IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun v4.0: The hard numbers., How much does it cost? And more...
Paul
post Mar 16 2005, 06:26 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,514

I am assuming shortly we will know what this will cost as they will have to start coordinating with retailors, etc... But I'll ask anyways:
  • How much does it cost?
  • How many pages?
  • How many other source books can we expect to print at the same time?
  • When can we expect an updated publishing schedule?

The more I know the better educated I am, and the better opinion I think I can offer.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 16 2005, 06:45 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I really want to know...

Will there be pdfs of the SR4 core books available or sale online? If so, will they become available at the same time as the hardcover books are released, or at least in a timely manner afterwards?

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Mar 16 2005, 06:42 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

As I said in another post, I would like to see the .pdfs for sale and I would like a cd with the .pdf when I buy the hard copy. Baen Books have been doing some interesting things on this end for a while.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 16 2005, 11:44 AM
Post #4

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

This is a really good idea. Make the pdf searchable and it'd be an even better one.

+Quote Post
Toa
post Mar 16 2005, 12:39 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,068

I'd like to see some of the core supplements merged together into single hardcover volumes (Cannon Companion + Man & Machine = "Mean Metal", Matrix + Rigger = "Technical Readout 2070" ("Men in Machines"? :D)). Street Magic obviously isn't such a good merger, but I think enough awakened stuff accumulated in the last edition to justify a big hardcover for itself. This would keep the "entrance fee" to the new edition lower, while upping quality and durability of the books.

+Quote Post
Smed
post Mar 16 2005, 01:41 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 241

I'd love to see PDFs. I'd buy a hardcover too if it combined all the base books together in one place.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Mar 16 2005, 03:52 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Well, I could see FanPro putting the searchable PDF up at the same time as the hardcover reaching the stores, but it may hamstring the book sales and piss off the vendors. Including the PDF on CD may help keep them happier and get the books into the stores.

Realistically the new gamer is going to be exposed to the game by picking up a book in the store, so I'd like to see a CD with the book. Copy protected of course.

I don't think anyone knows what the cost will be until it goes to the printers/binders.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 16 2005, 04:04 PM
Post #8

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

The way to get the most money from me would be to have the book and get the pdf at discount. I'm not going to pay full price for the pdf AND full price for the book, so I'd probably choose the pdf for now.

I do love the fact that the pdfs are available as they are, though. I'm far more willing to buy a CD or PDF from FanPro knowing I can mix and match their books on my own burnable CDs (I do Shadowrun at work, and so having it all available like that is really valuable to me.)

+Quote Post
Zolhex
post Mar 16 2005, 08:39 PM
Post #9

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Member No.: 5,798

How about they charge more for the books make them all hardcover and you get a copy protected cd/dvd rom with the book on it in the back of the book.

Then you the player can use the cd/dvd rom or the hardcover your choice and you can print out copies of sections you feel you need extras of.

OK so lets see 3rd softcovers sell for 30 now so 4th hardcovers say 40 plus what another 10 to 20 for the cd/dvd rom not to bad for the main book.

Now suppliments 3rd's cost around 20 now so 4th's being hardcover 30 plus say 5 to 15 for the cd/dvd rom that comes with the book still not bad.

And no before you ask and or complain I do not have that kind of money to spend right now but I'll find a way to earn it so I can buy the books.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 16 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

fifty to sixty bucks for the main book? ouch.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 16 2005, 08:50 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Not to mention it's just not real to expect any copy right protection is permanent these days-people will eventually crack the copyrigth protection, and those people who want to down load stuff will anyways. Somebody will scan it, it will be pirated.

+Quote Post
The Canterbury T...
post Mar 17 2005, 07:57 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 6,182

It's all very well to say, just add $10 to the book price and include a CD with the PDF of the book on it, a lot of people don't like PDFs. Sure I'd buy it, but many would be put off by having to pay extra for something they won't use. No having the PDF for sale separately would be better. Maybe a unique code in each book which can be used to buy a PDF copy of the book at a discount would work.

+Quote Post
Smed
post Mar 17 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Copy protection is an oxymoron unfortunately.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Mar 17 2005, 04:34 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Once the work has been done, CD cost pennies to make. I have a friend in a band and it cost them $1.00 (per CD for 200 CDs) to get their CDs made and thousands to do the recording, and that was barley a bulk order. I'm pretty sure that all the layout and design for the new book is being done on a computer and can be converted to .pdf easily. The additional cost could be minimalized. Even if you don't want the .pdf the bonus it provides to the rest of the consumer, and the trend it would set in the gaming community would be worth $1-5.

This post has been edited by Pthgar: Mar 17 2005, 05:17 PM

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Mar 17 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (mfb @ Mar 16 2005, 02:47 PM)
fifty to sixty bucks for the main book? ouch.

When you consider that for that "other game" you pay that much or more for the 3 required main books it doesn't look that bad...

+Quote Post
Smed
post Mar 17 2005, 05:48 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Pthgar)
Once the work has been done, CD cost pennies to make. I have a friend in a band and it cost them $1.00 (per CD for 200 CDs) to get their CDs made and thousands to do the recording, and that was barley a bulk order. I'm pretty sure that all the layout and design for the new book is being done on a computer and can be converted to .pdf easily. The additional cost could be minimalized. Even if you don't want the .pdf the bonus it provides to the rest of the consumer, and the trend it would set in the gaming community would be worth $1-5.

The problem for Fanpro isn't the cost of the CD, its the potential loss of business by putting it out in CD form. Once its floating aroundf in PDF format its a heck of alot easier to get a copy without paying for it than if its only out in hardcopy. Sure, someone can scan in the books, but that takes alot more effort.

Selling PDFs of older sourcebooks is less of a problem becasue they've already sold most of the hardcopies they plan on selling.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Mar 17 2005, 05:55 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Yep, that could be a problem. I'll leave it to the new marketing guy to decide if you'll get more new business with CDs included or if it will hurt their profits in the long run.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Mar 17 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Are people who go looking for scans (or pdfs) of sourcebooks _really_ the kind of people who pay for a book they can't find a scan of?

+Quote Post
Raden13
post Mar 17 2005, 07:15 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 7,176

QUOTE (Toa)
I'd like to see some of the core supplements merged together into single hardcover volumes (Cannon Companion + Man & Machine = "Mean Metal", Matrix + Rigger = "Technical Readout 2070" ("Men in Machines"? :D)). Street Magic obviously isn't such a good merger, but I think enough awakened stuff accumulated in the last edition to justify a big hardcover for itself. This would keep the "entrance fee" to the new edition lower, while upping quality and durability of the books.

Hmm, Street Magic and Awakened Critters would be decent volume if merged.

As far as the pricing goes, the core book for fifty bucks would be acceptable to my wallet, particulary for a hardback. The StarGate main book costs that much (not to mention the Largest Dungeon or whatever, costs what, a hundred?!?)

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Mar 17 2005, 07:19 PM
Post #20

Guests

I love SR, and I plan to have that core book in my hands as soon as humanly possible short of going to GenCon (I don't like being physically around gamers). But for $50, it should be twice as thick as SR3 and 4 times as useful.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Mar 17 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
I love SR, and I plan to have that core book in my hands as soon as humanly possible short of going to GenCon (I don't like being physically around gamers). But for $50, it should be twice as thick as SR3 and 4 times as useful.

Is it the lack of hygene, or social ineptitude that gets you?

I agree that the book needs to have a lot of content to justify a higher than $30 price tag, but quality over quantity is my mantra. If the rules sectins are sufficiently "streamlined" the thickness may not be a good measure of utility.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Mar 17 2005, 08:40 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

There aren't a lot of hardcover games coming out now at a price point lower than $40, except for the truly large companies. Shadowrun Third Edition at $30 is one of the most inexpensive games on the market today.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 17 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

A billion free lancers, and none can show up here? Does any actually have a link that gives us the price?

Say CD2.0 how close to genCon are you???? Heh.

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 17 2005, 09:02 PM
Post #24

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

They probably don't know how much it costs yet, or even how many pages. I'll guess $51.99 and 789 pages.

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Mar 17 2005, 09:04 PM
Post #25

Slacker Extraordinaire

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 997

QUOTE (Paul)
A billion free lancers, and none can show up here? Does any actually have a link that gives us the price?

A freelancer wouldn't be privy to much, if any, of the information you are looking for. They would certainly not know the price of the book, it is most likely far too early to know the final page count (my guess is a little larger than 3rd edition), a freelancer isn't generally given in-depth detail on other sourcebooks that they aren't personally working on, or any sort of knowledge about a firm publishing schedule.

We'll just have to 'wait and see'. Hopefully the dev.blog will come up relatively quickly on the main site and we will be given regularly scheduled insight into how things are coming along and what Shadowrun has in store for us in the big picture.

I have to say that a dev.blog is a great idea as long as it is actually updated. The 'fact a day' thing White Wolf has been doing with its new product line has kept me coming back to see what's up and may have even changed my decision on purchasing the game (I was originally not going to).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 05:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.