Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blade 2, A 'last resort' type-o-post
Smiley
post Mar 22 2005, 08:08 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,191

Rather than waste everyone's time with this, I Googled, I KaZaA'ed, I sold my little brother's immortal soul to my neighbor, but to no avail.
I've been toying with a character based on Reinhardt from Blade 2's Bloodpack and I'm trying to find pictured of those nifty pistols he has with the blade attachments. Does anyone have any information? Perhaps someone would like to prove their Google-fu is superior to mine? I'm totally tortured here.

And while I'm at it, what kind of damage code would you give the blades?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 22 2005, 08:17 AM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

The google-fu is strong in this one.

Hopefully that link works. If those are the guns you're referring to (and I can't think of any other ones), I'd just call them knives. The benefit of not having to waste actions drawing, etc, a new weapon in order to use them in melee means you can live with a little bit lower damage code than they could be.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Mar 22 2005, 08:21 AM
Post #3

Running Target

I bow to your Fu. Thank you. That was bugging the hell out of me.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 22 2005, 08:22 AM
Post #4

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Take it to be an underbarrel bayonet attachment with damage code of bayonet (house rule, of course).

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 22 2005, 08:26 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Which is more useful, since, if it's a knife, you'll take your opponent down faster just by hitting him with the gun. Makes sense, huh?

As for the gun, it's just a heavily riced out Beretta 92. Compensator, recut slide, mag extension, blade thing, etc. Basic Hollywood gun silliness.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 22 2005, 08:27 AM
Post #6

Freelance Elf

The problem with that is that a bayonet's assumed to be on the end of a big honkin' rifle that you're using both hands to slash/stab/swing/attack with. That's just a wierd-bladed little thingie slapped under a pistol, that you can only really do one sort of swing with, etc, etc. I think "knife damage, Str(L)" is plenty.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 22 2005, 08:28 AM
Post #7

Runner

At which point the damage code for using a pistol as an improvised club makes that far more effective.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Mar 22 2005, 08:38 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Plus Dikote, of course. :D

[EDIT] Clubbing someone with a pistol just doesn't have as much style.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 22 2005, 08:43 AM
Post #9

Freelance Elf

At which point the damage code for using a pistol as an improvised club makes that far more effective.

Right, I get that. The damage code thing. I understand that Str(L) is less than Str(M)(stun) that a pistol normally does, or whatever. Str(L) is also likely to be less than the damage you'd do by shooting someone, though, which has the added benefit of not being a contested roll.

But it's a different skill (edged weapons vs clubs), it's lethal damage instead of stun, etc, etc. It's the same reason someone would use a knife instead of a punch, even though a punch does more damage. I understand that in terms of raw brutal effectiveness, giving the magical-underbarrel pistol bayonet a damage code the same as a knife is less potent than someone just pistol whipping their enemy into submission.

I also understand that the main reason someone would want these dumb knives under a pistol is raw "cool factor," as warped by Hollywood. So let them have it, but don't make it overwhelmingly potent by giving the thing a Str+2(M) damage code (which is, I believe, what a bayonet does). Does it make sense that a little blade like that under a handgun would do as much damage as a bayonet mounted on the end of a weapon SR considers as being so cumbersome it uses pole arms to attack with?

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 22 2005, 08:41 AM
Post #10

Runner

QUOTE (Critias)
But it's a different skill (edged weapons vs clubs), it's lethal damage instead of stun, etc, etc. It's the same reason someone would use a knife instead of a punch, even though a punch does more damage.

If lethal's what you want, just beat 'em unconscious with the pistol and slit their throats afterwards.

Yeah, I'm not saying they should do (Str + 2)M or be governed by the silliness of the bayonet rules, but it's not really much more sensible to treat them as canon knives, either.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 22 2005, 08:53 AM
Post #11

Freelance Elf

...but it's not really much more sensible to treat them as canon knives, either.

Why not? I mean, they look like a knife, don't they? If not a knife, then what, and why?

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 22 2005, 09:08 AM
Post #12

Runner

Because then you:
  1. run directly into one of the stupidest melee issues in canon, which is knives being useless in combat compared to your far more effective fists; if you want him dead, you just knock him out first and then slit his throat.
  2. still have a (Str + 1)M club in your hand, as I recall, which is even better than the worthless knife. Rip off that knife and beat him senseless before he notices none of this making sense.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 22 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #13

Freelance Elf

You're assuming the person that wants blades on their guns has the Clubs skill, not the Edged Weapons skill. I'm assuming the opposite.

And, again, if not "knives" for base damage (and it seems you have more issue with the canon knife base damage rating, not the suggestion that the knife blades pictured do knife damage, am I right?) -- then what? You yourself agreed bayonet damage was too much, but knife damage is (apparently) too little. What would you suggest?

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 22 2005, 09:49 AM
Post #14

Runner

Making knives (more sensibly) (Str+1)L (or at least the big blades on the pistols, as the standard knife is described a $10 street piece of crap) and melee (Str)L Stun solves lots of problems. Ignoring the CC's silly bayonet rules fixes the rest.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Mar 22 2005, 10:19 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

Well, the Cougar Fineblade is a knife thats as good as your fists.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 22 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #16

Runner

The Cougar Fineblade does almost as much damage as a sword and is basically just a standard knife run through the Dikoting process.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Mar 22 2005, 10:43 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

Yeah, well...

*Ninja vanish!*

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 22 2005, 10:49 AM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

There is one reason in mechanics to use it with knife damage.

You don’t want to be using unarmed because that means dropping your guns (lets ignore the kick attack option) and you have no skill in clubs and 6 dice in edged weapons because you also liked blade’s sword.

I would say is more effective than a knife maybe S+1 L although the unconventional shape could be a problem,

There is a second reason to do so, you dicoated the fragers.

If you insist on using bayonet rules at least have the sense to take away the reach.

Edward

+Quote Post
Dave
post Mar 22 2005, 01:26 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 2,507

I just happen to have this site bookmarked...

Movie Weapons

The firearms for Blade 2 are near the top of the list and I'm sure you can find the rest of the links useful.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Mar 22 2005, 03:30 PM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 948

Let the "gunblade" have the polearm damage code and strength bonus but simply remove the reach modifier that a character gets for having a RIFLE with a bayonet instead. The damage can be explained by the character having the blade attached to a 2-4 kilogram weight (the pistol) and thus increasing the weight when stabbing down with the blade edge.

+Quote Post
DarkShade
post Mar 22 2005, 04:03 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,700

getting maybe a little offtopic here, but the `hollywood silliness`with guns doesnt mean noone would try those in real life.. 2 years ago visiting a museum I saw real life bladeguns and even a gun embedded in the middle of an odd angular shield, all real weapons created and used sometime around the 18th century..

DS

+Quote Post
wagnern
post Mar 22 2005, 04:52 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,146

as far as damage goes, there is an weapon modification in the C.C. that increases the damage done by the pistol in hand to hand combat (it's called something like combat hardening or the such) These gunblades could be considered a form of this modification, perhaps letting you use your edged weapons skill instead of your club skill.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 22 2005, 05:31 PM
Post #23

Runner

No. Hardening is intended to represent a heavy, hard weapon. It's the difference between beating the shit out of someone with an M1 Garand v. a G36. It has nothing to do with edged weapons.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Mar 22 2005, 05:43 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

Anyone feel free to jump in, because I'm not certain about this.

Aren't there martial arts styles that emphasize the use of close-contact weapons--not just swords and polearms, but also knives and such?

If not, I'd think that a variant of an existing style would work--particularly one of the more acrobatic styles.

Also, while I COULD be mistaken, I don't think that the pistol in that photo started life as a Beretta Model 92.

I think it's an AMT (Arcadia Machine and Tool) Automag III or IV.

Have a look:

AMT Automag III (.30 M-1 Carbine);

or

AMT Automag IV (.45 Winchester Magnum).

Also, I think that the Property Master (or whoever) drew inspiration from this:

Elgin Cutlass Pistol.

Edit: Arethusa--Try the links now. They should work. (Crosses fingers. :P )

Edit #2: A.E.: Thanks. The photograph I saw earlier was rather confusing. I thought that the pistol I was looking at had a single-action trigger. Also, the extended slide and the grip panels more resembled those of the two Automag models--at least to me.

Mea Culpa. Mea Maxima Culpa.

--Foreigner

This post has been edited by Foreigner: Mar 22 2005, 06:11 PM

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Mar 22 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #25

Runner

Your links don't work. That pistol, however, is definitely a Beretta 92, modified with drop in unit for full auto fire and some crap glued to the slide.

I don't know why you think it's an Automag. It doesn't look anything like one.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:09 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.