IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Technomancers, hate or love
What do yo think of technomancers
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 165
Guests cannot vote 
audun
post May 5 2005, 02:05 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 381

:cyber:
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 5 2005, 02:19 AM
Post #2

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Where's the option that says: "We know *nothing* about them yet, other than they are grown-up Otaku and *possibly* work in a similar way, so how can you possibly tell?"

Oh, right. "mustardball" it is. :P

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 5 2005, 02:19 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i voted "mustardball" because i've got very mixed feelings. i like otaku, but i really don't like the term "technomancers". i also dislike the rumor that's cropped up about technomancers being able to access the Matrix solely with the power of their brains. brains that are transformed to mimic computers are believable; brains that are transformed to mimic walkie-talkies are not.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 5 2005, 02:22 AM
Post #4

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Well keep in mind that Otaku are written with the exact same flavor text, and they still require *some* equipment to function. I don't think it's too much a strech to suggest that they still need the wireless comm device; they just don't need whatever the 2070 equivalent of the MPCP, persona programs, operational utilities, etc.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post May 5 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,960

These terms they are coming up with are so childish and cliche I'm going to go vomit my mustardballs into the toilet.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post May 5 2005, 03:16 AM
Post #6

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

QUOTE (mfb)
I also dislike the rumor that's cropped up about technomancers being able to access the Matrix solely with the power of their brains.

Thats not a rumor.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 5 2005, 03:25 AM
Post #7

Guests

QUOTE (Shadow @ May 4 2005, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (mfb @ May 4 2005, 06:19 PM)
I also dislike the rumor that's cropped up about technomancers being able to access the Matrix solely with the power of their brains.

Thats not a rumor.

No, it's complete BS. Let's use MY$TIC's actual translation, shall we?

"Technomancer" - the grown-up children of the Matrix - are able to manipulate the wireless world with the power of their mind alone.

(emphasis mine).

There's nothing in there about them accessing the Matrix "solely with the power of their brains."

+Quote Post
Kaosaur
post May 5 2005, 03:37 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 7,335

Is SR pulling pages from Mage all of a sudden? What the heck?

+Quote Post
Little Bill
post May 5 2005, 03:41 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 3,307

QUOTE (Solstice)
These terms they are coming up with are so childish and cliche I'm going to go vomit my mustardballs into the toilet.

1st edition Shadowrun, Page 34 (the Decker Archetype):
"'Technomancer, that's what I am..."
Page 36 (Elf Decker Archetype):
"'I am a technomancer...'"

Can't blame Fanpro for coming up with "Technomancer" - it was in the original book in 1989.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 5 2005, 03:56 AM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

Somehow it seems less cliché for a plain old-fashioned hardware-using decker to use the term than a quasi-mystical entity capable of accessing the neo-internet without a computer.

~J

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 5 2005, 04:03 AM
Post #11

Guests

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 4 2005, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 4 2005, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (mfb @ May 4 2005, 06:19 PM)

Thats not a rumor.

No, it's complete BS. Let's use MY$TIC's actual translation, shall we?

"Technomancer" - the grown-up children of the Matrix - are able to manipulate the wireless world with the power of their mind alone.

(emphasis mine).

There's nothing in there about them accessing the Matrix "solely with the power of their brains."

I should amend this by saying that it is just as much an assumption that they don't as it is that datajacks exist in 4e or anything else. It just doesn't make any logical sense for them to access the Matrix directly from their brains. Manipulate... Sure. They do that now. Access OTOH is insane. I would sooner accept that they were magical, which is equally batshit crazy.

+Quote Post
Charon
post May 5 2005, 04:55 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 7,087

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
It just doesn't make any logical sense for them to access the Matrix directly from their brains. Manipulate... Sure. They do that now. Access OTOH is insane. I would sooner accept that they were magical, which is equally batshit crazy.

They probably still use some kind of interface.

But that being said, brain activity is just electrical impulse, with wave lenght and everything. Just like a computer. It's probably not that hard to come up with some kind of justification that makes just as much sense as any number of SR convention. If it turns out the new breed of otaku can interface with the matrix by picking up signals like a satellite dish does, I for one won't get bugged down in figuring out how it can be possible. It would be the least of SR's supernatural features.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 5 2005, 04:58 AM
Post #13

Guests

wrhfbs dz lk, ;, ... Sorry, my brain just melted.

The saddest part is that by SR logic, and SR dev logic, that is a perfectly feasible explanation for such dreck.

This post has been edited by Crimsondude 2.0: May 5 2005, 05:20 AM

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 5 2005, 05:09 AM
Post #14

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Technomancer... new Lumiere PC coming to a SR game near you!

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 5 2005, 05:48 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

even if you assume that otaku brains have somehow gained the ability to detect light, you still have the problem of getting them to emit light, Charon. that means turning a brain into a lightbulb. i hope you see some of the problems inherent in that.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 5 2005, 05:49 AM
Post #16

Guests

Silence, heathen!

You and your... facts... and... logic sicken me!

I mean, sure, so they can interpret RF (from microwave to whatever else) that reaches their brains (You think they get more tumors than normal people then?), but mfb makes a major point: How do they emit the RF back to the receivers?

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 5 2005, 05:50 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

you'll never get me to renounce my communist ways!

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 5 2005, 05:52 AM
Post #18

Guests

n/m.

Bad example.

+Quote Post
hahnsoo
post May 5 2005, 05:55 AM
Post #19

Mr. Johnson

Member No.: 7,014

Even otaku now need an ASIST converter to access the Matrix. It makes sense that they would also need a Commlink (or whatever) to access the Wireless Matrix. Neural activity isn't an electrical-only impulse, anyway... it's a combination of chemical receptors and electrochemical reactions.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 5 2005, 05:59 AM
Post #20

Guests

Yet another nail in that coffin.

+Quote Post
Bandwidthoracle
post May 5 2005, 06:00 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,672

No adult otaku!
Make em be kids, and to access matrix 2 they need a data jack with a wifi card plugged into it.

+Quote Post
Critias
post May 5 2005, 06:46 AM
Post #22

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (mfb)
even if you assume that otaku brains have somehow gained the ability to detect light, you still have the problem of getting them to emit light, Charon. that means turning a brain into a lightbulb. i hope you see some of the problems inherent in that.

It will make their bulbous craniums full of soft, vital, brain matter all that much easier to pop a hollow point into during the dark of night. I see no problems with your idea. None at all.

+Quote Post
Edward
post May 5 2005, 06:55 AM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

I say they should need as much hardware as otaku do. If that is the case then they will be fine.

If they don’t need some form of transmitter (just like the otaku needed a data jack, a custom data jack with a raz override in fact) then it will be bad, I can cope however with long nerve chains acting as an antenna, transmitting and receiving RF signals.

If they use a magic attribute and are shown to be truly magical (as in they interact with the mana sphere) it will be all bad as that will be the end of the tech/magic dichotomy. Using the magic attribute purely as a mechanical device for them would not be a bad thing, just confusing.

Edward

+Quote Post
blakkie
post May 5 2005, 06:55 AM
Post #24

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

They are Otaku. What's not to hate? Time to break out the Herring Cannon! :P

Well I suppose that as the Otaku grow up the concept of them grows up too. Maybe they even become a viable type, dare we say class, of PC? *shrug* If the Otaku manage to overcome the "fade" that opens up the possibilities of redefining how they work. So they can be redesigned as PCs instead of the NPCs they originally were.

Maybe i'm connecting too many dots, i haven't seen anyone pick up on the one item that really struck me. Am i out to lunch, or does that article seem to imply indirectly that now that the Otaku grew up some of them are going to have their driver's license? :eek:

I know they talked about blurring the decker/rigger line. This fluff bit seems to further confirm that. But an Otaku as a rigger somehow didn't occur to me before. It further fuels the question what differentiates between "hackers" that are matrix centric, drone centric, security system/device centric, and vehicle centric. Just Skills and possibily Attributes? Or will there be 'ware (even for otaku) that will help them specialize?

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 5 2005, 08:04 AM
Post #25

Guests

QUOTE (Edward)
If they don’t need some form of transmitter (just like the otaku needed a data jack, a custom data jack with a raz override in fact) then it will be bad, I can cope however with long nerve chains acting as an antenna, transmitting and receiving RF signals.

How can you accept that? That doesn't even make sense.

If they use a magic attribute and are shown to be truly magical (as in they interact with the mana sphere) it will be all bad as that will be the end of the tech/magic dichotomy.

If they turn out to be magical, which I see no reason for them to become on top of the fact that I think it's a horribly stupid idea, then they have bigger problems than can be cured by handwaving that kind of nonsense to allow Technomancers to access the Matrix without any hardware.

As for the adult Otaku... Well, gee, it sucks being right all the time, but that was kind of the whole point of the Dissonance. Blame mfb, but he suggested some ideas that once I read Threats 2 (after SOTA64) seem to be pretty obvious to be coming to a head down the line. The line ends at System Failure, and nothing so far has surprised me. Whether it's good or bad is not for me to decide until I read the book, but the signs have been there.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 08:53 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.