IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Since every superhero needs a signature weapon..., My new assault rifle; comments?
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 4 2005, 12:47 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,840

I've got a vampire hunter character (of course) named Helios that I'm currently playing right now, and I got to thinking: I sort of designed this guy along the lines of a superhero (sort of like Blade).

Well, every superhero needs a signature weapon - John Constantine's holy shotgun, Blade's sword, etc. So I figured: why not give this guy a signature weapon?

So here's the assault rifle I designed specifically for Helios. I haven't pitched this to my GM yet since the game's a play-by-post and we're currently in the midst of heavy combat, but once the run's over, I'll pitch this. Before I do though, I was just wondering what you guys thought.

While you're at it, if any cool names come to mind for this weapon, I'd appreciate them; I'm really bad at naming stuff.

So here it is, the as-yet-unnamed vampire hunter's assault rifle:

Helios’s Assault Rifle

Frame:
Assault Rifle
-Damage Code: 8M
-Firing Modes: SA/BF/FA
-Concealability: 3
-Weight: 6 kg.
-Ammo Capacity: 30 ©
-Mount: Top, Barrel, Under
-FCU: 3
-DPV: 225

Customizations

Barrel Reduction
-DP: +8
-FCU: -.5
-Weight: -.25 kg.
-Concealability: +2

Bullpup Configuration:
-DP: +25
-Weight: None
-Concealability: +2

Ceramic Components (Level 1):
-DP: +20
-FCU: -.25
-Weight: -.1 kg.
-Concealability: +2 vs. MADs

Easy Breakdown:
-DP: +40
-FCU: -1
-Concealability: None

Improved FCU:
-DP: +10
-FCU: +.25

Increased Power (Level 1):
-DP: +80
-Weight: +.25 kg.

Selectable Clip:
-DP: +35
-Weight: +.1 kg.
-Concealability: -1

Weight Decrease (Level 8 ):
-DP: +40
-FCU: None
-Weight: -2 kg.

Modifications

Embossing/Engraving:
-Mount: None
-DP: +20
-Phrase: “It’s open season on all suckheads.” – Blade

Extended Clips (+40; 20 extra rounds/clip):
-DP: +80

Personalized Grip:
-DP: +25

Underbarrel Weapon (Grenade Launcher):
-Mount: Underbarrel
-Weight: +2 kg.
-DP: +360
-Concealability: -3

Final Stats

-Frame: Assault Rifle
-Damage Code: 9M
-Firing Modes: SA/BF/FA
-Ammo Capacity: 50/50 (c/c)
-Mounts: Barrel, Top
-FCU: 0
-DPV: 968

Street Samurai Catalog Entry

Constructed specifically for the vampire hunter Helios, this rifle is designed for the hunting of the undead. Two switchable clips allow Helios to carry two different specialty ammunition loads, and a grenade launcher allows for some heavy firepower in a pinch. Its ergonomic grip and bullpup configuration provide extra control (2 points of RC when Helios is using it, 1 RC when someone else is using it), and its rounds pack extra punch. Its range suffers somewhat from a shortened barrel, but Helios considers the trade-off worth it.

-Ammo: 50 ( c )/50 ( c )
-Modes: SA/BF/FA
-Damage: 9M
-Cost: 4,840 nuyen
(Ranges: Short: 0 – 45, Medium: 46 – 135, Long: 136 – 315, Extreme: 316 – 495)

Grenade Launcher:
-Conceal: -
-Ammo: 6 (m)
-Mode: SS
-Damage: as grenade

After-Market Modifications

Extended Laser Sight:
-Mount: Top
-Weight: +.25
-Concealability: -1
-Cost: 1,500 nuyen

Gas Vent IV:
-Mount: Barrel
-Weight: +.75
-Concealability: -2
-Cost: 1,000 nuyen

Shock Pads:
-Weight: +.25
-Cost: 200 nuyen
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Krazy
post Apr 4 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,200

I love it, the mental pic is stunning. now for names are you thinking badass, or witty like Re-Death or the usual way of naming personal weapons a female name like Alexa which incidently means protector of men, and happens to be the name one of my paint-guns.

what kinda ammo are you going to be using?

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 4 2005, 12:21 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Nah, I'm not looking for female names (that tradition always seemed a bit dumb to me), but I'm looking for something like, say, the Holy Shotgun, but something cooler than that.

As for the types of ammo, he has his own custom-made ammo for hunting the Infected. He has three types: silver-jacketed, iron-jacketed, and oak-jacketed. He just uses normal ammo for ghouls and other HMHVV types with no particular weaknesses.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Apr 4 2005, 01:30 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

HMHVV Hunter:

I realize that this isn't exactly on-topic, but would an Ares Viper Slivergun be a viable weapon against those infected with HMHVV?

I know that wooden flechettes won't work, but what about plating them with silver, or coating them with silver nitrate?

(I seem to recall reading about a PC who used an Ares Superquirt loaded with a mixture of distilled water, silver nitrate (or colloidal silver, I forget which), and Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO). NASTY weapon. For that matter, a gas grenade--either hand-thrown or launched from a weapon-- using that mixture might also be worth looking into.)

P.S.: Would this work for your weapon's grenade launcher? A timed-airburst or "intelligent" grenade (modified Smartlink, I think) loaded with a gaseous mixture of the aforementioned chemicals, or possibly buckshot pellets (cast from pure silver) would be nasty against massed targets of the Infected. After all, don't the Infected (particularly Krieger-strain, i.e, Ghouls) tend to congregate in fairly large groups?

--Foreigner

This post has been edited by Foreigner: Apr 4 2005, 02:45 AM

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 4 2005, 01:44 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Yeah, that's what I was thinking for grenades too - silver or iron, or wood shards. And yeah, it'd be very useful for cleaning out ghouls if I used AP or HE.

As for sliverguns, I've never liked the idea of those. They're nearly useless against armored opponents, and SR vampires are intelligent enough that if they knew someone was coming for them, they'd be wearing at least armor clothing (the other HMHVV types might not be so intelligent though).

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 4 2005, 03:00 AM
Post #6

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

psst... Called Shots with SL2?

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 4 2005, 03:02 AM
Post #7

Running Target

He's an adept; no cyber for this guy (you're in the game with me; you should know! ;) )

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 4 2005, 03:06 AM
Post #8

Canon Companion

SL2 Smart Goggles. I know.

If I had the cash, I'd would have gone with the Steyr AUG CSL with SL2 goggles.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Apr 4 2005, 03:32 AM
Post #9

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

It doesn't explicitly say in the book, if I was the GM I'd make you take a -1 hit on concealability for the extended clips since you're practically doubling their size. Although by the letter of the rules you don't have to.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 4 2005, 03:40 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

You should have Melee Hardening for if the vamps get to close. Also, don't forget the U.V. flashlight. Every little bit helps. My vamp hunter Ender has a sig sword. Weapon Foci are just too useful verses vamps.

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 4 2005, 02:38 AM
Post #11

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

I know that wooden flechettes won't work, but what about plating them with silver, or coating them with silver nitrate?
This is SR, silver does absolutely nothing to vampires, they have neither a vulnerability nor an allergy to silver.

+Quote Post
Wit
post Apr 4 2005, 03:18 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 7,071

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
It doesn't explicitly say in the book, if I was the GM I'd make you take a -1 hit on concealability for the extended clips since you're practically doubling their size. Although by the letter of the rules you don't have to.

I'd be gracious and offer to take the concealability hit. If you start being a rules-lawyer with your GM, s/he might just decide that the next thing you fight won't be a vampire, but a dragon.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 4 2005, 05:22 AM
Post #13

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Wit)
I'd be gracious and offer to take the concealability hit. If you start being a rules-lawyer with your GM, s/he might just decide that the next thing you fight won't be a vampire, but a dragon.

Then the next thing a rules-lawyer will do is create a PC that will beat a dragon. No a smart thing to kill a PC off with something bigger.

+Quote Post
SpasticTeapot
post Apr 4 2005, 07:17 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,893

Name for the weapon:
Maccabee shel HaNair
("Hammer of the light" in hebrew.)
It's tricky to pronounce, but you'll get many brownie (and possibly karma) points from your GM for well-researched roleplaying.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Apr 4 2005, 08:41 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

So basically a fully automatic heavy pistol (albeit with a vastly superior range) with grenade launcher and no recoil in BF mode and neglible in FA mode. Oh, at the price of not being dual-able and with a minor Concealability hit over some other big pistols. Joy. Nothing wrong with that. No sir. Well balanced weapon, that. <thumbs up>

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 4 2005, 09:55 AM
Post #16

Canon Companion

Here's a name for the weapon: Daystar.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 4 2005, 09:01 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
[...] a minor Concealability hit over some other big pistols.

While I agree with you about the weapon over-all, I think it's worth pointing out that with the Laser Sight and Gas Vent attached, the weapon has a Concealability of 0.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Apr 4 2005, 09:05 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

True, true. My mistake.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 4 2005, 10:25 AM
Post #19

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

So basically a fully automatic heavy pistol (albeit with a vastly superior range) with grenade launcher and no recoil in BF mode and neglible in FA mode. Oh, at the price of not being dual-able and with a minor Concealability hit over some other big pistols. Joy. Nothing wrong with that. No sir. Well balanced weapon, that. <thumbs up>

You know, swap out a few words for context sensitive variables and we could just turn that into a forum macro for any thread that involves the Canon Companion weapon creation rules. Can't miss.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Apr 4 2005, 10:28 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

It's hardly limited to that system. Every one of them out there can be abused. It's more about the player designing the weapon, not the guidelines used to create 'em.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 4 2005, 10:46 AM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Oh, come on. They may all be unavoidably abusable, but CC creation rules are in a class of screwed up reserved just for them.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 4 2005, 11:23 AM
Post #22

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Oh, come on. They may all be unavoidably abusable, but CC creation rules are in a class of screwed up reserved just for them.

They are not any more broken than the Char Gen rules. Look at any of the min-maxed characters and compare them to archetypes in the book, you'll find the difference similar to the guns you can create and the guns in the book. By the way, didn't the AVS in the main book tell you anything?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Apr 4 2005, 10:35 AM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Arethusa)

Sorry, but that's patently untrue. If I had either the will or the desire, I'd use the Firearm Creation Rules on Raygun's site to create a horrible monstrosity (I certainly have in the past). Hell, some of Raygun's own weapons are cheeky as far as game balance goes.

Again: It's the player, not the system.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post Apr 4 2005, 03:16 PM
Post #24

Running Target

I honestly can't tell if that's sarcasm or not :huh:

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Apr 4 2005, 02:14 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,185

I think he's definitely referring to it as munchy. If that fits with your campaign style then fine but it might be percieved as a bit superheroic for most people's tastes.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:34 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.