Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
audun
cyber.gif
Eyeless Blond
Where's the option that says: "We know *nothing* about them yet, other than they are grown-up Otaku and *possibly* work in a similar way, so how can you possibly tell?"

Oh, right. "mustardball" it is. nyahnyah.gif
mfb
i voted "mustardball" because i've got very mixed feelings. i like otaku, but i really don't like the term "technomancers". i also dislike the rumor that's cropped up about technomancers being able to access the Matrix solely with the power of their brains. brains that are transformed to mimic computers are believable; brains that are transformed to mimic walkie-talkies are not.
Eyeless Blond
Well keep in mind that Otaku are written with the exact same flavor text, and they still require *some* equipment to function. I don't think it's too much a strech to suggest that they still need the wireless comm device; they just don't need whatever the 2070 equivalent of the MPCP, persona programs, operational utilities, etc.
Solstice
These terms they are coming up with are so childish and cliche I'm going to go vomit my mustardballs into the toilet.
Shadow
QUOTE (mfb)
I also dislike the rumor that's cropped up about technomancers being able to access the Matrix solely with the power of their brains.

Thats not a rumor.
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 4 2005, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (mfb @ May 4 2005, 06:19 PM)
I also dislike the rumor that's cropped up about technomancers being able to access the Matrix solely with the power of their brains.

Thats not a rumor.

No, it's complete BS. Let's use MY$TIC's actual translation, shall we?

"Technomancer" - the grown-up children of the Matrix - are able to manipulate the wireless world with the power of their mind alone.

(emphasis mine).

There's nothing in there about them accessing the Matrix "solely with the power of their brains."
Kaosaur
Is SR pulling pages from Mage all of a sudden? What the heck?
Little Bill
QUOTE (Solstice)
These terms they are coming up with are so childish and cliche I'm going to go vomit my mustardballs into the toilet.

1st edition Shadowrun, Page 34 (the Decker Archetype):
"'Technomancer, that's what I am..."
Page 36 (Elf Decker Archetype):
"'I am a technomancer...'"

Can't blame Fanpro for coming up with "Technomancer" - it was in the original book in 1989.
Kagetenshi
Somehow it seems less cliché for a plain old-fashioned hardware-using decker to use the term than a quasi-mystical entity capable of accessing the neo-internet without a computer.

~J
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0 @ May 4 2005, 08:25 PM)
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 4 2005, 08:16 PM)
QUOTE (mfb @ May 4 2005, 06:19 PM)

Thats not a rumor.

No, it's complete BS. Let's use MY$TIC's actual translation, shall we?

"Technomancer" - the grown-up children of the Matrix - are able to manipulate the wireless world with the power of their mind alone.

(emphasis mine).

There's nothing in there about them accessing the Matrix "solely with the power of their brains."

I should amend this by saying that it is just as much an assumption that they don't as it is that datajacks exist in 4e or anything else. It just doesn't make any logical sense for them to access the Matrix directly from their brains. Manipulate... Sure. They do that now. Access OTOH is insane. I would sooner accept that they were magical, which is equally batshit crazy.
Charon
QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
It just doesn't make any logical sense for them to access the Matrix directly from their brains. Manipulate... Sure. They do that now. Access OTOH is insane. I would sooner accept that they were magical, which is equally batshit crazy.

They probably still use some kind of interface.

But that being said, brain activity is just electrical impulse, with wave lenght and everything. Just like a computer. It's probably not that hard to come up with some kind of justification that makes just as much sense as any number of SR convention. If it turns out the new breed of otaku can interface with the matrix by picking up signals like a satellite dish does, I for one won't get bugged down in figuring out how it can be possible. It would be the least of SR's supernatural features.
Crimsondude 2.0
wrhfbs dz lk, ;, ... Sorry, my brain just melted.

The saddest part is that by SR logic, and SR dev logic, that is a perfectly feasible explanation for such dreck.
toturi
Technomancer... new Lumiere PC coming to a SR game near you!
mfb
even if you assume that otaku brains have somehow gained the ability to detect light, you still have the problem of getting them to emit light, Charon. that means turning a brain into a lightbulb. i hope you see some of the problems inherent in that.
Crimsondude 2.0
Silence, heathen!

You and your... facts... and... logic sicken me!

I mean, sure, so they can interpret RF (from microwave to whatever else) that reaches their brains (You think they get more tumors than normal people then?), but mfb makes a major point: How do they emit the RF back to the receivers?
mfb
you'll never get me to renounce my communist ways!
Crimsondude 2.0
n/m.

Bad example.
hahnsoo
Even otaku now need an ASIST converter to access the Matrix. It makes sense that they would also need a Commlink (or whatever) to access the Wireless Matrix. Neural activity isn't an electrical-only impulse, anyway... it's a combination of chemical receptors and electrochemical reactions.
Crimsondude 2.0
Yet another nail in that coffin.
Bandwidthoracle
No adult otaku!
Make em be kids, and to access matrix 2 they need a data jack with a wifi card plugged into it.
Critias
QUOTE (mfb)
even if you assume that otaku brains have somehow gained the ability to detect light, you still have the problem of getting them to emit light, Charon. that means turning a brain into a lightbulb. i hope you see some of the problems inherent in that.

It will make their bulbous craniums full of soft, vital, brain matter all that much easier to pop a hollow point into during the dark of night. I see no problems with your idea. None at all.
Edward
I say they should need as much hardware as otaku do. If that is the case then they will be fine.

If they don’t need some form of transmitter (just like the otaku needed a data jack, a custom data jack with a raz override in fact) then it will be bad, I can cope however with long nerve chains acting as an antenna, transmitting and receiving RF signals.

If they use a magic attribute and are shown to be truly magical (as in they interact with the mana sphere) it will be all bad as that will be the end of the tech/magic dichotomy. Using the magic attribute purely as a mechanical device for them would not be a bad thing, just confusing.

Edward
blakkie
They are Otaku. What's not to hate? Time to break out the Herring Cannon! nyahnyah.gif

Well I suppose that as the Otaku grow up the concept of them grows up too. Maybe they even become a viable type, dare we say class, of PC? *shrug* If the Otaku manage to overcome the "fade" that opens up the possibilities of redefining how they work. So they can be redesigned as PCs instead of the NPCs they originally were.

Maybe i'm connecting too many dots, i haven't seen anyone pick up on the one item that really struck me. Am i out to lunch, or does that article seem to imply indirectly that now that the Otaku grew up some of them are going to have their driver's license? eek.gif

I know they talked about blurring the decker/rigger line. This fluff bit seems to further confirm that. But an Otaku as a rigger somehow didn't occur to me before. It further fuels the question what differentiates between "hackers" that are matrix centric, drone centric, security system/device centric, and vehicle centric. Just Skills and possibily Attributes? Or will there be 'ware (even for otaku) that will help them specialize?
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Edward)
If they don’t need some form of transmitter (just like the otaku needed a data jack, a custom data jack with a raz override in fact) then it will be bad, I can cope however with long nerve chains acting as an antenna, transmitting and receiving RF signals.

How can you accept that? That doesn't even make sense.

If they use a magic attribute and are shown to be truly magical (as in they interact with the mana sphere) it will be all bad as that will be the end of the tech/magic dichotomy.

If they turn out to be magical, which I see no reason for them to become on top of the fact that I think it's a horribly stupid idea, then they have bigger problems than can be cured by handwaving that kind of nonsense to allow Technomancers to access the Matrix without any hardware.

As for the adult Otaku... Well, gee, it sucks being right all the time, but that was kind of the whole point of the Dissonance. Blame mfb, but he suggested some ideas that once I read Threats 2 (after SOTA64) seem to be pretty obvious to be coming to a head down the line. The line ends at System Failure, and nothing so far has surprised me. Whether it's good or bad is not for me to decide until I read the book, but the signs have been there.
Kesh
Technomancers = living Program Carriers. biggrin.gif

Seriously, I'm sure they'll need a commlink but be able to get by without the full PDA/deck/thingy that traditional hackers need.

Also, Technomancer "riggers" are a sweet idea. *yoink!*
Rolemodel
Otaku are shitty. If they are the predecessor of Techomancers then, by default, Technomancers will be shitty as well.

This is indisputable, absolute truth. Further, if you disagree even in the slightest, you are admiting sexual impotence as a massive, overweight greaseball.

And if you -designed- Technomancers, then a special room will be reserved for you in the nineth level of hell. Cocytus. Reserved for traitors, the like of Judas, Cassius, Brutus, and crackwhore game designers.

-RM
Critias
Stop holding it in. Let it out. Tell us how you feel.
Solstice
Holy jeez. I don't even engage in that kind of vitriolic rambling.
nezumi
I voted mustardball because, sometimes, a man's just gotta stand up for what he believes in.

As for the otaku technomancer thing... It all makes sense to me! The simple answer is, all otaku surge! That's right, they surge back into lightning bugs or cuddle fish or something, but only their heads. So they can emit light through chemical reactions naturally! Eh, it all makes sense now, doesn't it? Otaku, SURGE and 'hackers' all rolled into one, perfect mustardball.
Eldritch
‘We are dreamers, shapers, singers, and makers. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner, holographic demons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ and we know many things.'

Oh, wait - wrong forum - thats a Technomage.

Sorry...

smile.gif

I myself could care less - Never used them - I've considered using them as a plot hook/npc thing. *shrug*

Just like Surge - Don't use it, don't care that it's in the rules.
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (Little Bill)
QUOTE (Solstice @ May 5 2005, 03:14 AM)

1st edition Shadowrun, Page 34 (the Decker Archetype):
"'Technomancer, that's what I am..."
Page 36 (Elf Decker Archetype):
"'I am a technomancer...'"

Can't blame Fanpro for coming up with "Technomancer" - it was in the original book in 1989.

I got the impression that SR3 was trying to steer-away from the earlier images of SR1 and SR2 a bit. I got the feeling they wanted SR3 to feel more "professional" and less "fantasy-cheese" for lack of better words. Who cares what they call it as long as they don't make SR4 into something dumb.
Charon
QUOTE (mfb @ May 5 2005, 12:48 AM)

Hmm. Technically the human brain can already detect light (well, a small spectrum of it, anyway). Through our eyes. We can detect heat and sound too. wink.gif

As far as emitting, it doesn't have to be light unless you're trying to connect directly through a fiber optic network. To connect to a satellite network, you'd have to emit some sort of microwave, like a cellphone of whatever it is satellite network use.

Still, we don't know that the Otaku need no interface at all, and even if they do that seem a trivial concern. So you have this guy in your game whose brain can pick up satellite signal and emit back. Who cares? The guy next to him is probably and elven mage, for crying out loud!
mfb
charon. microwaves and radio waves--the signal used by cellphones--are light. in order to connect to a wirless network, you need something that emits that type of light.
Critias
Like your eyes!
Charon
QUOTE (mfb @ May 5 2005, 01:48 PM)
charon. microwaves and radio waves--the signal used by cellphones--are light. in order to connect to a wirless network, you need something that emits that type of light.

When you say light, people usually think about the visible wavelenght of the electromagnetic spectrum.

If you consider any wavelenght as light, well, somme mammal emit various wavelenght. Technically, the heat every mammal emit is a wavelenght. The brain function through electrical current of a particular wavelenght.

It wouldn't take a sci-fi genius to write a justification that satisfy the SR degree of realism to explain how Otaku can produce some of the many wavelenghts used in communication.

I'm not saying that's what will happen. But I am saying it's really no big deal, not in the context of the SR universe, with dragons, blood magic, locus etc.
Grimtooth
These kind of changes happen in only 5 years????

10 maybe 15 yes.

Let's lump all the technomancers in with all Deus's flunkies.

They can be the first against the wall when the revolution comes!!! wobble.gif
Grimtooth
If i have my commlink installed in my ass invitro can i be an Otaku?

or will i still be a wannabe? indifferent.gif
Charon
QUOTE (Grimtooth @ May 5 2005, 01:56 PM)
These kind of changes happen in only 5 years????

10 maybe 15 yes.

Well, if you are talking from the POV of the theory of evolution... 5 or 15 years make no difference, we'd need a few thousands generations.

But if your talking about some sci-fi gimmick originated by crazy AIs used to transform the human brain... Then yeah, okay, 5 years. Doesn't matter.
Charon
QUOTE (Grimtooth)

Somehow, I think you'll always be a wannabe.

wink.gif

Grimtooth
Whooppeeee!!!!!

I knew it!!!

Mama always told me i was headed for mediocrity!!!
Demonseed Elite
If you consider any wavelenght as light, well, somme mammal emit various wavelenght. Technically, the heat every mammal emit is a wavelenght. The brain function through electrical current of a particular wavelenght.

That's true. Humans do emit electromagnetic radiation. Heat being the vast majority of it, but heat is also the lowest form and the most useless. We do emit other forms, but at a very short range, the transmission so weak that it is useless farther than a few inches from the body. You wouldn't get far if your cellphone had a signal range of 8 inches, unless you happen to live underneath a signal tower. nyahnyah.gif
mmu1
QUOTE (Charon @ May 5 2005, 01:55 PM)
The brain function through electrical current of a particular wavelenght.

Oh, God, not this again...

THE BRAIN DOES NOT FUNCTION AS A RESULT OF THE TRANSMISSION OF ELECTRIC CURRENT.

Nerve impulses are not electricity flowing, they're the result of ion channels opening on the axon of the nerve cell in response to neurotransmitters, which causes the flow of charged ions, not electrons, into the axon, which causes a localized change in ionic concentration and charge, which causes more ionic channels to open, etc, etc, leading to a cascade that propagates down the nerve. A change in electrical charge, and any other electrical activity is basically just a side effect of this, conveniently detectable by things like an EEG.

Electricity travels at the speed of light, nerve impulses are just electrochemical reactions that propagate at speeds measured in mere meters (not thousands of kilometeres) per second...
mfb
exactly. it very much would take a sci-fi genius (or idiot) to justify throwing those signals far enough to be useful. the fact that radio waves are light is handy because it's easy to visualize (literally) the problems inherent in making someone's brain glow brightly enough to be easily detected at a distance. the brain is able to throw signals (sorta) over distances that are only discernable if you're using a microscope, which means they don't draw much power. you're talking about throwing signals from a completely different part of the spectrum for miles. not only does your lightbulb need to glow brightly enough to be seen from space, it has to glow in a color that it's not physically capable of glowing in.
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll)
... as long as they don't make SR4 into something dumb.

To late, they've already done it.
BitBasher
QUOTE (Catsnightmare)
QUOTE (GrinderTheTroll @ May 5 2005, 12:13 PM)
... as long as they don't make SR4 into something dumb.

To late, they've already done it.

I hope you like a healthy dose of "Ghost In The Shell" in your SR. WiFi and Enhanced Reality, I'm looking at you.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Grimtooth)

only if your brain can talk to it without a translation layer (ie, no ums or similar).
Garland
QUOTE (Grimtooth)
Let's lump all the technomancers in with all Deus's flunkies.

They can be the first against the wall when the revolution comes!!! wobble.gif

Hear that, Kagetenshi? You'll have company when you face the firing squad.
Edward
If nerve impulses are measured in meters per second then the coordination of the legs running on broken ground would not be possible. You have to be talking at least hundreds of meters per second to get the instructions from the brain to the foot in time to avoid twisting your ankle far more often than my experience shows to be the case.

This however is still far les than the speed of light.

Edward
weblife
SR is placed in a world with Magic. How does a magician manipulate reality? - Where is his 'ware to transmit his will to his surroundings?

I, as well, am interested to see how they implement this world covering Matrix, and how they choose to interpret interaction with it.

But in a universe where you already accept the manipulation of invisible magical flows, I find it rather amusing to hear the vehement opposition of a similar technique to manipulate computers.

What if, and this is just speculation, you compare the magical permeation of the world, with the electronic and radiowaves permeating the world.

Both are invisible powers that pass through and around us all. Both can be used to achieve mystical effects, the electronic part we can easily identify with, and we tell ourselves that we all know something about the science of it. Meanwhile, a hermetic mage will claim that he knows the "science" behind magic. To the hermetic, science is applicable to both electronics and magic. - This is where he differs from the naysayers in this forum. You believe that you KNOW the rules of reality and fail to make the crossover into the SR universe.

If magic is percieved as a wavefront of energy, as it is also described to be, then its a short leap to accept that some Awakened people "accidentially" gets attuned to the wrong wavelength and find that they are in touch with the worlds electronics instead of the magical ditto.

These people will not show as magical, because they are attuned to a different wavelength, possibly provoked by the pervasive nature of electronic background noise that permeates the world.

There you have a rational explanation that fits within the SR universe.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012