IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ambidexterity for Adept, Spurs or unarmed?
weblife
post Apr 30 2005, 11:49 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,318

I'm abit in doubt on how this works.

You pay Essence for cyberware. Making it, in effect and description, part of yourself. More than just metal bits.

But this leads to questions.

A single cyberspur does STR(M). A pair deals STR*1,5(M). Regardless of whether the user is ambidextrous.

If you are ambidextrous you take your skill and multiply the number of dice by 1,5.

Cyber-implants and shock gloves are both on the list of secondary weapons in the CC. But fists are not.

A Morning Star, +2 Reach STR+2(M), is mentioned as a Primary weapon, using the WHP skill. A normal Whip is on the secondary list, opening up the interesting combo of Morning Star in one hand and a Whip in the other, for single skill goodness.

All this speculation rests on the assumption the Adept has atleast the 6 point ambidexterity, to avoid buying an off-hand skill.

Questions:

1. If the Adept buys Killing Hands at Serious or Deadly, will his cyberspurs deal more damage? - They are paid for with Essence.

2. Adept fights unarmed, but is ambidextrous, does he get 1,5 times his unarmed combat skill?

3. You can use all sorts of flailing weapons as primary hand, and some in the secondary hand. Would you allow the Monowire Whip?

4. Close Combat, from the MA styles in CC, allows the Adept to avoid the opponents reach bonus, at a -1 to Power. How do you feel MA impact your game? - We have not used it before.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Apr 30 2005, 11:54 PM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

1. No

2. No

3. Yes

4. They work fine for me. I wish Maneuvers were included for all melee skills.

+Quote Post
weblife
post Apr 30 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

2. No

Are you sure about that? - If the Adept slips on a pair of Shock Gloves, then he gets the skill bonus. Aswell as an additional 7S Stun to the enemy, pr. hit. :eek:

Surely the barehanded Adept isn't getting the shaft on ambidexterity?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post May 1 2005, 12:07 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (weblife)
2. No

Are you sure about that? - If the Adept slips on a pair of Shock Gloves, then he gets the skill bonus. Aswell as an additional 7S Stun to the enemy, pr. hit. :eek:

Surely the barehanded Adept isn't getting the shaft on ambidexterity?

From the official FAQ ...

QUOTE (Shadowrun FAQ)
Question: Do the rules for two-weapon combat apply if I'm wearing a pair of shock gloves?

Response: Nice try, but no.

As for unarmed attacks, it is assumed that the melee combatant is already using his entire body ... hands, feet, even head. Therefore Ambidexterity doesn't help.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 1 2005, 12:13 AM
Post #5

Guests

Why should they? You can't hit someone with more Strength than you possess no matter how many limbs you use.

And if you look more closely, only the primary weapon's Damage Code is used, not Damage Code * 1.5 (CC, p.96).

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post May 1 2005, 12:28 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

True, but SR3 Specifically says that Cyber-Implant weapons only get a bonus to power from using two, as well.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but somehow having two sets of spurs instead of 1 will let you rip up an armored drone that you can't penetrate with one spur. It's only really nonsensical when combined with CC's ambidexterity rules, however.

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post May 1 2005, 01:29 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,093

The Ambidexterity rules do not apply when using two Cyber-Implant Weapons. You can use one as a secondary weapon, but not as a primary, so you do not get the *1.5 skill dice for using two of them. The increased power is for (as far as I know) being able to use both of hands to slash/peirce/whatever at once, icreasing your chance of doing damage if you're actually able to land some blows on the other guy, the increase in power doesn't come from hitting harder, just being able to hit in two places at once (or something, weak rationalization, but it works out well enough)

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post May 1 2005, 01:48 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

Canon Companion: Page 96, first paragraph:

Any weapon listed under primary or secondary may be used as a primary weapon.

You can't use primaries as secondaries, but you can use secondaries as primaries.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 1 2005, 02:56 AM
Post #9

Guests

I'd just like to see a cite to the rules in CC, or post-CC, that allow you to increase power by 1.5.

+Quote Post
Sharaloth
post May 1 2005, 03:08 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,093

I missed that.

Well, in that case screw it all. *1.5 skill for the ambidexterous then, no power boost.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post May 1 2005, 03:43 AM
Post #11

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
I'd just like to see a cite to the rules in CC, or post-CC, that allow you to increase power by 1.5.

I've been wondering about that myself. I haven't noticed a change specifically for it , but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I kind of hope it is changed though, because otherwise I have a troll that can do 30+ base with his spurs. yeah, I haven't played him for a while now. What's the point!? The ambidexterity makes more sense, because , as noted above, he can tear a lynx apart. And that ain't right.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post May 1 2005, 04:05 AM
Post #12

Immoral Elf

This is the answer I got from Rob when I asked about this ...

QUOTE (Rob Boyle)
Question: Quik Rik has a Strength of 6, a Cyber-implant Weaponry/Hand Razors skill of 5/7, and Razors on each hand.

Now, the text in SR3 (pg. 121) states that when in melee using his Razors he would add half his Strength Attribute (rounded down) to the power of his attack (without having to purchase Off-Hand Razor skill). Cannon Companion (pg. 96) states that the benefits of fighting in melee with 2 weapons is that the character rolls all of his primary weapon skill dice, and rolls 1/2 his skill level dice with the secondary weapon (razors in this case are both primary and secondary). An ambidexterity of 6 means that the character doesn't need an Off-Hand Weapon skill (in melee). Since neither of these rules contradict the other, would Quik Rik roll 10 dice for skill, plus 7 dice from his Combat Pool (as I don't believe he gets to add more Combat Pool dice than his base skill), in an attack with the power of 9L?

Response: You got it right.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post May 1 2005, 04:07 AM
Post #13

Uncle Fisty

So with the example of my amped up troll, str 20, spur spec 10, he would inflict base 30M, w/ 15 dice?

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post May 1 2005, 04:09 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,963

I don't know what you're asking it for. Are you saying "Unless this rule is reprinted after the CC rules, it obviously does not apply"? In that case, I have to ask you to get your head checked. Or are you saying "I have never seen that rule before"? In that case, your wish is my command.

QUOTE (Pg 121 @ SR3)

While they get no bonus on the test to succeed, they do get a bonus to damage(if they are able to inflict any).  Characters using two cyberimplant melee weapons get to add 1/2 their Strength Attribute, rounded down, to the power of their attack

+Quote Post
Fortune
post May 1 2005, 04:24 AM
Post #15

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
So with the example of my amped up troll, str 20, spur spec 10, he would inflict base 30M, w/ 15 dice?

Yep, and that's without Combat Pool.

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post May 1 2005, 04:30 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

Thats Why Ambidextrous Spur Adepts are sick. Just remember to stir well with focus.......

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post May 1 2005, 04:30 AM
Post #17

Uncle Fisty

Scary thought. Good thing he's 'retired' to playing urban brawl. That sounds way too strong though.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post May 1 2005, 04:33 AM
Post #18

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc)
Thats Why Ambidextrous Spur Adepts are sick. Just remember to stir well with focus.......

And Dikote™! ;)

+Quote Post
Shockwave_IIc
post May 1 2005, 04:42 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 5,499

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Shockwave_IIc @ May 1 2005, 02:30 PM)

And Dikote™! ;)

Damn!! Always forget the garnish!!

+Quote Post
Smiley
post May 1 2005, 04:50 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

{EDIT} Copied and pasted the wrong text. How embarassing.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 1 2005, 07:16 AM
Post #21

Guests

QUOTE (Modesitt)
I don't know what you're asking it for.  Are you saying "Unless this rule is reprinted after the CC rules, it obviously does not apply"?  In that case, I have to ask you to get your head checked.  Or are you saying "I have never seen that rule before"?  In that case, your wish is my command.

I love when people make shit up out of thin air to act superior to others.

I was asking out of a genuine interest in knowing.

It's times like this when I hate you all by tacitly approving of this bullshit by tolerating the spreading of this rudeness and filth in the first place.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post May 1 2005, 07:28 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

I 'got it clarified' a couple of years ago in response to a request/debate here on Dumpshock.

I think the rules are quite clear. Nothing in the C.C. wording supercedes any rule in the SR3 book concerning the use of cyber-implant weaponry in melee. The Ambidexterity Edge rules are an addition to the normal rules, not a replacement. Since there are no restrictions in the rules for any weapon other than their classification as primary or secondary (or not applicable), the rules of the Edge apply across the board to all armed combat weapons in melee, including implanted ones.

[edit] You edited, but I'll let my post stand as is. [/edit]

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 1 2005, 07:30 AM
Post #23

Guests

Good for you.

At this point my only concern is that someone tried to verbally kick my in the nuts for no reason, and the last time it happened I had posted deleted, which is bullshit.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post May 1 2005, 07:36 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
It's times like this when I hate you all by tacitly approving of this bullshit by tolerating the spreading of this rudeness and filth in the first place.

Speaking of rudeness and bullshit...

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 1 2005, 07:41 AM
Post #25

Guests

Yes?

Hate is not implicitly rude. Hate burns too hot to be rude.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:54 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.