Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bioware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Shockwave_IIc
Now i'll admit that apart from the fact that a parents genes has an influence on their offspring i know very little about genetics. However i know some people on here work in this field, thus they might be able to shed some light on it.

With the advent of SR4 around the corner, and the time line jumping 5 years. It is a distinct possability of a character being a child of parents that had a signifcant bioindex.

Example:
What if KAM had her child after her getting the Cerebral Booster, Mnemonic Enhancer (lvl3) even after she under went Age Rejuvenation. These have a combined BioIndex of 2.4 (I think). Would this effect the child in anyway?

Now i know there is already some things in place that can be used to represent this (Weak Immune System, also the Genetech before birth) but what other effects (if any) could happen?

Could you just say that the reason for having Exceptional this or Bonus Attribute that is because of their parents or would there be other/ better ways?
torzzzzz
Ok the effects of genetics depends on weather your DNA is changed during enhancement, if the bioware was implanted say via an engineered virus (by inserting the engineered DNA into the host) as pat of the reproduction (miosis) the child would have a 50% chance of obtaining the altered DNA, If this was to happen the child would then take on some of the attributes of the parent.

But as I said unless the Mother or farthers DNA was changed it would not have a genetic affect on the child.

However if the child was got by AI there would be scope to change the DNA during the fertilization of the egg within a test tube before implantation into the mother.

If you could let me know if the attributes you are talking about are genetic altering (and what they affect) i could work it out for you!

the problem with genetics is the coding,

Would give me something to do in work tomorrow biggrin.gif

torz x
Rev
All those poor suprathyroid "juicer babies".

frown.gif

Would be a great plot hook thing. All sorts of malformed children because of their parents bioware screwing with thier development.

Maybe the juicer babies have really weak immune systems, but +2 strength and quickness, reach adulthood in 12 years (6 for orc's), and extreeme violent tendencies?

... and they die of old age at 30 (20 for orc's) making them extreemly bitter as well.

Wouldn't be "genetic" so much as developmental. Health and hormonal balance in the mother is very important to proper development. For men it is far more likely to just cause fertility problems, though I think stuff like chromosomal damage can get through the fathers side sometimes.
hermit
Well. Bioware is implants. Like replacement organs or body fat breast enlargement, they're living tissue, but they're phenotypical, not genotypical. Meaning: the cerebral booster doesn't *grow* on your frontal lobes, it is implanted there. Bioware is, as the name implies, living cyberware, and won't be passed on to offspring.

It might affect the child (and mother) in the way of causing previously unknown complications during pregnancy, but it won't carry over into the hild, who will then grow their own cerebral booster, mnemonic enhancer, or age rejuvenantion.

Genetical enhancements and gene therapy might be passed on though, depending if they affect the whole body (including gonades) or just selected parts of it (bones, muscles, eyes ...). Since it wouldn't be good long term business planning if people who bought a genetech enhancement were to pass it on to theor children, I doupt even that would be the case.
torzzzzz
Also if the living bioware was taken from your own tissue in order to create that would not affect your DNA, If it was donor it may but like Hermit said it is not growing and would not affect the reproductive tissue!

torz x wink.gif
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (torzzzzz @ Mar 30 2005, 08:37 PM)
But as I said unless the Mother or farthers DNA was changed it would not have a genetic affect on the child.

So were talking genetech as opposed to biotech?

[EDIT] Hermit mention this first as i was posting.

If you could let me know if the attributes you are talking about are genetic altering (and what they affect) i could work it out for you!

Well how about, a tendentcy for a higher muscle density? (more strength?)

Or to remove natural gingerness?

And just a thought, Since Boosted is a change as opposed to an addition or replacement could this be counted?
Vuron
Actually I hate to put a damper on this but unless bioware is delivered in a retrovirus that targets the sperm and/or eggs of the bioware recipients I see the idea of inheriting bioware as pretty much impossible. Even targeted genetech shouldn't really effect offspring (in fact if it should be expressly designed to not do so because a company would be fundamentally destroying thier future market).

Not that genetech wouldn't be available for developing fetuses but that implants designed for adults shouldn't be inheritable.

However in specific instances like bioware that appreciably alters hormone production in the target there are likely increased chances of birth defects, sterility etc as a result of hormone linked developmental changes. Of course if you are getting pregnant with significant adrenal boosters intact you are probably asking for trouble.
Shockwave_IIc
Just wanting to be aware of the possiblities or lack there off.
mmu1
The child could only be affected by the parents' bioware on the genetic level if:

a)It was done by genetic modification and
b)It was done in such a way that it'd (oversimplifying massively to save space here) rewrite the DNA in the parent's reproductive organs - what the DNA was in any other part of the body wouldn't matter.

On top of that, the child would only be likely to be meaningfully affected if:

1. The gene re-writing didn't produce a genetic mosaic - that is, some cells with the new genes, some without (which is the realistic result if you're talking about re-writing genes in an adult, these things just don't work 100% of the time, and it's not practical at best, not possible at worst, to re-write all the genes in all the cells in the body - you just care about changing enough to get the desired effect)

2. The information was localized enough that the random scrambling of genetic information during fertilization wouldn't cause it to become worhtless - if the "over-written" areas included multiple genes on multiple chromosomes, chances are the kid would never get all the necessary ones.

3. That genes designed to cause certain kinds of expression in an adult would even work the same way if present during embrionic development, and wouldn't be rendered inacitve or cause a non-viable embryo.

Edit: Birth defects would certainly be possible if the mother had 'ware that messed with hormones or the immune system, or the father had something that'd have a damaging effect on the sperm...
torzzzzz
This has brought up the other thought i had, if you can already create 'customized' babys now (though under tight control at the moment) what is to say that you will not be able to change thing in the future. I mean things like enhanced hypothalamus or Thyroid. All is possible........

torz x biggrin.gif
hermit
Yeah, that might work, but again, any corp that would allow this to be inherited would ruin future business opportunities. I would always guess even such a baby customisation genetech treatment would target anything but reproductive tissue.

Hey, genetech corps want to make money too. wink.gif

The possibility of getting a kid an advantage by in-utero genetech treatment is fascinating though. Would even further the rich-poor divide. Sweet idea!
torzzzzz
QUOTE (mmu1)
b)It was done in such a way that it'd (oversimplifying massively to save space here) rewrite the DNA in the parent's reproductive organs - what the DNA was in any other part of the body wouldn't matter.

1. The gene re-writing didn't produce a genetic mosaic - that is, some cells with the new genes, some without (which is the realistic result if you're talking about re-writing genes in an adult, these things just don't work 100% of the time, and it's not practical at best, not possible at worst, to re-write all the genes in all the cells in the body - you just care about changing enough to get the desired effect)

2. The information was localized enough that the random scrambling of genetic information during fertilization wouldn't cause it to become worhtless - if the "over-written" areas included multiple genes on multiple chromosomes, chances are the kid would never get all the necessary ones.

3. That genes designed to cause certain kind of expression in an adult would even work the same way if present during embrionic development, and wouldn't be rendered inacitve or cause a non-viable embryo.

This is true but some viruses can alter DNA, which would be passed over in reproduction. If this was to happen via when implanting information for increased attributes ie produce more adrenaline, then surely this would be passed on to offspring?

If you really want to get pick it could always be changed on a gene level and only be passed over on a certain chromosome hence limiting the chances of the parent passing on any modification??

Also if you look at the evolution of man , which is to become faster and more intelligent this is all to do with genetic mutation ( via sexual reproduction), look at the Red Queen hypothesis.

torz x cool.gif
Shockwave_IIc
QUOTE (hermit)
The possibility of getting a kid an advantage by in-utero genetech treatment  is fascinating though. Would even further the rich-poor divide. Sweet idea!

Thats also one of my points. In Elizabeth Moons Serrano Legacy Series theres various factions that have under gone "Rejuv" and this cause's problems with stuff like promotions and such. Alond with other effects from implants.

Actually i found that for the purpose's of what cool new ideas you can get for implants both the Serrano Legacy and the Vatta's War are quite good even if they are the same character just rehashed.
Vuron
While some corporations trying to rush a product to market might skimp and not use a targeted retrovirus that avoids the sex organs that should be the vast minority outside of the cut cut rate genetech ripoff companies. After all just because it creates a benefit in an adult there is no guarantee it wouldn't be lethal to a child or developing fetus. Fundamentally it's bad business sense for the genetech companies.

One real trouble spot would be the potential effect of hormone bioware or genetech on awakened fetuses as even with the awakened genome mapped I doubt all variables of expression have been tested.
hermit
One real trouble spot would be the potential effect of hormone bioware or genetech on awakened fetuses as even with the awakened genome mapped I doubt all variables of expression have been tested.

Yeah, all the deformed babies from over-use of bioware ... talk about a second Contagan scandal.
Vuron
QUOTE (hermit)

Yeah, all the deformed babies from over-use of bioware ... talk about a second Contagan scandal.

Yeah I kinda like how Zeta Imp Chem and Proteus AG are so recklessly amoral as it allows for decent rage against the machine style plots.
mmu1
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
This is true but some viruses can alter DNA, which would be passed over in reproduction. If this was to happen via when implanting information for increased attributes ie produce more adrenaline, then surely this would be passed on to offspring?

If you really want to get pick it could always be changed on a gene level and only be passed over on a certain chromosome hence limiting the chances of the parent passing on any modification??

Also if you look at the evolution of man , which is to become faster and more intelligent this is all to do with genetic mutation ( via sexual reproduction), look at the Red Queen hypothesis.

torz x cool.gif

I actually scrambled some stuff myself in my previous post - the genetic material gets randomized during gamete formation, not fertilization. Work make brain not work good.

That being said, you're really oversimplifying things - there are many factors involved that make any sort of inheritance of engineered genes (especially ones introduced inito an adult) a complete crapshoot.

Not all the genes an individual has get transmitted to his offspring - which ones do is random - and not all genes that do get transmitted get expressed. Some traits (most traits when we're talking about anything remotely complex, like metabolic functions) require multiple genes to be expressed. Some genes suppress or enhance others. Some just end up being latent for reasons we still don't understand.

Eyeless Blond
Another aspect of the whole thing is the wakened. Admitedly it's a slim chance that your kid is gonna be a mage (though 1 in 100 is nothing to sneeze at; lots of people buy lottery tickets with exponentially worse odds), but any atempts you make to alter the kid in-utero before you can know if he is or isn't Awakened may hurt his magical development after birth. I see this being a major drag on the "altering kids in the womb" initiative. smile.gif
hermit
Yeah I kinda like how Zeta Imp Chem and Proteus AG are so recklessly amoral as it allows for decent rage against the machine style plots.

According to a German module, Proteus has the ethics of Deus and Aztech combined for an all new level of horror within their sealed off arcologies. BTW, how the hell do they finance these? Anyone got any info on that?

And yes, trait expression is a wicked thing. A child from an Asian and a White can look like any of her parents' races or a mix of the two. A friend of mine is half Indian, but you'd really need to ask her to learn she had a German mother. Another looks really like half Chinese and half Irish. Her sister looks 100% irish, except for slightly almond shaped eyes.
Penta
This is, BTW, why I dislike genetech as played out in SR.

You could mess with the genes of any children conceived post-mod. Probably would, actually, and quite by accident.

And we don't know, really can't know, how every gene works with every other with any certainty.

You could very easily create even nastier forms of diseases such as Tay-Sachs.

This would make any genemods ridiculously bad business sense...Think Thalidomide, 20 times worse.
SpasticTeapot
Genetics is simple..sort of.
For a given trait, a person has two genes: One from the mother, and one from the father. Only one of these is expressed.
An example is the rabbit. Brown-haired rabbit traits are dominant over white, and short hair is dominant over long. If two "purebred" rabbits (white longhair and brown shorthair) are bred, you''ll end up with something like this:

(S=short s=long B=brown b=white)
Rabbit A: BBSS
Rabbit B: bbss
All permutations will end up with BbSs, because you're going to get one of the dominant and recessive genes regardless of which one you get. All children would be brown shorthair.

If two of the children are bred, you'll instead end up with:
1/16 :bbss
3/16 :BBss or Bbss (brown longhair either way)
3/16 :bbSs or bbSS (white shorthair either way)
9/16: BbSs or BBSS (brown shorthair either way.)

So, a trait can bounce generations if two carriers of a trait have kids. (Although both rabbits were brown shorthair, they give birth to white longhairs 1/16 of the time.)
Also, consider that most viruses do not do much to eggs, partially because they are all formed at birth and stored away. Sperm producer cells (1 per 4 sperm) are more vulnerable to some of these, but because sperm are replaced, guys can have kids after chemo while women cannot.

This may sound confusing, but the upshot is a LOT of random crazy mutations as genetech becomes more common. Two ordinary people with ordinary parents could easily give birth to a hulking monster or a child with absurdly slow physical growth rates.(due, perhaps, to age-reducing genetech), which would make for an interesting character indeed. (A 40 year old would look 13, and would scare the crap out of most people who do not expect a ten-die Fireball from some "snot-nosed kid".)
torzzzzz
Yes I may have over simplified the topic of genetics, but there is so much to cover and discuss about in terms of gean exchange etc that I did not want to make a post 20 pages long!!

It would proberly be unlikely for the bio modiforcation to be passed on via reproduction, but as evolution is a form of mutation there might be a very remote chance!

The other thing to think about is if magic ability for instance could be passed on through the geans would this be a ressesive action, i would have thought so other wise you would have hundreds of magic users running about??

torz x biggrin.gif
DrJest
If you're looking for run ideas based on gengineering children,I'd recommend reading James Patterson's books When the Wind Blows and The Lake House, which concern radical in utero gengineering to create... well, I won't spoil it.
torzzzzz
QUOTE (DrJest)
I'd recommend reading James Patterson's books When the Wind Blows ......

I thought that book was about a nuclear winter?

or have i confused it with another one??

torz x biggrin.gif
mmu1
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
For a given trait, a person has two genes: One from the mother, and one from the father. Only one of these is expressed.

Again, that's a major oversimplification. In humans, something as simple as skin color involves several genes. (and even that rabbit example is only accurate as a thought experiment)
DrJest
I thought that book was about a nuclear winter?

or have i confused it with another one??

You've confused it with another one. Remind me before Sunday and I'll bring it over.
golden-one
well, going from the descriptions in the colour texts, and shadowtalk, i'd have to say it's probably best to rule this on a case by case basis.

The platelet factory, for example, is stated as being "by selective enhancement throbmoscyte (platelet) productionis increaced to a high level". that does, to me sound like a genetic level enhancement.

symbiotes however seem to be the first evolution of nanotech, and so wont get passed on.

Synthacardium is listed as being an artificialy enhanced myocardium. the shadow talk for the same bit also states that it's grow in a clone body, and transplanted.. so again, it's not an inheritable trait.

authoskin, is again, a bio-implant.

taylored pheromones, is the one that'sa little odd, in that it's just stated as being "possible to alter a persons sweat glands so that they produce controled quanitities of specialy designed pheromones". as the pheromones are created by glands in the body, i'm guessign that this is probably done by a genetic level modification... if it was a single injection deal, then theres a posibility of it wearing out sooner or later. chances are this is one you'll pass on to any off spring.. in a greater or lesser form (they smell like REALLY CUTE babies...)

the adrenal pup is listed as a trans-implant

ditto the suprathyroid, toxin extractor,

the pathogenic defence is listed as an augmentatio to the spleen, but the graphic shows what looks to me like a lumps stitched onto the side of the spleen.. so i'm going with "implant" on this one.

the Cerebral booster is described as "an introduction of additional cells into the cerebelum. now this one is a tricky call, but imho, it's probably an implant, done in the same way that wired reflexes are done... using nanites to stimulate growth in specicif places. of course you could also call it as beinng done by a retro virus, so it's got a small chance of giving ypu really smart kids... and imho a really BIG chance of them being vegitables... all that additional grey matter screwing up a developing brain. the could in theory lead to an increase in autistic kids .. where one or more parent had a cerebral booster installed.

the damage compensator, mnemonic enhancer, and pain editor are againall listed as implants.. as is the reflex recorder. this one actually states that the additional nerve tissue is implanted and then grown... which is probably a form of stem cell research...

the synaptic accelerator gives the following description.
"with the implant of the synaptic acceleration, the neural cells which make up the spinal cord and other nerve trunks are encoraged to replicate and lengthen". that to me sounds like the implant makes nerve growth possible... which means that it has a chance of being passed on genetically, and has a prety good chance of either making any off spring REALLY hyper active, or in a best case senario, giving them the "low pain tollerance" flaw. rather than just having your reflexes boosted, imagin having ALL of your nerve responses sped up...

Enhance artwinculatio is listed as being a LOT of different procedures... none of which seem to be close to being genetic..

muscle augmentions, seem to involve the introdution of additiona material, that is woven into existing muscles.

Of course, now that i've checked Man and the Machine, (p60) it's stated that ALL bio-ware is just annother form of implant. the recipients original organs are replaced with new, genetically modified versions... along with a battery of imunosupressants to get the body to see the new organ (or attachment) as being part of itself. .. which means that there's supposed to be no chance at all of any effects of bio ware being passed on to any offspring you may spawn.

that being siad, i can definatly see this kind of thing being used as a great plot device... MR J wants you to break into that shiawase facility to find evidence that they knew that there "mr Midnight" bioware inplant would have turned his "llittle timmy" in to a raving psychotic. It also made his children grow up as genetic mutants.....
hermit
An example is the rabbit. Brown-haired rabbit traits are dominant over white, and short hair is dominant over long. If two "purebred" rabbits (white longhair and brown shorthair) are bred, you''ll end up with something like this:

(S=short s=long B=brown b=white)
Rabbit A: BBSS
Rabbit B: bbss
All permutations will end up with BbSs, because you're going to get one of the dominant and recessive genes regardless of which one you get. All children would be brown shorthair.

If two of the children are bred, you'll instead end up with:
1/16 :bbss
3/16 :BBss or Bbss (brown longhair either way)
3/16 :bbSs or bbSS (white shorthair either way)
9/16: BbSs or BBSS (brown shorthair either way.)

So, a trait can bounce generations if two carriers of a trait have kids. (Although both rabbits were brown shorthair, they give birth to white longhairs 1/16 of the time.)

Boy, if only it WERE that simple. You are aware that skin colour is determined by some 20 genes in EACH person, do you? And most traits are expressed like this. This whole "one trait, one gene" idea is not a bad idea per se, but waaaay oversimplified.

Also, consider that most viruses do not do much to eggs, partially because they are all formed at birth and stored away. Sperm producer cells (1 per 4 sperm) are more vulnerable to some of these, but because sperm are replaced, guys can have kids after chemo while women cannot.

Beg your pardon? Viruses can affect any cell they can target. And women can have kids after chemo, if the chemo isn't stone-age methods.

This may sound confusing, but the upshot is a LOT of random crazy mutations as genetech becomes more common. Two ordinary people with ordinary parents could easily give birth to a hulking monster or a child with absurdly slow physical growth rates.(due, perhaps, to age-reducing genetech), which would make for an interesting character indeed. (A 40 year old would look 13, and would scare the crap out of most people who do not expect a ten-die Fireball from some "snot-nosed kid".)

Yeah, I'm with you there. Genetch can cause fuck-ups in fetuses on a whole new level. I guess that pre-conception and in-utero gene checks will be the norm in SR.

The platelet factory, for example, is stated as being "by selective enhancement throbmoscyte (platelet) production is increaced to a high level". that does, to me sound like a genetic level enhancement.

More likely by inserting genetically modified stem cells into the marrow of larger bones. Normal would use generic stem cells, tailored would use the patient's own. And as this is a local modification and doesn't affect the reproductive tissues, it wouldn't carry over to the next generation.

taylored pheromones, is the one that'sa little odd, in that it's just stated as being "possible to alter a persons sweat glands so that they produce controled quanitities of specialy designed pheromones". as the pheromones are created by glands in the body, i'm guessign that this is probably done by a genetic level modification... if it was a single injection deal, then theres a posibility of it wearing out sooner or later. chances are this is one you'll pass on to any off spring.. in a greater or lesser form (they smell like REALLY CUTE babies...)

More likely is a form of gene therapy, where a tailored virus that is to affect only the sweat glands' tissue is used as a vector to inject a snippet of DNA into these cells to produce the desired modified pheromone. Again, as it targets a tissue not nescesary for reproduction, it is highly unlikely to carry over, though the virus may have been sloppily produced and inject the DNA into other cells too (but I imagine this might lead to health issues).

the Cerebral booster is described as "an introduction of additional cells into the cerebelum. now this one is a tricky call, but imho, it's probably an implant, done in the same way that wired reflexes are done... using nanites to stimulate growth in specicif places. of course you could also call it as beinng done by a retro virus, so it's got a small chance of giving ypu really smart kids... and imho a really BIG chance of them being vegitables... all that additional grey matter screwing up a developing brain. the could in theory lead to an increase in autistic kids .. where one or more parent had a cerebral booster installed.

Again, a form of stem cell therapy/enhancement.

the synaptic accelerator gives the following description.
"with the implant of the synaptic acceleration, the neural cells which make up the spinal cord and other nerve trunks are encoraged to replicate and lengthen". that to me sounds like the implant makes nerve growth possible... which means that it has a chance of being passed on genetically, and has a prety good chance of either making any off spring REALLY hyper active, or in a best case senario, giving them the "low pain tollerance" flaw. rather than just having your reflexes boosted, imagin having ALL of your nerve responses sped up...

Though I like the idea of all kids of synaptically accelerated needing massive amounts of Ritalin, I have to say this sounds like some form of hormone treatment (possibly using nanotechnology to specifically target specifically nerve cells and release the growth factors specifically there, to not fuck up the entire nervous system).

[quote]along with a battery of imunosupressants to get the body to see the new organ (or attachment) as being part of itself.(/quote]
Well, in 60 years, I'd expect transplant tissue that doesn't activate the immune system - which, incidentally, is mentioned in the BBB - to be widely available. Immunosupressants? Jesus! This would mean evey character with bioware essentialy can kiss his immune system goodbye! I didn't, though, remember that bio index is somehow reduces all body checks against disease by it's rating (round up) or soemthing to that effect. Is there such a rule? If not, better forget this was written and never talk about it again.
Vuron
Ahh I love it when people assume that human traits are typically as easily expressed as Mendel's peas.

For all intents and purposes even controlling a small thing like eye color becomes much more difficult than simple mendelian genetics would lead people to believe. There are often combinations of genes required to change the phenotype of any specific trait. Further with huge sections of the genome apparently inert we don't know if changing genes X,Y,Z will have signicant consequences on an apparently unrelated genetic trait. Factor in the default SR assumption that those inert sections of the DNA code are in fact related to magickal traits and things get very tricky very fast.

Yes in creatures and plants with short life spans it should be possible to acchieve significant understanding of how changing genes x,y,z will effect the species but with the significant time period between generations it would be hard to know if changing this trait will lead to a catestrophic mutation in later generations if two people with the same trait interbreed.

This is why wholesale genetic engineering of the human genome is so potential hazardous (not that it doesn't make for fun SciFi like gattaca etc) and quite unlikely within the time span of the SR universe.
torzzzzz
But like i said before all points are sort of valid when it comes to genetics, I may be putting this in a simplified way but any major changes in species is down to mutation, with out this we would not evolve. So in a round about way it is possible to pass a doormat un seen trait on to you offspring if you have the genetic potential.

who is to say that people who were born elf for instance were not the recipient of a very ressesive gene?

this argument / debate could go on and on in terms of what may and may not happen, as genetics is an evolving science!

torz x biggrin.gif

oh DR Jest yeah I would love to borrow that book, bring it over! spin.gif
hermit
who is to say that people who were born elf for instance were not the recipient of a very ressesive gene?

A formerly recessive gene, yes; otherwise, we'd see more elves than some 7% of the total population. Activation through environmental change (in this case, magic) made it a strongly dominant, strongly expressed gene, though, as elfishness always overrides the default human metatype. If all elves were to mate with humans instead of their own kind, I'd guess their numbers would indeed increase to numbers that are more representative of the distribution of player character metatypes, at least as I have experienced it (the single human in my group of seven - four elves, two dwarves - is constantly being mocked). wink.gif

Ahh I love it when people assume that human traits are typically as easily expressed as Mendel's peas.

Can't blame them really, it's all they teach them in school (if at all, some posters here might not be taught even that any more).
torzzzzz
QUOTE (hermit)
A formerly recessive gene, yes; otherwise, we'd see more elves than some 7% of the total population. Activation through environmental change (in this case, magic) made it a strongly dominant, strongly expressed gene, though, as elfishness always overrides the default human metatype. If all elves were to mate with humans instead of their own kind, I'd guess their numbers would indeed increase to numbers that are more representative of the distribution of player character metatypes, at least as I have experienced it (the single human in my group of seven - four elves, two dwarves - is constantly being mocked). wink.gif

true but you might then have the situation you have when a horse mates with a donkey..... infertile offspring??

I must admit for A level Biology we did all about mendel and the galapagos finches for genetics!

torz x biggrin.gif
mmu1
QUOTE (torzzzzz)
But like i said before all points are sort of valid when it comes to genetics, I may be putting this in a simplified way but any major changes in species is down to mutation, with out this we would not evolve. So in a round about way it is possible to pass a doormat un seen trait on to you offspring if you have the genetic potential.

I'm sorry, but that's simply not true. (insert obligatory rant about schools and kids today)

Just because some wild-ass chance is actually possible, it doesn't mean that what is basically your guess is a valid answer. It's science-fiction. I don't mean to be obnoxious, but Mendel's peas and Darwin's finches are just not enough of a basis for meaningful speculation about inheritance in humans.
Endgame50
Also, keep in mind genetics isn't as ironclad as it might seem. For example, doing separated identitcal twin studies, psychologists have found that 50% of one's "intelligence" is determined by genetics. The rest is environmental. (Yes, yes, I know the studies are hardly conclusive and IQ does not equal intelligence, but the point is there.)

I have to agree the rabbit example is somewhat simplistic--many factors we would want to select for are over many genes and interact with very complex recessive-dominant interactions. On top of that, the secondary structure and position of the gene on the chromosome can change how it's expressed.

I'd hate to see a street sam's child, truth be told. Too much popular bioware would do awful things to a fetus...
Vuron
I tend to believe that metahuman expression is more influenced by ambient mana flow in the environment of the gestating fetus. Thus we have abnormally high elf populations in areas that have significant mana concentration.
hermit
For example, doing separated identitcal twin studies, psychologists have found that 50% of one's "intelligence" is determined by genetics. The rest is environmental. (Yes, yes, I know the studies are hardly conclusive and IQ does not equal intelligence, but the point is there.)

Phenotypical expression and genotypical expression aren't the same, that's right, and it is especially true when dealing with issues as complicated as the human mind. However, it applies to other things, basic things, it might seem to people only knowing mammals, like the determination of sex. Reptiles have only one gonosome type, not two different ones - and hence, whether a lizard or turtle turns out female or male is determined *phenotypically*, *genetically* there's no fundamental difference between the two (as is in mammals and birds, for example).

I'd hate to see a street sam's child, truth be told. Too much popular bioware would do awful things to a fetus...

Truth be told, I'd doupt a cyber torso even contains an uterus; making the whole thing as flexible as a natural torso to adapt to the growing child is just too much to ask for from producers of military hardware ... I'd suggest any streetsam/former soldier/otherwise highly cybered person would resort to growing her child in vitro entirely, instead of carrying it out.

And I don't even want to consider what some common cyberware (like boosted) and nanoware might do to a fetus ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012