Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question about Sins
Swing Kid
post May 2 2005, 02:37 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,266

If in character generation I wish my Face character to have several "legal" SINs, what exactly do I need, specifically, to buy/considder.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post May 2 2005, 02:38 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,690

I cover this by having the player purchase fake credsticks. I think they're :nuyen: 4000 x Rating.

+Quote Post
Adam
post May 2 2005, 02:41 AM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Fake SINs are also covered in more detail in Sprawl Survival Guide.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post May 2 2005, 02:44 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

The cost and availability changes. Availability equals rating and the cost changes thusly:

Rt. 1-4 is rating x rating x 1000 w/ base time of 24hrs
Rt. 5-8 is rating x 5000 w/ a base time of 72 hours
Rt. 9-12 is rating x 10000 w/ a base time of 14 days
Rt. 13+ is rating x 50000 w/ a base time of 30 days

All street indexes are 1.

+Quote Post
Swing Kid
post May 2 2005, 03:08 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

So, all I need is to buy the Credsticks to have the SEPARATE ID's? So I can have one for Mike Jones the Executive, one for John Smith who is a Security analysist? I will get complete backgrounds that will show up in the system?

If so...Yeah!!!!

If not...then how do I get complete alternate lives?

+Quote Post
Smiley
post May 2 2005, 03:19 AM
Post #6

Running Target

That's the way we play it. Of course, the better the SIN, the better the phony history.

+Quote Post
Sandoval Smith
post May 2 2005, 03:20 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 6,690

If you want to prove electronically that someone exists, that's covered with the credstick. The better the rating, the more comprehensive the background information that was created to flesh out the extra identity, thus the better chance it has of withstanding scrutiny.

You're also not 'buying' a credstick per se, you're paying to have someone create a background for you, represented by the information in the stick.

+Quote Post
Swing Kid
post May 2 2005, 03:33 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Will the information carried on that credstick show up in goverment systems? I don't necessarily mean when scanning my stick, but rather will the profile show up on systems like NCIC or public records?

+Quote Post
Adam
post May 2 2005, 03:40 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

Part of creating a fake credstick is inserting such records into databases; thus, the expense -- it takes a hot decker to have access to all the systems necessary to generate a high quality fake ID.

+Quote Post
Kaosaur
post May 2 2005, 05:00 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 7,335

Halt SINners!!!

(Has anyone else noticed that the Japanese cut of this movie is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the regular one?)

+Quote Post
Edward
post May 2 2005, 07:48 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

A fake cred stick comes with the entire history inserted everywhere it should be. A high rating fake credstick may include entries in databases for the department of social services, the electoral commission, the DMV, foreign country visa applications, credit histories, corporate purchasing histories, magazine subscriptions.

The deckers that make the ID insert all these records for you. And it looks reasonably legit at rating 6 (remember starting characters can’t have better)

But the original question was for multiple LEGAL SINs. This is almost imposable because the law is one SIN per person. Corporations and government agencies have the ability to create new SINs but only do so for special occasions, hiding a defector, witness relocation programs. Usually when you get this it is because your old SIN is no longer usable (for safety reasons) occasionally a really special run will get you a “legitimate” SIN as payment but you should only be able to get that threw game play not at char gen.

Edward

+Quote Post
Swing Kid
post May 2 2005, 12:32 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Good point, I meant SINs that will identify my character as a legal entity.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post May 2 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #13

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I would say the first step is talk with your GMs. SINs aren't covered as completely as some might like, and much of the information is shuffled away into corners like the SSG. Your GM likely has his own ideas on how SINs and fake IDs work, and if you go blowing tens of thousands of nuyen on a fake ID only to realize it's superfluous or unusable, well...

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 2 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

There is a perfectly legal way of buying yourself a SIN, that I recall. And it is a real one, as opposed to those quasi-legal ones issued to Witness Protection Program and CIA defectors.

+Quote Post
Edward
post May 2 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

QUOTE (toturi)
There is a perfectly legal way of buying yourself a SIN, that I recall. And it is a real one, as opposed to those quasi-legal ones issued to Witness Protection Program and CIA defectors.

Details man.

One of the complications of multiple SINs is criminal investigations. Your SIN data includes your fingerprints (as this is a primary way of proving your identity for a transaction authorisation). If you have 5 sins all with the same finger prints then the first time you leave a fingerprint at a crime seen the cops will search the database, come back with 5 matches and send a squad car (or nastier if you show any evidence of being the blasty sort) to every address listed on each of your SINs. If they don’t find you or the addresses are in Z zones then they will flag all your accounts (those related to your sins anyway, you’re certified is still good) and any time you access a system with a sin related cred stick you will be asked to go to the local police station to clarify a system error. At witch point you will be thrown in jail for quite some time. The charges are several counts of fraud and whatever haponed at the crime seen with your fingerprints (this may include the violent robbery of the stuffier shack half an hour after you purchased a snack).

This is one that is often ignored in game play but I still have not come up with a way to avoid it.

Edward

+Quote Post
Prospero
post May 3 2005, 01:07 AM
Post #16

Illuminate of the New Dawn

Member No.: 4,700

In the past, for ease of play, I've basically said that this kind of stuff just doesn't happen (at least with decent rating fake SINs). The person who makes the SIN can "fudge" your fingerprint enough that it wont exactly cross-check with any other ones you have on file. It's a cheesy way out, but you have to keep up the semi-believability/playability of characters somehow.

+Quote Post
Swing Kid
post May 3 2005, 01:13 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (nezumi)
I would say the first step is talk with your GMs. SINs aren't covered as completely as some might like, and much of the information is shuffled away into corners like the SSG. Your GM likely has his own ideas on how SINs and fake IDs work, and if you go blowing tens of thousands of nuyen on a fake ID only to realize it's superfluous or unusable, well...

Actually, I am the GM for our campaign. We just only recently ran into situations where it mattered. The question came up, and I wasn't actually sure. I knew that the credsticks could carry false information (that much I got from the books), but the part I wasn't sure on was the information found in public and government records. Basically, my concern was that a fake credstick might not be the same as a fake SIN.

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 3 2005, 01:46 AM
Post #18

Canon Companion

QUOTE (Edward @ May 3 2005, 12:10 AM)
Details man.

Edward

Pueblo Corp Council. SINs going at 100 :nuyen: each. Go wild.

+Quote Post
Swing Kid
post May 3 2005, 02:01 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

I'll take three please.

And a coke

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 3 2005, 02:06 AM
Post #20

Guests

QUOTE (Prospero @ May 2 2005, 06:07 PM)
In the past, for ease of play, I've basically said that this kind of stuff just doesn't happen (at least with decent rating fake SINs). The person who makes the SIN can "fudge" your fingerprint enough that it wont exactly cross-check with any other ones you have on file. It's a cheesy way out, but you have to keep up the semi-believability/playability of characters somehow.

Actually, it's pretty believable with only a minor amount of suspension of disbelief. Since fingerprint matches rely on matching a certain number of points (and god bless 'em, each state has its own threshold number of points from 5 to 16+), if you focus the point matches of different aspects of your real fingerprint and then alter points which would be on the other records (which would entail the person creating the record to have access to them all, or some anyway), then depending on the circumstances the computer might hit one ID and stop (if there's a match, why keep trying, right?) and leave the rest unchecked.

Then the game becomes one of determining which ID got hit. A rule of thumb would be to say it was the lowest rating SIN, but then what if you have 3 rating 5 SINs? GM fiat is sometimes your friend.

DNA matching OTOH would probably be stretching it. But it's not impossible, just very difficult.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post May 3 2005, 02:25 AM
Post #21

Running Target

QUOTE (toturi)
QUOTE (Edward @ May 3 2005, 12:10 AM)
Details man.

Edward

Pueblo Corp Council. SINs going at 100 :nuyen: each. Go wild.

I'm intrigued. More details or page numbers?

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 3 2005, 02:46 AM
Post #22

Canon Companion

SONA p195.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post May 3 2005, 02:52 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Gracias.

+Quote Post
Thomas
post May 3 2005, 12:03 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,070

As an aside:
I had a character that earned a few extra nuyen by using faked credsticks to make purchases/payments under various identities, for his fixer, to add a credible 'trail' to them.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 4 2005, 12:08 AM
Post #25

Guests

And so when the cops pull the surveillance feeds off a purchase linked to a SIN they get him instead of the real fake SINner? Genius.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:18 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.