IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When shaman/adepts start going fast, What happens?
Dawnshadow
post Mar 26 2005, 02:52 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,086

Alright.. theoretical question:

Physical Mage (shaman in this case), with improved reflexes 2, quickness 9..

What happens when he summons a force 4 sky spirit with movement and has it apply that power to him? He goes 4 times as fast, but that means he's walking faster then he used to run.. do the TN's for shooting him change? And what happens when he runs? I did the math, he's going at 130 kph.. so 80 miles per hour. Can he even be shot at, going that fast?

Now.. the question that makes me wonder if this is just too much..

With his reaction and initiative dice, he will on average have 3 phases.. and since running gives no melee modifiers, could he not just run 36m in one phase, slaughter someone in melee, and then next phase run and do the same to someone else, on the other side of the battleground?

Just to make the applications of this a little more clear.. his fellow runners are tough as you can imagine, and have staying power a little bit more like tanks then humans. The type of situation I'm describing would be the other two holding a position, forcing the opposition to direct their attention there, while the physical mage zips around like a lightning bolt, cutting people down from behind whenever they get caught in a position they can't direct massive firepower against him.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Mar 26 2005, 05:25 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

That's nothing. Get Levitate at power 12 - NOW you're moving FAST.

The question is a good one, and I await the book ninjas. :)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 26 2005, 05:26 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

no further penalty. running is running and walking is walking, even if you're moving faster than most motorcycles.

+Quote Post
Spetulhu
post Mar 26 2005, 05:19 PM
Post #4

Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,122

Can you shoot at a car going 80 mph? Of course you can. The mage is smaller than a vehicle, but plainly visible.

Besides, if he doesn't manage to put down the people he engages in melee they can hit him, can't they? No modifiers for running, you said. Once his combat pool is empty it will start hurting.

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post Mar 26 2005, 05:26 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

F12 Levitate.. hmm.. definately fast. The drain would kill him though... 8M physical? and +2 TNs to everything?

Spetulhu... no combat pool wouldn't make much of a difference. I'm not kidding when I say this physical mage is built for slaughtering people in melee... skill 8, ambidexterity(8 point), force 3 weapon focus. He throws 15 dice before combat pool. The only reason this particular tactic is coming around is because he doesn't have the staying power the others do.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Mar 26 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

QUOTE (Dawnshadow @ Mar 26 2005, 12:26 PM)
F12 Levitate.. hmm.. definately fast. The drain would kill him though... 8M physical? and +2 TNs to everything?

Not if he/she had initiated some and had Magic at 12...

Besides, if you really need to get away, 8M physical is a small price to pay.

+Quote Post
Dawnshadow
post Mar 26 2005, 05:39 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Physical Mage (magician's way adept.. I just hate calling it that, too much into the character, who calls himself a shaman) Docmortand... magic power 4, power focus (force 2). 4th grade initiate already.

Although getting away, you're right, nothing would beat it. Just so hard to learn it.. I'd be spending karma like mad on the rerolls

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 26 2005, 05:52 PM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

You don't need Force 12 Levitate when you have a Magic of 12. The speed is Force x Magic, so your going pretty good just with it at Force 6. Add in the Movement Power on top of that for quick flying goodness.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Mar 26 2005, 07:18 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

Hey, now. You never know when you'll need to engage in international supersonic flight with Levitate. My most powerful magician character had Levitate at Force 12, Magic of 20, and usually employed a Force 10 wind spirit's Movement ability for added abomination. Helped him zip between various island nations in the South Pacific in time to cause problems for people operating in concert in both Australia and Indonesia.

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Mar 26 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

Even without PhysAd abilities, all you need to do is drop a satchel charge on an opponent's car, or empty a box of grenades on your opponent's position. They'll never see it coming.
Or, if you're a troll, have the rigger attach a drone interface to a gyro-mount. Mount a HMG on the gyro-mount. Run around the opponents very, very fast, and watch them become swiss cheese.
This also raises some interesting questions as to what you can do while running at 130kph. For example, you can jump out of a car at highway speeds....and just keep on going. You could leave your vehicle during a chase, and zip behind your opponents to slash their tires. And, of course, you would'nt need a vehicle to get to meets.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 26 2005, 09:26 PM
Post #11

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

This is bringing DBZ uncomfortably to mind. :P

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 26 2005, 10:12 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)

No, for that everything has to be geased to either "strike a pose flexing muscles" or "shout incoherently" with some spells geased to "shout the custom name for the spell."

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 26 2005, 10:19 PM
Post #13

Decker on the Threshold

QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 26 2005, 04:26 PM)

No, for that everything has to be geased to either "strike a pose flexing muscles" or "shout incoherently" with some spells geased to "shout the custom name for the spell."

Wherever there are physical mages with force 12 levitate spells speeding between islands in the Pacific without being torn apart by wind drag, the rest will follow. :P

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 27 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

And the phy-mage can call himself the Flash. :D

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Mar 27 2005, 12:36 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,093

hmmm. A custom barrier spell, designed to defeat wind reisistance, shore up bone and muscle strength, something like that. You could get up to significant speeds without tearing the flesh from your bones. Actually, it'd probably take a series of high-powered spells, but with the right magical equipment you could, indeed break the sound barrier without considerable injury.

A better move would be a high-force levitate and a high-force spirit with the movement power, plus a version of the Physical Barrier spell that is airtight in a sphere shape. You could hit extremely high velocities and not have to worry about leaving your skin behind. A spell to remove the effects of G-forces would also be a good investment for those who wish to do high-speed aerial manouvers.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 27 2005, 01:32 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

My most powerful magician character had Levitate at Force 12, Magic of 20,

You had a magic of WHAT?! My God, I played my mage for three years and never got over grade 6.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 27 2005, 02:23 AM
Post #17

Decker on the Threshold

I'm more curious how he managed to learn the Force 12 spell. You'd have to throw, what, 1296 dice at that TN to get one success?

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Mar 27 2005, 02:44 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Nah, just have lots and lots o' karma... and a few astral quests... and maybe some elemental helpers.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Mar 27 2005, 02:41 AM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Force 12 Astral Quests are nothing to sneeze at.

That being said, I've seen TN's of 24 acheived relatively often.

+Quote Post
Rory Blackhand
post Mar 27 2005, 04:09 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,141

Wouldn't casting in a lodge help as well? No books with me atm.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 27 2005, 04:34 AM
Post #21

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

totem modifiers. manipulation right?

ummm... of the top of my head, siren and bat give modifiers for maipulation spells

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Mar 27 2005, 10:40 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

QUOTE (Dawnshadow)
Alright.. theoretical question:

Physical Mage (shaman in this case), with improved reflexes 2, quickness 9..

Hmm i smell a horse shaman

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Mar 28 2005, 03:51 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

This thread reminds me of a piece of online fiction I read recently.

The main character was a half-demon--her mother was human, Daddy was "Gothmog, the Demon Lord of Lust and Perversion".

(For you Tolkien fans out there--I am aware that "Gothmog" was also the name of a Balrog chieftain in The Silmarillion.)

Anyway, in addition to some rather interesting demonic abilities--she can regenerate from any wound, even those that would kill a normal human (up to and including complete dismemberment, although the time necessary for her body to rebuild itself increases as the severity of the injury increases), as well as being able to influence the passionate emotions of others (i.e, love & lust), she has what the author refers to as a "time dilation" ability--she can operate outside the normal boundaries of space and time, covering vast distances in mere moments (not to mention neatly circumventing the laws of physics--she doesn't create a sonic boom; also, there's no need to worry about suffocation-- due to her half-demonic nature, she doesn't need to breathe).

Anyway, she's fast enough to dodge a bullet--or shove another person out of the way--AFTER the gun has been fired.

The only limitation seems to be upon her clothing--every time she moves that fast, atmospheric friction literally burns the clothing off of her body. The burns are not a problem because of her regenerative abilities, but the results can be embarassing while out in public--not to mention that, because of her nature, she has a SEVERE allergy to sunlight.

Also, she can't eat what humans consider "normal food" (she has no stomach, or other internal organs)--she sustains herself by draining the life force from living things--it doesn't matter whether they're plants, animals, or people.

--Foreigner

This post has been edited by Foreigner: Mar 28 2005, 01:31 PM

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 28 2005, 05:50 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (Wireknight)
My most powerful magician character had Levitate at Force 12, Magic of 20...

never believe anything wk says. i know for a fact that his most powerful mage's Magic is not 20 at all. it's much, much higher--20 is just the number of points he's put into the Magic Power adept ability.

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post Mar 28 2005, 06:07 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Okay, I run a rediculously high-power campaign, and that's even beyond MY sense of crazy. Force 12 spells? sure, whatever, everybody and their mother has those. Effective Magic 20 on a magician Adept? You've gotta be f***ing kidding me.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:37 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.