Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cash in on SR4
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pthgar
How can PCs cash in on the coming changes? It's probably cheating but there's all kinds of ways to make money. Invest in VR/augmented reallity tech. Stuff like that. Anybody got any other ideas?
hermit
Invest all money they get into gold. With the breakdown of the Matrix and the corresponding stock crash (I imagine there will be one, the stockm exchanges being all matrix oriented and all), gold prices will soar. As will all other jewels and precious metals.

Get rid of all corp script and stocks. That'll be toilet paper after SF.

do NOT invest into new Riggerware/deckerware, but save the money in gold to buy your character whatever will be needed to turn them into a virtual wizard/hacker.
Pthgar
Start a business that secures offline backups and start backing up every peice of data you can get your hand on. Sell "lost" data after the crash.
mfb
actually, that brings something to mind. are they going to get rid of credsticks? i have no problem with the concept of electronic cash, but credsticks always seemed bulky to me. credcards would make a lot more sense--much more portable.
hermit
actually, that brings something to mind. are they going to get rid of credsticks? i have no problem with the concept of electronic cash, but credsticks always seemed bulky to me. credcards would make a lot more sense--much more portable.

Yup, that'd make sense.
Pthgar
I'll go you one better. CredChips. Given how much data can be stored in an xD memory card, it would be no problem.
Kagetenshi
Short stocks for just about everyone.

~J
DrJest
QUOTE (Pthgar)
I'll go you one better. CredChips. Given how much data can be stored in an xD memory card, it would be no problem.

I'll up the ante - subdermal implant chips as a combination id and bank card. A suitably paranoid government with a suitably terrified populace following massive terrorist attacks might be able to push something like that through. Just imagine the problems for the SINless then.
Pthgar
Revelations 13:16-18 (New International Version)
16He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, 17so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name.
  18This calls for wisdom. If anyone has insight, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is man's number. His number is 666.

Revelation 14:9-15 (New International Version)
9A third angel followed them and said in a loud voice: “If anyone worships the beast and his image and receives his mark on the forehead or on the hand, 10he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb. 11And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name.”

A whole new plot twist. SINless really are sinless. Radical groups advocating dropping out from society and living a survivalist existence. A perfect rationale for running against the corps and government and anyone else with a SIN, by definition they are evil and condemned already.
DrJest
Ding, exactly what I was thinking of smile.gif I can't claim the credit though - I'm sure there was an old RPG that did that.
hermit
A perfect reason for fundamentalist christian terrorists to kill the SINners! Indeed, a lot of plot hooks come from that. Especially if one makes their leaders awakened, as discussed in the monotheism thread ...
Kagetenshi
Actually, that'd make an interesting SIN format—string of numbers, separated by - and +, all of which sum up to 666.

Only problem is that there's no realistic reason to do that without deliberately trying to bring Revelations to pass, and I don't think the religious nuts have quite that much swing in SR.

~J
Pthgar
Looky

The ones who will be looking for the number 666, will find it in any system.

By the way, in the interests of full disclosure, I am a pretty fundementalist Christian but I really don't worry about 666 conspiracies and things for a whole lot of theological and biblical interpretation reasons.
hermit
Only problem is that there's no realistic reason to do that without deliberately trying to bring Revelations to pass, and I don't think the religious nuts have quite that much swing in SR.

Actually, the sex part in SOTA 63 says that christianity lost it's role as major source of morals in NA by 2063 (it's mainly focused on secual morals, but come on ... marriage is secularised after all! That's something you don't find even in Holland or Scandinavia!).

If you desire to play a revelation-comes-to-pass campaign (as Pthgar might want to), though, it's a nice starting point.
Pthgar
Not really looking to play it as a campaign. More like a policlub or PC background.

How about a PC raised by this cult. The feds come down Waco-style and the PC gets shipped of from foster family to foster family. Now the PC is socially maladjusted and and sees society as evil and doomed to begin with. Makes for an oddly pricipled character, amoral towards mainstream society with a hardcore morallity towards the SINless.
hermit
How about a PC raised by this cult. The feds come down Waco-style and the PC gets shipped of from foster family to foster family. Now the PC is socially maladjusted and and sees society as evil and doomed to begin with. Makes for an oddly pricipled character, amoral towards mainstream society with a hardcore morallity towards the SINless.

Commonly known as 'terrorist'.

And it'd make for a killer policlub, and conspiracy theory too. And for some wacko toxic christian mages. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Pthgar)
By the way, in the interests of full disclosure, I am a pretty fundementalist Christian but I really don't worry about 666 conspiracies and things for a whole lot of theological and biblical interpretation reasons.

I'd originally written "fundie", but replaced it with a more accurate term to avoid including those who don't go off the deep end while nevertheless keeping religion fundamental in their life.

~J
Pthgar
QUOTE (hermit)
Commonly known as 'terrorist'.

And it'd make for a killer policlub, and conspiracy theory too. And for some wacko toxic christian mages. smile.gif

Robin Hood (Sniper/Shooter Adept)
Will Scarlet (Rocker)
Little John (Troll Sammy)
Friar Tuck (Shaman/Mage)
Maid Merriam (Face)

I just can't figure out who the hacker would be. Maybe Will Scarlet.
Pthgar
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I'd originally written "fundie", but replaced it with a more accurate term to avoid including those who don't go off the deep end while nevertheless keeping religion fundamental in their life.

~J

I put the "fun" in Fundamentalist Whacko. Also the "mental."
DrJest
QUOTE (Pthgar)
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Mar 23 2005, 06:29 PM)

~J

I put the "fun" in Fundamentalist Whacko. Also the "mental."

Then who put the... never mind, we won't discuss Scunthorpe and Marseilles...
Kanada Ten
I will simply point out that sometimes crazy cult happenings wind up having an impact, sometimes.
Kagetenshi
Yeah, but the number 666 hasn't had much in terms of positive connotations.

~J
Pthgar
Yah, but you wouldn't see it as a blatent 666 in conspiriacy. It would be worked into some code or, in the case of e-stuff, an ecryption code or something.

But really the point is it really wouldn't be there but the Cult would see it in any system they opposed.
locomotiveman
Do you supose that by 206X people will have tired of making movies like "a thief in the night" and such?

There's a scene in "a thief in the night' where they focus in on all these Avalon Hill wargames on a table. (Its done as a motif for scene change, showing stuff thats "signs of the end times") We were dragooned into watching them at church once and I laughed my ass off because I had about half of the games they were showing.
mfb
that is because you, sir, are the deevul.
DrJest
Religion demonising roleplaying...

WOOHOO! It's time for the obligatory Dark Dungeons linkage!
Bob the Ninja
That is the craziest site I've ever seen. This has to be some sort of joke; nobody can be that fanatical.
Kanada Ten
You wish. I actually had one of these Chick tracts put on my car because of a Bad Religion sticker on the hood. "Unfortunately, most religions are bad..." All about how the government want everybody to go to hell, becasue they don't teach god in school.
DrJest
It's all serious. I remember going shopping for a present for a girlfriend once. She was pretty heftily Christian (United Reform, iirc) so I popped into the local Christian bookstore. Picked up a book, saw an entry on role-playing, read how rpg's are a tool used by Satan to seduce children away from Jesus and got out of there as fast as my feet would carry me - which was pretty damn fast that day, I can tell you.
Dan Difino
Religion demonising roleplaying...

WOOHOO! It's time for the obligatory Dark Dungeons linkage!

Or this.
hermit
If it wasn't for real, if these people weren't serious, it'd be fucking hilarious.
Penta
On behalf of the planet, I apologize for their existence.
Pthgar
A minority of Christians, even fundemetalists. Chick tracks are way out on the extreme of Christian Fundementalist opinion.
Aku
this is really sad, especially the ending... dnd player, dead because of dnd..

time and time again, it's been proved that these people other, bigger problems than any role playing game. secondly, if saying "i cast magic missle at the darkness" will really cast a spell or sommon a demon... i really think the demons controlling this magic oughta take a look at their procedures heh...
locomotiveman
The scary thing is these were games like Diplomacy and PanzerBlitz (tho I suppose one could make an argument for Arab-Israeli War which is NOT worth the $ it works like PanzerBlitz but theres no way in hell the Arabs win a scenario)
SpasticTeapot
What I find is silly is how these people tend to be so #@$#@$ing hypocritical. A certian ex-girlfriend of mine had parents who despised me because I'm an athiest Jew with a lack of "Morals.", with a capital M. Of course, these schmucks had been smoking in the house where she had lived for the first 16 years of her adult life, and had yet to quit. Sure, I might be a "corrupting influence", but at least the worst health problem she risks from going out with me is a cold sore as opposed to terminal lung cancer.
I, personally, think a group of geurilla minority characters (such as Jewish khabbalistic mages or Trolls in any form) in a world devided christians and the metahumans and less radical religions they despise would be interesting. Although magic as we know it would be extremely scarce, (not to mention persecuted) many church leaders would have toxic magical abilities which they believe related to the suffering of Jesus. (can anyone say "Blood magic" and "Auto da Fe?"). The PC's could act as some powerful mojo-throwers for the cause of reasonibility and equality, saving the bacon of assorted metahumans and the few churches still preaching the real message of christianity-all people should be treated with respect and compassion.
Czar Eggbert
Mage: The ascension, anyone? I think this idea has been done, in a way. I personally am all about keeping SR agnostic, it tends to piss less people off.
Kesh
QUOTE (mfb)

Actually, they aren't any more bulky than those USB keydrives folks keep on their keychains and lanyards now. Hell, just look at the iPod Shuffle. I wouldn't be surprised if credsticks and Pocket Secretaries get merged into a single unit.

Imagine something that size on a lanyard around your neck, with a wire running up to your datajack. And since the Pocket Secretary function does telephony, what if the new version has limited Matrix access?

Hm. Everyone with an always-on, wireless Matrix access device hanging around their neck. Walk into the Stuffer Shack, place your order, the transaction authorization from your Stick Secretary appears in your vision via ASIST... select "Yes" via your datajack and your order is processed before you can blink, with the money deducted straight from the stick. cyber.gif
mfb
yeah, but most people only carry one of those. if you're dealing in certified cred--which happens fairly often in SR business--you could be carrying god-knows-how-many.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012