IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Frames and agents, what do they run on?
Bearclaw
post May 12 2005, 09:29 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,304

OK, I have seen this mentioned before but no real discussion.
Does a frame or agent need a system with active memory equal to it's size to run on?
It seems that way to me. Just as a person isn't actually uploaded into the net, niether is your agent. It must still have a CPU to run off of, IMHO. If there is an actual reference anywhere, plese let me know. Thnx
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JesterX
post May 12 2005, 09:50 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,390

They can be hosted anywhere on the matrix and they run from abiltually "anonymous" servers.

Don't worry about where they are hosted. When the decker uploads them, just assume that the decker finds a nice place to seed it's code.

Since they run from an anonymous host, the can also re-locate themselves everywhere they find suitable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we can safely assume that they got unlimited bandwidth also...

+Quote Post
mfb
post May 12 2005, 10:01 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

frames and agents borrow processing time from the computers they're running around on. don't ask for more details than that.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post May 12 2005, 10:02 PM
Post #4

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

when a frame or agent is fired up its uploaded to the target host by the decker, from then on its just like any other program on that host. smart frames and agents can keep working even after the decker have gone offline. dumb frames on the other hand is still connected to the deck somehow and die of the moment it looses that connection...

+Quote Post
Cray74
post May 13 2005, 01:30 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Bearclaw)
Just as a person isn't actually uploaded into the net, niether is your agent.

There's a difference between deckers and frames/agents:

*Deckers are stuck in a meat body. Simsense just pipes in images, sounds, and such from the Matrix. They can't project "out of body" into the Matrix.

*Frames and Agents are software that can be easily loaded from one computer from another.

*Therefore, the reasons that deckers can't "upload" into the Matrix are inapplicable to frames and agents.

As I believe the frame/agent section of Matrix says, frames and agents don't put a burden on a decker's cyberdeck because frames and agents are uploaded to the system that is being decked.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post May 13 2005, 01:33 PM
Post #6

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Cray74)
As I believe the frame/agent section of Matrix says, frames and agents don't put a burden on a decker's cyberdeck because frames and agents are uploaded to the system that is being decked.

Sort of the point of dumb frames. :D

+Quote Post
Cray74
post May 13 2005, 02:39 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Sort of the point of dumb frames. :D

Get a utility off-board and running on someone else's "RAM." :)

+Quote Post
GrinderTheTroll
post May 13 2005, 04:37 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,465

QUOTE (JesterX)
They can be hosted anywhere on the matrix and they run from abiltually "anonymous" servers.

Don't worry about where they are hosted. When the decker uploads them, just assume that the decker finds a nice place to seed it's code.

Since they run from an anonymous host, the can also re-locate themselves everywhere they find suitable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we can safely assume that they got unlimited bandwidth also...

Good explaination here. Every program (even AI and SK's) need to have some computer(s) somewhere running them.

Just as we need air to live, the software need a computer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:20 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.