IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hacking Follies, Oooh...that's gotta smart.
DocMortand
post May 2 2005, 10:27 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,734

Some of you may have seen this.

Story of a Wannabe Hacker

*wince* It's from mid-April I believe. Any of you deckers out there have a similar story of woe from your Matrix runs?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
LinaInverse
post May 2 2005, 10:38 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,701

Was that Bun-Bun at work...? :D

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post May 2 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Bun-Bun (my NPC decker) would be the guy who gave the wanna-be his own IP...sounds like his style.

Is it possible to do that sort of defense in the Matrix rules? A Mirror IC that has two parts - a trace program, then when it locks on a big bad nasty that transmits any damage to it to the decker...and it's attacks hurt as well :) Owch.

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 3 2005, 12:00 AM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

that's not really a defense, so much as it is telling a stupid person "go fuck yourself" and actually convincing them to do it. think of your ip address (123.456.789.000) as your full name, and the loopback address (127.0.0.1) as the word "me". if you have some kind of 1337 h4xx0r program that deletes the HDD of any system whose ip you put in, what you're basically doing is saying "1337 h4xx0r program, please delete everything on the computer owned by DocMortand." and if you replace "DocMortand" with "me"...

the only Matrix equivalent would be having some n00b run an attack program with his own icon as the target.

+Quote Post
Thomas
post May 3 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,070

"I pull out my black hammer and start bashing my icon in the head..."
<snicker>

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post May 3 2005, 12:17 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Heh I'm aware of what happened, and the basics on IPs. I'm just curious if it is possible to create IC that will mimic that response - you attack it and you take damage from your own attack...

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post May 3 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #7

Running Target

QUOTE (Thomas)
"I pull out my black hammer and start bashing my icon in the head..."
<snicker>

Rule of one's, Baby! hehe.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post May 3 2005, 12:58 AM
Post #8

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

i guess this is one of the things to avoid by using a matrix like system, to target the persons system he would just aim the utility at the persons icon.

allso, who the hell is so dumb as to ask for a persons ip? do a dns lookup. that is unless the person is so smart as to hide behind a proxy or similar in a diffrent contry somewhere. but unless your going to a cracker irc channel/server, thats not very likely...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:34 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.