Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Critias
*crosses his fingers*
Garwyn
In a way...I like the idea of the changes they are making.

I can see it's attraction and viability.

In every day life, except in the most technologically barren of areas there would be a large number of small computers/microprocessors integrated into every day objects. These peices of technology have a limited capacity in how they are able to operate. But they are so plentiful that it is fully possible to see the interactions and peices of technology as an overlay ontop of normal reality.

But I also think there can and should be a place for what we've come to think of as the 'matrix'.

For me, these would be artifical space constructs that can exist within much more complex computer systems <programs running on powerful computers/servers> that exist only within that system and require one to 'dive' into the artifical construct to interact with it, leaving the rest of reality behind. It would be similar to the different between astral perception and astral projection to other planes.

For me, the space of the matrix as we've come to know it would be more like pocket's of artifical reality that can be found spread out over the world, some of which would require close proximity or even direct physical connection to access (requiring your onsite combat deckers...er hackers).
Bandwidthoracle
QUOTE (Garwyn)
For me, these would be artifical space constructs that can exist within much more complex computer systems <programs running on powerful computers/servers> that exist only within that system and require one to 'dive' into the artifical construct to interact with it, leaving the rest of reality behind. It would be similar to the different between astral perception and astral projection to other planes.

For me, the space of the matrix as we've come to know it would be more like pocket's of artifical reality that can be found spread out over the world, some of which would require close proximity or even direct physical connection to access (requiring your onsite combat deckers...er hackers).

I disagree. Why bother having a telecommunications network when you have to be on the physical site to access it? Might as well not bother. The whole advantage to the internet is that we don't have to be in the same building. If all the people on dumpshock had to meet to talk, it'd never get done. Imagine how useless a search is if it only works locally. I hope they add agumented reality without taking away the matrix at large (Ideally just slightly streamlined rules as they are probabbly the closest to perfect out of all the rules). I mean I don't know about other groups but at any given time around half of my group is in the matrix doing remote work.
Garwyn
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle @ May 9 2005, 01:28 AM)
QUOTE (Garwyn)

I disagree. Why bother having a telecommunications network when you have to be on the physical site to access it? Might as well not bother. The whole advantage to the internet is that we don't have to be in the same building. If all the people on dumpshock had to meet to talk, it'd never get done. Imagine how useless a search is if it only works locally. I hope they add agumented reality without taking away the matrix at large (Ideally just slightly streamlined rules as they are probabbly the closest to perfect out of all the rules). I mean I don't know about other groups but at any given time around half of my group is in the matrix doing remote work.

The key point I made was that some of those pockets might require close proximety or even a phsyical connection, key word being some.

Example? A companies Intranet. Google is a public service...it's accessible at large. But in government and business, there are intranets where security mandates exist prohibiting a direct link between the intranet and the internet, or at least a highly regulated one such as a VPN.

The point I was going for was that artifical space could still have a place in the SR world....and there could even be a need for the traditional combat decker type....but rather than looking at the change as a crippling of the matrix one could look at it as an enhancement.

Imagine what it'd be like if there were no astral space/astral perception except for travel to other metaplanes....no interaction between reality and the astral. The changes seem more like an enhancement to me than a destruction.
Bandwidthoracle
hehe, that reads differently if you miss the word some. It'd be cool if they did it to some of the matrix stuff
Gambitt
QUOTE (Critias)
I wouldn't call them "more powerful," but from my admittedly limited understanding of them they are differently balanced.  In much the same way a mage or adept needs karma more than nuyen to get better (unlike a street sam), an otaku needs karma to get better instead of nuyen (unlike a decker).  Whereas your average plughead needs to sink money (or time, raw materials, the right skills, and still some money) into a deck and programs, an otaku spends karma (and time, I guess?) into getting better at his widgetry.  Same way a sammie needs cash for more hardware but an adept mostly just needs karma for more powers.

Seems good to me if thats how it works, and would be easy to balance out. Would give the option of being a hacker with more diverse skills with their karma but need more nuyen, or the cooler control it with your mind type.
As to the how it works thing, there seem to be several ideas on the thread i like and seem perfectly feasable to me.
I know thats a very simplified view, but hey ive got a degree in biochemistry and i find some of the theories difficult to follow nyahnyah.gif
Grinder
I fucking have the need to hate, hate, hate. nyahnyah.gif

Honestly i never loved otkaku - and that won't change with a "grown-up" version of the bunch.
Bandwidthoracle
Otaku are one of the coolest characters in Shadworun, it's quite a challenge to do they, I mean everyone knows how a mercenary acts, how does a gifted kid with a data jack act? I hope we don't loose any of that going to technomancter.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Garwyn)
QUOTE (Bandwidthoracle @ May 9 2005, 01:28 AM)
QUOTE (Garwyn)

The key point I made was that some of those pockets might require close proximety or even a phsyical connection, key word being some.

Example? A companies Intranet. Google is a public service...it's accessible at large. But in government and business, there are intranets where security mandates exist prohibiting a direct link between the intranet and the internet, or at least a highly regulated one such as a VPN.

The point I was going for was that artifical space could still have a place in the SR world....and there could even be a need for the traditional combat decker type....but rather than looking at the change as a crippling of the matrix one could look at it as an enhancement.

Imagine what it'd be like if there were no astral space/astral perception except for travel to other metaplanes....no interaction between reality and the astral. The changes seem more like an enhancement to me than a destruction.

hmm, like say a high-sec research lab where you have to be inside the reseach area to access the artifical enviroment but at a desk to access the matrix to look up public research info (was it in vr2 or matrix where they suggested a vanishing san that connected to the matrix at set times to sync discussion boards?).

while there is great benefit of being allways connected, there is allso great risks.

hmm, i dont recall sr covering vpn like systems for host to host connections.
weblife
Yay!

I was right!

One of the new attributes are "Resonance" which leads me to believe that my theory on how they get Technomancers to work, was true! eek.gif

Being able to feel the resonance, and being in tune with a different wave, than the magic one, was so obvious. grinbig.gif

mfb
i have several words for that. the only printable one is "ugh".
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (weblife)
Yay!

I was right!

One of the new attributes are "Resonance" which leads me to believe that my theory on how they get Technomancers to work, was true! eek.gif

Being able to feel the resonance, and being in tune with a different wave, than the magic one, was so obvious. grinbig.gif

Blurring the lines between fiction and fiction gone too far for over 59 days.
Shadow
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (mfb @ May 4 2005, 06:19 PM)
I also dislike the rumor that's cropped up about technomancers being able to access the Matrix solely with the power of their brains.

Thats not a rumor.

Told you.
Jrayjoker
Care to clarify? Where is it explicitly stated by the powers that be that technomancers are meat only?
SR4-WTF?
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 4 2005, 07:16 PM)
I also dislike the rumor that's cropped up about technomancers being able to access the Matrix solely with the power of their brains.

Thats not a rumor.

Told you.

Ya, you told him alright.

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
Crimsondude 2.0
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (Shadow @ May 4 2005, 07:16 PM)

Thats not a rumor.

Told you.

WTF

Strange posting aside, that would just suck.
mfb
yes. i was, indeed, told.
Dakhran the Dark
Close the world
Open the nExt
Panzergeist
Mages can manipulate the matrix with the power of their minds. Just lightning bolt a server. That will definately have an effect.
mfb
or lightning bolt the otaku. no Wil to overcome, elemental manips for teh win!
sanctusmortis
It's not hard to replace the Datajack with a Neural Wi-fi Connector... and ASIST could be a mere feature of it. Bingo, one explanation for ya.

It sounds like a good idea, but so did hitting reset on the old WoD.
BitBasher
QUOTE (sanctusmortis)
It's not hard to replace the Datajack with a Neural Wi-fi Connector... and ASIST could be a mere feature of it. Bingo, one explanation for ya.

It sounds like a good idea, but so did hitting reset on the old WoD.

Please, hook a wi-fi connector directly to your brain while I, the GM, dip my fist in Crisco™.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012