Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Since every superhero needs a signature weapon...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
HMHVV Hunter
I've got a vampire hunter character (of course) named Helios that I'm currently playing right now, and I got to thinking: I sort of designed this guy along the lines of a superhero (sort of like Blade).

Well, every superhero needs a signature weapon - John Constantine's holy shotgun, Blade's sword, etc. So I figured: why not give this guy a signature weapon?

So here's the assault rifle I designed specifically for Helios. I haven't pitched this to my GM yet since the game's a play-by-post and we're currently in the midst of heavy combat, but once the run's over, I'll pitch this. Before I do though, I was just wondering what you guys thought.

While you're at it, if any cool names come to mind for this weapon, I'd appreciate them; I'm really bad at naming stuff.

So here it is, the as-yet-unnamed vampire hunter's assault rifle:

Helios’s Assault Rifle

Frame:
Assault Rifle
-Damage Code: 8M
-Firing Modes: SA/BF/FA
-Concealability: 3
-Weight: 6 kg.
-Ammo Capacity: 30 ©
-Mount: Top, Barrel, Under
-FCU: 3
-DPV: 225

Customizations

Barrel Reduction
-DP: +8
-FCU: -.5
-Weight: -.25 kg.
-Concealability: +2

Bullpup Configuration:
-DP: +25
-Weight: None
-Concealability: +2

Ceramic Components (Level 1):
-DP: +20
-FCU: -.25
-Weight: -.1 kg.
-Concealability: +2 vs. MADs

Easy Breakdown:
-DP: +40
-FCU: -1
-Concealability: None

Improved FCU:
-DP: +10
-FCU: +.25

Increased Power (Level 1):
-DP: +80
-Weight: +.25 kg.

Selectable Clip:
-DP: +35
-Weight: +.1 kg.
-Concealability: -1

Weight Decrease (Level 8 ):
-DP: +40
-FCU: None
-Weight: -2 kg.

Modifications

Embossing/Engraving:
-Mount: None
-DP: +20
-Phrase: “It’s open season on all suckheads.” – Blade

Extended Clips (+40; 20 extra rounds/clip):
-DP: +80

Personalized Grip:
-DP: +25

Underbarrel Weapon (Grenade Launcher):
-Mount: Underbarrel
-Weight: +2 kg.
-DP: +360
-Concealability: -3

Final Stats

-Frame: Assault Rifle
-Damage Code: 9M
-Firing Modes: SA/BF/FA
-Ammo Capacity: 50/50 (c/c)
-Mounts: Barrel, Top
-FCU: 0
-DPV: 968

Street Samurai Catalog Entry

Constructed specifically for the vampire hunter Helios, this rifle is designed for the hunting of the undead. Two switchable clips allow Helios to carry two different specialty ammunition loads, and a grenade launcher allows for some heavy firepower in a pinch. Its ergonomic grip and bullpup configuration provide extra control (2 points of RC when Helios is using it, 1 RC when someone else is using it), and its rounds pack extra punch. Its range suffers somewhat from a shortened barrel, but Helios considers the trade-off worth it.

-Ammo: 50 ( c )/50 ( c )
-Modes: SA/BF/FA
-Damage: 9M
-Cost: 4,840 nuyen
(Ranges: Short: 0 – 45, Medium: 46 – 135, Long: 136 – 315, Extreme: 316 – 495)

Grenade Launcher:
-Conceal: -
-Ammo: 6 (m)
-Mode: SS
-Damage: as grenade

After-Market Modifications

Extended Laser Sight:
-Mount: Top
-Weight: +.25
-Concealability: -1
-Cost: 1,500 nuyen

Gas Vent IV:
-Mount: Barrel
-Weight: +.75
-Concealability: -2
-Cost: 1,000 nuyen

Shock Pads:
-Weight: +.25
-Cost: 200 nuyen
Krazy
I love it, the mental pic is stunning. now for names are you thinking badass, or witty like Re-Death or the usual way of naming personal weapons a female name like Alexa which incidently means protector of men, and happens to be the name one of my paint-guns.

what kinda ammo are you going to be using?
HMHVV Hunter
Nah, I'm not looking for female names (that tradition always seemed a bit dumb to me), but I'm looking for something like, say, the Holy Shotgun, but something cooler than that.

As for the types of ammo, he has his own custom-made ammo for hunting the Infected. He has three types: silver-jacketed, iron-jacketed, and oak-jacketed. He just uses normal ammo for ghouls and other HMHVV types with no particular weaknesses.
Foreigner
HMHVV Hunter:

I realize that this isn't exactly on-topic, but would an Ares Viper Slivergun be a viable weapon against those infected with HMHVV?

I know that wooden flechettes won't work, but what about plating them with silver, or coating them with silver nitrate?

(I seem to recall reading about a PC who used an Ares Superquirt loaded with a mixture of distilled water, silver nitrate (or colloidal silver, I forget which), and Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO). NASTY weapon. For that matter, a gas grenade--either hand-thrown or launched from a weapon-- using that mixture might also be worth looking into.)

P.S.: Would this work for your weapon's grenade launcher? A timed-airburst or "intelligent" grenade (modified Smartlink, I think) loaded with a gaseous mixture of the aforementioned chemicals, or possibly buckshot pellets (cast from pure silver) would be nasty against massed targets of the Infected. After all, don't the Infected (particularly Krieger-strain, i.e, Ghouls) tend to congregate in fairly large groups?

--Foreigner
HMHVV Hunter
Yeah, that's what I was thinking for grenades too - silver or iron, or wood shards. And yeah, it'd be very useful for cleaning out ghouls if I used AP or HE.

As for sliverguns, I've never liked the idea of those. They're nearly useless against armored opponents, and SR vampires are intelligent enough that if they knew someone was coming for them, they'd be wearing at least armor clothing (the other HMHVV types might not be so intelligent though).
toturi
psst... Called Shots with SL2?
HMHVV Hunter
He's an adept; no cyber for this guy (you're in the game with me; you should know! wink.gif )
toturi
SL2 Smart Goggles. I know.

If I had the cash, I'd would have gone with the Steyr AUG CSL with SL2 goggles.
FlakJacket
It doesn't explicitly say in the book, if I was the GM I'd make you take a -1 hit on concealability for the extended clips since you're practically doubling their size. Although by the letter of the rules you don't have to.
Pthgar
You should have Melee Hardening for if the vamps get to close. Also, don't forget the U.V. flashlight. Every little bit helps. My vamp hunter Ender has a sig sword. Weapon Foci are just too useful verses vamps.
BitBasher
I know that wooden flechettes won't work, but what about plating them with silver, or coating them with silver nitrate?
This is SR, silver does absolutely nothing to vampires, they have neither a vulnerability nor an allergy to silver.
Wit
QUOTE (FlakJacket)
It doesn't explicitly say in the book, if I was the GM I'd make you take a -1 hit on concealability for the extended clips since you're practically doubling their size. Although by the letter of the rules you don't have to.

I'd be gracious and offer to take the concealability hit. If you start being a rules-lawyer with your GM, s/he might just decide that the next thing you fight won't be a vampire, but a dragon.
toturi
QUOTE (Wit)
I'd be gracious and offer to take the concealability hit. If you start being a rules-lawyer with your GM, s/he might just decide that the next thing you fight won't be a vampire, but a dragon.

Then the next thing a rules-lawyer will do is create a PC that will beat a dragon. No a smart thing to kill a PC off with something bigger.
SpasticTeapot
Name for the weapon:
Maccabee shel HaNair
("Hammer of the light" in hebrew.)
It's tricky to pronounce, but you'll get many brownie (and possibly karma) points from your GM for well-researched roleplaying.
Ol' Scratch
So basically a fully automatic heavy pistol (albeit with a vastly superior range) with grenade launcher and no recoil in BF mode and neglible in FA mode. Oh, at the price of not being dual-able and with a minor Concealability hit over some other big pistols. Joy. Nothing wrong with that. No sir. Well balanced weapon, that. <thumbs up>
toturi
Here's a name for the weapon: Daystar.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
[...] a minor Concealability hit over some other big pistols.

While I agree with you about the weapon over-all, I think it's worth pointing out that with the Laser Sight and Gas Vent attached, the weapon has a Concealability of 0.
Ol' Scratch
True, true. My mistake.
Arethusa
So basically a fully automatic heavy pistol (albeit with a vastly superior range) with grenade launcher and no recoil in BF mode and neglible in FA mode. Oh, at the price of not being dual-able and with a minor Concealability hit over some other big pistols. Joy. Nothing wrong with that. No sir. Well balanced weapon, that. <thumbs up>

You know, swap out a few words for context sensitive variables and we could just turn that into a forum macro for any thread that involves the Canon Companion weapon creation rules. Can't miss.
Ol' Scratch
It's hardly limited to that system. Every one of them out there can be abused. It's more about the player designing the weapon, not the guidelines used to create 'em.
Arethusa
Oh, come on. They may all be unavoidably abusable, but CC creation rules are in a class of screwed up reserved just for them.
toturi
QUOTE (Arethusa)
Oh, come on. They may all be unavoidably abusable, but CC creation rules are in a class of screwed up reserved just for them.

They are not any more broken than the Char Gen rules. Look at any of the min-maxed characters and compare them to archetypes in the book, you'll find the difference similar to the guns you can create and the guns in the book. By the way, didn't the AVS in the main book tell you anything?
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Arethusa)

Sorry, but that's patently untrue. If I had either the will or the desire, I'd use the Firearm Creation Rules on Raygun's site to create a horrible monstrosity (I certainly have in the past). Hell, some of Raygun's own weapons are cheeky as far as game balance goes.

Again: It's the player, not the system.
HMHVV Hunter

I honestly can't tell if that's sarcasm or not question.gif
Vuron
I think he's definitely referring to it as munchy. If that fits with your campaign style then fine but it might be percieved as a bit superheroic for most people's tastes.
apple

They are not any more broken than the Char Gen rules.

There is a fundamental difference between chargen-rules and weapon construction rules

1) you can go up with almost no limit with the construction rules (adding option after option), but you can go only down from 120 points. Think of the characters you could and perhaps would make if there would be no limit other than the GM ... and think of the weapons you could make if you only have 300 design points.

2) chargen is a focus in almost every RPG ... weapons in SR are an important part of the game but IMHO they are much more behind the characters.

And yes, rules who would make an assault rifle smaller than a pistol (for example) are not really that great.

SYL
Edward
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Apr 4 2005, 04:41 AM)
So basically a fully automatic heavy pistol (albeit with a vastly superior range) with grenade launcher and no recoil in BF mode and neglible in FA mode.  Oh, at the price of not being dual-able and with a minor Concealability hit over some other big pistols.  Joy.  Nothing wrong with that.  No sir.  Well balanced weapon, that.  <thumbs up>

I honestly can't tell if that's sarcasm or not question.gif

I am farley shore that is sarcasm. a suitable smiley would have helped

Or where you being sarcastic?

Edward
Krazy
Simple fact is that there is no good way to make "digital" weapons in an "analog" world. ther are way way way too many variables everything from quality of design and maufacture to duability, design use, and even country of origin.
I pretty much threw out conceialbility rules in my game. they just don't make sense. so I look at how hard the person is looking for the weapon, how good can they see the person (to look for symetry) how big, and where the person is carrying it. So if you've got a preditor in an ankle holster, the cop saw it. and if your wearing a Max-power in a conceialble hip holster and no shirt, everybody saw it. but then again, I probably think about it too much. My view may come from a PC's Troll who carried his M107 HMG around in a oversized golf bag. I guess is all just depends on your game.
HMHVV Hunter
Guys, we're getting off-topic here; I wasn't trying to start a debate over the CC rules, I was just looking for opinions.

In response to some of the "too munchy" comments, let me say:

1. This GM gave us 100 extra karma to begin building our characters with (after the 130 or so BP), so my impression is that he's the high-powered sort.

2. This guy would be paying out the nose for this thing (over 7,000 nuyen after the Gas Vent IV and other add-ons), so it's hardly an easily obtainable weapon.

3. What's the point of designing a weapon and paying out the nose for it if it's not frickin' awesome?
Ol' Scratch
3. The point is that those rules are there to try and help you design weapons that aren't already covered by the game. A high-powered assault rifle with underbarrel grenade launcher and integral recoil compensation already exists -- such as the Ares Alpha. What your designed is pure munchdom. Period.

Now if you were trying to create something that isn't already covered by a stock model, like a silenced flechette-firing assault rifle with integral flamethrower, that would be something else entirely. But even then, it wouldn't be an excuse to munch it out with everything you possibly could.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (CC 72)
The resources required to design and manufacture a gun from scratch are beyond the reach of most shadowrunners.  Certain gun-loving characters may attempt it in a quest to develop the perfect firearm or create a completely untraceable weapon.

No, I think the point of the rules are to add content to the game in a way that is not completely arbitrary. Although, starting PCs should usually have an additional drawback attached to any custom weapon, and all gear selection needs GM approval, there is no line at all indicating that the rules should not be used to make functionally different variants of weapons in the book already.
Capt. Dave
HMHVV Hunter, I like the weapon. You seem to be playing in a high-powered campaign, and the gun would fit well, IMHO. The CC design rules are there for you to create your own weapon, be it a completely different model, or an upgrade to an established design. It's ludicrous to assume that because a gun already exists that a character can't design a similar one.

As to munchiness, I've never been one to throw that word around as some do.
Custom weapons should be better than stock ones. So you have 2 magazines to choose from, and you have lots of recoil comp. Effective? Yes.
Game-breaking? No.

HMHVV Hunter
3. The point is that those rules are there to try and help you design weapons that aren't already covered by the game. A high-powered assault rifle with underbarrel grenade launcher and integral recoil compensation already exists -- such as the Ares Alpha. What your designed is pure munchdom. Period.

Now if you were trying to create something that isn't already covered by a stock model, like a silenced flechette-firing assault rifle with integral flamethrower, that would be something else entirely. But even then, it wouldn't be an excuse to munch it out with everything you possibly could.

Sure, I could buy an Area Alpha. But that wouldn't be nearly as cool as a signature weapon. That's the whole point of these customization rules; to make a weapon that doesn't exist anywhere else if you feel like it (and the GM allows it). That's the whole reason why I put a movie quote that fits the guys attitude on the weapon with the Embossing/Engraving mod; to further mark it as his own.

Also, in-game it would make sense for Helios to order only the deadliest weapon. His prey is far more dangerous than some corporate security guards. One bite, or even one scratch, and he risks becoming one of them. It'd make sense he'd order the deadliest weapon he could.

Also, I should point out that Helios wouldn't be making the weapon himself; he has an Arms Dealer contact; I figure I could have him custom-order something from someone he knows.

And Captain Dave's right; custom jobs should be better, not the least of the reasons why being that the buyer is paying out the wazoo for it.
Vuron
Customized weapons should be slightly better than listed weapons not whole orders of magnitude better. If it was so easy as to go to a gunsmith and say I want teh uber gun then people would do that in real life. The simple fact of the matter is that besides slight increases in capabilities for the most part it's not possible to stretch that much more out of a firearm within a class than what is already done.

That being said if your game calls for over the top stylized weapons then go for it but realize that widespread acceptance is going to be a bit hard to find here.
Smiley
QUOTE (Capt. Dave)
Custom weapons should be better than stock ones. So you have 2 magazines to choose from, and you have lots of recoil comp. Effective? Yes.
Game-breaking? No.

Precisely. Anything the PCs have access to, the opposition has access to. A godlike firearm shouldn't skew the entire game world. I don't know why people get their shorts in a twist over it as much as they do.
Ol' Scratch
Precisely. Anything the PCs have access to, the opposition has access to. A godlike firearm shouldn't skew the entire game world. I don't know why people get their shorts in a twist over it as much as they do.

In that case, invite me into your game and I'll bring my Concealability 1,000, 10,000D, Infinite Clip, SA/BF/FA, Fully Silenced, High-Velocity, 100 Recoil Compensated Hold-Out Pistol into your game. Everyone else will be able to get one, too, so that'll make everything totally balanced. Yep.
Smiley
If you can make it with the firearm design rules, bring it on.
HMHVV Hunter

In that case, invite me into your game and I'll bring my Concealability 1,000, 10,000D, Infinite Clip, SA/BF/FA, Fully Silenced, High-Velocity, 100 Recoil Compensated Hold-Out Pistol into your game. Everyone else will be able to get one, too, so that'll make everything totally balanced. Yep.

Oh c'mon, give me a break.

First of all, a powerful weapon DOES NOT guarantee success. It depends on the person wielding it. All that RC is useless if the guy can't aim.

Secondly, the GM is the god of the game world. He could have a bunch of vampires armed with experimental burst-fire capable shotguns fitted for Big D's Temper rounds (provided by a megacorp for whatever nefarious reason) if he wanted to, in opposition to this guy. The point is, there are ways to counter its sheer deadliness, both direct and indirect.

Thirdly, the two clips are more for adapability than to have an extra 50 rounds. Having both normal and specialty ammo within easy reach is a nice plus for this guy.
Smiley
Let's look at this from a game perspective. HMHVV Hunter's PhysAd can throw a couple of bursts, go full auto, or launch a grenade. He has no grenade link. His bullets are going to be marginally more deadly because of the recoil comp and the power increase and the laser sight. Dear god, no. No GM could ever hope to compensate for such godlike power. ohplease.gif Any razorguy with an SLII and a grenade link can do just as much, if not more, with normal, humdrum stock weapons. What's the big freaking deal?
Apathy
Munchie isn't a dirty word, it's just a playing style. If you, your fellow PCs, and your GM want to play a munchkin game, have at it. Might be lots of fun.

That said, it's a munchkin weapon. embarrassed.gif
Smiley
I don't see what's so munchy about wanting a weapon that's better than average but totally within the rules. Shadowrunning is dangerous and the people who do it are going to want every advantage they can get. Longer life expectancy, smaller mortality rate.
Cynic project
I think this is a bad idea. Anyone who is willing to make a costume gun is just asking to be caught. One the key rules of about shadowrun is, to assume that your enemies are more friendly with each other than with you. So, when a bunch of vampires start dying they could look at how things happened. Find out all the clues that single out one source, and then go threw the cases, finding out all the patterns, and such to single you out of the crowd.

Say of 10,000 people that know and or have been near vamp A, how many of those have the skills to kill Vamp A? Out of those people how many of them fit the same bill for vamp B? And so on....
Shanshu Freeman
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
Nah, I'm not looking for female names (that tradition always seemed a bit dumb to me), but I'm looking for something like, say, the Holy Shotgun, but something cooler than that.

As for the types of ammo, he has his own custom-made ammo for hunting the Infected. He has three types: silver-jacketed, iron-jacketed, and oak-jacketed. He just uses normal ammo for ghouls and other HMHVV types with no particular weaknesses.

Call it "The Silencer," (no matter how loud it is) or "Final Say," "Final Word," something along those lines.
Fygg Nuuton

the first time in recent memory i have agreed with you

it would be cheaper for the character to just get a modified alpha, or a carbine model (like the m4 to the m16) or something

asside from the selectable magazine, you havent done much else to it
kevyn668

Now if you were trying to create something that isn't already covered by a stock model, like a silenced flechette-firing assault rifle with integral flamethrower, that would be something else entirely.  But even then, it wouldn't be an excuse to munch it out with everything you possibly could.

Mmmmm....nastiness. facelick.gif

In all seriousness, Hunter, I'd probably steal this idea from the Doc and go crank it out. I like the idea of that gun for a number of reasons:
1) Its freaking cool.
2) It truely is a signature weapon. How many times have we seen the "9M, bull-pup, dual-mag, AR w/ heavy RC"? (No offense, Hunter. Just calling 'em like I see 'em).
3) It's not as "Whup-Ass" vs. sec guards and sams as it is against vamps and ghouls.
4) It is effective against most of the Infected as they (hopefully) don't wear armor that often.
5) When you get to a smart bad guy (ie. the Finale)and he is wearing armor, its more movie-/comic like.

Oh, and I go with the Melee Hardening, too. smile.gif

[ Spoiler ]
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Fygg Nuuton)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Apr 4 2005, 11:01 AM)
3.  The point is that those rules are there to try and help you design weapons that aren't already covered by the game.  A high-powered assault rifle with underbarrel grenade launcher and integral recoil compensation already exists -- such as the Ares Alpha.  What your designed is pure munchdom.  Period.

Now if you were trying to create something that isn't already covered by a stock model, like a silenced flechette-firing assault rifle with integral flamethrower, that would be something else entirely.  But even then, it wouldn't be an excuse to munch it out with everything you possibly could.

the first time in recent memory i have agreed with you

it would be cheaper for the character to just get a modified alpha, or a carbine model (like the m4 to the m16) or something

asside from the selectable magazine, you havent done much else to it

Yes, but there's nothing cooler than having your own weapon. Although a bit shorter than a standard assault rifle, it's so packed with accessories that it's in the same concealibility range as, say, a vindicator machine gun...and deals much less damage, too.
I think that the system is a bit broken (burstfire 12-guage shotguns with oodles of recoil comphensation are just plain freakin' absurd), but they allow some pretty cool weapons, as well. I recently cooked up an insanely-powerful 12-shot(!) revolver using .50 Action Express amunition with a much longer barrel than standard, allowing it to do something along the lines of 11M. Sure, it's about the size of a football and a pain to reload, but it makes for an interesting sidearm if nothing else. Plus, you gain a major initimidation factor if you're pointing a weapon at someone that looks more like a cannon than a pistol.
One idea I've been kicking about is magical links (akin to Smartlinks) for physads. (Flaming is not necessary. I know it's potentially game-breaking, yadda yadda yadda etc.) To balance out the insane advantage it gives to pistoladepts (with 12 dice and a -2 to TN's, ven streetline becomes pretty scary), the character would have to do two very important things:
1. Pay a boatload of karma. Think along the lines of a weapon focus, with a hold-out being akin to a force-1 focus, while a panther cannon would be about a force-5. Shotguns and assault rifles would be 3-4, SMGs 2-3. If the character uses lots of different weapons, this is likely to eat up a LOT of karma. And, if the character wants SL-II bonuses, he or she must pay 3 more karma to get them, or +2 to the base cost. (6+ total karma for a shotgun with SLII is a hefty cost indeed.)
2. Have the weapon custom-made by an Awaked armorer, at 200% of the weapon's base cost. (This does not include things like bullpup design gas vent, etc.) This reflects the need for magical materials for the adept to use; making a weapon spit out an empty clip is a small matter but requires magically active materials in the clip ejector, even in miniscule amounts. The difficulty of finding someone to do this is a major incentive for a pistoladept to build his/her own pistols.

So. total cost:
-.5 adept ability point for ability
-Karma for bonding, at least a run's worth. (Remember, building weapons tends to require some karma in itself to fix bad die rolls.)
-5-6 BP necessary for pistols B/R skill
-Cost boost equivalent to that of a Smartlink

Unfair? I think not. It limits a player to one weapon per karma expenditure, meaning that the character will become VERY attached to their favorite weapon or blow all their karma so that they have the bonuses with every gun they own.
kevyn668
Devil May Cry much?
Smiley
Ok, the limit to a revolver is 7 shots. There is no way you can have it do 11M base damage. If you're going to use the firearm creation rules, FOLLOW them. It's hard enough defending the custom weapons without someone making shit up.
kackling kactuar
kevyn: I was feeling bored, so I decided to whip up your gun. Hopefully, I didn't butcher the rules too badly. Enjoy!

[ Spoiler ]
toturi
QUOTE (kackling kactuar)
If you look closely, you can spot the words "Doctor Funkenstein's Mother" engraved on both sides of the barrel in intricate lettering.

rollin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012