Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The SR4 developers want your input
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
otaku mike
On behalf of the SR4 Development Team, I ask you to tell us how often the blog should be updated, and with which content.

Also, not covered in the poll, we'd like to know if you have specific requests concerning topics or questions to be answered in the blog.

Thanks a lot for your cooperation smile.gif
mfb
gimme all of it. i hear there are some delicious links out there!
Critias
Update as often as possible, with anything even remotely cool and/or SR related.
Demosthenes
Data!
Give me loads of data!
biggrin.gif
fistandantilus4.0
I prefer a little more substance than weeding through, so I voted for more refined.

Really though, I'm just lazy. I think gads of stuff would be great, but I'd prefer it well organized. Say like priority by how directly related it is.
example:
clips from a playtest session - #1

some guy wondering if a piece of art from a certain artist will be included #3

some guy who jumped a playtester for his notes and selling them on e-bay. #11

(actually, that might be cool. Sorry if any of you get jumped) frown.gif
Fortune
Anything and everything ... as often as possible. Twice a day isn't enough for me! biggrin.gif
Aristotle
I want SR4 data specifically on a daily (but I'd settle for bi-weekly) basis. It doesn't have to be crazy long excerpts with tons of 'crunch'. Just a little teaser to keep my adrenaline flowing.

I'd suggest a peek at the World of Darkness site and the daily development post they did for Vampire and now Werewolf. They've kept me interested without giving away all of their secrets.
Paul
I'm not picky, I'll take what I can get. If you guys can realisticly provide daily updates, and not go nuts doing it, then so be it. If it's once a week, that's cool too. Biweekly is fine as well, hopefully it'll be meaty.
hermit
Every week may be sufficient to get real quality articles and not just snippets. Cndense the happeneings of a week into a post, and I'll be happy. Of course, 'breaking news' on special occasions would be apreciated too (like with that auction).
Ol' Scratch
Didn't see the option, but I'm with Paul. Bi-weekly with quality information about the new system. I have little fear that the gameworld will largely be familiar and of similar quality as the past... it's the mechanics side of thing that I'd like to know more about.

A sample character would be fantastic.
Backgammon
I voted everyday, but 3-4 times a week is enough. Does have to be every EVERY day. But I want more than once a week, and all kinds of SR related news!
Dizzo Dizzman
It would be great if every week or every other week there was a post that went into a little detail about a specific aspect of the game (kinda like a teaser or a movie preview). One week it could be a character concept (i.e. the hacker). The next it could be a type of tech or an update on a favorite NPC (i.e. something cool that ghostwalker did circa 2069).

That would really get us excited about the game, feed our nerdy need for detailed info, and calm down some of the more rampant speculation on the boards here. smile.gif
Cochise
weekly, SR4 only ...

Why weekly ? Daily updates keep the people from doing what they are supposed to do: Develop the new edition ...

Why SR4 only? Without links to technologies that inspired certain new ingame products the number of people that later on cry "How could you disregard aspect XYZ?" will be slightly lower. For me personally there'd also be the benefit that I could keep up the illusion of creative and inspired game developers who come up with their own ideas instead of doing yet another real world to SR world conversion of specific technologies albeit the SR universe having taken a departure from our real world developments for 80 years by the new setting time ...
Da-som
+1
weekly SR4 only
Nikoli
Gotta echo Cochise here on the weekly, though I want the lniks.
I'd like to see where they are drawing ideas and this might assist me ni adjudicating on the fly when a player tosses out some crack pipe idea. I'll at least have the chance to have snuck a peak at the idea behind the in-game example and have a better idea on extrapolating what the player needs (though not necessarily what the player wants)
Neuron Basher
FYI: I edited the poll to remove the bold tags that weren't working.
mmu1
Daily updates would be good if they actually contained something meaningful, and not just fluff - but basically, all I want are regular updates, be they daily, weekly, bi-monthly, whatever.
Wireknight
Daily updates are preferable to weekly. If a few daily updates are missed, it's not a major issue. If a few weekly updates are missed, that represents a lot of time people are left hanging waiting for information about the development process.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Cochise)
weekly, SR4 only ...

Why weekly ? Daily updates keep the people from doing what they are supposed to do: Develop the new edition ...

Why SR4 only? Without links to technologies that inspired certain new ingame products the number of people that later on cry "How could you disregard aspect XYZ?" will be slightly lower. For me personally there'd also be the benefit that I could keep up the illusion of creative and inspired game developers who come up with their own ideas instead of doing yet another real world to SR world conversion of specific technologies albeit the SR universe having taken a departure from our real world developments for 80 years by the new setting time ...

That's a good point about non-SR specific material. Especially since hunting down links to articles can very time consuming, and I can already do that myself (daily grail, jane's defense, etc). I change my vote to DAILY but SR ONLY.

I disagree with you on the daily is too time consuming part. Writing a paragraph or two every other day takes like what, 15 minutes? I think they can spare 15 minutes. It's not like writing a new Edition is like building a boat. The thinking process is not solid 8-hour days sitting and writting furiously, with every minute taking away from the speed at which the final product comes out. You gotta stop and think, playtest, etc. I'm certain there are dead moments where you can spare a lousy 15 minutes.
Dizzo Dizzman
I would also imagine that there is a lot of stuff, especially background events and item descriptions, that are already decided and unlikely to change. A few modifications here and there, which would only take a few minute, and you have some great daily teasers for the site.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Didn't see the option, but I'm with Paul. Bi-weekly with quality information about the new system. I have little fear that the gameworld will largely be familiar and of similar quality as the past... it's the mechanics side of thing that I'd like to know more about.

A sample character would be fantastic.

I gotta chime in with Doc's suggestion here. I think everyone here has faith in Fanpro's ability to write good fluff text--some of the latest books have been almost *solely* fluff, and it's been some of the best writing I've seen in awhile.

What I want to see are bits of the rule changes and new "streamlinned" mechanics. Quite a few of us are a bit uneasy about the possibility of glaring mistakes or oversights on the mechanics, particularly with--and I say this with the utmost respect--the guy in charge of the FAQ having his fingers in the actual ruleset, and the possibility that some of his poorly-considered and self-contradictory "rulings" might actually become canon, rather than simply *thinking* that they're canon. I think that rather than the fluff has the most people worried; just take a look at what the longest threads on this forum are talking about. Right now all of us are tossing out weird, off-the-wall suggestions for changes to the rules, with no idea what is currently penciled in on anything. Giving us just a few concrete facts--such as what the core dice mechanics are going to be, or if there are still Open tests--would help focus the discussion a little more and consequently be more helpful in terms of suggestions rather than the crapshoot it is now.

In short: show us the nuts and bolts, 'cause we trust you guys with the fluff. smile.gif
Kagetenshi
Daily or weekly, doesn't matter much to me, but please keep it focused. Start a side blog for the cool links if you want, but I'd like the dev blog to just be dev.

Oh, yeah, I'd also like some occasional notes on where you're taking the fluff, 'cause unlike the Doc or Eyeless I'm an untrusting bastard smile.gif

~J
Lucyfersam
While I would love daily updates, I'd rather the focus went into the development process rather than taking too much time giving us updates. If it is no different as far as you're concerned then daily would be great, but I think we can deal with weekly updates (as long as they're juicy ;-}).
RunnerPaul
SR4-Focused updates as frequently as you can spit them out. Idealy, the updates should come at such a pace that between now and release, all the people who complain that they don't want drop the cash to buy the new rulebook could just compile the updates and have a working aproximation of the system.

(Well, maybe not that many updates, but you get the idea.)
mintcar
When the charm of novelty passes I might be interested in only the essentials. But right now, I canīt get enough!!!
Grinder
I wanta daily update. Don't need to be pages long, just some short notes about the progress of the development and maybe some first insights. That would be okay for me.
DragginSPADE
I'd like SR4-focused material as often as you can put it out. Like a couple others said, give us an idea of what the nuts and bolts will be like.
Club
If divided amoung the various developers and playtesters, daily. If just a few people, weekly.
Blitzen
I would love tech news and the sort for the fact that we may better understand how far the tech level well leap in the new edition and I think it would provide us with a clearer perspective on where the developers are coming from with the new toys, gadgets and ideas.
I also think weekly updates end up more beneficial in that daily updates are usually fluffed or contain so little info that they're seldom worth the time. Then again, I am pretty anxious and excited about the new edition maybe a couple of weeks of daily updates would aid in abating some of my apprehension towards SR 4.
Adam
I suspect that daily updates are more practical closer to release, when more material is finalized and the crunch of actually finishing the book [and getting followup books started] is over.

Right now, daily updates of any substance would be ... challenging to Rob's time. smile.gif
Arethusa
Does the developer blog have to be done by a single person, though? Multiple people updating might make the whole thing more practical while still maintaining interest.
Wireknight
I think that, unless the blog updates are formalized, (i.e. developers have to update it on the specified timeframe) daily updates are a better solution. You can miss a daily update, even two, and it's not a major source of angst from the community. Miss a weekly update or two, and you're looking at serious feelings of betrayal from the fans.
Rolemodel
I'd like the blog updated everyday. Every -flipping- day. It'll help me know we're all keeping on track, and will assist me in BA (Boredom Alleviation) in those morning hours of work right -after- I've had coffee, and right -before- I begin to consider doing anything productive.

Or was that right before I consider, considering doing anything productive.

I really can't tell anymore. Either way, more text is better.

-RM
Ice
Hi,

Excuse my bad english.
I prefer the blog updated every week but with SR4 information only.
I prefer good informations to a lot with no links with SR4.

Good afternoon.
BishopMcQ
Cochise laid the argument out pretty well. If the blog gets updated every Monday with information about how SR4 is shaping up they can give a clear concise explanation of what's going on without having to worry about what they are going to right every other day this week.

Obviously the occasional mid-week post would be nice, also I'd appreciate if they could create an Art Gallery which gets updated regularly (bi-monthly?). This would give a more concrete example of what we are moving towards for a feeling of the world without necessarily breaking down the cold-hard mechanics. And besides, I always flip through the book and look at the pictures first to give me a feel for what I'm reading in a gaming book.
Canid13
Something I'd like to see mentioned in some way, and preferably make it into the rulebook, is the non-spell slinging side of magic, such as initiation and metamagics.

Without these in the new rulebook, I sure as hell won't be switching as it's too much effort and couldn't even come close to recreating the characters anyway.

Just my tupence worth. Oh and please make cyberlimbs worth while! :o)
Commiekeebler
What I'd like to see is meaningful posts about issues of game balance and how you handle them. Maybe even hints or snippets of rules currently being tested, mentions of the general direction the world and ruleset are going to in that handbasket... smile.gif

All other info is just frosting on the cake.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Canid13)
Something I'd like to see mentioned in some way, and preferably make it into the rulebook, is the non-spell slinging side of magic, such as initiation and metamagics.

Without these in the new rulebook, I sure as hell won't be switching as it's too much effort and couldn't even come close to recreating the characters anyway.

Since they have a sourcebook titled Street Magic due out shortly after the release of SR4's core rulebook, If I were a Vegas oddsmaker, I'd place the chance of seeing initiation/metamagic in the core book at about 50%-50%.
Fortune
Even less, since the blurb on Street Magic states that it includes the rules for Initiation. wink.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Fortune)
Even less, since the blurb on Street Magic states that it includes the rules for Initiation. wink.gif

And that's why I'm not a Vegas Oddsmaker.
Mortax
Personally, I love the idea of continued paydata. Also, it will give you a good idea about whether or not the mainstay of fans like the current ideas and direction.

By the way, IMHO, I think getting feedback from game fans during development is a great plan. Makes a better game for us, and more fan loyalty and profets for you. (Raises can of Mountain Dew in toast.)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012