying, mfb. But I hope at least they include (and drop some of the flatly stupid things) the magic supplementals in SOTA 64 as well as T:AL, etc. If they combine everything while they streamline, that would be nice.

I do hope they don't merge shamans and mages tho...I always liked the dichotomy of the scientific versus nature in magical styles.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Mar 15 2005, 08:51 PM
Post #13

Guests

Oh, dude. Don't even get me started.

As I was discussing with mfb last night: I'd be tickled thirteen shades of pink if this meant breaking up the totems into new traditions, at the very least to cut down on the insane number of totems. Given the rules expansions for different types of Hermetics, euro-magic, the Paths of Wujen, Loa, Wheel, Adept, Mage and Shaman can be easily expanded so that Mage includes the Hermetic schools and Shaman is divided into geographic totems, which are different other than in name only, while Idol followers and Mythic/Paranormal Totems are also treated differently because they are different.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Mar 15 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Eh...I kinda like having the insane number of totems myself. But that's my opinion, so it really doesn't matter all that much.

Frankly, as long as it's all in the expansion and not spread through God's creation I'll be happy.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Mar 15 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #15

Guests

Well, I also like DE's ideas about totems.

But there is a certain point where some of the totems and idols would be one and the same in certain geographic regions, and the rules should reflect that. I see no reason why I can't play someone from Pueblo who follows Sky Father or Plumed Serpent, especially since they are both part of the mythology of the region. But at the same time, the idea of a Lion or Gator shaman in PCC is ridiculous. I don't even know where they came from that they'd be NA totems.

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Mar 15 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

I would hope that "Street Magic" is mainly a fluff book, giving details and backgrounds to the various magical traditions, with only a small "Advanced Rules" section.
Think "Awakenings" instead of "Magic in the Shadows".

+Quote Post
apple
post Mar 15 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,827

Well, you can hope for a peaceful world, where everyone is happy, too ... ;-)

I suppose, that the new magic book will be mainly a rule book with a minor fluff-section. But I always said that a Target: Magic would be nice.

SYL

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Mar 15 2005, 09:05 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

There's also a lot more to consider than just opinions of which you like better. I mean, right now, shamans have a ruleset for their use of magic, hermetics have another one (their spirit conjuring works differently, they don't get totem bonuses, etc.), houngans have another one (yes, yet another system for spirit conjuring), etc., etc.

To me, from a design perspective, that's a bit of a nightmare. It's not really a matter of whether I like the material or not, but you've got a situation where it's already a mess on the bottom, no less building and developing on it later (like adding stuff like the Hermetic schools, which I love the concept of, but it makes a complicated system even more complicated).

Really, I'd think you'd want as fundamentally basic a system on the bottom as possible, regardless of whether you're talking about shamans, hermetics, houngans, wuxing, psionicists, followers of the Many-Headed Puppy God, whatever. Then leave it open enough that you can expand on it with advanced rules that create conceptual differences between the various types of casters while all working on the same basic rules system.

Kinda like what Crimson mentioned, where Hermetic Schools and Totems might work with the same basic rules frame in mind. That said, I really have no idea what they are doing yet or have planned. So we'll see.

+Quote Post
apple
post Mar 15 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,827

Well, considerung SOTA 64 and the elemental schools from the MitS (+2w6 for combat spells, -1w6 for illusions for exemple), its already pretty similar.

SYL

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 15 2005, 09:17 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

here's how it ought to work.

magic can be bought on a point-by-point basis. only want two points? buy two points. want to be a full mage? buy six. this should be possible both during chargen and during play.

each point of magic comes with a single metamagic. in this case, the ability to cast a single type of spell (combat, manipulation, etc.) would count as one metamagic, as would be the ability to conjure a single spirit type (fire elemental, spirit of man, etcetera).

package deals would be available: you could buy the Hermetic Mage package, and get a whopping eleven metamagics for your 6 magic (five types of spells, four spirits, astral perception, astral projection). your selection of future metamagics would, however, be limited, as are your means of advancement--you'd have to use the trappings of your chosen school for all rituals, libraries, etcetera.

alternatively, you could be Eclectic. buy magic on a point-for-point basis, selecting whatever metamagic you desire. you get less bang for your buck, but your options for advancement are wide open. you would be able to use any trappings from any school, or make up your own.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Mar 15 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #21

Running Target

I like the concept, but how would the adept fit in?

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 15 2005, 09:20 PM
Post #22

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Don't forget to toss Physical Magic in there

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 15 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

i think adept package deals would be based on their path, and would offer discounts on certain powers. each power point would count as a seperat metamagic.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Mar 15 2005, 09:25 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

The difference between SR and, say, D&D 3.0 is that while WotC released tons of new material for D&D - regional books, books with new spells, new feats, new prestige classes, etc., which could and did result in power creep and general clutter, it didn't actually release very many new rules.

In SR, magic, rigging and decking are not expanded in the "supplements", they're changed in major ways. And while SR should get some slack because of how many different facets it has, this sort of massive rules-bloat is an indication of a poor design.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Mar 15 2005, 09:48 PM
Post #25

Guests

QUOTE (mfb)
here's how it ought to work.

magic can be bought on a point-by-point basis. only want two points? buy two points. want to be a full mage? buy six. this should be possible both during chargen and during play.

each point of magic comes with a single metamagic. in this case, the ability to cast a single type of spell (combat, manipulation, etc.) would count as one metamagic, as would be the ability to conjure a single spirit type (fire elemental, spirit of man, etcetera).

package deals would be available: you could buy the Hermetic Mage package, and get a whopping eleven metamagics for your 6 magic (five types of spells, four spirits, astral perception, astral projection). your selection of future metamagics would, however, be limited, as are your means of advancement--you'd have to use the trappings of your chosen school for all rituals, libraries, etcetera.

alternatively, you could be Eclectic. buy magic on a point-for-point basis, selecting whatever metamagic you desire. you get less bang for your buck, but your options for advancement are wide open. you would be able to use any trappings from any school, or make up your own.

Pssst.

Example

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:04 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.