Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Many Thanks to Patrick Goodman, for taking the time to do damage control
Lucyfersam
post Apr 12 2005, 08:02 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,137

I would just like to thank Patrick for going far beyond what is expected of him as a playtester to come to these boards and act as damage control, clarifying what is in the FAQs and answering what he can without breaking his NDA. Your posts have provided a great deal of insight into what we are getting into, and have calmed a lot of fears about the new system (for me at least).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 12 2005, 08:08 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

Great, send him a PM next time.

Less sucking-up in public forums please.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Apr 12 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #3

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

*blinks*

You have no idea how nice you just made an otherwise crappy day. Thank you.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Apr 12 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #4

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)

Yeah, but it doesn't have the same warm fuzzy feeling for me in a PM. :)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 12 2005, 08:11 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

yes. goodman has definitely help quell the fear and horror associated with a lot of the posted changes. much appreciated.

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Apr 12 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,185

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
*blinks*

You have no idea how nice you just made an otherwise crappy day. Thank you.

You know despite that bright spot or perhaps because of it this topic will be filled with lots of bile ;)

That being said it's definitely not easy trying to field questions while limited to what your NDA allows you to say when faced with pretty much unrelenting negativity. Honestly a big part of me would love for FanPro to put together a quickstart rulebook once the basic rules are a bit more firmed up than they appear at current.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 12 2005, 08:16 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Apr 12 2005, 03:08 PM)

Yeah, but it doesn't have the same warm fuzzy feeling for me in a PM. :)

I'll admit it's a pet peeve of mine. I just don't see that as the stuff of public scrutiny.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Apr 12 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Lucyfersam)
I would just like to thank Patrick

Sure, just ignore all the other playtesters who have been doing the same thing. ;)
Just because Patrick's got a blog going doesn't mean he's the only source of unoffical damage control. But you knew that already. It's just an oversight that I wanted to address.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 12 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I dunno, I appreciate Mr. Goodman for stepping up to confront and calm a frightened, bereaved mob. His balls are definitely bigger than mine.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Apr 12 2005, 08:28 PM
Post #10

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Lucyfersam @ Apr 12 2005, 03:02 PM)
I would just like to thank Patrick

Sure, just ignore all the other playtesters who have been doing the same thing. ;)
Just because Patrick's got a blog going doesn't mean he's the only source of unoffical damage control. But you knew that already. It's just an oversight that I wanted to address.

Others that I've seen in here doing damage control (now that my ego is recovering from the day's bruising here at work): Demonseed Elite, Bull, and Synner. Those are the ones I know about; I don't know everyone's screen name, so there might be others that I've missed or am forgetting. I think Adam Jury's actually on the design team as opposed to playtesting. I'm not even the most vocal about it; I think I'm just the one who sounds most (or perhaps least) like a cheerleader when I do it. :)

Paul's right, though; much as I appreciate the warm fuzzies, it's not just me.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Apr 12 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

Um... is what Bull is doing really damage control?

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Apr 12 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #12

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (Garland)

In its own fashion. It's at least relieving tension.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 12 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

He attempts to show you how absurd your fears are by exaggerating and parodying them.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 12 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I dunno, I appreciate Mr. Goodman for stepping up to confront and calm a frightened, bereaved mob. His balls are definitely bigger than mine.

Considering the anonymitty of the Internet what's there to be scared of? A nasty post? Someone flaming you? People being upset about changes to SR4? Bah.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Apr 12 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
QUOTE (Garland @ Apr 12 2005, 03:29 PM)

In its own fashion. It's at least relieving tension.

It seemed to be ratcheting up the tension with regards to some people. I recall a rather heated post about legitimate concerns being mocked.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 12 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 12 2005, 01:28 PM)
I dunno, I appreciate Mr. Goodman for stepping up to confront and calm a frightened, bereaved mob.  His balls are definitely bigger than mine.

Considering the anonymitty of the Internet what's there to be scared of? A nasty post? Someone flaming you? People being upset about changes to SR4? Bah.

Eh, I've known people to meet up for fights and such over the internet before. In most cases it's fallen through, but occasionally it has happened.

+Quote Post
RunnerPaul
post Apr 12 2005, 08:44 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 364

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Eh, I've known people to meet up for fights and such over the internet before.

Hell, there's the guy who auctions off ass-beatings on ebay. You bid on how much you want to pay him to kick your ass, and agree to buy him a round trip plane ticket from where he is to where you are, and he'll cheerfully lay the smack down upon you.

+Quote Post
StranD
post Apr 12 2005, 08:46 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 7,295

C'mon people,

Whether he gave props in public for the warm fuzzies or to point out the fact that our imaginations would be running far more rampant without someone to calm the storm doesn't matter.

It still comes down to "If people like Patrick Goodman, playtesters, and designers weren't around, there would be no SR." He's the only one who really has any idea what the end result will be, we don't, no matter bleak things look.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Apr 12 2005, 08:49 PM
Post #19

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Apr 12 2005, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 12 2005, 01:28 PM)
I dunno, I appreciate Mr. Goodman for stepping up to confront and calm a frightened, bereaved mob.  His balls are definitely bigger than mine.

I wasn't going to bring this tirade out, but you mentioned a very sore subject directly, and I'll answer it the same way. I intend nothing personal to you, Grinder; this is just a gripe I've had for some time (and many of the people who've known me and worked with me for a while know what's coming; you can go get popcorn now, you won't miss anything).

Of course, there's the fact that I don't hide behind the anonymity of the internet. My screen name is my real name; my profile really says where I am; my picture is really on my blog.

This can be a very ego-bruising kind of place, especially when you're like me and you put a lot of yourself into your work. It's one thing to receive legitimate criticism based on a work, but it's another thing entirely to get the kind of abuse the actual writers have been taking based on something that isn't out there for actual consideration yet.

I don't hide behind the internet, but I know a lot of people here that do. Most have legitimate reasons for using a screen name, even if that legitimate reason is "It's fun." A few, though, hide behind it, hold up the First Amendment, and say that they have a right to be offensive and obnoxious, and any request for them to be civil is greeted as censorship. They're cowards, unwilling to actually stand up behind what they've got to say, instead propping it up with their anonymity, since no one can possibly find them and read them the riot act.

We've bred civility out of the current crop of humanity, it seems. It's really kind of sad, too, but it's the way things are. What's there to be scared of? You might be surprised, Grinder. I've never received death threats about my writing...but I know a couple of folks who have. I've been insulted more times than I care to count; I can take personal insults, but I don't appreciate my mother being brought into it, as some have done. I've been told that I was the worst thing to ever happen to Shadowrun back when I wrote for Target: Matrix. Nothing major, to be sure, but there's a lot to be said for a kind word now and again.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Apr 12 2005, 08:51 PM
Post #20

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (StranD)
He's the only one who really has any idea what the end result will be, we don't, no matter bleak things look.

I have only slightly more idea what the end result is gonna be than you do, but that extra bit of focus does make me hopeful.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Apr 12 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)

I don't hide behind the internet, but I know a lot of people here that do. Most have legitimate reasons for using a screen name, even if that legitimate reason is "It's fun." A few, though, hide behind it, hold up the First Amendment, and say that they have a right to be offensive and obnoxious, and any request for them to be civil is greeted as censorship. They're cowards, unwilling to actually stand up behind what they've got to say, instead propping it up with their anonymity, since no one can possibly find them and read them the riot act.

We've bred civility out of the current crop of humanity, it seems. It's really kind of sad, too, but it's the way things are. What's there to be scared of? You might be surprised, Grinder. I've never received death threats about my writing...but I know a couple of folks who have. I've been insulted more times than I care to count; I can take personal insults, but I don't appreciate my mother being brought into it, as some have done. I've was told that I was the worst thing to ever happen to Shadowrun back when I wrote for Target: Matrix. Nothing major, to be sure, but there's a lot to be said for a kind word now and again.

Well, the way I see it, on the internet you can give it out as good as you got. I think, based on my observations on the internet in general, that enforced civility and moderation dosen't really accomplish much other than to effectively squelch some lines of discussion, thought, or questioning. One person's inappropriate flaming might be another person's pretty serious point of view.

That's why I hang out at bullshido.net. There is very light moderation. If someone wants a piece of you, they will hardly ever be moderated, but you can respond to them as energetically as you please.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Apr 12 2005, 09:26 PM
Post #22

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

I cannot speak for all posters, but I don't intend my criticsm of SR4 (or rather, what the fanbase is told) nor the conclusions I draw as a personal offense. My apologies if that came around as such. You're of course free to disagree with my assumptions and conclusions and correct me. Hell, I'm actually happy to be corrected (preferrably by some information about the game mechanic, but even just a "nonono, that's bullshit, I have played the rules and they're not like that" is fine). It's not like I'd like those conclusions actually come true, mind you.

I hope, though, you can understand the growing anxiety of a lot of the fans, too.

Anyway, I personally am glad for most that is posted by people who're slightly more in the know. Even if it's just tidbits.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 12 2005, 09:47 PM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

QUOTE (Garland)

Strategically increasing and redirecting damage is still controlling it :grinbig:
QUOTE (Garland)
It seemed to be ratcheting up the tension with regards to some people. I recall a rather heated post about legitimate concerns being mocked.

That was about the lame snipe of an April Fool's joke, not Bull's comments.

~J

+Quote Post
HeySparky
post Apr 12 2005, 09:50 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,658

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
...[snip]... someone wants a piece of you, they will hardly ever be moderated, but you can respond to them as energetically as you please.

EXCEPT...

When you're posting on a public forum representing a larger body of folks in an official or unofficial capacity because you are often not representing only yourself you CAN'T respond as enthusiastically as you might otherwise.

Most folks I know don't feel comfortable being jerks when they are representing a larger interest. Some do - and some do it really quite well and are endearing and have a certain amount of credibility for being 'straightforward'. :)

-----

I appreciate Patrick's efforts and know how hard it is to feed us little snippets while being muzzled, and how much he probably wants to give more, but can't because of the state of the development, because of what marketing FanPro might have planned (exclusives and whatnot for trade magazines and what not), because of his NDA.

It takes a pretty thick skin to see negative feedback day in and day out - especially when you're really working hard and are really excited about what you're doing - or when you actually agree with the negative feedback but aren't in a position to make or unmake changes.

A kind word does go a long way. Making the 4th ed of a game with a 20 year history has got to be rough... thanks for the updates, Patrick. And pass along thanks to the others too. Keep it up. And know that most of us bitch because we love the game so much. Though some of us are just jerks. :D

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 12 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
I've been insulted more times than I care to count; I can take personal insults, but I don't appreciate my mother being brought into it, as some have done. I've was told that I was the worst thing to ever happen to Shadowrun back when I wrote for Target: Matrix. Nothing major, to be sure, but there's a lot to be said for a kind word now and again.

It's the ego stroking that really bends me the wrong way Patrick. I mean, I don't know you from the next guy on DS aside from what you post. As long as I've played SR, I'm sure I've run acrossed your handiwork more times than I know.

The fact is, FanPro is providing us a product and it is in their best interest to deliver something that we want to buy. That means you and anyone else envloved with shaping the future of SR4 will be doing your best to produce something we will want. It's obvious to me that many are passionate about SR, either from being envolved directly (such as yourself) or being a player.

You've all got your jobs to do, whatever they may be, but I don't much care for the notion of singling out any one person and lauding them with kudos and exhaulting their good deeds. As humble as the recipient may be about it, I personally feel those types of comments are best handled either privately or with the specific intention of "Getting to know the people who made SR4 possible" type area/event/medium.

For whatever it's worth Patrick, I bitch and moan everytime some tool decides to post "who's your favorite Dumpshocker" so this is nothing personal.

/ramble off.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.