IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cash in on SR4, your characters, anyway.
Pthgar
post Mar 23 2005, 06:00 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,642

How can PCs cash in on the coming changes? It's probably cheating but there's all kinds of ways to make money. Invest in VR/augmented reallity tech. Stuff like that. Anybody got any other ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 23 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #2

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Invest all money they get into gold. With the breakdown of the Matrix and the corresponding stock crash (I imagine there will be one, the stockm exchanges being all matrix oriented and all), gold prices will soar. As will all other jewels and precious metals.

Get rid of all corp script and stocks. That'll be toilet paper after SF.

do NOT invest into new Riggerware/deckerware, but save the money in gold to buy your character whatever will be needed to turn them into a virtual wizard/hacker.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Mar 23 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Start a business that secures offline backups and start backing up every peice of data you can get your hand on. Sell "lost" data after the crash.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 23 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

actually, that brings something to mind. are they going to get rid of credsticks? i have no problem with the concept of electronic cash, but credsticks always seemed bulky to me. credcards would make a lot more sense--much more portable.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 23 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #5

The King In Yellow

actually, that brings something to mind. are they going to get rid of credsticks? i have no problem with the concept of electronic cash, but credsticks always seemed bulky to me. credcards would make a lot more sense--much more portable.

Yup, that'd make sense.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Mar 23 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

I'll go you one better. CredChips. Given how much data can be stored in an xD memory card, it would be no problem.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 23 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Short stocks for just about everyone.

~J

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 23 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

QUOTE (Pthgar)
I'll go you one better. CredChips. Given how much data can be stored in an xD memory card, it would be no problem.

I'll up the ante - subdermal implant chips as a combination id and bank card. A suitably paranoid government with a suitably terrified populace following massive terrorist attacks might be able to push something like that through. Just imagine the problems for the SINless then.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Mar 23 2005, 09:15 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Revelations 13:16-18 (New International Version)
16He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, 17so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name.
  18This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666.

Revelation 14:9-15 (New International Version)
9A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: “If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, 10he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name.”

A whole new plot twist. SINless really are sinless. Radical groups advocating dropping out from society and living a survivalist existence. A perfect rationale for running against the corps and government and anyone else with a SIN, by definition they are evil and condemned already.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 23 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Ding, exactly what I was thinking of :) I can't claim the credit though - I'm sure there was an old RPG that did that.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 23 2005, 09:11 PM
Post #11

The King In Yellow

A perfect reason for fundamentalist christian terrorists to kill the SINners! Indeed, a lot of plot hooks come from that. Especially if one makes their leaders awakened, as discussed in the monotheism thread ...

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 23 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

Actually, that'd make an interesting SIN format—string of numbers, separated by - and +, all of which sum up to 666.

Only problem is that there's no realistic reason to do that without deliberately trying to bring Revelations to pass, and I don't think the religious nuts have quite that much swing in SR.

~J

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Mar 23 2005, 09:44 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Looky

The ones who will be looking for the number 666, will find it in any system.

By the way, in the interests of full disclosure, I am a pretty fundementalist Christian but I really don't worry about 666 conspiracies and things for a whole lot of theological and biblical interpretation reasons.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 23 2005, 10:07 PM
Post #14

The King In Yellow

Only problem is that there's no realistic reason to do that without deliberately trying to bring Revelations to pass, and I don't think the religious nuts have quite that much swing in SR.

Actually, the sex part in SOTA 63 says that christianity lost it's role as major source of morals in NA by 2063 (it's mainly focused on secual morals, but come on ... marriage is secularised after all! That's something you don't find even in Holland or Scandinavia!).

If you desire to play a revelation-comes-to-pass campaign (as Pthgar might want to), though, it's a nice starting point.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Mar 23 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Not really looking to play it as a campaign. More like a policlub or PC background.

How about a PC raised by this cult. The feds come down Waco-style and the PC gets shipped of from foster family to foster family. Now the PC is socially maladjusted and and sees society as evil and doomed to begin with. Makes for an oddly pricipled character, amoral towards mainstream society with a hardcore morallity towards the SINless.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 23 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #16

The King In Yellow

How about a PC raised by this cult. The feds come down Waco-style and the PC gets shipped of from foster family to foster family. Now the PC is socially maladjusted and and sees society as evil and doomed to begin with. Makes for an oddly pricipled character, amoral towards mainstream society with a hardcore morallity towards the SINless.

Commonly known as 'terrorist'.

And it'd make for a killer policlub, and conspiracy theory too. And for some wacko toxic christian mages. :)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 23 2005, 10:29 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Pthgar)
By the way, in the interests of full disclosure, I am a pretty fundementalist Christian but I really don't worry about 666 conspiracies and things for a whole lot of theological and biblical interpretation reasons.

I'd originally written "fundie", but replaced it with a more accurate term to avoid including those who don't go off the deep end while nevertheless keeping religion fundamental in their life.

~J

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Mar 23 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (hermit)
Commonly known as 'terrorist'.

And it'd make for a killer policlub, and conspiracy theory too. And for some wacko toxic christian mages. :)

Robin Hood (Sniper/Shooter Adept)
Will Scarlet (Rocker)
Little John (Troll Sammy)
Friar Tuck (Shaman/Mage)
Maid Merriam (Face)

I just can't figure out who the hacker would be. Maybe Will Scarlet.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Mar 23 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I'd originally written "fundie", but replaced it with a more accurate term to avoid including those who don't go off the deep end while nevertheless keeping religion fundamental in their life.

~J

I put the "fun" in Fundamentalist Whacko. Also the "mental."

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 23 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Pthgar)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 23 2005, 06:29 PM)

~J

I put the "fun" in Fundamentalist Whacko. Also the "mental."

Then who put the... never mind, we won't discuss Scunthorpe and Marseilles...

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Mar 23 2005, 11:38 PM
Post #21

Beetle Eater

Member No.: 2,826

I will simply point out that sometimes crazy cult happenings wind up having an impact, sometimes.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 23 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Yeah, but the number 666 hasn't had much in terms of positive connotations.

~J

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Mar 23 2005, 11:45 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Yah, but you wouldn't see it as a blatent 666 in conspiriacy. It would be worked into some code or, in the case of e-stuff, an ecryption code or something.

But really the point is it really wouldn't be there but the Cult would see it in any system they opposed.

+Quote Post
locomotiveman
post Mar 24 2005, 08:05 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 654

Do you supose that by 206X people will have tired of making movies like "a thief in the night" and such?

There's a scene in "a thief in the night' where they focus in on all these Avalon Hill wargames on a table. (Its done as a motif for scene change, showing stuff thats "signs of the end times") We were dragooned into watching them at church once and I laughed my ass off because I had about half of the games they were showing.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 24 2005, 09:45 PM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

that is because you, sir, are the deevul.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:53 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.