IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> permits, getting things on the street easier?
Aku
post Mar 25 2005, 12:40 PM
Post #1

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

ok, so i was flipping through the BBB, and i was reading the parts about permits. Now maybe i'm crazy, but i would think, dealing with street level people, that being "legit" for something might make it HARDER to get from illegal contacts. If i were a fixer like that, i think i'd get spooked if someone came in looking for Big Bad Weapon :trademark: with a legal permit... i think snitch would be the first thing to cross my mind...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 25 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,722

Point taken. A permit should allow you to purchase a weapon legally; with all the paper trail that implies, but without the Street Index. It does seem rather odd that it makes it easier to get an illegal weapon.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 25 2005, 01:05 PM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Even if that's the case, the buyer wouldn't necessarily have to reveal the fact that they have a permit.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Mar 25 2005, 01:01 PM
Post #4

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

but, if you dont reveal the permit, you shouldnt get the TN mod...

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Mar 25 2005, 01:19 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

2 things: if you've got a permit for something, you don't need to go through fixers (nice not having to pay street index) to get something. Second, I can't imagine Permits making people suspect you of being a snitch. Having one means you can legally possess that weapon. Having a permit, real or not, makes owning that weapon a little easier. So if somehow, you end up with the 'Star politely asking you why you have an SMG in your trunk, you can tell them, 'look, I'm cleared to have that.' One of my favorite tricks is to maintain a second identity with a SIN and credstick who's a Independant Security Consultant, which not only gives him the paperwork, but a plausible reason for having that sort of stuff.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 25 2005, 01:29 PM
Post #6

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Most of my chars had permissions for pistols or shotguns. I guess it's more or less easy to get one in the USA today, so it won't change in the UCAS. Having a good fake ID surely helps a lot. ;)

+Quote Post
Edward
post Mar 25 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

I took permits as others have described them, you don’t go to the fixer you go to the shop.

Eg. I want an Aries Alfa I go to my fixer and say get me one he charges me a street index.

I have a permit for an Aries Alfa I go into my local Aries arms distributor present my permit and he orders it into the shop for me charging the sticker price.

Edward

+Quote Post
Charon
post Mar 25 2005, 04:30 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

That -2 TN to availability is for the abstract Eitiquette roll to locate someone selling the item you are looking for.

If you have a permit, it now includes illegal AND legal provider.

Look at the availability of things that can be bought with a permit anyway. Look on the firearm table, for example. SMG, Sniper and Assault rifle can't be bought with a permit.

Remains sporting rifle and pistols with an availability of between 2 and 5.

Substract 2 to that? Man, don't even roll, enter the shop and be done with it.

+Quote Post
Spetulhu
post Mar 26 2005, 03:05 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 7,122

And what's so odd about someone with a permit wanting the same class of weapon from a fixer? Maybe he doesn't want to use his own gun for committing crimes? ;)

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 26 2005, 10:05 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

QUOTE (Spetulhu)
And what's so odd about someone with a permit wanting the same class of weapon from a fixer? Maybe he doesn't want to use his own gun for committing crimes? ;)

Which is something I do, maintain "clean" and "dirty" equipment. So one legal and one black market pistol (usually the same type for convenience), my real phone and one or more pay as you go throwaways, my own living space and the one I use for meets or when I think I'm under surveillance, etc.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:20 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.