IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun's Mayan prophecy is fiction, right?
shadow_scholar
post Mar 29 2005, 05:46 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,059

Lately I've been listening to Coast to Coast AM, a show that commonly deals with paranormal elements, scientific theories, and various other things thought to be quite silly amongst Western sensibility. It comes on overnight and if you're lucky you can pick it up on your AM dial. If not, you can listen online at the website I referenced above. Unfortunately, I think you have to subscribe to listen. I have subscribed because I find the subjects they cover to be quite fascinating.

Well, the subject they had on last night was quite interesting. I'm listening to the mp3 right now (you can download them when you subscribe) and haven't really gotten too deeply into it (damn that whole work thing) but just the description made me really take notice when I read it this morning. Here is a portion of the description of the show from the website:

Monday March 28th, 2005
Prophecy, Crop Circles & Psychedelics

Returning to the show, author Daniel Pinchbeck offered analysis of Hopi and Mayan prophecies, crop circles and the psychedelic experience. The Mayans, he said, were aware of vast scales of time, and the ending of their calendar in 2012, suggests this may be when a massive transformation of human consciousness takes place. Similarly, he noted that the Book of Revelation describes entering "New Jerusalem" and Hopi Prophecy talks about moving from our current "4th World" and into the "5th World."

Sounds like it is going to be quite interesting. I'm gonna get back to listening.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Mar 29 2005, 05:59 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,950

My friends and I are planning on taking a vacation to Mt Fuji in 2011. Just in case. :-)

We are also planning an extended trip to tibet wen vitas breaks out.

The funny thing is, I'm really not joking.

+Quote Post
Chibu
post Mar 29 2005, 05:54 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,102

No, he isn't joking ^-^

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 29 2005, 06:06 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Nope, it isn't fiction at all. SR moved the date by one year, though.

~J

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 29 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #5

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

There are rumors that we botched up the count of our years by five or six (and I'm not talking about the missing "Year 0").

Guess we'll find out in a few months if that's right or not, eh?

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Mar 29 2005, 06:20 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

You meen when there is a massive earthquake in NY? Since it is sitting on a big ass fault line that hasn't moved in a long time, so it is gonna be real bad when it does? For the sake a NY, I hope FASA was wrong about that one. Of course, I wouldn't mind the awakening. My physad power would increase. hehehehe

tanka, I'm assuming you're talking about the guy that remade our calender around Jesus' birth and got it wrong by 5 years?

+Quote Post
Tanka
post Mar 29 2005, 06:26 PM
Post #7

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

Something like that I believe. I haven't heard the full-blown theory, but bits and pieces of it.

So it's either gonna happen in nine months or six years. Here's to waiting!

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 29 2005, 06:41 PM
Post #8

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

My wife listens to that show, even gets the newsletter. it's full of all sorts of stuff.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post Mar 29 2005, 06:42 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

You might want to clear the room. Doomsday conspiracies give me gas.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Mar 29 2005, 06:35 PM
Post #10

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

ROFL

+Quote Post
Garland
post Mar 29 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

Is it too late to get in on that Great Ghost Dance cookout or whatever it was? I'll bring chips.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Mar 29 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Garland)
Is it too late to get in on that Great Ghost Dance cookout or whatever it was? I'll bring chips.

We could arrange our own Great Ghost Barbecue for about the some time.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Mar 29 2005, 06:54 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

No way man, if you were involved, I'd be too worried about who was sponsoring the cookout to have much fun.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 06:54 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,185

I wouldn't head to tibet as there's no telling what sort of bad mojo takes over the kingdom. I mean if any place deserves immortal masters it's Tibet in some half-astral shamballah.

Of course it could just be where the Plateau of Leng decides to manifest in the 6th world ;)

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Mar 29 2005, 06:46 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Hey, does anyone know what the criteria is for getting citizenship of Souix nation?
I'm about a 5th. :-)

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 29 2005, 07:21 PM
Post #16

It's for winners

Member No.: 7,067

This all depends on which calender you are working to? The Christian / Gogrian is not the only time frame in the world, some cultures like the Indian have already got to 2060 (I think) and they are fine, well no major changes. The theory is good and there are many hints within religion and culture pointing towards a change, assuming the powers that be are working off our western calender??
And i'm telling you one thing, I would be quite happy to mutate into a power-house of a troll or something. I can't waite till the invention of cyber limbs for real as I will have an order in for two new legs!!

torz x ;)

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 29 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,185

If you are a 5th you could probably become a tribal member today (based on NAN vol 1 and 2 if you could prove a native american within 5 generation it seems you were probably good). Realistically I've pretty much assumed that if the character's family was in the states over 4-5 generations in 2016 you probably could claim tribal status if you wanted to on the formation of the NAN. While some tribes are going to be sticklers that pretty much the only way to have the population statistics come anywhere near actually jiving with the setting.

Granted huge numbers of anglos with native american blood likely would reject adopting tribal status but it's the only way for the tribes to remain anywhere near economically viable states.

One thing that's always bothered me though is that the Navajo seem critically underrepresented within the NAN especially within the PCC which would in theory be thier home territory. This criticism is largely based on the fact that the navajo are one of the largest if not the largest current tribe within the US. Of course it could be that the Navajos took a major beating in the resource rush (somewhat plausible as they own some pretty good territory resource wise) and had major population reductions accordingly. However this has never been mentioned in the sourcebooks so it's always been a problem spot for me.

Of course we don't really have a clear indication of the tribal makeup of aztlan so it could be that huge numbers of Navajo escaped into aztlan/mexico and are a part of it's makeup now.

+Quote Post
Mortax
post Mar 29 2005, 07:33 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (torzzzzz @ Mar 29 2005, 02:21 PM)
I can't waite till the invention of cyber limbs for real as I will have an order in for two new legs!!

Working on it.

And again, not kidding.
:cyber:

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 29 2005, 07:36 PM
Post #19

It's for winners

Member No.: 7,067

Let me know when you are finished, mine are pretty shot and i want a goochy new pair with all the bells and shiny bit's!!!!!!!! ;)

torz x :D

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Mar 29 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #20

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I asked my tour guide this as we wandered through the ancient Mayan ruins in Tikal, the religious Mayan center.

Yes, in November or December, 2012, the Mayan calendar enters a new era.

I asked him what exactly that means.

He said it means we start the next era.

I asked if the Mayans would have done anything special, or if we're expecting dragons or anything super special.

He said the Mayans would probably have celebrated with a number of ritual sacrifices, have a big party, and get back to work. He wasn't expecting dragons.

In short, yes, it's drawing to a close. Consider it as neat as the close of the 20th century, except the number of computers that'll have the Y2K problem will be much, much lower.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Mar 29 2005, 07:57 PM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Garland)
No way man, if you were involved, I'd be too worried about who was sponsoring the cookout to have much fun.

Who do you think is throwing the dance in the first place?

~J

+Quote Post
Req
post Mar 29 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 277

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
QUOTE (Garland @ Mar 29 2005, 01:54 PM)

Who do you think is throwing the dance in the first place?

Bingo.

+Quote Post
Weredigo
post Mar 29 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,030

End of the world as we know it i.e. a new and different world it may be. End of the world i.e. game over, down the tubes, pushin up daisies, it won't be.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 30 2005, 12:42 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

QUOTE (Weredigo)
End of the world as we know it i.e. a new and different world it may be. End of the world i.e. game over, down the tubes, pushin up daisies, it won't be.

Before I moved, I was studying Seni Silat. There's a pretty heavily religious background to that school, and from random chats with the senior teachers I discovered that Sufi Islam is expecting a new prophet or some such sometime in the next couple of decades. Apparently his appearance will be marked by a period of chaos and upheaval, followed by a lengthy period of peace and joy. Not sure of the details, because they never spoke at length about it. Just interesting that it's in the same kind of time frame.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 30 2005, 03:04 AM
Post #25

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Of course various religions have been predicting the end of the world/a new world/a messiah being born pretty regularly for the past couple thousand years. And you know, the world just keeps on not ending; it's kinda funny that way. I'm not holding my breath. :P

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.