IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nano-biomonitor systems, why the extra essence?
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 21 2005, 02:50 PM
Post #1

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,715

Nano-biomonitor systems (M&M pg. 91) do all sorts of great things to you using nanites. They also include a Nanite Hive. Check. Why do they cost more essence than a nanite hive? What else is in there? The nanites themselves don't cause essence loss, 'cause nanites don't do that. So if they're accomplishing everything via nanites, I don't see why it costs more essence than just a hive. What else is in there that justifies the extra .3 or .5 essence? And why the heck are they more availible than a nanite hive!?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 21 2005, 03:02 PM
Post #2

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

Probably a cybernetic medical expert system.

EDIT: It includes a Biomonitor and a Diagnosis Processor, which costs a total of 0.5 essence. The reason for the smaller availability TN (more availability) is probably because medical nanites are fairly commonplace throughout industrialized nations.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Apr 21 2005, 03:09 PM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

nanite are dumb. It comes from being that small, not enough space for a big computer. Most applications of nanite don’t have a problem with this, condition x action y. a full biomoniter system needs more options so you include a central processing system that communicates actions to the nanites.

Otherwise known as what hahnsoo said

Edward

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 21 2005, 05:04 PM
Post #4

Okay, next question: How do they stabilize a deadly wound? If you take a deadly wound, 10 boxes, then you lose 100% of your active nanites, which the hive will only replace at a rate of 5% per day. It should be 5 days before the nanites even regain reduced effectiveness, right?
It seems obvious that these are some kind of special exception to that rule, but I don't see it stated anywhere. How many wounds can I take before I've lost too many for these apparently special nanties to keep functioning.
(many wounds can happen in a few days time if you have a mage around to keep patching you up)

ref: M&M pg 91, 99-100

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post Apr 21 2005, 05:15 PM
Post #5

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,014

You only lose 5% of your nanites per box of damage. This means you only lose 50% at deadly damage.

Also, it's one of the few nanoware systems that doesn't suffer from reduced effect from losing 50% or more of its full rating.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 21 2005, 05:17 PM
Post #6

I knew I missed something.
*puts on dunce cap*
I'll go sit in the corner and re-read my books now.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:19 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.