Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Food is for the Weak!, Combining Fast and Nutrition
JaronK
post Apr 4 2005, 06:46 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,323

So... as far as I can tell, a spell caster with Force 2 Fast and Force 2 Nutrition can cast each spell once every 144 hours or so (assuming they cast with 12 dice), and never need to eat, without any penalty.

If a spellcaster was doing this, should their lifestyle costs go down?

Is there something preventing this?

JaronK
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Apr 4 2005, 06:55 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

Heh, Lina's already done this in my game. It's a potent combo...except that it's not really game breaking. I don't reduce the price of the lodgings tho...in my mind the price of lodging is more for security and location than the food.

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Apr 4 2005, 05:47 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,789

Yeah the yardstick the GM uses to whack players

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Apr 4 2005, 05:54 AM
Post #4

Running Target

QUOTE (lorthazar)
Yeah the yardstick the GM uses to whack players

Why? What's so game breaking about the combo? It's cheesy, yes...but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be allowed.

+Quote Post
lorthazar
post Apr 4 2005, 07:07 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,789

That was meant to imply there is nothing really to stop it unless the GM decides it isn't going to work.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Apr 4 2005, 07:09 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Heh. Gotcha.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Apr 4 2005, 06:48 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

It is a non issue for most characters remember if you maintain 4 lifestyles you don’t get a discount because you only eat food for one person so I wouldn’t give any discount.

The combination would have 2 significant effects.

The more common is that you can live a street lifestyle and your GM can’t say that the rotten pizza you fished out of the doomster gave you cramps resist 4M with unaugmented body (bad food poisoning)

The les conmen but somewhat more significant implication is the geasa abstinence from food. You may get the occasional sidewards glance when you always refuse to eat (our Johnson’s almost always feed us at the meet, often expensive meals) but in most circumstances those 2 spells will render the geasa about as restrictive as setting a item of cyber wear as your talisman. Although the monk with geasa abstinence alcohol, abstinence sex and abstinence food (likely taken in that order) is a much better concept than a character with 3 cyber wear talismans. I may actually play that monk one day, after starry night witch probably wouldn’t notice geasas of indulgence alcohol, indulgence sex and indulgence food.

Edward

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Apr 4 2005, 08:18 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

QUOTE (JaronK @ Apr 4 2005, 01:46 AM)

If a spellcaster was doing this, should their lifestyle costs go down?

The suprathyroid gland, which makes you eat more, increases your lifestyle cost.
Symbiotes, which make you eat more, increases your lifestyle cost.

Digestive Expansion bioware, which allows a character to eat free tree bark, reduces lifestyle cost.

So, by those examples, spells which allow you not to eat anything at all should reduce your lifestyle. There's no canonical rule for it, however.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post Apr 4 2005, 08:58 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

QUOTE (Capt. Dave)
The suprathyroid gland, which makes you eat more, increases your lifestyle cost.
Symbiotes, which make you eat more, increases your lifestyle cost.

These two alone can cause your lifestyle cots to triple. Fortunatly with the SSG you can break down the cost somewhat in food/ house/ area etc. so you know what parts to discount.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Apr 4 2005, 09:26 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 6,722

Purely from a roleplaying point of view, I would (as GM) start to introduce elements of strangeness to such a "manavore" character. Long-term substitution of magic for normal sustenance could have interesting side effects. I'm not saying I would exactly penalise a character for doing it, but I would certainly spice their life up a little.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Apr 4 2005, 12:15 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (DrJest)
Purely from a roleplaying point of view, I would (as GM) start to introduce elements of strangeness to such a "manavore" character. Long-term substitution of magic for normal sustenance could have interesting side effects. I'm not saying I would exactly penalise a character for doing it, but I would certainly spice their life up a little.

Yeah, the digestive tract can do interesting things when it's been completely empty for a while, then gets refilled. (Word to the wise: if you ever have to have your intestinal tract emptied prior to a medical procedure, do not make greasy foods like Long John Silvers' fried fish your first post-procedure meal.)

And you'd be rather vulnerable to alcohol without any stomach contents to slow down its spread into your system.

Hmm. Can anyone else think of some side effects of a long-term "manavore"?

+Quote Post
Aes
post Apr 4 2005, 01:38 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,971

With absolutely no renewal of the fat deposits, I imagine he'd look exceedingly gaunt after a while - possibly freakishly so. On the plus side, having no digestion means no stomach gas.

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Apr 4 2005, 12:34 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Wouldn't it be interesting if subsisting almost entirely on pure mana made the runner more... sensitive to the general weirdness of the world? Maybe catching a glimpse of a spirit out of the corner of their eye that's gone when they turn round... feeling background count as a physical sensation like nausea or stomach ache... nothing TN-worthy (necessarily - maybe it would be if you kept on going) but colour like that.

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Apr 4 2005, 02:09 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Aes @ Apr 4 2005, 01:38 PM)
With absolutely no renewal of the fat deposits, I imagine he'd look exceedingly gaunt after a while - possibly freakishly so.

I suspect that if the spells provide a healthy dose of nutrients, then fat would be included.

On the plus side, having no digestion means no stomach gas.

Aww. Stomach gas brings so much fun to life.

Maybe catching a glimpse of a spirit out of the corner of their eye that's gone when they turn round... feeling background count as a physical sensation like nausea or stomach ache... nothing TN-worthy (necessarily - maybe it would be if you kept on going) but colour like that.

That sounds cool, maybe enough to make up for the lack of burping. :)

+Quote Post
DrJest
post Apr 4 2005, 01:17 PM
Post #15

Running Target

I meant to address something like this in the book I'm writing (a modern fantasy) but I never really got the opening. The main character makes a passing comment about how most decently talented wizards could do without food, drink or even sleep by pure magic but don't because of the side effects. I'd intended to explain that removing oneself from the normal functions of humanity caused a slow but inevitable degeneration in their own inner humanity, eventually leading to sociopathy as they no longer identify with other humans - and a sociopathic wizard is A Bad Thing.

Whether this could be applied to SR is another matter, of course.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Apr 4 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

This sounds like a great combination of spells, particularly for SR groups that find themselves eating the paint off the walls in the Arcology, or deep in the forests of the Yucatan (but then again, there I suppose it's less about what you eat and more about what eats you).

My concerns:

Both spells are permanent. How do permanent spells show up in the astral after their casting time has passed? If the spell lasts 144 hours, surely there is some residual magical signature associated with it? Obviously, permanent spells don't function like actively sustained spells, but for such a long duration, I would imagine some kind of effect.

If my players did this, I could never coerce them to hit a Stuffer Shack before a run for munchables. Since so many of my plots revolve around Stuffer Shacks, this would be a game-breaker for me.

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post Apr 4 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,701

I mainly got these 2 combo for the primary reason so that I could travel to remote locations with minimal support (it's my char's long-term plans to make foci, and mineral/herbal from "remote locales" is a fairly common rare material). I don't use it as a substitute for real food and my char's lifestyles are high enough such that I'm not digging stuff out of garbage bins to begin with.

QUOTE (RangerJoe)
My concerns:

Both spells are permanent. How do permanent spells show up in the astral after their casting time has passed? If the spell lasts 144 hours, surely there is some residual magical signature associated with it? Obviously, permanent spells don't function like actively sustained spells, but for such a long duration, I would imagine some kind of effect.

If my players did this, I could never coerce them to hit a Stuffer Shack before a run for munchables. Since so many of my plots revolve around Stuffer Shacks, this would be a game-breaker for me.

By this logic, anyone who ever gets Healed or cured of Disease/Poison would have such a signature. Given how common these happen, I really don't buy it.

And there are other places to ambush players than just Stuffer Shacks; I can't see how this simple combo is so game-breaking.

QUOTE (JaronK)
So... as far as I can tell, a spell caster with Force 2 Fast and Force 2 Nutrition can cast each spell once every 144 hours or so (assuming they cast with 12 dice), and never need to eat, without any penalty.

Minor correction; the number of successes determine how long (1 succ = 12 hrs), but that number is limited to the force of the spell. So in your example, this spell caster would have to cast his spells once a day (just like a multi-vitamin :D). Personally, I took them to Force 4, mainly because I didn't want to waste the fact that Drain is a minimum of 2, regardless of the low force.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Apr 4 2005, 02:14 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

I made a sorcerer for a (short lived) game who had this trick. Then I rolled for SURGE, and got a dozen effects.

+Quote Post
kackling kactuar
post Apr 4 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,275

Er, why take two different spells when you can just snag a Force 2 Create Food?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 4 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (kackling kactuar)
Er, why take two different spells when you can just snag a Force 2 Create Food?

Because you'd still need Create Water to have things covered in certain situations, like being stuck in the desert. Personally, I prefer the Create Food/Water combo to the two Health spells for my PCs.

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Apr 4 2005, 10:35 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

@k.k. Because 2M is significantly easier to resist than 2S. Also, some (many?) GMs allow those 2 spells to be taken free - force 2 exclusive for cost.

This post has been edited by Da9iel: Apr 4 2005, 10:37 PM

+Quote Post
kackling kactuar
post Apr 4 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,275

Because you'd still need Create Water to have things covered in certain situations, like being stuck in the desert. Personally, I prefer the Create Food/Water combo to the two Health spells for my PCs.

Just create a popsicle and wait for it to melt!

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Apr 5 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (Da9iel)
@k.k. Because 2M is significantly easier to resist than 2S. Also, some (many?) GMs allow those 2 spells to be taken free - force 2 exclusive for cost.

Not me! A spell in my game must be taken at minimum adjusted power of 1 (I.E. Fetished Exclusive has to be minimum 4, etc.). This is, of course, a house rule...but I got that from my GM and it's worked fairly well for me.

To me, Create Food/Water would be massively more useful purely for the fact that it can be used to sustain others, not just yourself. Especially if you're forced to eat the paint off the walls in the Arcology...

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Apr 5 2005, 12:56 AM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (DocMortand)
(I.E. Fetished Exclusive has to be minimum 4, etc.)

You are aware that you can only use one limit on cost and/or one limit on drain for each spell?

+Quote Post
Da9iel
post Apr 5 2005, 02:16 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,367

@DocM Who says you can't cast nutrition and fast on others?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.