Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bioware, And the next generation....
Shockwave_IIc
post Mar 30 2005, 08:13 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,499

Now i'll admit that apart from the fact that a parents genes has an influence on their offspring i know very little about genetics. However i know some people on here work in this field, thus they might be able to shed some light on it.

With the advent of SR4 around the corner, and the time line jumping 5 years. It is a distinct possability of a character being a child of parents that had a signifcant bioindex.

Example:
What if KAM had her child after her getting the Cerebral Booster, Mnemonic Enhancer (lvl3) even after she under went Age Rejuvenation. These have a combined BioIndex of 2.4 (I think). Would this effect the child in anyway?

Now i know there is already some things in place that can be used to represent this (Weak Immune System, also the Genetech before birth) but what other effects (if any) could happen?

Could you just say that the reason for having Exceptional this or Bonus Attribute that is because of their parents or would there be other/ better ways?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 30 2005, 08:37 PM
Post #2

It's for winners

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,067

Ok the effects of genetics depends on weather your DNA is changed during enhancement, if the bioware was implanted say via an engineered virus (by inserting the engineered DNA into the host) as pat of the reproduction (miosis) the child would have a 50% chance of obtaining the altered DNA, If this was to happen the child would then take on some of the attributes of the parent.

But as I said unless the Mother or farthers DNA was changed it would not have a genetic affect on the child.

However if the child was got by AI there would be scope to change the DNA during the fertilization of the egg within a test tube before implantation into the mother.

If you could let me know if the attributes you are talking about are genetic altering (and what they affect) i could work it out for you!

the problem with genetics is the coding,

Would give me something to do in work tomorrow :D

torz x

+Quote Post
Rev
post Mar 30 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

All those poor suprathyroid "juicer babies".

:(

Would be a great plot hook thing. All sorts of malformed children because of their parents bioware screwing with thier development.

Maybe the juicer babies have really weak immune systems, but +2 strength and quickness, reach adulthood in 12 years (6 for orc's), and extreeme violent tendencies?

... and they die of old age at 30 (20 for orc's) making them extreemly bitter as well.

Wouldn't be "genetic" so much as developmental. Health and hormonal balance in the mother is very important to proper development. For men it is far more likely to just cause fertility problems, though I think stuff like chromosomal damage can get through the fathers side sometimes.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 30 2005, 08:40 PM
Post #4

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Well. Bioware is implants. Like replacement organs or body fat breast enlargement, they're living tissue, but they're phenotypical, not genotypical. Meaning: the cerebral booster doesn't *grow* on your frontal lobes, it is implanted there. Bioware is, as the name implies, living cyberware, and won't be passed on to offspring.

It might affect the child (and mother) in the way of causing previously unknown complications during pregnancy, but it won't carry over into the hild, who will then grow their own cerebral booster, mnemonic enhancer, or age rejuvenantion.

Genetical enhancements and gene therapy might be passed on though, depending if they affect the whole body (including gonades) or just selected parts of it (bones, muscles, eyes ...). Since it wouldn't be good long term business planning if people who bought a genetech enhancement were to pass it on to theor children, I doupt even that would be the case.

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 30 2005, 08:43 PM
Post #5

It's for winners

Also if the living bioware was taken from your own tissue in order to create that would not affect your DNA, If it was donor it may but like Hermit said it is not growing and would not affect the reproductive tissue!

torz x ;)

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Mar 30 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

QUOTE (torzzzzz @ Mar 30 2005, 08:37 PM)
But as I said unless the Mother or farthers DNA was changed it would not have a genetic affect on the child.

So were talking genetech as opposed to biotech?

[EDIT] Hermit mention this first as i was posting.

If you could let me know if the attributes you are talking about are genetic altering (and what they affect) i could work it out for you!

Well how about, a tendentcy for a higher muscle density? (more strength?)

Or to remove natural gingerness?

And just a thought, Since Boosted is a change as opposed to an addition or replacement could this be counted?

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 30 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,185

Actually I hate to put a damper on this but unless bioware is delivered in a retrovirus that targets the sperm and/or eggs of the bioware recipients I see the idea of inheriting bioware as pretty much impossible. Even targeted genetech shouldn't really effect offspring (in fact if it should be expressly designed to not do so because a company would be fundamentally destroying thier future market).

Not that genetech wouldn't be available for developing fetuses but that implants designed for adults shouldn't be inheritable.

However in specific instances like bioware that appreciably alters hormone production in the target there are likely increased chances of birth defects, sterility etc as a result of hormone linked developmental changes. Of course if you are getting pregnant with significant adrenal boosters intact you are probably asking for trouble.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Mar 30 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Just wanting to be aware of the possiblities or lack there off.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Mar 30 2005, 08:51 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 6,058

The child could only be affected by the parents' bioware on the genetic level if:

a)It was done by genetic modification and
b)It was done in such a way that it'd (oversimplifying massively to save space here) rewrite the DNA in the parent's reproductive organs - what the DNA was in any other part of the body wouldn't matter.

On top of that, the child would only be likely to be meaningfully affected if:

1. The gene re-writing didn't produce a genetic mosaic - that is, some cells with the new genes, some without (which is the realistic result if you're talking about re-writing genes in an adult, these things just don't work 100% of the time, and it's not practical at best, not possible at worst, to re-write all the genes in all the cells in the body - you just care about changing enough to get the desired effect)

2. The information was localized enough that the random scrambling of genetic information during fertilization wouldn't cause it to become worhtless - if the "over-written" areas included multiple genes on multiple chromosomes, chances are the kid would never get all the necessary ones.

3. That genes designed to cause certain kinds of expression in an adult would even work the same way if present during embrionic development, and wouldn't be rendered inacitve or cause a non-viable embryo.

Edit: Birth defects would certainly be possible if the mother had 'ware that messed with hormones or the immune system, or the father had something that'd have a damaging effect on the sperm...

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 30 2005, 08:51 PM
Post #10

It's for winners

This has brought up the other thought i had, if you can already create 'customized' babys now (though under tight control at the moment) what is to say that you will not be able to change thing in the future. I mean things like enhanced hypothalamus or Thyroid. All is possible........

torz x :D

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 30 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #11

The King In Yellow

Yeah, that might work, but again, any corp that would allow this to be inherited would ruin future business opportunities. I would always guess even such a baby customisation genetech treatment would target anything but reproductive tissue.

Hey, genetech corps want to make money too. ;)

The possibility of getting a kid an advantage by in-utero genetech treatment is fascinating though. Would even further the rich-poor divide. Sweet idea!

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 30 2005, 08:57 PM
Post #12

It's for winners

QUOTE (mmu1)
b)It was done in such a way that it'd (oversimplifying massively to save space here) rewrite the DNA in the parent's reproductive organs - what the DNA was in any other part of the body wouldn't matter.

1. The gene re-writing didn't produce a genetic mosaic - that is, some cells with the new genes, some without (which is the realistic result if you're talking about re-writing genes in an adult, these things just don't work 100% of the time, and it's not practical at best, not possible at worst, to re-write all the genes in all the cells in the body - you just care about changing enough to get the desired effect)

2. The information was localized enough that the random scrambling of genetic information during fertilization wouldn't cause it to become worhtless - if the "over-written" areas included multiple genes on multiple chromosomes, chances are the kid would never get all the necessary ones.

3. That genes designed to cause certain kind of expression in an adult would even work the same way if present during embrionic development, and wouldn't be rendered inacitve or cause a non-viable embryo.

This is true but some viruses can alter DNA, which would be passed over in reproduction. If this was to happen via when implanting information for increased attributes ie produce more adrenaline, then surely this would be passed on to offspring?

If you really want to get pick it could always be changed on a gene level and only be passed over on a certain chromosome hence limiting the chances of the parent passing on any modification??

Also if you look at the evolution of man , which is to become faster and more intelligent this is all to do with genetic mutation ( via sexual reproduction), look at the Red Queen hypothesis.

torz x 8)

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Mar 30 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

QUOTE (hermit)
The possibility of getting a kid an advantage by in-utero genetech treatment  is fascinating though. Would even further the rich-poor divide. Sweet idea!

Thats also one of my points. In Elizabeth Moons Serrano Legacy Series theres various factions that have under gone "Rejuv" and this cause's problems with stuff like promotions and such. Alond with other effects from implants.

Actually i found that for the purpose's of what cool new ideas you can get for implants both the Serrano Legacy and the Vatta's War are quite good even if they are the same character just rehashed.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 30 2005, 09:08 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

While some corporations trying to rush a product to market might skimp and not use a targeted retrovirus that avoids the sex organs that should be the vast minority outside of the cut cut rate genetech ripoff companies. After all just because it creates a benefit in an adult there is no guarantee it wouldn't be lethal to a child or developing fetus. Fundamentally it's bad business sense for the genetech companies.

One real trouble spot would be the potential effect of hormone bioware or genetech on awakened fetuses as even with the awakened genome mapped I doubt all variables of expression have been tested.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 30 2005, 09:10 PM
Post #15

The King In Yellow

One real trouble spot would be the potential effect of hormone bioware or genetech on awakened fetuses as even with the awakened genome mapped I doubt all variables of expression have been tested.

Yeah, all the deformed babies from over-use of bioware ... talk about a second Contagan scandal.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Mar 30 2005, 09:17 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (hermit)

Yeah, all the deformed babies from over-use of bioware ... talk about a second Contagan scandal.

Yeah I kinda like how Zeta Imp Chem and Proteus AG are so recklessly amoral as it allows for decent rage against the machine style plots.

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Mar 30 2005, 09:25 PM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (torzzzzz)
This is true but some viruses can alter DNA, which would be passed over in reproduction. If this was to happen via when implanting information for increased attributes ie produce more adrenaline, then surely this would be passed on to offspring?

If you really want to get pick it could always be changed on a gene level and only be passed over on a certain chromosome hence limiting the chances of the parent passing on any modification??

Also if you look at the evolution of man , which is to become faster and more intelligent this is all to do with genetic mutation ( via sexual reproduction), look at the Red Queen hypothesis.

torz x 8)

I actually scrambled some stuff myself in my previous post - the genetic material gets randomized during gamete formation, not fertilization. Work make brain not work good.

That being said, you're really oversimplifying things - there are many factors involved that make any sort of inheritance of engineered genes (especially ones introduced inito an adult) a complete crapshoot.

Not all the genes an individual has get transmitted to his offspring - which ones do is random - and not all genes that do get transmitted get expressed. Some traits (most traits when we're talking about anything remotely complex, like metabolic functions) require multiple genes to be expressed. Some genes suppress or enhance others. Some just end up being latent for reasons we still don't understand.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Mar 30 2005, 09:30 PM
Post #18

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Another aspect of the whole thing is the wakened. Admitedly it's a slim chance that your kid is gonna be a mage (though 1 in 100 is nothing to sneeze at; lots of people buy lottery tickets with exponentially worse odds), but any atempts you make to alter the kid in-utero before you can know if he is or isn't Awakened may hurt his magical development after birth. I see this being a major drag on the "altering kids in the womb" initiative. :)

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 30 2005, 09:41 PM
Post #19

The King In Yellow

Yeah I kinda like how Zeta Imp Chem and Proteus AG are so recklessly amoral as it allows for decent rage against the machine style plots.

According to a German module, Proteus has the ethics of Deus and Aztech combined for an all new level of horror within their sealed off arcologies. BTW, how the hell do they finance these? Anyone got any info on that?

And yes, trait expression is a wicked thing. A child from an Asian and a White can look like any of her parents' races or a mix of the two. A friend of mine is half Indian, but you'd really need to ask her to learn she had a German mother. Another looks really like half Chinese and half Irish. Her sister looks 100% irish, except for slightly almond shaped eyes.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Mar 30 2005, 10:14 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

This is, BTW, why I dislike genetech as played out in SR.

You could mess with the genes of any children conceived post-mod. Probably would, actually, and quite by accident.

And we don't know, really can't know, how every gene works with every other with any certainty.

You could very easily create even nastier forms of diseases such as Tay-Sachs.

This would make any genemods ridiculously bad business sense...Think Thalidomide, 20 times worse.

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Mar 31 2005, 07:06 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

Genetics is simple..sort of.
For a given trait, a person has two genes: One from the mother, and one from the father. Only one of these is expressed.
An example is the rabbit. Brown-haired rabbit traits are dominant over white, and short hair is dominant over long. If two "purebred" rabbits (white longhair and brown shorthair) are bred, you''ll end up with something like this:

(S=short s=long B=brown b=white)
Rabbit A: BBSS
Rabbit B: bbss
All permutations will end up with BbSs, because you're going to get one of the dominant and recessive genes regardless of which one you get. All children would be brown shorthair.

If two of the children are bred, you'll instead end up with:
1/16 :bbss
3/16 :BBss or Bbss (brown longhair either way)
3/16 :bbSs or bbSS (white shorthair either way)
9/16: BbSs or BBSS (brown shorthair either way.)

So, a trait can bounce generations if two carriers of a trait have kids. (Although both rabbits were brown shorthair, they give birth to white longhairs 1/16 of the time.)
Also, consider that most viruses do not do much to eggs, partially because they are all formed at birth and stored away. Sperm producer cells (1 per 4 sperm) are more vulnerable to some of these, but because sperm are replaced, guys can have kids after chemo while women cannot.

This may sound confusing, but the upshot is a LOT of random crazy mutations as genetech becomes more common. Two ordinary people with ordinary parents could easily give birth to a hulking monster or a child with absurdly slow physical growth rates.(due, perhaps, to age-reducing genetech), which would make for an interesting character indeed. (A 40 year old would look 13, and would scare the crap out of most people who do not expect a ten-die Fireball from some "snot-nosed kid".)

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 31 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #22

It's for winners

Yes I may have over simplified the topic of genetics, but there is so much to cover and discuss about in terms of gean exchange etc that I did not want to make a post 20 pages long!!

It would proberly be unlikely for the bio modiforcation to be passed on via reproduction, but as evolution is a form of mutation there might be a very remote chance!

The other thing to think about is if magic ability for instance could be passed on through the geans would this be a ressesive action, i would have thought so other wise you would have hundreds of magic users running about??

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Mar 31 2005, 10:39 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

If you're looking for run ideas based on gengineering children,I'd recommend reading James Patterson's books When the Wind Blows and The Lake House, which concern radical in utero gengineering to create... well, I won't spoil it.

+Quote Post
torzzzzz
post Mar 31 2005, 11:55 AM
Post #24

It's for winners

QUOTE (DrJest)
I'd recommend reading James Patterson's books When the Wind Blows ......

I thought that book was about a nuclear winter?

or have i confused it with another one??

+Quote Post
mmu1
post Mar 31 2005, 01:24 PM
Post #25

Running Target

QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
Genetics is simple..sort of.
For a given trait, a person has two genes: One from the mother, and one from the father. Only one of these is expressed.

Again, that's a major oversimplification. In humans, something as simple as skin color involves several genes. (and even that rabbit example is only accurate as a thought experiment)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.