Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR4, A joke right?
Grimtooth
post Mar 15 2005, 09:05 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,430

You mean to tell me that there are still unpulished sourcebooks that are in the works such as System Failure, and Loose alliances,

AND THESE GUYS ARE RELEASLING A 4TH EDITION???????!!!!??????

That is messed up.

Please tell me this is an Ides of March kinda thing, cause April 1st is still a long way off.

/stalks off dumbfounded
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
apple
post Mar 15 2005, 09:22 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,827

No joke ... the coming books are the "break"-books, who will transform the sixth world to world 6.5 ...

loose alliance is a background book ... and should be compatible with 4th edition.

SYL

+Quote Post
arkadi
post Mar 15 2005, 09:14 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 6,340

Yeah, that was my initial reaction too. Now I'm kinda starting to like the idea, but at the same time I have doubts about the (supposed) 4th Edition. Oh, and there's the whole buying-new-versions-of-the-old-rules-expansions-books thing. That's something I'd hope we'd be able to skip with SR4, but that's just not going to happen.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 15 2005, 09:16 PM
Post #4

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Well, the business model is:
Core book for X
Expansion books for .5 to .75 X

Write at least 15 expansion books

Cretae new edition

+Quote Post
lord_cack
post Mar 15 2005, 09:26 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,853

I hate, hate, hate revamps. I mean not because the content isn't good. Because lord knows what 3rd edition did for Dungeons and Dragons. But I thought 3.5 edition was ridiculous, and the only reason I bought a 3.5 Players Handbook was because on of my players took my Original. It is an attempt to milk the consumer. But, of course it is same said consumers fault for constant complaining and B;+ching that gets the changes made in the first place right.....

I don't think their was anything wrong with SR3, I have seen numerous posts to the contrary. But, I liked Shadowrun, not just because it was and still is a great system (I happen to like the fact that each system is separate...<begin sarcasm>I mean Brain Surgery and Open Heart Surgery are COMPLETELY different types of surgery....But, they are both surgery right...<end sarcasm>), but because it has a "roots-y" quality. It stood in the face of WotC and its fancy D20 machine. I mean it didn't do near the business, but it didn't bow and follow either.

Don't get me wrong, I know this is a business and you got to make money or things tend to fade away. But, it just somehow feels wrong.

I am not buying it, not because it won't be good, but because the company seems to be leaching on to the "Update Juggernaut" and tagging along for the ride....catch what cash falls in its wake...Because if they are hoping to catch WotC in terms of sales or even get a foothold in the market (other than what they got) then my advice would be stick with what got you there, because no change can catch OGL and D20...and that sucks.

(Note, if this is all some sort of "Early April Fools Suprise" then disreguard all prior statements)

+Quote Post
apple
post Mar 15 2005, 09:31 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,827

QUOTE (lord_cack)
It is an attempt to milk the consumer.
[...]
But, it just somehow feels wrong.

Yeah right ... that must be the reason why you can dowload the entire core rule books for 0$ from WOTC.

And wrong? Like 2nd edition compared to 1st edition? DnD 3rd edition compared to 3rd edtion?

SYL

+Quote Post
arkadi
post Mar 15 2005, 09:34 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 6,340

QUOTE (lord_cack @ Mar 15 2005, 04:26 PM)
(Note, if this is all some sort of "Early April Fools Suprise" then disreguard all prior statements)

If this is "Early April Fools Surpise" thing then someone is going to pay. Seriously, scaring people with the whole "New Edition, Need More Money" routine isn't fun.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Mar 15 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Someone is going to pay? We all will, that is, if we actually want to own the new edition.

+Quote Post
lord_cack
post Mar 15 2005, 09:46 PM
Post #9

Target

Why release SOTA 2064 just to release an update set 6 years in the future....I am going on the record saying this is bogus....

+Quote Post
lord_cack
post Mar 15 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #10

Target

I would like to know where you went and Downloaded Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition for $0....and for the record, I said nothing about the new system being bad, or not comparing to the other two systems...I simply stated (In more words) that I will not be purchasing the new edition because I own a perfectly fine Shadowrun Edition, I need nothing fixed....and that I think it is a way of milking the consumer...maybe not in the way I feel WotC has with DnD but none the less Milking is being done...plust as you can see by my last post...I think the whole thing is bogus...if it isn't OH well...They won't be getting my 30 bucks...

+Quote Post
ThatPaolo
post Mar 15 2005, 10:05 PM
Post #11

the Coke in the Machine

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 46

I they don't get your money, how are they "milking the customer"?

+Quote Post
lord_cack
post Mar 15 2005, 10:00 PM
Post #12

Target

There not milking this customer...everyone else can be milked if they want (you can milk anything with nipples...)...I just enjoy complaining...and hate change....especially when things dont NEED changed....

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 15 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

D&D v3.5, free of charge and fully legal.

yes, darn those game companies and their evil plans to make money by selling things people want to buy.

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Mar 15 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #14

Slacker Extraordinaire

Member No.: 997

QUOTE (lord_cack)
I would like to know where you went and Downloaded Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition for $0

I would hope he is refering to the System Reference Document (SRD) which can be downloaded from the wizards website or found elsewhere online (in a perfectly legal form). It contains the rules, with no fluff minus proper names, deities, character creation information, and character advancement information. It also lacks some of the interesting information that can be gleaned from the DMG and a few key monsters.

www.wizards.com/d20
www.systemreferencedocuments.org

+Quote Post
lord_cack
post Mar 15 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #15

Target

Yes I see now...that is completely the same thing as buying the Dungeons and Dragons Players Handbook.....<end Sarcasm> Offering rules options online free (considering that the system is an OPEN liscence) is not the same as Downloading the PDF of The Dungeons and Dragons PlayersHandbook...

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 15 2005, 10:13 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

yes, actually, it is. it means that you can play D&D3.5 without spending a single cent. these aren't rules options, they are the rules.

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Mar 15 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #17

Slacker Extraordinaire

QUOTE (lord_cack)
Yes I see now...that is completely the same thing as buying the Dungeons and Dragons Players Handbook.....<end Sarcasm>

We're getting off topic a bit here, but yes it is exactly the same. It's everything that you get in the players handbook minus the intellectual property and artwork that can not be freely distributed and one set of rules (character creation/advancement) which can be acquired pretty darn easily (and equally legally).

I run my game entirely from the SRD and one page of notes on character advancement.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 15 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #18

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

QUOTE (lord_cack)
Why release SOTA 2064 just to release an update set 6 years in the future....I am going on the record saying this is bogus....

Feel free, but I'm playtesting SR4, and I can assure it's not a joke.

+Quote Post
lord_cack
post Mar 15 2005, 10:21 PM
Post #19

Target

I cant believe I am going to keep going rounds with someone who obviously does not see the point but here we go....No you are playing 3.5 rules set for the OGL (Open Gaming Liscence) for free....not Dungeons and Dragons...Star Wars Revised uses the same rules as 3.5 OGL...are you saying you can get Star Wars for free...or Dragon Star...or Ebberon.....or any other d20 system game...no...I get the point...it is just an invalid point...you get nothing that Makes DnD what it is... their for your not Playing DnD....

Point to this whole thing...you wont find Shadowrun rules Lying about in the same manner as the D20 3.5 rules...because Shadowrun doesn't use and Open Gaming Liscence, their for, you will have to buy the rules....

+Quote Post
lord_cack
post Mar 15 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #20

Target

people are complete morons...OMG....this is completely pointless...the entire thing...SR4 all the way down to OGL being the same as the PHB...

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Mar 15 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #21

Slacker Extraordinaire

QUOTE (lord_cack)
because Shadowrun doesn't use and Open Gaming Liscence, their for, you will have to buy the rules....

Agreed. You will have to buy the new edition of Shadowrun to make use of it. I'd love to respond to the rest of what you posted, but to do so we would have to take it to the general gaming forum.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 15 2005, 10:34 PM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst (note: preparing for, not predicting).

Edit: just read the actual announcement on the web site, status officially changed to "predicting". Surprise me please.

~J

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 15 2005, 10:36 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

*shrug* okay. i'll be the moron, for pointing out that you can play D&D 3.5e (omg it's not teh D&D beccuase it dosent have teh quivar of elohnnna!!!!1!!!) for free. but you win the moron hat for bringing it into the discussion in the first place, and then saying it's irrelevant.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Mar 15 2005, 10:49 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Edit: just read the actual announcement on the web site, status officially changed to "predicting". Surprise me please.

Out of curiosity, why do you predict the worst?

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Mar 15 2005, 10:50 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

I for one hope it's a joke.

I know the history of the releases. I've been in gaming a long time. I know it's their right to do as they please. But come on, this is disgusting.

Is there something wrong with third editon? Is it broke? No.

Is it Perfect? no.

Will it ever be perfect. NO!

But I'm really sick of buying new books.

Looking at the piles of old edition rpg books I have is just sickening.

Don't mind me, I'm just ranting in disgust over the situation.

:grr:

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2024 - 12:53 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.