Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frames and agents
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bearclaw
OK, I have seen this mentioned before but no real discussion.
Does a frame or agent need a system with active memory equal to it's size to run on?
It seems that way to me. Just as a person isn't actually uploaded into the net, niether is your agent. It must still have a CPU to run off of, IMHO. If there is an actual reference anywhere, plese let me know. Thnx
JesterX
They can be hosted anywhere on the matrix and they run from abiltually "anonymous" servers.

Don't worry about where they are hosted. When the decker uploads them, just assume that the decker finds a nice place to seed it's code.

Since they run from an anonymous host, the can also re-locate themselves everywhere they find suitable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we can safely assume that they got unlimited bandwidth also...
mfb
frames and agents borrow processing time from the computers they're running around on. don't ask for more details than that.
hobgoblin
when a frame or agent is fired up its uploaded to the target host by the decker, from then on its just like any other program on that host. smart frames and agents can keep working even after the decker have gone offline. dumb frames on the other hand is still connected to the deck somehow and die of the moment it looses that connection...
Cray74
QUOTE (Bearclaw)
Just as a person isn't actually uploaded into the net, niether is your agent.

There's a difference between deckers and frames/agents:

*Deckers are stuck in a meat body. Simsense just pipes in images, sounds, and such from the Matrix. They can't project "out of body" into the Matrix.

*Frames and Agents are software that can be easily loaded from one computer from another.

*Therefore, the reasons that deckers can't "upload" into the Matrix are inapplicable to frames and agents.

As I believe the frame/agent section of Matrix says, frames and agents don't put a burden on a decker's cyberdeck because frames and agents are uploaded to the system that is being decked.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Cray74)
As I believe the frame/agent section of Matrix says, frames and agents don't put a burden on a decker's cyberdeck because frames and agents are uploaded to the system that is being decked.

Sort of the point of dumb frames. biggrin.gif
Cray74
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Sort of the point of dumb frames. biggrin.gif

Get a utility off-board and running on someone else's "RAM." smile.gif
GrinderTheTroll
QUOTE (JesterX)
They can be hosted anywhere on the matrix and they run from abiltually "anonymous" servers.

Don't worry about where they are hosted. When the decker uploads them, just assume that the decker finds a nice place to seed it's code.

Since they run from an anonymous host, the can also re-locate themselves everywhere they find suitable.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we can safely assume that they got unlimited bandwidth also...

Good explaination here. Every program (even AI and SK's) need to have some computer(s) somewhere running them.

Just as we need air to live, the software need a computer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012