Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Since every superhero needs a signature weapon...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Raygun
I think it's fine. I've definitely seen firearm creation rules abused much worse than this. It's not something I would really have any of my characters haul around, but I think it should work just fine in a stylistic, comic-booky (read: superhero) kind of way that probably suits HMHVV Hunter's idea of the game better than it would mine. As far as all the practicality issues go, they take a back seat in this case, like they always do in a comic book-type setting.

It's heavy and hella expensive. The way I see it, those things balance out the extra point of power (woo) and the large ammunition capacity (which you could get just as well today by using a C-Mag). Of course all of this very well could be done much cheaper with a less-unique type of gun (I was thinking a 14" Steyr AUG with a C-Mag), but that doesn't really follow the idea behind the character and the type of game HMHVV Hunter appears to like playing.

Game balance is, always has been, and always will be a totally subjective thing. What ruins a game for you may make the game for someone else. Going around and telling everyone that something "ruins game balance" is nothing more than a puerile way of suggesting that you don't like what someone else has come up with. Unless you happen to be gaming with the offending party, it's absolutely pointless to say such things.

QUOTE (Vuron)
If it was so easy as to go to a gunsmith and say I want teh uber gun then people would do that in real life.

They do. Though not usually for use as combat weapons. Check out some of the guns people use for competition today. The guns may be based off of an existing design (taking the best part of it and changing what can be improved upon), but they are often totally custom-built to the user's specifications. For example, compare a standard 1911 to this. Or this to pretty much anything else on the market.

In this case, the selectable clip thing has always been a bit out there as it's not a very practical concept for combat firearms (though it has been implemented as a design feature in some). More than probably anything else on the planet, combat firearms are designed with practicality in mind. But again, in this case, that really doesn't matter much.

QUOTE (Smiley)
Ok, the limit to a revolver is 7 shots.

If that's the case, it's kind of silly. I have a .22 LR revolver that holds 9 rounds.

QUOTE (SpasticTeapot)
I recently cooked up an insanely-powerful 12-shot(!) revolver using .50 Action Express amunition with a much longer barrel than standard, allowing it to do something along the lines of 11M.

What rules did you use to create that?
SpasticTeapot
QUOTE (Smiley)
Ok, the limit to a revolver is 7 shots. There is no way you can have it do 11M base damage. If you're going to use the firearm creation rules, FOLLOW them. It's hard enough defending the custom weapons without someone making shit up.

To be throughly honest, I don't even own the canon companion. (Too freakin' expensive for my tastes, anyway.) Instead, I use a nifty program a guy I know sent me. It works well enough, and it's faster than the old-fasioned method.
Also, this is a completely nonstandard gun. (There's a tick-off box for this; it allows you to do things like revolver-based shotguns that don't make much sense.) For a hefty extra fee, you can use almost half the number of bullets commonly found in your average clip.
I will freely admit that I'm using some bizzare house rules I picked up here and there, including those for some super-high-power pistol ammo (the .50 action express ammunition has nearly 3x the total kinetic energy of many shells on the market today) but I'm 30$ richer as a result. (Or was until after I purchased a certian someone a box of overpriced candy, anyway.) Sure, my rules let you create guns that don't exist in real life (and for good reason, too!) but there's no reason why, if you've fixed a large enough gun, that more than 7 bullets are possible. It would be innefficient and bulky, but it would be pretty darn cool nonetheless.

Anyway, let's compare this to, say, a Heckler and Koch 227 SMG.
The HK227 has integrated L2 recoil comphensation. The revolver's got zilch.
The HK227 does 9-10S when fired in burst mode. The revolver does 11M.
The HK227 has a nice, big, easily ejected clip. The revolver requires manual reloading.
The HK227 can be concealed, with difficulty. The revolver is about as concealible as leprosy.
The HK227 can mount smartgun hardware. The revolver...Don't even think about it.
The HK227 can mow down oponents with impunity; a revolver's semi-auto action will require it to be reloaded every 2-3 combat turns (even with 12 bullets).
The HK227 can be fitted with a sight. With a revolver, forget about it.
Aside from the benifits pertaining to durability and simplicity (you can drop it in whatever, and it'll still work fine when you take it out providing you wash out the debris) the revolver is a decidedly inferior weapon. Although it's cool (and very, very big) your PCs have little or no incentive to use it.

So, I would like to ask: What's wrong with a little unrealisim if it still leaves the PC behind a smartgun-toting gunbunny in terms of firepower? (Actually, I doubt there's a pistol that's that awful)

So, if I can say it once, I'll say it a million times:
The rules are [u]guidelines, not lalws. [/i]
EDIT:
Okay, I'll admit it, I was told that this program was kosher. Apparently, that button was left as an option for loopy GM's like me to make insane weapons for their PCs. However, with a concealibility of 2, this weapon is still a piece of crap unless you're a physad with no initiative enhancement. (And even then, it's not very good.)

Also, I yoinked the .50 AA rules from a PDF someone gave me on a floppy. Considering the 2x cost multiplier I impose, and the fact that you're looking at a good 30% more power than most ammo listed in my "big list of real-life ammunition," the +1 to power is more than fair.
kevyn668
kackling kactuar: Sweatness. cool.gif

Fortune
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot @ Apr 5 2005, 10:00 AM)
One idea I've been kicking about is magical links (akin to Smartlinks) for physads ...

You might want to check out the rules for Attunement in SotA64, but of course, that would require you to actually read another book. Do you own, or have access to any Shadowrun books?
Ol' Scratch
Although a bit shorter than a standard assault rifle, it's so packed with accessories that it's in the same concealibility range as, say, a vindicator machine gun...and deals much less damage, too.

Wrong. His will actually hit a target, what, with his +0 recoil modifier even in FA.

But no, it's a finely balanced piece of machinery. I think the designers should introduce it just as written into the game, 'cause it's so awesome. Oh, and others are right -- that neglible weight difference is a huge balancing factor, too. It's going to come up all the time. Especially since it only has +1 power over all the other assault rifles in the game, and nothing else about it is special in any way whatsoever compared to other stock models. Excellent job. <nodnodnod>

Now if only they would add in that equally-not-unbalancing-in-any-way-whatsoever electronic recoil compensation thingy I've seen around before -- the one that lets you get like a full 10+ points of recoil compensation on just about any firearm -- well, that would be fantastic. Mmhmm. Here's to hoping.
The Grifter
HMHVV Hunter- I think the gun sounds awesome. Most of these guys on here throw out the word "munchkin" at the drop of a fraggin' hat, just because they see something that (god forbid) isn't canon, or just might be cooler than something they have thought up.

I'm sorry, DumpShock, but I refuse to bow to the corporate masters at WizKids just because what one guy wrote in a book is the way he says it is. Wanna know another book like that and the people who follow it to the letter? The book is the bible, and the people are Christians. No matter what you say, god himself didn't come down to Iowa or wherever the printing press is and personally write the Canon Companion. If HMHVV Hunter wants to make a cool gun, let him. Instead, most of you choose to sling the "M" word at him. Way to go. Smash his creativity and make him feel like a twink.

Look.....there's a globalized virtual reality computer Matrix, cyberzombies, orbital satellites, and riggers can jack into a car and feel what it feels, yet you flip balls on this guy when he wants a damned asault rifle with a grenade launcher and a selectable clip?

Jesus, tear yourselves away from the books and get outside. You know who you are.
Austere Emancipator
The Grifter: I think you misunderstand most of the criticism. I don't think a single person has said the weapon is not canon, or that it does not follow rules. In fact, a large part of the criticism is directed at the fact in canon it is possible to create a weapon like this.
The Grifter
In fact, a large part of the criticism is directed at the fact in canon it is possible to create a weapon like this.

Agreed. So, if By the rules the weapon can be built, how does that make the weapon "munchkin"? It's not even like the design is outrageous. A minigun with a bayonet and underbarrel grappling gun. Now, that's a bit ridiculous. I could see that being munchkin. Not Hunter's idea.
Austere Emancipator
Several definitions of "munchkin" don't involve breaking the rules. Even by my definition being a munchkin mostly consists of abusing the rules or doing your best to get around them, rather than just ignoring them. (That's not to say I think HMHVV Hunter's weapon is munchkinny, but I do think it may in some games be unbalanced.)

A minigun with a bayonet would indeed be ridiculous. Try six bayonets.
The Grifter

Now there's an idea. What about suppressors? cool.gif
Mortax
rotfl.gif

I love it.

Back to the topic:
Um.. what about Lighthammer? Or Mjornir?
Austere Emancipator
Or underbarrel flamethrowers.

QUOTE (Mortax)
Or Mjolnir?
HMHVV Hunter
Hmm...I like the "Light" part of Lighthammer, but Helios doesn't really have a Norse affiliation/background, so I dunno about the "hammer" (it just sounds really Norse to me).

"Light"...something. At least I've got part of a name smile.gif
kackling kactuar
Lightbulb?

Lighthouse?

Lightweight?
Nikoli
How about "Cure"
Raygun
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Now if only they would add in that equally-not-unbalancing-in-any-way-whatsoever electronic recoil compensation thingy I've seen around before -- the one that lets you get like a full 10+ points of recoil compensation on just about any firearm -- well, that would be fantastic.  Mmhmm.  Here's to hoping.

Once again, far be it from me to try and teach you anything that might benefit your understanding of things that actually exist in the world you inhabit, but I've said it before, and as often as you keep bringing it up I'll say it again: If a system exists in reality that allows a person to put 10 rounds of fully-automatic fire inside of four inches at 25 meters (18 rounds inside of six inches), it should most definitely exist in this game we call Shadowrun.

US Patent 5379677
US Patent 5713150
US Patent 5770814

The version in patent 5379677 is detailed The Gun Digest Book of Assault Weapons, 5th Edition. ISBN 0-87341-778-X.

Now, if you think that makes everything totally unfair in your game, that's fine. Don't use it. No one is forcing you to accept it. In fact, it wasn't even a factor in the conversation until you found it necessary to bring up something else to complain about. Please, spare us all the stomping around and whining (yes, you're whining again) about how things "ruin game balance" when the balance of the game most definitely cannot be assessed by a person who has nothing to do with the particular game in question.
The Grifter
Sweet bleeding Jesus, thank you!
Tanka
I wonder. Did people complain when guns went from single-shot to having multiple shots before it needed reloading? That must've been "gamebreaking" and "munchkiny."
Arethusa
There were some complaints, but we opened up a can of whupass at Gettysburg.
The Grifter
Hey, I thought it was munchkin when people started using rocks as weapons instead of their fists.
Apathy
While I don't share Doc Funk's vehemence, I would have to point out that HMHVV Hunter started this thread asking people for their opinions. Are you really that surprised that some of the people that responded don't like it? Why do you even care?

Raygun, I'd agree that better guns than this exist in the real world. For that matter, all the guns in SR3 are gimped compared to the real world. But at least when everybody's using the same guns, it's an even playing field. It's only munchkiny if you want your character to have advantages that none of the other characters/NPC are allowed to have.

That said, if you're playing in a high-powered campaign, maybe your weapons are supposed to be a bit munchkiny. (I'd also be a hypocrite if I didn't mention that I like playing munchkins sometimes, too. smile.gif )
lorthazar
Can't see why it is munchkin. I think everyone is just jealous. As for a name, Stake-In, Silver Express, or be perverse and call it Stan
Fortune
Jealous of what?
lorthazar
if you have to ask it does not apply to you nyahnyah.gif
Foreigner
(The Grifter)

Now there's an idea. What about suppressors?  spin.gif

The Grifter:

It's been done--many years ago, in fact.

According to J. David Truby's SILENCERS, SNIPERS, AND ASSASSINS (Copyright © 1972 by Paladin Press), pages 144--146, the firm of Sionics, Inc. (later Military Armaments Corporation) developed such a device for the GE M-134 7.62mm Miniguns carried by helicopter gunships and the AC-47 (a/k/a "Spooky" or "Dragonship" ; radio callsign "Puff the Magic Dragon") fire-support aircraft.

...Although hardly in the area of small arms, the 7.62mm Minigun, also known as the successor to the Gatling gun, has been fitted and tested with noise suppressors designed by Sionics (now Military Armaments Corporation). As with most military tests, these were prompted by problems in the field. It seems that the fantastic rate of fire from these guns, which nears 7000 rounds per minute, was creating a fire hazard on the helicopter's aluminum skin. In addition, the drumming cacaphony of these guns firing, which is so loud and fast that individual reports cannot be heard and the sound is just like a thundering roar, was making radio communication within the ship a real problem. I {the author} talked with a former pilot who flew the C-47A (sic), which is an old C-47 fitted with three minigun systems and used to circle a target and rain down a smashing fist of gunfire on the ground below. He said that the sound of the guns totally obliterated any radio communication during action. The obvious answer was a silencer which would suppress heat as well as noise.
Sionics came to the rescue in October 1968, and the silencer tests for these mighty guns were reported in January 1969. Initial tests were conducted at Underhill Firing Range using the Sionics suppressor as compared to the plain barrel and the General Electric Flash Suppressor (GE developed the Minigun concept).
Test results clearly indicated that the Sionics suppressor was a highly effective device for reducing blast pressures, e.g., with the plain barrel, pressure was 50 PSI, while with the silencer, this was cut to 4 PSI. In terms of sound reduction, the silencer cut that nearly in half,....

However, only ONE system--Serial Number 2001--was actually produced.

...According to their data, the massiveness of the suppressor increased torque requirements by nearly 50 percent as well as adding 50 percent to the weight of the 7.62 gun assembly. These are hardly desirable features in an airborne operation.
In addition, the maximum life of the suppressor was about 200 rounds, and the internal heat and gases within the barrel caused the barrel to need relubrication after about 400 rounds. And, after 1000 rounds, there was excessive buildup of copper from bullet jacketing as well as baked-on carbon deposit. However, one documented post-test report has it that GE built a very limited number of their own suppressors for the Minigun. The conclusion of the silenced Minigun idea is not known, but it is doubtful if any have seen combat use.

Silencer technology has improved quite a bit in the last 40 years or so. The Barrett folks even have a suppressor option for their XM-109 25mm Payload Rifle.

Barrett .50-Caliber Rifles

Hope this helps. smile.gif

--Foreigner
Apathy
I think everyone is just jealous.

I'm jealous that you get to play at all. RL knocked me out of my game last summer. frown.gif
Raygun
QUOTE (Apathy)
While I don't share Doc Funk's vehemence, I would have to point out that HMHVV Hunter started this thread asking people for their opinions. Are you really that surprised that some of the people that responded don't like it? Why do you even care?

No, I'm not suprised in the slightest that some people don't like it. It's not my cup of tea either, and I expressed my opinions on the matter. My problem is not that Funk doesn't like the gun, it's that A) he and a number of other people around here can't appear to see beyond their own noses, and B) he in particular continually goes about expressing his displeasure in a particularly less-than-diplomatic fashion. If it doesn't fit his ideas of the game, it's actively riticuled. When his opinion is challenged, he finds something of mine that is unrelated to the conversation to attack. Not that I haven't had my bad days, but it appears to be a commonly reoccuring theme with old Funk.

HMHVV Hunter, playing a more "superhero" type of game than I would be interested in (which seems to be what Shadowrun is being geared towards anyway), put together a gun, completely by the rules, that seems like it should work just fine for him in his game. While some people appear to think of the gun as "overpowered" or "munchkin", purely by looking at the end result rather than the methods used to obtain the result, I personally don't mind it. I would probably allow something similar stats-wise in my own games, though not for the same reasons.

Now, you can call people "munchkins" if you want, even under the assumption that "munchkin" is a disparaging description of a person who plays "overpowered" campaigns. But seeing as you are totally unaware of how they integrate rules for the rest of the game, all you really accomplish by saying such things is to make youself look like an ass. For example, effectively increasing the power of firearms while disallowing a lot of the more comic-booky elements of the game, like most of the cyberware that turns characters into comic book combat monsters, does not really make for a "munchkin" or "high-powered" campaign. It makes firearms more lethal and as a result, it makes players less apt to get into head-to-head gunfights. It's kind of like the differences between playing Doom 3 and playing Splinter Cell.

Raygun, I'd agree that better guns than this exist in the real world. For that matter, all the guns in SR3 are gimped compared to the real world. But at least when everybody's using the same guns, it's an even playing field. It's only munchkiny if you want your character to have advantages that none of the other characters/NPC are allowed to have.

True. But in HMHVV Hunter's defense, he never said that no one else in his game would be allowed to use similar weaponry (a villain, perhaps? his henchmen?). On top of that, he is specifically talking about playing a superhero type of campaign. Superheros tend to have weapons and abilities that most people in their world do not. That's the primary reason why I'm bothering to defend his point of view. Sure, he's made a pretty powerful gun here, but quite obviously, he plays the game differently than I do.

That said, if you're playing in a high-powered campaign, maybe your weapons are supposed to be a bit munchkiny. (I'd also be a hypocrite if I didn't mention that I like playing munchkins sometimes, too. smile.gif )

It's all in how you play the game.
Eldritch
HMHVV Hunter- I think the gun sounds awesome. Most of these guys on here throw out the word "munchkin" at the drop of a fraggin' hat, just because they see something that (god forbid) isn't canon, or just might be cooler than something they have thought up

I wholerheartedly agree.

It is a cool gun - though I too would add melee hardening.

Tanka
I wouldn't add melee hardening to a rifle. To a pistol, sure. Rifle? Nah.
Suriyel
As a GM who had a campaign where "custom firearms gone wild" was an understatement, I feel like I should throw in some input here.

Now, in my case, a player created a heavy pistol with improved power and SA/BF (as a simple action) and about every means of packing recoil comp that the book said he could. Sadly, I had not quite the understanding of GM'ing I have now, or else I wouldn't have said since it's by the rules it is fine.

Looking at the canonical hand cannons, it would have been very clear that only in special cases should BF be a simple action on a heavy pistol frame. The Molly Millions AVSG and Robocop Thunderbolt are the two 'full' heavy pistols with simple action BF. The spirit of the Heavy Pistol, to me at least, is the big bang SA, as that somehow and somewhat balances their base 9 power against the power 8 rifles. Now, a 10M SA/BF heavy pistol becomes a superior assualt rifle in a smaller than smg package. Ie, not really going with the spirit of the frame. Tack in EX Explosive ammo, and you've got a 15S burst... It became known as the Gooey Gun, since anything at the wrong end of the barrel was reduced to goo. At least I learned from that one...

Now, with this assualt rifle, to me atleast, its in the spirit of the assualt rifle frame. In fact, not counting after market mods, this gun is very similar to the Alpha, just with increased power. An Alpha with aftermarket personalized grip, shock pads, GV4, would have about the same recoil compensation, be easier to replace (even though the unnamed gun was made to be a signiture weapon). Using a 'stock' firearm has it's perks.

Ammo capacity (atleast in my experience) isn't much of an issue when you've got enough rounds in a clip to get you through two combat turns since clip fed weapons are fast enough to reload that a single combat pass pause in your lead stream isn't that bad, especially if you've spent two turns raining lead into the opposition who should be hurting by the time you need to reload. If you do have enough passes to drain a full clip in a turn, you've probably got smart link and can also eject and load with enough time to kick off a burst in your last pass.

I'll admit, it's a top end gun powerwise, and nothing I'd like to get pegged with. But atleast in my opinion its not going against the spirit of the assualt frame, nor is it out of line when compared to its peers. Had it been a fully compensated high velocity with custom "functions as AV" ammunition, I'd have issues with it. As this one stands, in my opinion, it seems fine to me.
Eldritch
Though now that I think about it, Ceramic components and easy breakdown may not be fully compatable with melee hardening wink.gif

The Grifter
I wouldn't add melee hardening to a rifle. To a pistol, sure. Rifle? Nah.

Why not? Throw on a bayonet and you got yourself a decnt close-combat weapon.

The Grifter:

It's been done--many years ago, in fact.

According to J. David Truby's SILENCERS, SNIPERS, AND ASSASSINS (Copyright © 1972 by Paladin Press), pages 144--146, the firm of Sionics, Inc. (later Military Armaments Corpotation) developed such a device for the GE M-134 7.62mm Miniguns carried by helicopter gunships and the AC-47 (a/k/a "Spooky" or "Dragonship" ; radio callsign "Puff the Magic Dragon") fire-support aircraft.

...Although hardly in the area of small arms, the 7.62mm Minigun, also known as the successor to the Gatling gun, has been fitted and tested with noise suppressors designed by Sionics (now Military Armaments Corporation). As with most military tests, these were prompted by problems in the field. It seems that the fantastic rate of fire from these guns, which nears 7000 rounds per minute, was creating a fire hazard on the helicopter's aluminum skin. In addition, the drumming cacaphony of these guns firing, which is so loud and fast that individual reports cannot be heard and the sound is just like a thundering roar, was making radio communication within the ship a real problem. I {the author} talked with a former pilot who flew the C-47A (sic), which is an old C-47 fitted with three minigun systems and used to circle a target and rain down a smashing fist of gunfire on the ground below. He said that the sound of the guns totally obliterated any radio communication during action. The obvious answer was a silencer which would suppress heat as well as noise.
Sionics came to the rescue in October 1968, and the silencer tests for these mighty guns were reported in January 1969. Initial tests were conducted at Underhill Firing Range using the Sionics suppressor as compared to the plain barrel and the General Electric Flash Suppressor (GE developed the Minigun concept).
Test results clearly indicated that the Sionics suppressor was a highly effective device for reducing blast pressures, e.g., with the plain barrel, pressure was 50 PSI, while with the silencer, this was cut to 4 PSI. In terms of sound reduction, the silencer cut that nearly in half,....

However, only ONE system--Serial Number 2001--was actually produced.

...According to their data, the massiveness of the suppressor increased torque requirements by nearly 50 percent as well as adding 50 percent to the weight of the 7.62 gun assembly. These are hardly desirable features in an airborne operation.
In addition, the maximum life of the suppressor was about 200 rounds, and the internal heat and gases within the barrel caused the barrel to need relubrication after about 400 rounds. And, after 1000 rounds, there was excessive buildup of copper from bullet jacketing as well as baked-on carbon deposit. However, one documented post-test reporthas it that GE built a very limited number of their own suppressors for the Minigun. The conclusion of the silenced Minigun idea is not known, but it is doubtful if any have seen combat use.

This is true, but a totlly crap idea. Even though I see the point is to help with crew communications, and not in a stealth role, this idea is so flawed it hurts.

Arethusa
What, exactly, is so flawed about suppressing an M134? With modern suppressor technology, it could be viable for specialized applications or for facilitating crew communication.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (The Grifter)
This is true, but a totlly crap idea. Even though I see the point is to help with crew communications, and not in a stealth role, this idea is so flawed it hurts.

What's flawed about the idea? The results certainly were underwhelming. A suppressor that can only function for a few hundred rounds when you will likely be firing thousands isn't that workable, but the original idea, and the reasons behind it seemed quite reasonable.
Raygun
I would think that the major flaw is that improvements in communications technology have made the idea pretty much obsolete. Which is why SOAR crews don't seem to have a lot of trouble communicating with M134s going off occasionally. Other than that, the shit would be very heavy and extremely expensive to make something like that in any way approach a cost-effective venture.

I can't think of a special application in which I'd need a sound-suppressed minigun anyway. If you need a minigun, it's unlikely that you'll need to be very quiet about it.
Arethusa
I'm thinking less about noise (though, if you mounted one on a light vehicle as opposed to a helo, there might be some limited benefit there) and more about visual signature. I can't think of a lot of situations where the benefits would outweight the drawbacks, but I can think of a few where it might be viable. Communication and ear protection have certainly gotten better (as have suppressors (I'm pretty sure modern suppressors— especially a heavy duty, high volume one that would not need to worry as much about weight as a suppressor on a small arm— could handle many tens of thousands of rounds), but hell, still pretty damn hard to hear yourself think inside a Specter. Hardly something with lots of application, but I would hardly call it "totally crap" or "so flawed it hurts."
Raygun
As far as visual signature goes, most M134s have a flash suppressor built into them these days (the thing on this one). It doesn't totally negate muzzle flash, but it does tame it substantially. Honestly, there's not really any reason to go beyond that kind of thing when your objective is laying down fire so thick. In an aircraft, the aircraft is making plenty of noise on its own, and on the ground, you're either static or in a vehicle that's making noise (given, not as much as a minigun would), so it really doesn't matter much.
Arethusa
Yeah, true. I'm just a little reticent to say it has no viability whatsoever, as it seems possible very specialized situations could make such a system more than superfluous. I could very well be very wrong about that.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Raygun)
As far as visual signature goes, most M134s have a flash suppressor built into them these days (the thing on this one). It doesn't totally negate muzzle flash, but it does tame it substantially. Honestly, there's not really any reason to go beyond that kind of thing when your objective is laying down fire so thick. In an aircraft, the aircraft is making plenty of noise on its own, and on the ground, you're either static or in a vehicle that's making noise (given, not as much as a minigun would), so it really doesn't matter much.

Well, what if I want to have my own personal minigun laser engraved with the name, 'Whisperdeath?' That's really not going to work if I can't some way to make it silent, while keeping it deadly.
Critias
If a minigun fires in the woods, and no one survives to report that they heard something, does it make a sound?
Demosthenes
That depends.
Was it firing cased, or caseless ammo?
Critias
Yes.
Demosthenes
The Grifter
Maybe back in the day it would have been okay, but not now. We have a little something called soundproofing and insulation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012