IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A lament for the passing of the Combat Pool.
blakkie
post Apr 5 2005, 05:44 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,263

NOTE: This thread is for mourners only, non-believers need not post. Please refrain from hurling hatred towards others, including those we don't actually know (SR4). The thread will be followed by a simple graveside service, after which everyone is invited over to my place for milk and cookies.

I see through the spin of FAQ #3, dice pools are no more and I am sad to see them go. Perhaps they will add in another combat mechanic that give the same asthetics as the satisfying feel of the Combat Pool. The other dice pools? Meh, bean counting fodder. But the Combat Pool provided the tactical flexibility to bring cunning mixed with bravado to bear in a fight. It helped spring into my mind cinematic visions of the battle unfolding before my character.

I shall miss you Combat Pool, so much so that the time spent with you now only feels as if a fleeting acquatince. :(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Apr 5 2005, 05:50 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

I'm still in mourning for the Dodge Pool, and Armed Pool, etc etc. This just makes me hate life ;)

I'll definately miss the extra thinking and risks created by the Combat Pool and the other pools. I really hope something reasonble takes it's place in SR4.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 5 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

:sleepy: Farewell CP. We hope your legacy will continue with "one generic tactical pool for improving your chances of success on any test." :sleepy:

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 5 2005, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

*sniff* I worked pretty darn hard to get my wife to agree to name our child Combat Pool, and now this. And Astral is such a good name for a girl too...

*looks mournfully at the gravesite*

Hey, what kinda cookies?

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Apr 5 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

All the things one wants to say, when it's all too late. Farewell, beloved combat pool. You were a good friend.

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Apr 5 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,638

QUOTE (nezumi)
*sniff* I worked pretty darn hard to get my wife to agree to name our child Combat Pool, and now this. And Astral is such a good name for a girl too...

Will you be changing her name legally to "One Generic Tactical Pool For Improving Your Chances Of Success On Any Test"?

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 6 2005, 03:07 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

Now and forever to be known as "OGTPFIYCOSOAT", or "OGTP" for short.

+Quote Post
Spookymonster
post Apr 6 2005, 12:18 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,638

QUOTE (Bigity)
I'll definately miss the extra thinking and risks created by the Combat Pool and the other pools. I really hope something reasonble takes it's place in SR4.

So, you'll be splitting your Mourning Pool dice between Grieving and Wishful Thinking?

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Apr 6 2005, 01:09 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

I'm alocating all of mine to wishful thinking, myself.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 6 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I like combat pool because it precisely quantifies your posture. None of this "But I said that I was walking carefully!" bullcrap.

+Quote Post
mintcar
post Apr 6 2005, 07:52 PM
Post #11

Karma Police

Member No.: 6,505

Combat is my favourite Pool. It represents everything I hope SR4 will be about. A simple, abstract mechanic with an endless amount of utilities, which can represent a lot of a character´s actions and choices without additional rules or effort.

I´ve lost the Combat Pool, and it´s sad. But I´m still looking forward to August. My hopes for the new system may be boardering on blind faith or denial, but I do have them.

+Quote Post
DragginSPADE
post Apr 11 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,119

Farewell Combat Pool. You will be missed, and the world is a sadder, simpler place for your absence.

+Quote Post
Phantom Runner
post Apr 11 2005, 03:48 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 2,548

I always have to tell the kids not to go into the Combat Pool until at least one hour after they eat...

+Quote Post
SirBedevere
post Apr 11 2005, 04:32 PM
Post #14

Knight Templar

Member No.: 6,424

Dear Combat Pool, we all shall miss you. We hope that you can enjoy happiness with all the other pools that have gone to The Great Universal Pool in the Sky. In memory of you I suggest all here throw two handfulls of d6's one last time :(

+Quote Post
psykotisk_overle...
post Apr 11 2005, 05:35 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,817

My twisted and perverted group will continue to make use of you oh CP. We'll never convert to 4th. We will dwell on the past and add a few dice from the trusty old combat pool whenever we feel the need for it.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 12 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #16

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Why!? Why did you take our beloved Combat Pool away from its family? We loved it! It wasn't used up. It had many tests left. Damn it we still had Combat Pool left! WHYYYYYYYYYYY!?!?!?!?!?!?

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 12 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Well, as much as I liked combat pool, I did have certain reservations about the Dodge Test due to unrealisticness. I couldn't get the mental image of Neo bending backwards at the knees and flailing his arms out of my head. So, maybe something good will come of this.

+Quote Post
TeOdio
post Apr 12 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,937

Farewell Combat Pool, though I love thee for your ability to give me 30 dice to roll, and your ability to keep my crap goon NPC's alive long after the players wished they should have goon away, I will not miss your ability to drag on combat rounds as each player manically calculates in their mind how much pool to use for each roll, whether the target would be easier to dodge or to soak, and how much they actually have left.
:nuyen: :nuyen: :nuyen:

+Quote Post
Fygg Nuuton
post Apr 12 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,989

TAKE ME INSTEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Cougaar
post Apr 13 2005, 09:00 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 7,199

Adieu, adieu.. parting is such sweet sorrow.

If you had not exsisted I would never have bought my special SR dice. I would have never heard their happy tinkling in their little tin home. Without you the world looks much bleaker.

Adieu, my friend. You will be missed but not forgotten.

Here is to hope that you've gone to let a new star shine on our roleplaying nights.

The merry meet, the merry part.
And the merry meet again.

+Quote Post
NightHaunter
post Apr 14 2005, 09:10 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,408

Bye.
You were unique.
Well apart from the other nine pools anyway. :D

+Quote Post
Jameson
post Apr 14 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #22

Target

Member No.: 7,332

*Throws self on Combat Pool's coffen* Why oh why?! :(

+Quote Post
SpeedFreak
post Apr 14 2005, 09:17 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 6,646

*A punkish figure, in a leather jacket with a go-gang symbol on it and mid back length blue hair in combat boots and urban fatigue pants walks by the casket. As he passes in a blur of motion his hand reches out and a singlerose falls upon the casket.*

+Quote Post
Brazila
post Apr 15 2005, 07:31 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,278

I remember the first night I meant old combat pool, he was sitting there looking all reserved but wise, and me being a newbie went all out with him. We splatted a few gangers that evening but in the end, I took a solid burst from an Uzi III and dropped. He taught me a valuable lessen that night, Burst fire is a simple action so hold back some for later. Oh how I will miss his wicked ways.

+Quote Post
ElFenrir
post Apr 15 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 7,337

While we mourn, think about how Intelligence, Quickness, and Willpower feel. Their child was just shed from its mortal coil.

Fare thee well, and sadly farewell to samurai who could actually think and withstand a mana bolt as well. :(

I'll never forget when that dodge test saved our merc's life from that missile.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:01 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.