IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Decking versus Hacking, The change is not needed
Keep Deckers and Decking? Or abandon the SR speak for modern day terminology?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 197
Guests cannot vote 
Shadow
post Mar 27 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #1

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

I posted this in another thread and I felt it didn't get the coverage I wanted it to, so I figured a poll would do.

(Patrick Goodman)
deckers -one of the mainstaples of the SR world.

Again, we're not getting rid of them. They are not being removed. They're getting a name change, and a tech upgrade or six, but they are not getting removed, and it was never ever suggested anywhere that they were, at least not by anyone involved with the new edition.

Not to disagree with you but you are getting rid of the name. A name most of us find synonymous with Shadowrun. I know the name is just flavor text but then again, so is the name of the game.

Isn't possible, after seeing the fan outcry of the loss of the name "decker" you could just stop the nonsense of "hackers" and go back to calling it Decking?

I was talking to Doc F. and he was in total agreement with Fanpro about getting rid of the name Decking, saying, "Hey, they are just hackers."

My reply was that most of the specialized terminology in the game could be replaced. Sam's could be Mercs or Enforcers, the game name could be changed to Underworld (since that is what it is really about right?)

Can't you just keep calling them Deckers, please?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Mar 27 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,634

I don't really care, and since abstaining from voting is effectively a vote for change in this case, I picked option two.

+Quote Post
Dizzo Dizzman
post Mar 27 2005, 11:41 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 7,007

I happen to like the term decker. It is unique to Shadowrun and I really don't believe that you need to change the name just because they won't be carrying decks anymore. For example, cops don't wear copper buttons anymore, but the name stuck around anyway.

Perhaps the name change might attract a younger audience that identifiers with the popular mythos of hackers. If it works, then I'm all for it.

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Mar 28 2005, 12:43 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

It is unique to Shadowrun

Nope. Ripped off from Neuromancer.

+Quote Post
Charon
post Mar 28 2005, 12:47 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

Don't care.

In fact, I'll probably have old timer of the SR universe refuse to let go of the term 'decker' while the new breed definitely will use the term 'hacker'. An easy way to show the generation gap.

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Mar 28 2005, 12:53 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Well, it doesn't make any difference, WRT what term you use, whether it's borrowed. But it's far from unique.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Mar 28 2005, 01:57 AM
Post #7

It is unique to Shadowrun as the name Shadowrun. @ Gunner, if you dont have something constructive to add, please don't post.

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Mar 28 2005, 02:03 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

My pardons, Shadow. From now on I will run any post I intend to make past the Dumpshock Mandarins (for whom you clearly speak) to make sure that they are constructive enough to please you. I will also ask them to update my knowledge of English vocabulary, as I wasn't aware that "unique" could describe a quality present in more than one item; up until now I had assumed that it meant "one of a kind" and that there was nothing else like it. Silly me!

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Mar 28 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

BTW, @ Charon, sorry there. I initially thought you were responding to me when I made my second post; didn't realize you were making a wholly unrelated comment. And the character who calls himself a decker for anachronism's sake is a cool idea.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 28 2005, 03:07 AM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

GunnerJ: In Role-Playing Games the term Decker is unique and distinguishable.

~J

+Quote Post
GunnerJ
post Mar 28 2005, 03:24 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Qualifiers make all the difference.

+Quote Post
kloked1
post Mar 28 2005, 03:49 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 7,247

personally I will keep the term deckers, the way I look at it the term will still apply, much like someone else mentioned cops are still cops even though they don't wear copper anymore, the term would stick.

+Quote Post
L.D
post Mar 28 2005, 06:18 AM
Post #13

Harlequin

Member No.: 861

You forgot about the: Don't care option. And that's my vote.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Mar 28 2005, 06:56 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

when you use the term "decker" most RPGers will know instantly you are referring to Shadowrun. If you use the term "hacker" anyone will be subsequently confused by the many facets of real life and RPGs that have been termed thus.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Mar 28 2005, 07:34 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (L.D)
You forgot about the: Don't care option. And that's my vote.

I didn't forget it, I just assumed if you didn't care (like GunnerJ) you wouldn't vote or comment. I didn't know I would be inundated with people who "don't care" caring.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Mar 28 2005, 09:59 AM
Post #16

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

When hackers are more playable (as pc's) than deckers, i welcome them with open arms. :)

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 28 2005, 11:16 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

"You say you want a what? A decker?" laughter "Dude, that's so 2050's. Get with the program, greybeard."

Or in translation, I'll have older veterans still using the term "decker", which the new generation will consider hopelessly outdated and uncool. The older vets, of course, will think the new generation are insolent pups in need of a good slapping.

EDIT: BTW, Shadow, I think the "don't care" comments are more expressing "will be equally happy with either", which is a different kettle of fish and one that might worthily have been included. Put me down for that option.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Mar 28 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

QUOTE (DrJest)
"You say you want a what? A decker?" laughter "Dude, that's so 2050's. Get with the program, greybeard."

So, if the term decker is 2050's, it makes sense to go back to a term that originated in the 1950's? :(

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 28 2005, 01:38 PM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (the_dunner)
QUOTE (DrJest @ Mar 28 2005, 06:16 AM)

So, if the term decker is 2050's, it makes sense to go back to a term that originated in the 1950's? :(

And you think the New Gen will have the faintest idea?

Today's house music fans don't even know who MARRS were. There are New Metal teenagers who have never heard of Rainbow, for cryin' out loud :(

+Quote Post
psykotisk_overle...
post Mar 28 2005, 02:00 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,817

I like the term Decker. Gunner's right, it isn't unique, but among RPGs AFAIK you only find it in Shadowrun. The term Hacker has to many connotations, and many of them are negative. Besides, shadowrun is all about silly and unnescessary slang, I'd like to see words like decker, rigger, street samurai and fixer kept.

BTW, according to my dictionary:
hacker n (infml) a person who uses computers for enjoyment, esp in order to HACK.
By that definition using my computer to read up on dumpshock makes me a hacker.

How have they avoided Rainbow? Rainbow is too cool to be unknown.

+Quote Post
GlassJaw
post Mar 28 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,664

And you think the New Gen will have the faintest idea?

Today's house music fans don't even know who MARRS were. There are New Metal teenagers who have never heard of Rainbow, for cryin' out loud

And is that their fault? I was talking to my 8-year old cousin this weekend and he said he hated Star Wars. He probably has no idea the original movies even exist.

I think FanPro would gladly trade some hardcore fans who hate the name hacker for some new ones who have never even heard the term decker. Regardless of how much SR history you know, it doesn't make the game any more yours than some brand new to the game.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 28 2005, 01:55 PM
Post #22

Running Target

How have they avoided Rainbow? Rainbow is too cool to be unknown.

You know it.

I know it.

Now tell those braindead frickin' dweebs with the skull t-shirts.

+Quote Post
psykotisk_overle...
post Mar 28 2005, 02:03 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

This shouldn't be an new-gen vs. old-gen discussion. IMO the terms hacker and decker are completely different, anyone familiar with the SR world knows exactly what a decker does, but once you go hacking you could be doing anything really. From chopping wood to writing newspaper coloumns.

Not to many NewMetal dweebs with skull T-shirts around here I'm afriad. Besides most of my friends know (and like) Rainbow already, wich is why I don't see how it's possible for youngsters you've appearently met not to.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 28 2005, 02:14 PM
Post #24

Running Target

once you go hacking you could be doing anything really

Q. Will riggers be combined with deckers/hackers?
A. Yes, we are removing the distinction between them. This does not mean riggers will go away — there will still be hackers who specialize in drones, vehicle operations, or security systems. But the protocols, technology, and game mechanics behind them will be the same.

Bingo :)

+Quote Post
psykotisk_overle...
post Mar 28 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Wich is bad, because you need small specific words, instead of broad categories that will eventually need sub-categories. If we end up calling people decker-hackers or rigger-hackers or drone-rigger-hacker what was the point of changing the terminology in the first place?

Besides, small specific words, even if they're just made up like decker, somehow seem more real than subcategorizing.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 08:23 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.