IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Demo, des mots, des maux, Great god Dev, please listen to us !
What about a demo to judge SR4 system ?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 110
Guests cannot vote 
chevalier_neon
post Apr 21 2005, 12:34 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,341

So, after having read all the threads here, something came to my mind...
Instead of flaming without knowing what will really be in SR4, I think it would be quiet useful to get a demo of SR4... WW did it with VtR and WtF (each time a 5 part demo, with basic rules, and a mini-scenario)... If this could be the case, SR4 would really look like WW (com'on, flame me baby ;) )

By the way, please, great dev team, send us a sign that you haven't forgotten us on this earth, and post the part five of the FAQ, even if to do so, you have to slay a bloody path through these hardcore geeks who are complaining all the time !

So, any comments ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ankh-le-fixer
post Apr 21 2005, 12:45 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 6,074

QUOTE (chevalier_neon)
Instead of flaming without knowing what will really be in SR4, I think it would be quiet useful to get a demo of SR4... WW did it with VtR and WtF (each time a 5 part demo, with basic rules, and a mini-scenario)... If this could be the case, SR4 would really look like WW (com'on, flame me baby ;) )

By the way, please, great dev team, send us a sign that you haven't forgotten us on this earth, and post the part five of the FAQ, even if to do so, you have to slay a bloody path through these hardcore geeks who are complaining all the time !

So, any comments ?

a SR4 demo would be great!
and i really agree with you about the treatment the "hardcore geeks who are complaining all the time!" deserve -> force them to eat all their SR3 sourcebooks until saying i will play SR4 ;)

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Apr 21 2005, 01:43 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

Well, I don't need all that much cellulose in my diet.....

I am in favor of a demo. Since I won't be attending the big release at the Con I would love to see local commandos or playtesters run a scenario at a store or something.

+Quote Post
chevalier_neon
post Apr 21 2005, 01:54 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
Well, I don't need all that much cellulose in my diet.....

Well, let's just say the sourcebooks containing rules for SR3, as the ones with background will still be useful if I haven't misunderstood the first part of the FAQ...

Furthermore, it would be a good way to get a lot of comments on the new system (instead of hazy suppositions), which could lead to the amendment/correction of the possible flaws of SR4 (even maybe before the printing).

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Apr 21 2005, 02:37 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,960

I have the uneasy feeling that the system won't even be ready for a public demo until sometime in july so I guess I could just wait another month.

+Quote Post
chevalier_neon
post Apr 21 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

I think you are right Solstice, but I was more speaking of the eventuality of a demo rather than a demo right now !
I know than when WW did that, the transition was much easier for the players...

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 21 2005, 03:29 PM
Post #7

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Then again, I'm guessing a good chunk of the system is done already. If perhaps combat, but not matrix is done, we could just see that. I know the devs don't want to show say initiative and say 'this is not in concrete', but with stuff like that, they can stick to the SR3 methods.

I would like to see something like that on the forums, so we can properly tear it to pieces. It could go a long way to settling complaints. But it's not something I demand, and I bow to the devs' judgement if they decide it would not be in our or their best interest.

+Quote Post
chevalier_neon
post Apr 21 2005, 03:53 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

By the way, I thought that the dev team was realeasing once a week a part of the FAQ about SR4...
Have they forgotten us ?
Pleaseeeeeee, I NEED this part in order to sleep tonight...

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Apr 21 2005, 03:53 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

A demo would satisfy fans for a couple(?) of months before the game system came out. It'd also take away a designer's time that could be spent working on the game system that will be used for years after release. I'd rather see FanPro folks spend that time tweaking a rule example or catching typos than working on a demo.

+Quote Post
mr0b1tsc
post Apr 21 2005, 03:56 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 7,254

I would like to see a demo. :D

+Quote Post
chevalier_neon
post Apr 21 2005, 03:59 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (the_dunner)
A demo would satisfy fans for a couple(?) of months before the game system came out. It'd also take away a designer's time that could be spent working on the game system that will be used for years after release. I'd rather see FanPro folks spend that time tweaking a rule example or catching typos than working on a demo.

You're right Dunner, I didn't consider this aspect...
Don't they have a spring intern to do such a thing ? ;)

+Quote Post
Garland
post Apr 21 2005, 04:21 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

I'm sure they could find a volunteer to do this...

+Quote Post
chevalier_neon
post Apr 21 2005, 04:27 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

IMO, the main problem is not to find a volunteer, but to have the job done pretty well...
The WW demo was composed of 5 parts (each of them had someting like 20 pages in pdf), a summary of the basic rules, the mood, a few artwork... It's a hard job, which has to be done serioulsy...
But I really would like to see something like that happening with SR4.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 21 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (chevalier_neon)

So, any comments ?

LOL. Honestly, the last thing the dev-team is going to do is pass SR4 over to "us" for some sort of approval or final judgement. So many varied points of view the results would be useless and picking "a representative" wouldn't be very representative of the diverse mix here on DS.

Although I'll admit, the notion of a demo would help fill my curiosities, I doubt it would sway me either way. A demo would probably only appeal to a small group and even further filtered by geography, as I seriously doubt they'd take the demo, "on the road".

It's their task to create a product we want to buy, I think the forums here provide plenty of feedback (or comic relief). Our "judgement" will be if we decide to buy more than core SR4.

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Apr 21 2005, 04:38 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

A demo would be cool - but risky for them sales wise.

A lot of peeps will buy the book and check it out. If they don't like it, it goes into the pile of other books they didn't like and sits. But it is still a sale.

If the have a demo, then they could judge it before hand, decide they don't like it and not buy it. Where as they would have if they didn't see the demo.

They'd be better off with a couple teaser flyers like they did back for SR1. I still have mine, they were pretty cool.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 21 2005, 04:48 PM
Post #16

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Eldritch)
A lot of peeps will buy the book and check it out. If they don't like it, it goes into the pile of other books they didn't like and sits. But it is still a sale.

But there would also be people who don't plan to buy the game, see the demo, and decide it's better than they were expecting and buy it after all.
It's just a question of which there will be more of.

Personally, I'd hope they're banking on having a good game, not a piece of crap that they have to hide from people in order to trick them into buying it.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Apr 21 2005, 06:11 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

I was tinking of a live demo at a games store, not a release of rules, etc.

Some playtesters could run through a scenario with explanations of changes and Q&A afterwards. That kind of thing.

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post Apr 21 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (Jrayjoker)
I was tinking of a live demo at a games store, not a release of rules, etc.

Some playtesters could run through a scenario with explanations of changes and Q&A afterwards. That kind of thing.

Not that it's vanished, but considering how easy it is to buy books online, I think the role of the "game shop" is changing from what it used to be. I don't know how effective something like that would be.

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Apr 21 2005, 06:59 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

But there would also be people who don't plan to buy the game, see the demo, and decide it's better than they were expecting and buy it after all.
It's just a question of which there will be more of.

Agreed.

I have missed the blog this week as well, but I think the comment someone made about stiopping the blog becuase 'everytime you lift the lid off of this a little more, the more it stinks' - or something like that, may have offended the Powers that Be.

+Quote Post
chevalier_neon
post Apr 21 2005, 07:13 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Noooooooo... let's sacrifice these blasphemers to the Powers that Be !

I really hope that the dev team won't stop just because of a few rantings... A lot of people don't even want to write in these threads because of the dishonesty of some people (I hope that SR4 will be great, but with what we know, we can't be sure of anything, as not enough has been said about the new system ; maybe it will be great, maybe it will be shitty, but I will wait to see it before judging).

A demo would be a good occasion to disclose a few information about the system... In example, you couldn't say with VtR demo how the rules would be, but you knew that you would have a fix TN, you knew how to use disciplines (with a few examples of them), you knew how to run a combat... And this was great, because even if you knew that it was just an overview of the rules, and that they would be more complex, you could have a grasp on the new system...

That's my point of view...
But remember, I might be wrong (even if I will never admit it ;) )

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post Apr 21 2005, 07:24 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

You're right - we don't know if it'll be good or not.

But they've released enought to make a lot of us nervous....

A demo would aliveate some, and enrage others. It'll just make us more educated on the subject ;)

+Quote Post
chevalier_neon
post Apr 21 2005, 07:47 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

You're perfectly right... But to some extent, the SR4 core book will also please some (sorry I don't understand "aliveate" as english is not my native language) and enrage others, but it will be...
And I don't think that the fact of having a demo would make the dev team change their plans (the system will be fix TN, no more pools...) but, on some minor points, there might be a few details that they didn't consider and which could need some fixing or at least some explanations... That's why I would like to see a demo...

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 21 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #23

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Or less educated. As they've pointed out before, a lot of stuff is still subject to change. Should we all come away acting like Initiative System A is the one that'll be used, when the book ends up being printed with Initiative System B, well we'll feel rather silly.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Apr 21 2005, 07:55 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

As I've said since, well, the first time someone asked: more extensive preview material will be released closer to the book's release date, as is standard in the industry.

+Quote Post
chevalier_neon
post Apr 21 2005, 07:57 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Sincerely, i can't believe that so many things can change... We are end of april, the release is in august, which mens that everything will be sent for printing in july... So no more than 3 months left... It's pretty sure that a lot of things have always been decided (and I really do hope so !)...
They advised us about SR4 a few weeks ago, but it's been months they were working on it (please confirm ;) )...
So I am pretty sure that all the "stone" (core might be a better word) of the system is already written... Don't you think ?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.