Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Grimtooth
You mean to tell me that there are still unpulished sourcebooks that are in the works such as System Failure, and Loose alliances,

AND THESE GUYS ARE RELEASLING A 4TH EDITION???????!!!!??????

That is messed up.

Please tell me this is an Ides of March kinda thing, cause April 1st is still a long way off.

/stalks off dumbfounded
apple
No joke ... the coming books are the "break"-books, who will transform the sixth world to world 6.5 ...

loose alliance is a background book ... and should be compatible with 4th edition.

SYL
arkadi
Yeah, that was my initial reaction too. Now I'm kinda starting to like the idea, but at the same time I have doubts about the (supposed) 4th Edition. Oh, and there's the whole buying-new-versions-of-the-old-rules-expansions-books thing. That's something I'd hope we'd be able to skip with SR4, but that's just not going to happen.
Nikoli
Well, the business model is:
Core book for X
Expansion books for .5 to .75 X

Write at least 15 expansion books

Cretae new edition
lord_cack
I hate, hate, hate revamps. I mean not because the content isn't good. Because lord knows what 3rd edition did for Dungeons and Dragons. But I thought 3.5 edition was ridiculous, and the only reason I bought a 3.5 Players Handbook was because on of my players took my Original. It is an attempt to milk the consumer. But, of course it is same said consumers fault for constant complaining and B;+ching that gets the changes made in the first place right.....

I don't think their was anything wrong with SR3, I have seen numerous posts to the contrary. But, I liked Shadowrun, not just because it was and still is a great system (I happen to like the fact that each system is separate...<begin sarcasm>I mean Brain Surgery and Open Heart Surgery are COMPLETELY different types of surgery....But, they are both surgery right...<end sarcasm>), but because it has a "roots-y" quality. It stood in the face of WotC and its fancy D20 machine. I mean it didn't do near the business, but it didn't bow and follow either.

Don't get me wrong, I know this is a business and you got to make money or things tend to fade away. But, it just somehow feels wrong.

I am not buying it, not because it won't be good, but because the company seems to be leaching on to the "Update Juggernaut" and tagging along for the ride....catch what cash falls in its wake...Because if they are hoping to catch WotC in terms of sales or even get a foothold in the market (other than what they got) then my advice would be stick with what got you there, because no change can catch OGL and D20...and that sucks.

(Note, if this is all some sort of "Early April Fools Suprise" then disreguard all prior statements)
apple
QUOTE (lord_cack)
It is an attempt to milk the consumer.
[...]
But, it just somehow feels wrong.

Yeah right ... that must be the reason why you can dowload the entire core rule books for 0$ from WOTC.

And wrong? Like 2nd edition compared to 1st edition? DnD 3rd edition compared to 3rd edtion?

SYL
arkadi
QUOTE (lord_cack @ Mar 15 2005, 04:26 PM)
(Note, if this is all some sort of "Early April Fools Suprise" then disreguard all prior statements)

If this is "Early April Fools Surpise" thing then someone is going to pay. Seriously, scaring people with the whole "New Edition, Need More Money" routine isn't fun.
Bigity
Someone is going to pay? We all will, that is, if we actually want to own the new edition.
lord_cack
Why release SOTA 2064 just to release an update set 6 years in the future....I am going on the record saying this is bogus....
lord_cack
I would like to know where you went and Downloaded Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition for $0....and for the record, I said nothing about the new system being bad, or not comparing to the other two systems...I simply stated (In more words) that I will not be purchasing the new edition because I own a perfectly fine Shadowrun Edition, I need nothing fixed....and that I think it is a way of milking the consumer...maybe not in the way I feel WotC has with DnD but none the less Milking is being done...plust as you can see by my last post...I think the whole thing is bogus...if it isn't OH well...They won't be getting my 30 bucks...
ThatPaolo
I they don't get your money, how are they "milking the customer"?
lord_cack
There not milking this customer...everyone else can be milked if they want (you can milk anything with nipples...)...I just enjoy complaining...and hate change....especially when things dont NEED changed....
mfb
D&D v3.5, free of charge and fully legal.

yes, darn those game companies and their evil plans to make money by selling things people want to buy.
Aristotle
QUOTE (lord_cack)
I would like to know where you went and Downloaded Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 Edition for $0

I would hope he is refering to the System Reference Document (SRD) which can be downloaded from the wizards website or found elsewhere online (in a perfectly legal form). It contains the rules, with no fluff minus proper names, deities, character creation information, and character advancement information. It also lacks some of the interesting information that can be gleaned from the DMG and a few key monsters.

www.wizards.com/d20
www.systemreferencedocuments.org
lord_cack
Yes I see now...that is completely the same thing as buying the Dungeons and Dragons Players Handbook.....<end Sarcasm> Offering rules options online free (considering that the system is an OPEN liscence) is not the same as Downloading the PDF of The Dungeons and Dragons PlayersHandbook...
mfb
yes, actually, it is. it means that you can play D&D3.5 without spending a single cent. these aren't rules options, they are the rules.
Aristotle
QUOTE (lord_cack)
Yes I see now...that is completely the same thing as buying the Dungeons and Dragons Players Handbook.....<end Sarcasm>

We're getting off topic a bit here, but yes it is exactly the same. It's everything that you get in the players handbook minus the intellectual property and artwork that can not be freely distributed and one set of rules (character creation/advancement) which can be acquired pretty darn easily (and equally legally).

I run my game entirely from the SRD and one page of notes on character advancement.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (lord_cack)
Why release SOTA 2064 just to release an update set 6 years in the future....I am going on the record saying this is bogus....

Feel free, but I'm playtesting SR4, and I can assure it's not a joke.
lord_cack
I cant believe I am going to keep going rounds with someone who obviously does not see the point but here we go....No you are playing 3.5 rules set for the OGL (Open Gaming Liscence) for free....not Dungeons and Dragons...Star Wars Revised uses the same rules as 3.5 OGL...are you saying you can get Star Wars for free...or Dragon Star...or Ebberon.....or any other d20 system game...no...I get the point...it is just an invalid point...you get nothing that Makes DnD what it is... their for your not Playing DnD....

Point to this whole thing...you wont find Shadowrun rules Lying about in the same manner as the D20 3.5 rules...because Shadowrun doesn't use and Open Gaming Liscence, their for, you will have to buy the rules....
lord_cack
people are complete morons...OMG....this is completely pointless...the entire thing...SR4 all the way down to OGL being the same as the PHB...
Aristotle
QUOTE (lord_cack)
because Shadowrun doesn't use and Open Gaming Liscence, their for, you will have to buy the rules....

Agreed. You will have to buy the new edition of Shadowrun to make use of it. I'd love to respond to the rest of what you posted, but to do so we would have to take it to the general gaming forum.
Kagetenshi
Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst (note: preparing for, not predicting).

Edit: just read the actual announcement on the web site, status officially changed to "predicting". Surprise me please.

~J
mfb
*shrug* okay. i'll be the moron, for pointing out that you can play D&D 3.5e (omg it's not teh D&D beccuase it dosent have teh quivar of elohnnna!!!!1!!!) for free. but you win the moron hat for bringing it into the discussion in the first place, and then saying it's irrelevant.
Garland
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Edit: just read the actual announcement on the web site, status officially changed to "predicting". Surprise me please.

Out of curiosity, why do you predict the worst?
Eldritch
I for one hope it's a joke.

I know the history of the releases. I've been in gaming a long time. I know it's their right to do as they please. But come on, this is disgusting.

Is there something wrong with third editon? Is it broke? No.

Is it Perfect? no.

Will it ever be perfect. NO!

But I'm really sick of buying new books.

Looking at the piles of old edition rpg books I have is just sickening.

Don't mind me, I'm just ranting in disgust over the situation.

mad.gif

Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Garland)
Out of curiosity, why do you predict the worst?

Several reasons. One warning flag is "simpler and more streamlined [rules]"; while that isn't necessarily a bad thing, it is necessarily a risky thing. Secondly, unlike any other period in Shadowrun history we're hitting a jump, a five-year gap—the change is revolutionary, not evolutionary. Again, that isn't necessarily bad, but it signifies a big chance to either get things just right or screw them up completely.

Then I hit this sentence:
QUOTE (Shadowrunrpg.com)
Matrix 2.0! An all-new level of wireless “augmented reality” overlays the real world, unleashing hackers to be mobile digital wizards.

And it was all over. Two big areas of risk and one massive area that I cannot conceive of them pulling off well. Which isn't to say that they can't; not much surprises me, but I am hoping fervently that they do.

(To be fair, they answered my complaint of the WMI's total inconsistency with any previous Matrix tech, wired or wireless.)

~J
Eldritch
Crap. I read that but it didn't sink in till just now.

O woe is us.

Would someone like to start planning the funeral?
Req
I will wait and see (not like there are any other options, of course). Seems to me that the Matrix is direly in need of a revamp, and this whole Wireless Matrix thingie might be awesome, or it might be crrrrrap. I don't want to see this game start looking like CyberGeneration, and I've got great hopes for it, but only time will tell.

If the attempt is to dumb down the game, broaden our niche market (and let me go on record as saying I like our niche market), etc etc, then I'm afraid no good will come of this. But if they pull off the nigh-impossible and streamline the system without dumbing-down the system, and keep the game I love intact, well then they can have my $25 gladly.
Aristotle
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Several reasons.

Interesting that almost all of the reasons you cite are the reasons I think this edition has the potential to be the best edition yet. Different styles and outlooks I suppose.
mfb
actually? yes, third edition is broke. the tech rules actively repulse most players and are wholly incompatible, the firearm creation rules are hilarious, the melee rules are inconsistent, the rules for sneaking just plain suck, and even the magic rules require minor tweakage.
Echo
I wonder what Roxy is doing now... dead.gif
Eyeless Blond
Honestly, all you oldsters whining about how SR4 is going to suck are missing an important issue here: there is a gigantic amount of rules-bloat in the current iteration of SR3. Most of you who've been around for five or six years hardly even noticed how much it's creeped up on you, but even when I first started reading the SR books (two weeks before the join date listed to the left, btw) I remember being so completely lost in the flood of rules and supplemental rulebooks that I had no idea where to start assimilating it all. I thank my lucky stars I was born with an unusual ability to assimilate and process data, or it would have taken me far longer than a month to go through just the books I was lent to read through. Some of the rules, like everything to do with riggers and vehicles, I still haven't read, years later, and don't expect to ever read because my brain gags just looking at them.

These days, with the SOTA books, SSG, and all the setting books, not to mention two *more* years of background history, there's such a myriad of rules, scattered across so many books, that it's basically impossible for a new player to get him/herself oriented, let alone familiar, with the rules in a reasonable amount of time. Personally I welcome an edition change precisely because it'll strip away some of the rules and let everyone--veterans and newbies--start over again from the same page.
Req
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Personally I welcome an edition change precisely because it'll strip away some of the rules and let everyone--veterans and newbies--start over again from the same page.

Well, yeah, and I'm sure I'll be there too - but the idea of making my player group re-learn an entire new ruleset is an intimidating one... ohplease.gif
Prospero
I've been here and hour and haven't commented yet. I guess it's just sinking in, finally. I stopped by this morning before work and noticed that thread with the SR4 pic in the main area and thought it was a joke. Lo and behold... eek.gif

Well, I have to agree with Kagetenshi and say I am guardely pessimistic. SR3 has problems, yes. It has a fair amount of them, yes. But will SR 4 not have problems? No. It will have problems. And, while I welcome new, better thought-out rules, I really, really don't want to have to buy all the supplemental books again (speaking as someone who's bought just about all of the supplemental books since SR1...).

OTOH, if I end up starting a new SR game in a few weeks with one experienced and three newbie players, the prospect of having a new, simpler rules system a few months down the road might hearten them. Who knows?

Also, I was pretty pessimistic about SR3 when that came out and I ended up liking that pretty well, so... maybe.

*crossing my fingers and knocking on wood*
mintcar
There is plenty wrong with the 3:rd edition. I have fought for a decade to understand all the rules and I still have problems getting everything to work properly, from magic to rigging to decking and everything. I love the game. I love the rules of the game, theyīre cool. But if I didnīt love it so, I wouldnīt have given it so much damn work just to be able to play it properly. The rules are among the best there is, but only after you know them and they NEED to be simpler to understand. I hope they donīt ruin the things we love about them though.

Furthermore. Shadowrun has a lot of more or less outdated concepts from the eighties that have been hard to shake off. They are going to do that with this new edition. My guess is that they are going to make the new matrix into something similar to the movie. Now, even though you may think thatīs a bad idea, who wouldnīt want to see a matrix that we can at least visualize? I canīt make out from the books what itīs supposed to be as it is, but some of the threads on dump shock gave me some ideas. I think itīs good their doing this. Remember that Shadowrun has NEVER before had this big a change. If this is done good, itīs going to be very exciting to say the least.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (mfb)
actually? yes, third edition is broke. the tech rules actively repulse most players and are wholly incompatible, the firearm creation rules are hilarious, the melee rules are inconsistent, the rules for sneaking just plain suck, and even the magic rules require minor tweakage.

Don't forget the logical inconsistencies within the game's own internal logic. For instance, the initiative boost for deckers is part of their external hardware and have nothing to do with increasing the mind/metal connection, while the VCR is all about increasing that connection. Magic is supposed to be subtle and difficult to spot, but a shaman casting a spell at chargen has a minimum spot TN of 8, going all the way down to 1 with force 6 spells; apparently the only way to cast spells on the sly is to initiate a buttload of times, after which you can't make your spellcasting obvious.

The Awakened have a theoretically infinite advancement progression, while mundanes are forever capped at essence 6. The rigger rules make no sense to anyone without their own encephalon. So many spells have weird all-or-nothing effects, like Invisability or Stealth, and at comparable drain codes we have spells like Silence which have variable effects that do essentially the same thing.

Oh, and let's not forget cyberlimbs.
Prospero
QUOTE (mintcar)
Remember that Shadowrun has NEVER before had this big a change.

Your opinion or facts from somewhere? Just wondering.
mfb
EB: indeed.

this is definitely a bigger change than previous editions. the tech leap and the timeline advancement alone make it bigger.
Eldritch

Never noticed.

I remember being so completely lost in the flood of rules and supplemental rulebooks that I had no idea where to start assimilating it all.....

I felt he same way when I picked SR up for the first time - Back when 1st edition was orginally released. And there were no supplements. Just rules that were completely unlike anything I've ever played before. So it did take time, even back then.

This still blows chunks.
The only way to candy coat it would be to offer up free upgrades to current owners.
And that would just be candy coating the issue that this sucks.

mfb
you're one of the few, then.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 15 2005, 06:19 PM)
The rigger rules make no sense to anyone without their own encephalon.

Gee, so I have an encephalon? Must never have noticed.

Incidentally, I want to mention that for the most part my problems are not those that Eyeless Blond is mentioning that people have. A more streamlined ruleset would be nice. I do, though, consider it a large area of risk, especially when compounded with the other aforementioned areas of risk. This is not my major issue.

~J
Oh, god damn it.
Eyeless Blond
Hm. Well, I suppose it *is* somewhat appropriate for fans of a roleplaying game set in a corp-ruled dystopian future are a bit wary of a corporation changing their game. biggrin.gif
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Eldritch)
I felt he same way when I picked SR up for the first time - Back when 1st edition was orginally released.  And there were no supplements.  Just rules that were completely unlike anything I've ever played before.    So it did take time, even back then.

Yeah, SR really set itself apart from the rest of the RPG rat-race, it was truely a departure from anything that was out at the time. I guess my fear is they push SR in direction that brings it inline with the d20 thinking.

**** Cookie-cutter free zone ****
mintcar
Eldritch: My gaming group is given about 300 $ a year by the government (in Sweden) to buy games. So I gladly give them to the developers of my favorite game. Remember that the game would die if WizKids didnīt produce new books that people want to buy. This will be a major sale. Another rumor thatīs been going around is that there will be a Shadowrun game among the release titles for Xbox 2. Itīs a rumor I have disregarded, but it has been persistent. Maybe this is a way to prepare for the extra attention from such a release? Vampire got a new computer game about the same time they did their big overhaul.

Prospero: I made the assumption when I read that this was going to be a completely new set of rules, replacing the old ones all together. That has never happened before.
Kai
Actually, kudos to FanPro. You realize its been 6 years since SR3 came out? I didn't. Not until I stopped and thought, and went 'good grief I'm getting old'. I'll bitch and moan like the next guy about 3.0 and 3.5, but really, 6 years is a damn good run. And, well, w00t wireless! love.gif ...sorry, that's my catchphrase of the moment :7
mintcar
Iīm optimistic. I was sceptical towards 3:rd edition, but it showed me wrong. In my opinion every single thing theyīve done has been an improvement to the previous versions (eccept the artwork, and the critters book).
Smed
I'm going to reserve judgrment on 4th edition until I actually see it. smile.gif

Whether its a good or bad thing for the game is impossible to tell at this point. There is some room for improvement in the game. The technology of the game world was based on an extrapolation of 8o's technology and did not predict well some of the changes that have taken place since then. Breaking everything back down and rebuilding it could be a good thing.

I hope they keep the basic concepts of the game mechanics though. Shadowrun's game mechanics are very well done and help give the game its flavor. The game could use some more consistant rules though. There are so many things that have been added on since the beginning that its difficult sometimes to find some rules.

Arethusa
I was going to come in and argue with Eldritch and co, but mfb and Eyeless have more or less echoed all my major feelingson SR3. There is more wrong than right with the current edition, and far too much rules bloat to wade through and required houserulings just to get the game playably sensible, and that's just where it begins. Hopefully, SR4 will be a gigantic step in the right direction, but details seem very nebulous, at the moment, so all there is is hope.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Eldritch)
The only way to candy coat it would be to offer up free upgrades to current owners.

Sorry. But basic depreciation should apply to a six and a half year old book and set of rule/sourcebooks to where there's no conceivable reason on earth to justify this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012