Closed TopicStart new topic
> Goodbye, Adios, Aloha, and So Long, That's about all the abuse I can take
Patrick Goodman
post May 19 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #1

Tilting at Windmills

Group: Members
Member No.: 388

Well, I had about one bad day on my honeymoon, and it was the day I popped in here to see what was going on. Ther resounding negative energy hit me so hard that I spent a good portion of the day thinking about what I was doing to myself.

It only take one time being told that I'm delusional, however, to convince me that I don't need to be here. So I'm leaving. I'll still be around DS, but this is probably the last time I'll be posting to this particular forum.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nythrun
post May 20 2005, 12:02 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 7,376

I am sorry to that, and thank you for such breadcrumbs as you were able to slip under the NDA.

Enjoy your honeymoon and for heaven's sake if not your own, take a Dumpshock sabbatical.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post May 20 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Arright, man. Well, thanks for the info you did give us. I appreciate it greatly. I hope you have an awesome honeymoon.

+Quote Post
Starglyte
post May 20 2005, 02:57 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,317

Thanks for the info. I hope you will still update your blog, but if not, I understand.
Congrats on your marriage.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post May 20 2005, 03:18 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

That's really too bad, if I could say something to change your mind I would. The negativity may be a temporary phenomemon. Your posts have contributed to improving the tone on the forum and the lack of your posts will be felt.

+Quote Post
Solstice
post May 20 2005, 03:59 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,960

Holy crap dude it's a forum get over it. If you let that mess with your honeymoon you have serious mental issues. It's not like we killed your dog or something. Aside from your obvious hypersenitivity, congrats on your marriage. Hopefully your better half is the strong one.

+Quote Post
Critias
post May 20 2005, 04:29 AM
Post #7

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 19 2005, 06:43 PM)
Well, I had about one bad day on my honeymoon, and it was the day I popped in here to see what was going on. Ther resounding negative energy hit me so hard that I spent a good portion of the day thinking about what I was doing to myself.

It only take one time being told that I'm delusional, however, to convince me that I don't need to be here. So I'm leaving. I'll still be around DS, but this is probably the last time I'll be posting to this particular forum.

No shit?

Maybe you shouldn't have logged on during your honeymoon. And maybe you should switch to decaf, while you're at it.

Patrick, you seem like a good guy. You seem like you care about Shadowrun. Your mistake is also seeming like you care about Dumpshock, and the people here. You apparently took it upon yourself to become "that guy," taking it upon himself to preach to the masses about the coming glory of SR4, defending the dev guys, explaining what you could without violating NDA, etc, etc, etc. Like Nightfire, the Ares rep. hanging out with a bunch of Shadowrunners, in SR1. You became the guy involved in SR4, the face of it, whether you knew you were or not. Every comment about SR4 that was negative, you took as an insult. Every comment about the game company that was negative, you took as a slap in the face. Every question someone had about the quality of what was around the corner, you let wrack your nerves before your wedding day. Every doubt anyone had, you took as someone doubting you, personally.

Get over it Mr. Goodman. Understand that we're uptight about our favorite game changing, understand that when they argue sometimes grown-ups say mean things to and about each other, understand that it's just the fucking internet so nothing anyone says is worth getting worked up over, understand that this is how people talk on-line, and pull your head out of your ass long enough to NOT LET THIS STUPID SHIT OVERFLOW INTO YOUR HONEYMOON, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

Go have a drink. Then check your priorities. Then see if a single god-damned thing any stranger on an internet forum could ever possibly say is worth this sort of drama. My magic eight ball tells me "fuck no." I'm sorry to see you go -- the on-line SR community, such as it is, needs as many intelligent people as it can get -- but if you're letting this crap get to be so serious to you that you're getting on-line during your honeymoon and letting it bug you, it's obviously for the best you take a break. A long one.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post May 20 2005, 05:27 AM
Post #8

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

For what ever the reason, I'm sorry to see you go. Thanks for what you tried to do.

+Quote Post
frostPDP
post May 20 2005, 05:43 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,205

Patrick,

I don't really know you. About all I know about you from your forum posts is that you really like Texas and hate that Atzlan got a peice of it. That's it.

What I do know, however, is that you took a huge risk to get us info. I don't know what particular post set you off - I don't know if what they said was justified. I do not know to what this statement is in reference to. This aside, to call someone delusional (if I can spell it) is a huge insult and has to be backed up if you seriously intend to push that issue. I doubt many people can argue with what you playtest - Its like science, once there's proof of something there's proof of it.

Many people here - Myself included - Are somewhat nervous over possible changes and screw-ups. Some of us, sometimes myself, don't want our favorite character archtype to change. I like Mages the way they are, I feel many changes are not necessary but I also recognize they can turn out for the best. IF they are done right. You are making sure, by being a playtester, they are. What you leak is still your opinion of how it works, but you have something to back it on.

There are arguments over how Geases work, how useful they are, and other crap about them. They clearly exist, are Canonical - but some people find different uses, some enjoy them more than others. Some reject them completely. That's fine. But they DO exist as canon for SR3 - So differing opinions can be tolerated. Sometimes people strike when they are afraid and it seems this might be a case of you being called something you don't deserve because someone is scared of change.

What you should do, however, is ignore them. Simply say "As far as I've seen, I'm not, and I've seen more than you." They have no argument to counter this unless they are a fellow playtester. They can say "Well how could this be?" and you might not even know (or be allowed to say due to the NDA) and could respond "I don't know...But it works. I played it, it works better than SR3 did, and so you need to chill." Its very hard for people to argue.

I hope you don't go. Not because I'm a great friend or admirer or anything - Like I said, I don't know you. It does seem, however, that you have put a lot of yourself into this and I know that quitting doesn't become of someone with your reputation (and from the other posts here, you have earned a lot of respect.) You have an opinion - And that earns my respect as well. If you choose to go, Blessed Be and I wish you continue working with and playing SR all you can take. I hope, however, you stick around and contribute.

Think of it this way - When SR4 comes out, your "delusions" will be cleared up. Then at least people can argue based on some sort of facts, not their own conjured conceptions of things which, if I am not mistaken, is somewhat delusional of them.

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post May 20 2005, 05:50 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

Holee crap batman! You took time from our honemoon, to check out what we're saying. And you let it spoil on of the days, that should be amongst the bes tin your life?!?!?!

What, :) Did you think we'd magically transform into a bunch of little angels, converts to the new Holy SR4? You've been here long enough to know better.

Sorry to see ya go. But enjoy your time with your fiance - shes a hellua lot more import than this place.

+Quote Post
Critias
post May 20 2005, 06:05 AM
Post #11

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (Eldritch)
Sorry to see ya go. But enjoy your time with your fiance - shes a hellua lot more import than this place.

I think we're allowed to call her his wife now. What with them being on a honeymoon and all.

+Quote Post
Eldritch
post May 20 2005, 06:13 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,139

:D Oops, yer right!

Hehe, sorry!

+Quote Post
Penta
post May 20 2005, 07:06 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

<pats Eldritch on the head> We're all dopey some days.:-)

+Quote Post
Penta
post May 20 2005, 07:06 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

<pats Eldritch on the head> We're all dopey some days.:-)

+Quote Post
Grinder
post May 20 2005, 07:42 AM
Post #15

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Thanks for the info you'd given us so far :)

But don't let the negative postings here affect you in any way. Take it as what it is: an expression of some people you don't know personally. So don't take it too serious what they're posting here. People are always afraid of coming changes. ;)

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post May 20 2005, 07:52 AM
Post #16

Guests

Yeah, right. Because he was the one who was called a poo-flinging monkey.

Poor baby.

+Quote Post
Edward
post May 20 2005, 07:54 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Patrick, don’t go, its only going to get more negative with out somebody to say “don’t worry, iv seen it and it will be good”.

And there must be some amusement factor in the way we extrapolate pages and pages of contradictory rules from 15 lines of FAQ.

Always remember, nobody hear actually noes what we are talking about and if anybody says that the only person that actually has an inside track and was kind enough to give us some extra hints is in any way a bad person or poorly informed they are the one that is deluded.

Edward

+Quote Post
Grinder
post May 20 2005, 10:35 AM
Post #18

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Crimsondude 2.0)
Yeah, right. Because he was the one who was called a poo-flinging monkey.

Poor baby.

Haven't read all the posts, so i didn't know. Whoever did so: :S

+Quote Post
SirBedevere
post May 20 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #19

Knight Templar

Member No.: 6,424

Glad you're not leaving DS Patrick. As for the SR4 thread, don't worry about it. If todays news is tomorrows fish and chip paper (sorry don't know what the equivalent would be in the States), todays forums (or should that be fora?) are tomorrows fading magnetic charge or whatever.

Think of the important things in life, and this isn't one of them. Take a break, enjoy life, enjoy your newly wedded bliss :D

When the SR4 ho-haa dies down, DS will be what it always has been, a bunch of people talking about Shadowrun and moaning. Either moaning about Shadowrun or moaning about the moaning! :) Sometimes it's constructive, sometimes it's not; but it's what we do here.

Whatever you do, you can't please all the people all of the time :grinbig:

+Quote Post
NightHaunter
post May 20 2005, 01:45 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,408

Don't let the bastards grind you down.
I have faith.

+Quote Post
weblife
post May 20 2005, 01:54 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,318

Unmoderated public boards, will always have excessive flaming and personal insults going on. Its a shame to let it get to you, I liked the posts of yours that I've read.

Its kinda funny though, to see the same flamers that went across the line of common courtesy, apologizing and admitting fault, now that their protests have had a real impact on someone elses life.

Not to seem all holy or anything, but I'd really like if the tone on these boards improved. Even if just a little.

Have a good one Patrick.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post May 20 2005, 02:05 PM
Post #22

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Hope you feel better later, Patrick. You really did get us a lot more info than anyone else associated with this (perhaps even Bull!) and I think we all appreciate it. It's not nice to shoot the messenger. I think things will change a lot come August. At minimum, people will appreciate what you brought to us, even those who don't buy SR4.

That said, if you're reading this on your honeymoon, you need a boot : P I at least made it the whole week only checking e-mail.

+Quote Post
Gambitt
post May 20 2005, 02:21 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 3,425

Patrick, i suppose im a little like you, and i dont look in this section of the forums much anymore. There are some cool people in here, but certain people, for example Solstice come out with comments like :
Holy crap dude it's a forum get over it. If you let that mess with your honeymoon you have serious mental issues. It's not like we killed your dog or something. Aside from your obvious hypersenitivity, congrats on your marriage. Hopefully your better half is the strong one

Well i just dont know what to say...... what a comlete shit for brains. Im really, really ashamed to even be a member of these forums when people come out with bullshit like that. I am not suprised at all that you are staying out these threads. Hope to catch your posts in other sections.

+Quote Post
Tanka
post May 20 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #24

Chrome to the Core

Member No.: 5,715

I'm honestly surprised at half of the responses.

"It's only a message board! You shouldn't take the internet seriously!"

Why not? If somebody can make a living off the internet, why shouldn't it be taken seriously?

If laws can be made to regulate what goes on when online, why shouldn't it be serious?

If people can be killed because of minor squabbles on the internet, why shouldn't it be taken seriously?

There's a fine line between flaming and offering your opinion. I believe that people have crossed that line several times too many, and it got to Mr. Goodman.

Everybody has their threshold, and you guys happened to trample all over it during his honeymoon. At least have the heart to apologize and try to keep from doing it again.

+Quote Post
Gambitt
post May 20 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 3,425

I wouldnt even bother trying Tanka, they will just quote you, flame you troll you and come up with " its an open forum, its fine to say these things, and you are wrong" type of dialogue. Its not about SR4 for them, more a case of how they can abuse people, whilst at the same time saying "look, im winning the arguement, and at the same time being offensive to them... im so superior"
Your post just gives them fresh ammunition.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:38 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.