IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sourcebook Questions, Trying to make sense of it all...
The Question
post Apr 15 2005, 05:48 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,166

I managed to pick up a job lot of Shadowrun sourcebooks oof eBay and I'm currently reading through them, trying to make sense of all the little titbits of information they contain. However, with some of them I need a little help, so I was hoping Dumpshockers can help me out! Ive got a couple of questions so far, and likely more to come. Heres my first batch...

I understand that a Horror was banished at Crater Lake, but whats with the levitating construction materials?

The Passion worshipping shamen I understand to be an Earthdawn reference, but why would knowing about them get you killed?

Am I right in thinking the Tir is one big Kaer? Im getting this idea from the hint of a "Great Ward" to the fact that all children are taught art and magical theory: art to identify Horror marked, the theory to create Earthdawn style adepts?

Why was Lofwyr invited to the Council of Princes?

Juan Atzcapotzalco, what the heck is he? Horror construct, cyber zombie or something else? And why go to all the trouble of keeping him alive?

Just what the heck is Roxborough turning into? I know in Earthdawn Verjigorm placed dragons in cocoons to transform them into Horrors, could this be a similar thing?

Why the controversy over Atzlan warrior orders?

Finally (for now ;) ) , the rumours about the spirits of Aztecs being kept "alive" for centuries via blood sacrifice, is this implying what I think its implying? That a Horror has been there for thousands of years and is being kept their through all the blood sacrifices?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Apr 15 2005, 05:57 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Some of those questions will be addressed in the next few books, though more questions will come up, I'm sure. ;)

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 15 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #3

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

On some of those, it would help to have a sourcebook/page reference to get a context of the situation.

Roxborough is turning into a de-differentiated blob of flesh with only his mind intact (supposedly) because of a failed Universal Omnitech experimental therapy. By now, I'd say the transformation process is mostly complete, and he has given up any chance of being cured of his condition. It is not likely to have anything to do with Horrors, but he is one mean SOB.

I'd imagine that Lowfyr was invited to the Council of Princes specifically to act as a check against Ehran, Oakforest, and Jenna Ni'Farra. Lugh Surehand promoted the idea, and got his yes-men to do the backing for it. If you think of the Council of Princes as a power struggle where the Elder Elves thought they had Lugh Surehand, their puppet High Prince, under their control, it makes sense (maybe).

Not sure why following a Passion would get you killed (there are only a handful of beings who would even know what the Passions were). There are several "Mad Passions", though, that will drive you absolutely batty, I guess.

I don't think the Tir is a Kaer at all. I'm not sure where you are getting that from. Page reference?

+Quote Post
The Question
post Apr 15 2005, 06:30 PM
Post #4

Target

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Not sure why following a Passion would get you killed (there are only a handful of beings who would even know what the Passions were).  There are several "Mad Passions", though, that will drive you absolutely batty, I guess.

I don't think the Tir is a Kaer at all.  I'm not sure where you are getting that from. Page reference?

Page 69, Tir Tairngire has a Shadowland post from Walker where he describes Shamen who follow Passions (with the capital P, which made me certain it was an Earthdawn reference rather than generic Love, Hate etc...). This post is then followed by one from Laughing Man (Harlequin) that insinuates rather bluntly that Walker is dead man. Wasn't sure why this would be the case...

Tir as a Kaer has several origins. Page 13 first brings up the "Great ward", and it even warrants a response from Harlequin. Page 69 (again) talks about even non-awakened being encouraged to dabble in magic, and page 68 talks about basic magical theory being taught in juniour school. Page 73 goes into detail about art being made compulsory at elementary, secondary and high school as well as the Art Education Act of 2041. Its not hard concrete evidence, but having every single citizen with artistic skills would certainly come in handy if you were trying to screen for Horror marked...

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Apr 15 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

Page 69, Tir Tairngire has a Shadowland post from Walker where he describes Shamen who follow Passions (with the capital P, which made me certain it was an Earthdawn reference rather than generic Love, Hate etc...). This post is then followed by one from Laughing Man (Harlequin) that insinuates rather bluntly that Walker is dead man. Wasn't sure why this would be the case...

I think that's more of a reference to the fact that Walker is hinting that he knows Fourth World knowledge, and that there are a number of people who would like to stop him from blabbing. It's not that following a Passion is fatal, it's that posting about it is.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 15 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #6

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Take a lot of Harley's posts with a grain of salt. The problem is figuring out which ones are actually serious. Harley himself deals with Passions ... well at least one. :D

[edit] And what DE said! [/edit]

+Quote Post
The Question
post Apr 15 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #7

Target

QUOTE (hahnsoo)
Roxborough is turning into a de-differentiated blob of flesh with only his mind intact (supposedly) because of a failed Universal Omnitech experimental therapy.  By now, I'd say the transformation process is mostly complete, and he has given up any chance of being cured of his condition.  It is not likely to have anything to do with Horrors, but he is one mean SOB.

Page 62-64 of Atzlan covers Roxborough. It all seems a little fishy to me, surely with all of the Big A's magical muscle they could fight the disease? Sticking someone in a tank like that just seems a little...mysterious. I guess everything else about Atzlan stinks of The Horrors so I'm getting the odours mixed up.

Whats really driving me on is the implication that he's no longer human...it seemed strange to me that this was emphasised when they go into such detail about how his body is redifferntiated. Then theres the stuff about his mind being different now, and the fact that his tank has been moved to South America. Tie that into the fact that he's telling people that they can soon meet him in the flesh again. That and a comment on AH's site about Verjigorms cocoons kind of got my brain firing off on this one...

Plus, the colour section of the book has a picture of Roxborough, and his head has gone all tentacley...

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 15 2005, 06:43 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

If Roxborough starts growing eyes all over, I'm nuking all of Central America and moving to Mars.

~J

+Quote Post
The Question
post Apr 15 2005, 06:47 PM
Post #9

Target

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
If Roxborough starts growing eyes all over, I'm nuking all of Central America and moving to Mars.

~J

Its just my suspicion, but its certainly an interesting way for the plot to run!

And to allay your need for a nuclear strike, from what I can make out Roxborough only has one eye...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 15 2005, 06:49 PM
Post #10

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

A one-eyed, tentacled head? He's becoming a beholder! :eek: :D

+Quote Post
The Question
post Apr 15 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #11

Target

QUOTE (Fortune)
A one-eyed, tentacled head? He's becoming a beholder! :eek: :D

So thats how their going to reveal Shadowrun D20 :D

+Quote Post
winterhawk11
post Apr 15 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 864

QUOTE (The Question)
Page 62-64 of Atzlan covers Roxborough.  It all seems a little fishy to me, surely with all of the Big A's magical muscle they could fight the disease?  Sticking someone in a tank like that just seems a little...mysterious.  I guess everything else about Atzlan stinks of The Horrors so I'm getting the odours mixed up.

There's some more info about Roxborough in the Dragon Heart trilogy--Alice grabs his mind and pulls it into her little corner of the Matrix for awhile, then decides the best way to punish him is to send him back and make him live in his "clockwork asylum," stuck in a tank and forced to spend his life in the Matrix. This is in punishment for his role in the Crash of '29 (which killed Alice and stranded her in the Matrix).

AFAIK Roxy's human (albeit blobby) and has nothing to do with Horrors, Lovecraftian things-that-man-was-not-meant-to-know, coccooned dragons, or anything else.

+Quote Post
The Question
post Apr 15 2005, 07:02 PM
Post #13

Target

QUOTE (winterhawk11)

AFAIK Roxy's human (albeit blobby) and has nothing to do with Horrors, Lovecraftian things-that-man-was-not-meant-to-know, coccooned dragons, or anything else.

Then how do you interpret him telling people that he will be able to meet them in the flesh? If he is just a mass of fat and tissue with a mind, how the heck is going to step out of the tank and have chats with his friends???

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 15 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #14

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (The Question)
Tir as a Kaer has several origins. Page 13 first brings up the "Great ward", and it even warrants a response from Harlequin. Page 69 (again) talks about even non-awakened being encouraged to dabble in magic, and page 68 talks about basic magical theory being taught in juniour school. Page 73 goes into detail about art being made compulsory at elementary, secondary and high school as well as the Art Education Act of 2041. Its not hard concrete evidence, but having every single citizen with artistic skills would certainly come in handy if you were trying to screen for Horror marked...

Which was what I thought of the first time I read through TT back in the day (I was playing in an active Earthdawn campaign at the time, which helped) -- but it could just as easily all be coincidental, or written off (luckily for those who are against the two game worlds being linked) as artsy-fartsy elven Mary Sue crap, too.

"They teach all their middle school boys interior design, too!"

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Apr 15 2005, 07:18 PM
Post #15

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

wow looks like I miss a lot in not reading the novels.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 15 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Damn, looks like I'm not needed.

+Quote Post
The Question
post Apr 15 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #17

Target

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Damn, looks like I'm not needed.

Theres still plenty that I need answers on AH, and I'd be honoured to see you debunk my wild theories!

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 15 2005, 07:28 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

AH, be patiant. I'm sure that System Crash (or whatever) will have plenty of info that will produce answers that need clarification and questions to link to earlier stuff.

+Quote Post
The Question
post Apr 15 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #19

Target

QUOTE (Pthgar)
AH, be patiant.  I'm sure that System Crash (or whatever) will have plenty of info that will produce answers that need clarification and questions to link to earlier stuff.

In the meantime, its a lot of fun to toss up crazy theories and see who comes closest to the truth...

+Quote Post
winterhawk11
post Apr 15 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (The Question)
Then how do you interpret him telling people that he will be able to meet them in the flesh?  If he is just a mass of fat and tissue with a mind, how the heck is going to step out of the tank and have chats with his friends???

Well...keeping in mind that it's been awhile since I read the Aztlan sourcebook and also that I don't remember how far apart Aztlan and the DH Trilogy were...he might have been referring to the fact that his big plot in the first part of the DHT was to have his mind transplanted into another human body (Ryan Mercury's, as it turned out). This plan could have been in the works for awhile behind the scenes before the DHT was published. That's just a guess, though--I don't have my books handy.

+Quote Post
The Question
post Apr 15 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #21

Target

QUOTE (winterhawk11)
Well...keeping in mind that it's been awhile since I read the Aztlan sourcebook and also that I don't remember how far apart Aztlan and the DH Trilogy were...he might have been referring to the fact that his big plot in the first part of the DHT was to have his mind transplanted into another human body (Ryan Mercury's, as it turned out). This plan could have been in the works for awhile behind the scenes before the DHT was published. That's just a guess, though--I don't have my books handy.

If it helps, Aztlan was published in 1995.

Mind you, that rationale would work. Roxborough says he will "meet them in the flesh again" but doesn't specify who's flesh...

But again, surely a cloned body, or some dupe from Aztlan itself, would serve the purpose?

+Quote Post
winterhawk11
post Apr 15 2005, 08:01 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (The Question)
If it helps, Aztlan was published in 1995.

Mind you, that rationale would work.  Roxborough says he will "meet them in the flesh again" but doesn't specify who's flesh...

But again, surely a cloned body, or some dupe from Aztlan itself, would serve the purpose?

Okay, 1995 would probably work, since the whole Dunkelzahn/Dragon Heart Trilogy thing started in late '97 and it had to be in the works long before that.

Without the books handy I can't remember why Roxborough wanted Ryan Mercury specifically instead of a clone or some random Aztlaner schmuck (though maybe the disease he had made cloning him impossible). Maybe he wanted a really good body... :)

+Quote Post
Vuron
post Apr 15 2005, 08:51 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,185

QUOTE (The Question)

I've always assumed that Lofwyr provided a bunch of the funding to the IE conspiracy during the formative days of TT. So he might've used his cash to manuver assets that the Tir would later need to successful secede from the Salish-Sidhe Council. That and I would assume that he might've provided conventional weaponry for the Tir forces when they were fighting the CFS.

I always assumed he got a council seat as Quid Pro Quo for services rendered although conservative elements of the council continually moved to prevent TT from being a corporate vassal state to SK.

Of course given the record Alamais had with the IEs back in the 4th age I'm kinda wondering why the Elves and Lofwyr would work together and if it was more of a temporary alliance to counterbalance the might of other players.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Apr 15 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

[/QUOTE]
QUOTE (TheQuestion)
I understand that a Horror was banished at Crater Lake, but whats with the levitating construction materials?

Old Theran ruins, or possibly a remnant of Mu.

QUOTE (TheQuestion)
The Passion worshipping shamen I understand to be an Earthdawn reference, but why would knowing about them get you killed?

IEs and GDs keeping the 4th World a secret.

QUOTE (TheQuestion)
Am I right in thinking the Tir is one big Kaer?  Im getting this idea from the hint of a "Great Ward" to the fact that all children are taught art and magical theory: art to identify Horror marked, the theory to create Earthdawn style adepts?

As a long term goal, the artisan test and Great Ward would help toward preparing he Tir for the next Scourge. However, the Great Ward might simply have been a desire to keep up with the Jones' Veil.

QUOTE (TheQuestion)

Because Lugh needed to throw some weight around, and Lofwyr threw some weight around.

QUOTE (TheQuestion)
Juan Atzcapotzalco, what the heck is he?  Horror construct, cyber zombie or something else?  And why go to all the trouble of keeping him alive?

Opinions vary, from Juannie being a drake feathered serpent to being a Horror construct, depending on whom you think is really behind Aztlan. They keep him alive as the Huey Tlatooti, the head honcho manipulating mana for the whole thing...the cult is the company is the country, as they say.

QUOTE (TheQuestion)
Just what the heck is Roxborough turning into?  I know in Earthdawn Verjigorm placed dragons in cocoons to transform them into Horrors, could this be a similar thing?

Roxy suffered a rare genetic condition which caused his tissue to differentiate...muscle tissue might spontaneously decide to become liver tissue, for example, or bone or neural matter, etc. An experimental treatment place him in a vat where his various bits and pieces could receive proper nutrition while hopefully stopping the changes...and that's where he's been stuck for the last few decades. He's not actually becoming anything.

QUOTE (TheQuestion)
Why the controversy over Atzlan warrior orders?

Mimicing of Tir na nOg's own orders, initiated warrior societies, rumors of blood sacrifices and ritual cannibalism, y'know. The usual.

QUOTE (TheQuestion)
Finally (for now ;) ) , the rumours about the spirits of Aztecs being kept "alive" for centuries via blood sacrifice, is this implying what I think its implying?  That a Horror has been there for thousands of years and is being kept their through all the blood sacrifices?

It is possible, perhaps e'en likely, a Horror has been maintaining itself via Aztechnology, but it wouldn't need to have been sustained for thousands of years with blood rites...Har'lea'quinn was just admitting the possibility that a spirit could be maintained that way.

QUOTE (Wnterhawk11)
Without the books handy I can't remember why Roxborough wanted Ryan Mercury specifically instead of a clone or some random Aztlaner schmuck (though maybe the disease he had made cloning him impossible). Maybe he wanted a really good body...

Roxy liked the idea of being a powerful, virile physad. A clone wouldn't work...it would be susceptible to the same condition Roxy has.

Roxy's going a bit funny in the head, something to do with being hooked into the matrix 24-7-365 for years on end and having tendrils of brain tissue grow out from the weirdest body parts.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 15 2005, 09:21 PM
Post #25

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

What counts as a "mirror" with regard to revealing Bone Crown the Usurper? Will reflective windows do it?

~J

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:27 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.