Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Many Thanks to Patrick Goodman
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Lucyfersam
I would just like to thank Patrick for going far beyond what is expected of him as a playtester to come to these boards and act as damage control, clarifying what is in the FAQs and answering what he can without breaking his NDA. Your posts have provided a great deal of insight into what we are getting into, and have calmed a lot of fears about the new system (for me at least).
GrinderTheTroll
Great, send him a PM next time.

Less sucking-up in public forums please.
Patrick Goodman
*blinks*

You have no idea how nice you just made an otherwise crappy day. Thank you.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)

Yeah, but it doesn't have the same warm fuzzy feeling for me in a PM. smile.gif
mfb
yes. goodman has definitely help quell the fear and horror associated with a lot of the posted changes. much appreciated.
Vuron
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
*blinks*

You have no idea how nice you just made an otherwise crappy day. Thank you.

You know despite that bright spot or perhaps because of it this topic will be filled with lots of bile wink.gif

That being said it's definitely not easy trying to field questions while limited to what your NDA allows you to say when faced with pretty much unrelenting negativity. Honestly a big part of me would love for FanPro to put together a quickstart rulebook once the basic rules are a bit more firmed up than they appear at current.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Apr 12 2005, 03:08 PM)

Yeah, but it doesn't have the same warm fuzzy feeling for me in a PM. smile.gif

I'll admit it's a pet peeve of mine. I just don't see that as the stuff of public scrutiny.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Lucyfersam)
I would just like to thank Patrick

Sure, just ignore all the other playtesters who have been doing the same thing. wink.gif
Just because Patrick's got a blog going doesn't mean he's the only source of unoffical damage control. But you knew that already. It's just an oversight that I wanted to address.
Wounded Ronin
I dunno, I appreciate Mr. Goodman for stepping up to confront and calm a frightened, bereaved mob. His balls are definitely bigger than mine.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (RunnerPaul)
QUOTE (Lucyfersam @ Apr 12 2005, 03:02 PM)
I would just like to thank Patrick

Sure, just ignore all the other playtesters who have been doing the same thing. wink.gif
Just because Patrick's got a blog going doesn't mean he's the only source of unoffical damage control. But you knew that already. It's just an oversight that I wanted to address.

Others that I've seen in here doing damage control (now that my ego is recovering from the day's bruising here at work): Demonseed Elite, Bull, and Synner. Those are the ones I know about; I don't know everyone's screen name, so there might be others that I've missed or am forgetting. I think Adam Jury's actually on the design team as opposed to playtesting. I'm not even the most vocal about it; I think I'm just the one who sounds most (or perhaps least) like a cheerleader when I do it. smile.gif

Paul's right, though; much as I appreciate the warm fuzzies, it's not just me.
Garland
Um... is what Bull is doing really damage control?
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Garland)

In its own fashion. It's at least relieving tension.
Wounded Ronin
He attempts to show you how absurd your fears are by exaggerating and parodying them.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I dunno, I appreciate Mr. Goodman for stepping up to confront and calm a frightened, bereaved mob. His balls are definitely bigger than mine.

Considering the anonymitty of the Internet what's there to be scared of? A nasty post? Someone flaming you? People being upset about changes to SR4? Bah.
Garland
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
QUOTE (Garland @ Apr 12 2005, 03:29 PM)

In its own fashion. It's at least relieving tension.

It seemed to be ratcheting up the tension with regards to some people. I recall a rather heated post about legitimate concerns being mocked.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 12 2005, 01:28 PM)
I dunno, I appreciate Mr. Goodman for stepping up to confront and calm a frightened, bereaved mob.  His balls are definitely bigger than mine.

Considering the anonymitty of the Internet what's there to be scared of? A nasty post? Someone flaming you? People being upset about changes to SR4? Bah.

Eh, I've known people to meet up for fights and such over the internet before. In most cases it's fallen through, but occasionally it has happened.
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
Eh, I've known people to meet up for fights and such over the internet before.

Hell, there's the guy who auctions off ass-beatings on ebay. You bid on how much you want to pay him to kick your ass, and agree to buy him a round trip plane ticket from where he is to where you are, and he'll cheerfully lay the smack down upon you.
StranD
C'mon people,

Whether he gave props in public for the warm fuzzies or to point out the fact that our imaginations would be running far more rampant without someone to calm the storm doesn't matter.

It still comes down to "If people like Patrick Goodman, playtesters, and designers weren't around, there would be no SR." He's the only one who really has any idea what the end result will be, we don't, no matter bleak things look.

Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ Apr 12 2005, 03:32 PM)
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Apr 12 2005, 01:28 PM)
I dunno, I appreciate Mr. Goodman for stepping up to confront and calm a frightened, bereaved mob.  His balls are definitely bigger than mine.

I wasn't going to bring this tirade out, but you mentioned a very sore subject directly, and I'll answer it the same way. I intend nothing personal to you, Grinder; this is just a gripe I've had for some time (and many of the people who've known me and worked with me for a while know what's coming; you can go get popcorn now, you won't miss anything).

Of course, there's the fact that I don't hide behind the anonymity of the internet. My screen name is my real name; my profile really says where I am; my picture is really on my blog.

This can be a very ego-bruising kind of place, especially when you're like me and you put a lot of yourself into your work. It's one thing to receive legitimate criticism based on a work, but it's another thing entirely to get the kind of abuse the actual writers have been taking based on something that isn't out there for actual consideration yet.

I don't hide behind the internet, but I know a lot of people here that do. Most have legitimate reasons for using a screen name, even if that legitimate reason is "It's fun." A few, though, hide behind it, hold up the First Amendment, and say that they have a right to be offensive and obnoxious, and any request for them to be civil is greeted as censorship. They're cowards, unwilling to actually stand up behind what they've got to say, instead propping it up with their anonymity, since no one can possibly find them and read them the riot act.

We've bred civility out of the current crop of humanity, it seems. It's really kind of sad, too, but it's the way things are. What's there to be scared of? You might be surprised, Grinder. I've never received death threats about my writing...but I know a couple of folks who have. I've been insulted more times than I care to count; I can take personal insults, but I don't appreciate my mother being brought into it, as some have done. I've been told that I was the worst thing to ever happen to Shadowrun back when I wrote for Target: Matrix. Nothing major, to be sure, but there's a lot to be said for a kind word now and again.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (StranD)
He's the only one who really has any idea what the end result will be, we don't, no matter bleak things look.

I have only slightly more idea what the end result is gonna be than you do, but that extra bit of focus does make me hopeful.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)

I don't hide behind the internet, but I know a lot of people here that do. Most have legitimate reasons for using a screen name, even if that legitimate reason is "It's fun." A few, though, hide behind it, hold up the First Amendment, and say that they have a right to be offensive and obnoxious, and any request for them to be civil is greeted as censorship. They're cowards, unwilling to actually stand up behind what they've got to say, instead propping it up with their anonymity, since no one can possibly find them and read them the riot act.

We've bred civility out of the current crop of humanity, it seems. It's really kind of sad, too, but it's the way things are. What's there to be scared of? You might be surprised, Grinder. I've never received death threats about my writing...but I know a couple of folks who have. I've been insulted more times than I care to count; I can take personal insults, but I don't appreciate my mother being brought into it, as some have done. I've was told that I was the worst thing to ever happen to Shadowrun back when I wrote for Target: Matrix. Nothing major, to be sure, but there's a lot to be said for a kind word now and again.

Well, the way I see it, on the internet you can give it out as good as you got. I think, based on my observations on the internet in general, that enforced civility and moderation dosen't really accomplish much other than to effectively squelch some lines of discussion, thought, or questioning. One person's inappropriate flaming might be another person's pretty serious point of view.

That's why I hang out at bullshido.net. There is very light moderation. If someone wants a piece of you, they will hardly ever be moderated, but you can respond to them as energetically as you please.
hermit
I cannot speak for all posters, but I don't intend my criticsm of SR4 (or rather, what the fanbase is told) nor the conclusions I draw as a personal offense. My apologies if that came around as such. You're of course free to disagree with my assumptions and conclusions and correct me. Hell, I'm actually happy to be corrected (preferrably by some information about the game mechanic, but even just a "nonono, that's bullshit, I have played the rules and they're not like that" is fine). It's not like I'd like those conclusions actually come true, mind you.

I hope, though, you can understand the growing anxiety of a lot of the fans, too.

Anyway, I personally am glad for most that is posted by people who're slightly more in the know. Even if it's just tidbits.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Garland)

Strategically increasing and redirecting damage is still controlling it grinbig.gif
QUOTE (Garland)
It seemed to be ratcheting up the tension with regards to some people. I recall a rather heated post about legitimate concerns being mocked.

That was about the lame snipe of an April Fool's joke, not Bull's comments.

~J
HeySparky
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
...[snip]... someone wants a piece of you, they will hardly ever be moderated, but you can respond to them as energetically as you please.

EXCEPT...

When you're posting on a public forum representing a larger body of folks in an official or unofficial capacity because you are often not representing only yourself you CAN'T respond as enthusiastically as you might otherwise.

Most folks I know don't feel comfortable being jerks when they are representing a larger interest. Some do - and some do it really quite well and are endearing and have a certain amount of credibility for being 'straightforward'. smile.gif

-----

I appreciate Patrick's efforts and know how hard it is to feed us little snippets while being muzzled, and how much he probably wants to give more, but can't because of the state of the development, because of what marketing FanPro might have planned (exclusives and whatnot for trade magazines and what not), because of his NDA.

It takes a pretty thick skin to see negative feedback day in and day out - especially when you're really working hard and are really excited about what you're doing - or when you actually agree with the negative feedback but aren't in a position to make or unmake changes.

A kind word does go a long way. Making the 4th ed of a game with a 20 year history has got to be rough... thanks for the updates, Patrick. And pass along thanks to the others too. Keep it up. And know that most of us bitch because we love the game so much. Though some of us are just jerks. biggrin.gif
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman)
I've been insulted more times than I care to count; I can take personal insults, but I don't appreciate my mother being brought into it, as some have done. I've was told that I was the worst thing to ever happen to Shadowrun back when I wrote for Target: Matrix. Nothing major, to be sure, but there's a lot to be said for a kind word now and again.

It's the ego stroking that really bends me the wrong way Patrick. I mean, I don't know you from the next guy on DS aside from what you post. As long as I've played SR, I'm sure I've run acrossed your handiwork more times than I know.

The fact is, FanPro is providing us a product and it is in their best interest to deliver something that we want to buy. That means you and anyone else envloved with shaping the future of SR4 will be doing your best to produce something we will want. It's obvious to me that many are passionate about SR, either from being envolved directly (such as yourself) or being a player.

You've all got your jobs to do, whatever they may be, but I don't much care for the notion of singling out any one person and lauding them with kudos and exhaulting their good deeds. As humble as the recipient may be about it, I personally feel those types of comments are best handled either privately or with the specific intention of "Getting to know the people who made SR4 possible" type area/event/medium.

For whatever it's worth Patrick, I bitch and moan everytime some tool decides to post "who's your favorite Dumpshocker" so this is nothing personal.

/ramble off.
mfb
he's not being thanked for working hard on SR4. he's being thanked for spilling as much as possible, giving as much context as possible to what's been spilled, and basically trying to keep people from self-destructing because THEY"RE RUUINING SHADOWRHUN.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (mfb)
he's not being thanked for working hard on SR4. he's being thanked for spilling as much as possible, giving as much context as possible to what's been spilled, and basically trying to keep people from self-destructing because THEY"RE RUUINING SHADOWRHUN.

And I appreciate the kudos, but I see Grinder's point, and I've also tried to point out that I'm not the only one doing this.
KnightRunner
Well I must say that SR4 makes me nervous, though I will not bother to delve into the reasons at this time.

However.... as I read Patricks bio and see his gaming history and experience is similar to mine, I feel comforted.

If he likes SR4 then I hold hope that I will too.

Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (KnightRunner)
However.... as I read Patricks bio and see his gaming history and experience is similar to mine, I feel comforted.

If he likes SR4 then I hold hope that I will too.

Which reminds me, I need to get off my dead ass and do some serious updating of things across the board, especially at Azziewatch.
mfb
true. if i were the type to put up threads in order to thank people for things, i'd name you, DE, and Synner, and probably some others after further reflection. but this is the thread that got put up, so... *shrug*
NightHaunter
I seemed to have misseed a discussion.
But the people I play with and I are gratful for anything provided as information.
We are now actually looking forward to 4th ed and whatever it may bring.
The worst I can say about whats been released is its different but different isn't the same as bad.
Thanx to all the playtesters.

P.S. Hope I don't offend too many peeps with my posts.
Critias
Though I find myself liking every revelation less and less, I do appreciate not only the debates/discussions taking place with developers and playesters here on DS, but the overall effort being put forth by the company as a whole (with the regular FAQ updates, etc, etc).

I mean, I'm not as thrilled about the whole thing as I was when all I knew was "SR4 is on the way," because I'm an SR3 machine, and there are an awful lot of changes being made to my favorite RPG mechanic ever. But I still appreciate their relative openness and willingness to communicate, etc, etc.
Grinder
Me too. I like the way the developers are coming around with the content of SR4, giving insight and answering some questions in advance. Much like RedBrick does with the ED Classic development - for me, these guys are the best when it comes to feedback and love to the game. smile.gif
Arethusa
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
For whatever it's worth Patrick, I bitch and moan everytime some tool decides to post "who's your favorite Dumpshocker" so this is nothing personal.

In all seriousness, as much as I hated that puerile shit, this is really not the same thing.
brightlight
Again, I agree with you Critias. Despite the DC happening on this forum, WizKids are handling press releases appallingly. First I though "great, they're fixing the god-awful matrix and rigging rules, but it'll be the same game", and now its gone to "this is WoD with a coat of SR on it, it's not the same game". I mean seriously, since when has "it still has 16 sample characters in the core rulebook been a similarity in the system?

The only reason damage control has to be done is because wizkids keep pouring fuel on the fire. Get a plan, release a sample rule set and don't go wagging tongues until you have a product to actually sell to your fanbase!
RunnerPaul
Or pick one aspect of the rules change that they feel comfortable talking about (i.e. one that's been through a couple of iterations of playtester feed back and they feel is pretty polished) and then focus on not just "what's changed" but also the philosophy behind that change.

The new Edge attribute, for instance. Since it's the heir apparent to Karma Pool, I'm sure that there's lots of interesting design philosophy underpinning it. However, all we really know is that it exists and sort of what it does, and that some of the playtesters think it's a cool mechanic.

Demonseed Elite
Yeah, I'm definitely in agreement that the dev blog isn't living up to what I'd hoped it'd be. Short little FAQ questions with two-line answers isn't really a dev blog by any stretch of the imagination. Like RunnerPaul just said, I'd much rather have seen a full entry (multiple paragraphs!) on the Edge attribute: what it is, how it works, and why it is in SR4.

Not only do I think that would be more favorable to the existing SR players, but I would think that would be more interesting to the people who don't play SR now but are considering it because of SR4. I mean, if they don't play it now, those two-line FAQ answers don't mean a whole helluva lot to them.
KnightRunner
What worries me most is that they have set a release deadline and have yet to work out some of the system. August may seem like a ways a way, but to assemble a book into publishable form and have a print ready when they are still working on content....... well all I have to say is good luck!
moosegod
I also am glad that Patrick is willing to put himself out on the line. I too would be frightened of talking to DS on such a subject as this. Perhaps it would of been a better PM. But that is irrelevant at this point. And I'm not sure Grinder chose the best words to express his opinion.

So, in short, thank you Mr. Goodman.
Vuron
QUOTE (KnightRunner)
What worries me most is that they have set a release deadline and have yet to work out some of the system. August may seem like a ways a way, but to assemble a book into publishable form and have a print ready when they are still working on content....... well all I have to say is good luck!

I too am somewhat concerned about what appears to be a very short release deadline given that to a certain degree some mechanics are still in flux. Personally I'd have to say that while the Gencon window is optimal for sales that I think that given the choice of a delayed product that is well edited and doesn't require much errata (a big rarity in gaming these days) vs an on-time product that has editting problems and needs lots of errata I'd prefer the release window to be delayed.

Yes I am really impatient to see the new edition but having waited for like a decade for CP203x I think I could stomach a delay for SR4.
Ellery
I think it's important that they make the Gencon release. If they're not doing this whole thing to boost sales, what are they doing it for? If they don't release it at Gencon and create a buzz there, they've missed a major opportunity.

So I think they should invite enough playtesters, and make them test enough different things, so that there won't be huge, embarassing gaps in the core rules and book. Freelancers and (some) hardcore fans are willing to put in a lot of their time to help SR4 get off to a good start--take advantage of that!
nezumi
Hmm... Building off people talking about how we're all free to say what we want on the Internet... Keep in mind, Patrick is not just representing himself when he speaks now. he's representing FanPro. I know he's not their PR guy, but since he's gotten involved with them as he has, his behavior DOES reflect back on the company.

So in that regard, he's not allowed to get down and dirty, slugging it out with us. Considering how nasty some posts have been, I think he's generally done a pretty good job at avoiding getting into a pissing contest with anyone, which would just result in some of us being a little more leery of SR4, the product he's helping to sell.

Keep up the customer service ; ) (my boss would be glad to know that's been so drilled into me I bring it up in forums. Well, that and she'd be upset that I'm posting in forums. So I guess it balances out.)
Demonseed Elite
Threads like this tend to make me nervous. I'm kinda glad Patrick was named in the thread more than I was. Because I can hide behind him and he can be the human shield. wink.gif

Because I think it attributes more to my posts than should be attributed to them. I'm a freelancer. I write stuff, FanPro buys it (hopefully!). I don't set the Shadowrun agenda, even if I sometimes wish I did, and I don't make the big decisions. I'm not doing damage control, at least I don't think of it that way. I'm just as concerned about the future of Shadowrun as anyone is, most likely, but I just approach SR4 news the same way I approach anything: with a very level-headed sense of caution. I'm not trying to paint a picture for anyone about how SR4 looks, I'm just trying to get people to see the picture that is already there in a different perspective.

If you guys here on DSF start to interpret all my posts as some sort of "official voice", then I will have to cut back my posting. Because then my words become responsible for other people besides myself. I don't want my words here to be seen as speaking for other people, whether it's other freelancers, FanPro, Shadowrun, or whatever. I'm not trying to do that, and I will have to make sure my posts in the future are clearer about that. I have no interest in being a representative, I post here as a player. And I like to exchange ideas: present my own ideas and hear what others have to say. It's that back-and-forth relationship that got me into writing and eventually into freelancing for Shadowrun. And I don't want to trade that in to become a mouthpiece for some group or object. But if all my posts are going to be seen as representing something larger than myself, I'll have to start taking that into heavy consideration when I write them, and I won't be able to express my ideas like I used to.

Sorry for the rambling, I just wanted to make that all clear.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Apr 21 2005, 09:05 AM)
Threads like this tend to make me nervous.  I'm kinda glad Patrick was named in the thread more than I was.  Because I can hide behind him and he can be the human shield.  wink.gif

I'm probably bigger than you, and can move you quite easily. smile.gif I'd rather not widow Tiffany before I even marry her. It wouldn't be good PR, don't ya know?
Because I think it attributes more to my posts than should be attributed to them.  I'm a freelancer.  I write stuff, FanPro buys it (hopefully!).  I don't set the Shadowrun agenda, even if I sometimes wish I did, and I don't make the big decisions.  I'm not doing damage control, at least I don't think of it that way.  I'm just as concerned about the future of Shadowrun as anyone is, most likely, but I just approach SR4 news the same way I approach anything: with a very level-headed sense of caution.  I'm not trying to paint a picture for anyone about how SR4 looks, I'm just trying to get people to see the picture that is already there in a different perspective.

If you guys here on DSF start to interpret all my posts as some sort of "official voice", then I will have to cut back my posting.  Because then my words become responsible for other people besides myself.  I don't want my words here to be seen as speaking for other people, whether it's other freelancers, FanPro, Shadowrun, or whatever.  I'm not trying to do that, and I will have to make sure my posts in the future are clearer about that.  I have no interest in being a representative, I post here as a player.  And I like to exchange ideas: present my own ideas and hear what others have to say.  It's that back-and-forth relationship that got me into writing and eventually into freelancing for Shadowrun.  And I don't want to trade that in to become a mouthpiece for some group or object.  But if all my posts are going to be seen as representing something larger than myself, I'll have to start taking that into heavy consideration when I write them, and I won't be able to express my ideas like I used to.

Sorry for the rambling, I just wanted to make that all clear.

What he said. I speak in no official capacity whatsoever, and a lot of what I say is just as much conjecture as what anybody else is saying.

I was dressed down by a friend, and looking back on it, rightfully so, for opening my yap about some things that turned out not to be particularly accurate. No, I'm not going to point them out. But I don't want someone to come back later and say, "Thus-and-so isn't how that no-good Texas-centric Azzie-hating so-and-so Goodman said it was going to be" because I said one thing and the game came out another way.

I'm not a company spokesman, I'm just a guy who wants to see this thing he's working on given a fair shake.
mfb
*snort* you can't die yet, goodman. you haven't even started your gun company yet, much less made enough money off of it to build a mension in which you will someday by mysteriously shot.
Patrick Goodman
Hmmmm...you have a point. You also managed to remind me that I need to dig out that outline and write that story. One more thing on the list of stuff to do....
Nikoli
That's a good point Patrick,
folks do need to keep in mind that playtesting a game is like beta testing software, anything and everything you see at that particular moment could at any time change radically before public release.
nezumi
Not to be anal retentive, but Patrick, I would highly recommend you stick something about your not being an official spokesperson either as a header for more of your messages, or in your sig. Irregardless as to whether you want to be or not, you will be viewed in that capacity, especially by people who don't know better (which occaisionally includes myself). Even if you warn people once or twice, they'll forget.

I will say honestly that my opinion of SR4 and of FanPro DOES change based on what YOU specifically say. Maybe that's wrong, but you're the most common face I see reporting on stuff. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 21 2005, 10:33 AM)
Not to be anal retentive, but Patrick, I would highly recommend you stick something about your not being an official spokesperson either as a header for more of your messages, or in your sig.

Better?
Irregardless....

{English Nazi}There's no such word. What you're looking for here is "Regardless."{/English Nazi}

Sorry; that one grates at me.
I will say honestly that my opinion of SR4 and of FanPro DOES change based on what YOU specifically say.  Maybe that's wrong, but you're the most common face I see reporting on stuff.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm flattered, I suppose. I try to put my best face forward whether I'm talking about SR4 or anything else here. I'd rather not influence your view of the company, since I'm just a freelancer, but I suppose that it's inevitable when I start talking about certain things I'm involved in.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 21 2005, 10:43 AM)
Irregardless....

{English Nazi}There's no such word. What you're looking for here is "Regardless."{/English Nazi}

Sorry; that one grates at me.

It's a valid construction of a word. Granted it means the exact opposite of what it was meant to say, but it's still not an incorrect prepending of a prefix.

~J
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012