IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The SR4 developers want your input, a poll about the official website blog
Which option do you prefer about the official SR website blog
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 184
Guests cannot vote 
otaku mike
post Mar 24 2005, 09:38 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 332

On behalf of the SR4 Development Team, I ask you to tell us how often the blog should be updated, and with which content.

Also, not covered in the poll, we'd like to know if you have specific requests concerning topics or questions to be answered in the blog.

Thanks a lot for your cooperation :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 24 2005, 09:42 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

gimme all of it. i hear there are some delicious links out there!

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 24 2005, 09:59 AM
Post #3

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Update as often as possible, with anything even remotely cool and/or SR related.

+Quote Post
Demosthenes
post Mar 24 2005, 10:00 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,850

Data!
Give me loads of data!
:D

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 24 2005, 10:07 AM
Post #5

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I prefer a little more substance than weeding through, so I voted for more refined.

Really though, I'm just lazy. I think gads of stuff would be great, but I'd prefer it well organized. Say like priority by how directly related it is.
example:
clips from a playtest session - #1

some guy wondering if a piece of art from a certain artist will be included #3

some guy who jumped a playtester for his notes and selling them on e-bay. #11

(actually, that might be cool. Sorry if any of you get jumped) :(

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 24 2005, 10:18 AM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Anything and everything ... as often as possible. Twice a day isn't enough for me! :D

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Mar 24 2005, 10:33 AM
Post #7

Slacker Extraordinaire

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 997

I want SR4 data specifically on a daily (but I'd settle for bi-weekly) basis. It doesn't have to be crazy long excerpts with tons of 'crunch'. Just a little teaser to keep my adrenaline flowing.

I'd suggest a peek at the World of Darkness site and the daily development post they did for Vampire and now Werewolf. They've kept me interested without giving away all of their secrets.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 24 2005, 10:52 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

I'm not picky, I'll take what I can get. If you guys can realisticly provide daily updates, and not go nuts doing it, then so be it. If it's once a week, that's cool too. Biweekly is fine as well, hopefully it'll be meaty.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 24 2005, 11:58 AM
Post #9

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Every week may be sufficient to get real quality articles and not just snippets. Cndense the happeneings of a week into a post, and I'll be happy. Of course, 'breaking news' on special occasions would be apreciated too (like with that auction).

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Mar 24 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Didn't see the option, but I'm with Paul. Bi-weekly with quality information about the new system. I have little fear that the gameworld will largely be familiar and of similar quality as the past... it's the mechanics side of thing that I'd like to know more about.

A sample character would be fantastic.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 24 2005, 01:06 PM
Post #11

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

I voted everyday, but 3-4 times a week is enough. Does have to be every EVERY day. But I want more than once a week, and all kinds of SR related news!

+Quote Post
Dizzo Dizzman
post Mar 24 2005, 01:23 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 7,007

It would be great if every week or every other week there was a post that went into a little detail about a specific aspect of the game (kinda like a teaser or a movie preview). One week it could be a character concept (i.e. the hacker). The next it could be a type of tech or an update on a favorite NPC (i.e. something cool that ghostwalker did circa 2069).

That would really get us excited about the game, feed our nerdy need for detailed info, and calm down some of the more rampant speculation on the boards here. :)

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Mar 24 2005, 01:39 PM
Post #13

Mr. Quote-function

Member No.: 1,376

weekly, SR4 only ...

Why weekly ? Daily updates keep the people from doing what they are supposed to do: Develop the new edition ...

Why SR4 only? Without links to technologies that inspired certain new ingame products the number of people that later on cry "How could you disregard aspect XYZ?" will be slightly lower. For me personally there'd also be the benefit that I could keep up the illusion of creative and inspired game developers who come up with their own ideas instead of doing yet another real world to SR world conversion of specific technologies albeit the SR universe having taken a departure from our real world developments for 80 years by the new setting time ...

+Quote Post
Da-som
post Mar 24 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 7,141

+1
weekly SR4 only

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 24 2005, 02:33 PM
Post #15

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

Gotta echo Cochise here on the weekly, though I want the lniks.
I'd like to see where they are drawing ideas and this might assist me ni adjudicating on the fly when a player tosses out some crack pipe idea. I'll at least have the chance to have snuck a peak at the idea behind the in-game example and have a better idea on extrapolating what the player needs (though not necessarily what the player wants)

+Quote Post
Neuron Basher
post Mar 24 2005, 02:25 PM
Post #16

The Ghost in our Machine

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 52

FYI: I edited the poll to remove the bold tags that weren't working.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Mar 24 2005, 02:44 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

Daily updates would be good if they actually contained something meaningful, and not just fluff - but basically, all I want are regular updates, be they daily, weekly, bi-monthly, whatever.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Mar 24 2005, 03:02 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

Daily updates are preferable to weekly. If a few daily updates are missed, it's not a major issue. If a few weekly updates are missed, that represents a lot of time people are left hanging waiting for information about the development process.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Mar 24 2005, 03:25 PM
Post #19

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

QUOTE (Cochise)
weekly, SR4 only ...

Why weekly ? Daily updates keep the people from doing what they are supposed to do: Develop the new edition ...

Why SR4 only? Without links to technologies that inspired certain new ingame products the number of people that later on cry "How could you disregard aspect XYZ?" will be slightly lower. For me personally there'd also be the benefit that I could keep up the illusion of creative and inspired game developers who come up with their own ideas instead of doing yet another real world to SR world conversion of specific technologies albeit the SR universe having taken a departure from our real world developments for 80 years by the new setting time ...

That's a good point about non-SR specific material. Especially since hunting down links to articles can very time consuming, and I can already do that myself (daily grail, jane's defense, etc). I change my vote to DAILY but SR ONLY.

I disagree with you on the daily is too time consuming part. Writing a paragraph or two every other day takes like what, 15 minutes? I think they can spare 15 minutes. It's not like writing a new Edition is like building a boat. The thinking process is not solid 8-hour days sitting and writting furiously, with every minute taking away from the speed at which the final product comes out. You gotta stop and think, playtest, etc. I'm certain there are dead moments where you can spare a lousy 15 minutes.

+Quote Post
Dizzo Dizzman
post Mar 24 2005, 05:09 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 7,007

I would also imagine that there is a lot of stuff, especially background events and item descriptions, that are already decided and unlikely to change. A few modifications here and there, which would only take a few minute, and you have some great daily teasers for the site.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 24 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #21

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Didn't see the option, but I'm with Paul. Bi-weekly with quality information about the new system. I have little fear that the gameworld will largely be familiar and of similar quality as the past... it's the mechanics side of thing that I'd like to know more about.

A sample character would be fantastic.

I gotta chime in with Doc's suggestion here. I think everyone here has faith in Fanpro's ability to write good fluff text--some of the latest books have been almost *solely* fluff, and it's been some of the best writing I've seen in awhile.

What I want to see are bits of the rule changes and new "streamlinned" mechanics. Quite a few of us are a bit uneasy about the possibility of glaring mistakes or oversights on the mechanics, particularly with--and I say this with the utmost respect--the guy in charge of the FAQ having his fingers in the actual ruleset, and the possibility that some of his poorly-considered and self-contradictory "rulings" might actually become canon, rather than simply *thinking* that they're canon. I think that rather than the fluff has the most people worried; just take a look at what the longest threads on this forum are talking about. Right now all of us are tossing out weird, off-the-wall suggestions for changes to the rules, with no idea what is currently penciled in on anything. Giving us just a few concrete facts--such as what the core dice mechanics are going to be, or if there are still Open tests--would help focus the discussion a little more and consequently be more helpful in terms of suggestions rather than the crapshoot it is now.

In short: show us the nuts and bolts, 'cause we trust you guys with the fluff. :)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 24 2005, 05:57 PM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Daily or weekly, doesn't matter much to me, but please keep it focused. Start a side blog for the cool links if you want, but I'd like the dev blog to just be dev.

Oh, yeah, I'd also like some occasional notes on where you're taking the fluff, 'cause unlike the Doc or Eyeless I'm an untrusting bastard :)

~J

+Quote Post
Lucyfersam
post Mar 24 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,137

While I would love daily updates, I'd rather the focus went into the development process rather than taking too much time giving us updates. If it is no different as far as you're concerned then daily would be great, but I think we can deal with weekly updates (as long as they're juicy ;-}).

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Mar 24 2005, 07:04 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

SR4-Focused updates as frequently as you can spit them out. Idealy, the updates should come at such a pace that between now and release, all the people who complain that they don't want drop the cash to buy the new rulebook could just compile the updates and have a working aproximation of the system.

(Well, maybe not that many updates, but you get the idea.)

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Mar 24 2005, 07:04 PM
Post #25

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

When the charm of novelty passes I might be interested in only the essentials. But right now, I canīt get enough!!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.