Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Helios Chronicles, Chapter 3
HMHVV Hunter
post May 4 2005, 04:47 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,840

Here's Story 3 of my Shadowrun fan fiction. Once again, it's veeeeery lengthy (14 1/2 pages in Word).

If you read it, please leave some feedback.

[ Spoiler ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post May 4 2005, 09:49 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

Pretty good. I could visualize the battle scenes, altho I'm not sure just how Helios got to the catwalk - I must have missed something there.

The only other problem I had was describing the Giant as a troll metavariant - that's using game terminology instead of just saying he was the largest troll you've ever seen, with certain changes you weren't familiar with...that sort of thing. Describe the differences between him and a normal troll rather than just explain "he's a metavariant".

Keep it up - I'm thoroughly entertained by the Chronicles so far.

[edit] reread the section describing how he got the catawalk and I can see where some of the confusion lies. While he is taking the stairs two at at time (and I would think there would be a LOT of stairs to get to the catwalk) he's picking off ghouls on the catwalk. The geography of the location gets a bit confused in the wording - you might want to run through just how Helios has a shot at the ghouls either directly above him or along a catwalk he hasn't arrived at yet...or *say* he arrives and the confusion he finds upon arrival at that level. Like - how high is the catwalk? Did he feel dizzy climb up that high so quickly? In his acrobatics did he come close to the edge? That sort of thing - it's an added sense of peril which can make the combat more exciting if done well.

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post May 4 2005, 03:55 PM
Post #3

Running Target

I always thought the metavariants were referred to as those names (giants, minotaurs, etc) in the SR world.

As far as the catwalk thing, this is what I had in mind (since I can't draw an ASCII map):

-Stairs (the foot of the staircase lying right in the middle of the warehouse, braced to the ground by supports).
-These stairs lead up to the catwalks usually seen in warehouses.

My original idea was to have him walking up the stairs, but the ghouls would still be visible over the railing at the height he was at.

Now that I think about it though, a ladder might have been more accurate. I might change that later on.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post May 4 2005, 05:01 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

The hunter is right. Giants look much more like double-tall humans than any other type of troll, and minotaurs have the wide set steer horns. Metahuman and metavariant are in character terms, even if they may not be used by some segments of the population.

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post May 5 2005, 04:43 AM
Post #5

Running Target

okay...then my point is - is Helios the type of person who would use those terms often?

+Quote Post
HMHVV Hunter
post May 5 2005, 06:25 AM
Post #6

Running Target

I'm not sure. It's not really a detail I've paid much attention to. I just assumed it was what was commonly used.

+Quote Post
amadeus
post May 5 2005, 07:11 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 7,323

Great story so far Hunter, i really like it. Especially describing the "big gun" before having Yamato tell you what it is, it shows how Helios has some knowledge of guns, but doesn't recongize stuff in a instant.

Great job, and keep it comming...

amadeus

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post May 5 2005, 06:50 PM
Post #8

Running Target

*nod* Again, I say it's a good story, and I'm definately looking forward to the next chapter.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:55 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.