> realism under fire
Critias
post Jun 17 2005, 08:54 AM
Post #21

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Silence, intraweb-nazis!

CreepwoodRun (4th edition) is the hottest new thing. Every fight starts with your super-cool team of hardened professional killers getting caught completely flat-footed by whatever rent-a-cop it is they're fighting.

Once the initial surprise round phase is over (and half the party is dead from the security guard's suppressive fire), the remaining half should trip while frantically diving for full cover (as the fear of getting shot compels them to do nothing offensive, on the grounds they might shoot themselves, and as their own realistic inept combat ability sends them comically sprawling instead, anyways).

Phase two takes a little longer, because both the security guards and the CreepwoodRunners are so tired all of a sudden. That initial .75 second adrenaline burst is gone, and combat fatigue has set in. Half the security guards are so shocked by the sudden confrontation they're a part of that they pass out cold. The other half attempt to reload, but fumble. The CreepwoodRunners, meanwhile, manage to shake, urinate, tremble, defecate, weep, and crawl their way to full cover.

Phase Three is just the super-augmented street sammie getting his actions (no one else rolled high enough for init). He got shot, though, in the initial horrendous wave of suppressive-fire. He's only got a Moderate Wound due to all his dermal plating and other augmentations, but he's just so shell-shocked and groggy after getting hit that he can't do much but lie there.

Phase Four is the sammie finally staggering to cover, because his overwhelming fear of enemy fire has him so incapable of doing anything usefull (despite the security guards all being busy bending over and picking up their dropped magazines), plus he can't see where the security guards are due to not having a 3784293 degree field of vision.

Round Two begins with half the party dead, half the guards passed out from boo-scary-fright, and everyone's movement penalized by difficult terrain, due to all the puddles of urine from everyone failing the Willpower (24) rolls to keep from wizzing themselves 'cause there's a fight. But that's okay, 'cause no one wants to do any moving anyways (since they can't see what's going on).

Roll init! Isn't this fun?!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azrael
post Jun 17 2005, 10:00 AM
Post #22

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 131

Taking a large well meaning step back...

Scaryly enough, our group had a newbie start and within 5 minutes had more accurately reacted to the battle than the others. When bullets started to fly he did run for cover! Suppressive fire made him stay down. Wounds made him stop to think about the consequences.

The regulars had become lax because the last few sessions (and we only get one every 6 weeks or so) had been extremely short and I'd opted out of drawn out combat and gone all Hong Kong.

And to end the ramble - enforce realism. Thankfully I have a guy who usually rolls at least two rule-of-ones a session so the fumbling with clips happens quite regularly.

+Quote Post
nick012000
post Jun 17 2005, 10:23 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 7,398

Critias wins the thread. :rotfl: :P

Why run for cover when you wired-to-the-gills street sam can take shotgun shells and elephant guns loaded with EX explosive bullets to the chest without getting injured? :cyber:

+Quote Post
BlackSmith
post Jun 17 2005, 12:37 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,101

QUOTE (nick012000)
Why run for cover when you wired-to-the-gills street sam can take shotgun shells and elephant guns loaded with EX explosive bullets to the chest without getting injured? :cyber:

Because he is about to be hit by Sand ball and the dude who dropped the mojo, is aiming you with net gun. Net gun that is loaded with net that is made of monowire. :S

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jun 17 2005, 01:37 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

I'm all for roleplaying, but some of us like rollplaying as well. Let the dice fall and describe the action. If you don't like rules go play storyteller in the SR universe.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jun 17 2005, 02:01 PM
Post #26

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I'm with Doc Funk, you must be missing some rules. I don't tell everyone where every other person on the field is. Sometimes they can hear an enemy, but can't spot him. Sometimes one guy sees someone and the other guys don't. Oftentimes they start to get tired, and suppressive fire, especially from multiple people, quickly becomes VERY deadly.

Plus, the people in my parties who don't know how to fight, generally try to avoid fighting. Full cover, on the defensive, shoot anything that pokes its head through. The people who move to the front are, funny enough, trained professionals, and know how to say duck and search for targets.

+Quote Post
creepwood
post Jun 17 2005, 05:16 PM
Post #27

Target

Member No.: 7,243

QUOTE (Supercilious)
That is because real life has too many variables to be simulated with a few dice, the closest we can show is hit or miss with a clear modifier to the target to hit (Be it a high or low number, every game is too clear cut). FPS' have the potential for realism, but no one wants to shoot an entire pistol clip and hit nothing when pointing at a stationary target, people want to be total badasses and bust caps in people foreheads as they jumpduck through a window.

omfg, that is why you have roleplaying, if you roleplay accurately you don't need no friggin rules for that.

Because of this thread I got my thoughts realized, people can't roleplay if it's to their disadvantge

Is fun equal to 'winning'?

+Quote Post
creepwood
post Jun 17 2005, 05:18 PM
Post #28

Target

QUOTE (Critias)
Silence, intraweb-nazis!

CreepwoodRun (4th edition) is the hottest new thing. Every fight starts with your super-cool team of hardened professional killers getting caught completely flat-footed by whatever rent-a-cop it is they're fighting.

Once the initial surprise round phase is over (and half the party is dead from the security guard's suppressive fire), the remaining half should trip while frantically diving for full cover (as the fear of getting shot compels them to do nothing offensive, on the grounds they might shoot themselves, and as their own realistic inept combat ability sends them comically sprawling instead, anyways).

Phase two takes a little longer, because both the security guards and the CreepwoodRunners are so tired all of a sudden. That initial .75 second adrenaline burst is gone, and combat fatigue has set in. Half the security guards are so shocked by the sudden confrontation they're a part of that they pass out cold. The other half attempt to reload, but fumble. The CreepwoodRunners, meanwhile, manage to shake, urinate, tremble, defecate, weep, and crawl their way to full cover.

Phase Three is just the super-augmented street sammie getting his actions (no one else rolled high enough for init). He got shot, though, in the initial horrendous wave of suppressive-fire. He's only got a Moderate Wound due to all his dermal plating and other augmentations, but he's just so shell-shocked and groggy after getting hit that he can't do much but lie there.

Phase Four is the sammie finally staggering to cover, because his overwhelming fear of enemy fire has him so incapable of doing anything usefull (despite the security guards all being busy bending over and picking up their dropped magazines), plus he can't see where the security guards are due to not having a 3784293 degree field of vision.

Round Two begins with half the party dead, half the guards passed out from boo-scary-fright, and everyone's movement penalized by difficult terrain, due to all the puddles of urine from everyone failing the Willpower (24) rolls to keep from wizzing themselves 'cause there's a fight. But that's okay, 'cause no one wants to do any moving anyways (since they can't see what's going on).

Roll init! Isn't this fun?!

In your way of seeing this you're still too hooked up un rules. the GM is not a opponent dammit. according to your example here the GM is opting 'his' characters.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jun 17 2005, 05:25 PM
Post #29

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

oh, christ, now i understand what's going on here. everybody: creepwood is an rp snob. the rules are, to him, something that get in the way of a good story. there's nothing inherently wrong with that, of course--but creepwood is here to spread the good news and help us overthrow the tyranny of the rules. whether or not you've got a problem with him, if you enjoy the gaming aspects of RPGs (the dice, the rules, etc.), then creepwood has a problem with you.

creepwood, know what i did last week? i made a character by rolling up his stats, and only came up with a background after i was done! and i still don't have a name for him! (join in, everybody, it's like throwing garlic at vampires!)

+Quote Post
creepwood
post Jun 17 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #30

Target

One thing needed to establish is.

What's the definition of fun in a roleplaying game?

Is it finding the most opted way to kill an opponent?

The reason for this thread was more of finding out of anybody really roleplays anymore. The way we play is that the GM is not an opponent, we tell a story together. We pretty much handle our roleplaying ourselves. If I get a hit in the shoulder for example I tell myself to the rest of the group i.e. that I'm slung around, getting off balance and that if I choose to fire my own weapon the nextcomming action I will have a few options.

either I will just fire some rounds in the general direction hoping that I will get some suppressive fire so that I will not be hit again making the attacker duck for more cover

OR I might try to duck an cover completely if I don't MYSELF consider me too groggy by the hit.

OR if I consider myself not TOO groggy I might even try to hit the person shot me if I don't consider MYSELF too groggy.

OR the absolut coolest thing to do, 'a paus' were me and the attacker stare at eachother.

What I think most players and GM's lack is confiedence in eachother ability to play 'fair' and hence need rules to control that.

If you ask me, BORING way to play.

+Quote Post
Supercilious
post Jun 17 2005, 05:44 PM
Post #31

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,873

QUOTE (mfb @ Jun 17 2005, 12:25 PM)
oh, christ, now i understand what's going on here. everybody: creepwood is an rp snob. the rules are, to him, something that get in the way of a good story. there's nothing inherently wrong with that, of course--but creepwood is here to spread the good news and help us overthrow the tyranny of the rules. whether or not you've got a problem with him, if you enjoy the gaming aspects of RPGs (the dice, the rules, etc.), then creepwood has a problem with you.

creepwood, know what i did last week? i made a character by rolling up his stats, and only came up with a background after i was done! and i still don't have a name for him! (join in, everybody, it's like throwing garlic at vampires!)

Creepwood has his own chapter in Loose Alliances... Vilgila Roleplayis or something.

EDIT: I once used amnesia as a plot device because I had to incorporate a new runner in less than an hour.

Also, I hate to sink so low, but: http://roleplayers.ytmnd.com/

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jun 17 2005, 05:48 PM
Post #32

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (creepwood)

this, right here, is your problem, creepwood. you're assuming that there's only one way to have fun in an RPG. i love roleplaying, and i love 'winning' combat. that's what's cool about RPGs, is that there isn't just one way to have fun. you don't even have to have fun one way at a time. to me? your game sounds pretty boring, because you're completely ignoring innumerable ways to have fun with the game in favor of the one you think is the best. nothing seperates you from the guys who play RPGs in order to rack up the most kills.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jun 17 2005, 06:30 PM
Post #33

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I agree. Threepwood, part of the game is talking with people, figuring out the mystery, winning over your contacts, and puzzling your way out of the locked room. But part of it is also blowing the heck out of your enemies and seeing those numbers on your character sheet go up. I know, that's a funny thought, but some of us LIKE rolling the dice and wiping the sweat off our collective brows. Some of play the missions in part to see those little numbers go higher after each run.

So saying our games are boring and your game is fine, but remember, you're only one lonely pirate. Some of us happen to like a mix. Some of us happen to like the numbers far more than the acting. Some of us think that freeform is the dumbest idea on earth. So don't simply assume that just because YOU like it, we will too.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Jun 17 2005, 07:16 PM
Post #34

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

it is incredibly difficult to do something you believe to be stupid. And almost as difficult to do so in an RPG.

We create our characters with personalities that will allow them to survive, a cowardly samy would be useless and probably get the team killed because he is the one that you expect to be able to push threw an ambush, a rdecker on the other hand should duck and leave that job to the combat character while a mage would probably do both, hide and then summon something to break a way out.

Creepwood, the problem with the style you put forward is 2 fold, one it really works best without mechanics at all, and that’s all very well if that’s what you want but it creates problems with power level. For example, it’s a combat game so in my history I include that I had training with the SAS (or similar eleat military organization) and specialized in close range work with assault rifles, SMGs and pistols. The problem emerges when I and the GM in the middle of a chase seen have a disagreement over how far and fast I can run, or how good I am at stealth or whether or not I am proficient with pintle mounted HMG or know what buttons to push on a Chinese rocket launcher or is capable of field striping two burned out radios to get one working. Or even just how good a shot I am with a heavy pistol. Now to my mind any member of a eleat military squad should be able to do all those things (the radio only if he is lucky enough that the same component wasn’t damaged in each radio). But the GM may feal that one character should not be able to do that many things with any degree of proficiency (the SR rules certainly won’t let you create what I think an experienced Special Forces soldier should have)

What the rules are for is to quantify these things, so there won’t be disagreement over what you can and can not do, you ether have the skill or you don’t, dose a shot hit or dose the target dodge, eth rules cover things your character can not choose to change, weather the character tries to shoot or try’s to hide and stay safe is something the character can decide so you don’t roll to determine what is attempted, you only roll to determine weather an attempt is successful.

This is how I find it most fun. I can try to do whatever I want (within the personality I choose) without restrictions but there is a defined mechanic to randomly determine weather I succeed or fail.

Edward

+Quote Post
creepwood
post Jun 17 2005, 07:32 PM
Post #35

Target

QUOTE (mfb)

news for you buddy boy, I started roleplaying 15 years ago....'dude'

+Quote Post
creepwood
post Jun 17 2005, 07:37 PM
Post #36

Target

QUOTE (nezumi)
I agree. Threepwood, part of the game is talking with people, figuring out the mystery, winning over your contacts, and puzzling your way out of the locked room. But part of it is also blowing the heck out of your enemies and seeing those numbers on your character sheet go up. I know, that's a funny thought, but some of us LIKE rolling the dice and wiping the sweat off our collective brows. Some of play the missions in part to see those little numbers go higher after each run.

So saying our games are boring and your game is fine, but remember, you're only one lonely pirate. Some of us happen to like a mix. Some of us happen to like the numbers far more than the acting. Some of us think that freeform is the dumbest idea on earth. So don't simply assume that just because YOU like it, we will too.

I'm not saying that your way is wrong. what I say is wrong is that most people haven't even contemplated over another way to play RPG

+Quote Post
Edward
post Jun 17 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #37

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

QUOTE (creepwood @ Jun 18 2005, 03:37 AM)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 17 2005, 08:30 PM)
I agree.  Threepwood, part of the game is talking with people, figuring out the mystery, winning over your contacts, and puzzling your way out of the locked room.  But part of it is also blowing the heck out of your enemies and seeing those numbers on your character sheet go up.  I know, that's a funny thought, but some of us LIKE rolling the dice and wiping the sweat off our collective brows.  Some of play the missions in part to see those little numbers go higher after each run.

So saying our games are boring and your game is fine, but remember, you're only one lonely pirate.  Some of us happen to like a mix.  Some of us happen to like the numbers far more than the acting.  Some of us think that freeform is the dumbest idea on earth.  So don't simply assume that just because YOU like it, we will too.

I'm not saying that your way is wrong. what I say is wrong is that most people haven't even contemplated over another way to play RPG

I disagree, I think that a significant proportion of RPs have heard of and considered LARPs and or diceles tabletop.

Its jut that a lot quickly rejected it and many that chose it play LARPs and thus don’t show up on the boards for dice based table top games

Edwaerd

+Quote Post
sanctusmortis
post Jun 17 2005, 07:49 PM
Post #38

Target

Member No.: 7,444

Having done 5 years of LRP (Lorien Trust's Gathering, in the UK, by the way), I can honestly say that Shadowrun is more accurate than real combat.

Having also ran diceless roleplay before, I can honestly say it's a nightmare. Without a proper mechanic a game becomes a total ball of confusion, as players try and work out what they did wrong. It also gets a bit a bit "tales around the campfire".

The fun in an RPG is not having a system that reflects reality; it's not having combat last 3 years as the GM describes how the bad guys fling themselves behind the bulkhead 22.7 metres away, opening up with a 7-shot burst from a 2063 edition M22A2 assault rifle with a well polished finish; the fun in an RPG is seeing how, with the character you and your friends created, you can make a simple ruleset and some numbers make something you can tell people about excitedly. It's like computer games; is the fun in a racing game the knowing that your suspension is set up to emulate Colin McRae's Ford Focus rally car throughout his 2004 season, or taking a sweet handbrake turn to grab last second glory at Silverstone in a car you've slavishly tuned up over the last few days?

The fun in a game is what you acheive, how close a call it was, and how proud you are it happened. It's about doing stuff you couldn't do in real life, like leaping between brooftops firing at the corper skag who tried to kill your friend last week, not knowing you accurately portrayed the physics inherant in jumping between the rooftops.

And anyone who says different should be banned from playing the damn games.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jun 17 2005, 07:59 PM
Post #39

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (creepwood)

Is it finding the most opted way to kill an opponent?

You do realize that you are the only one saying that people don't roleplay their characters. You do understand that, right? You pulled a bunch of bunk straight out from your ass, accussed everyone of being some kind of optimal killing machine, and then proceeded to tell everyone how stupid they are for actually roleplaying AND understanding that many of the rules help encourage roleplaying to boot (including adding aspects of what you were bitching about in the first place, which you're apparently either too ignorant or too dim-witted to comprehend).

Get a clue.

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Jun 17 2005, 08:03 PM
Post #40

Guests

So effing what?

mfb's been playing SR for a lot less time than I have, and he's still by far the better roleplayer.

But that still doesn't actually do anything to prove or even suggest that his comment was wrong, false, or batshit crazy.

+Quote Post
creepwood
post Jun 17 2005, 08:29 PM
Post #41

Target

QUOTE (sanctusmortis)
Having done 5 years of LRP (Lorien Trust's Gathering, in the UK, by the way), I can honestly say that Shadowrun is more accurate than real combat.

Having also ran diceless roleplay before, I can honestly say it's a nightmare. Without a proper mechanic a game becomes a total ball of confusion, as players try and work out what they did wrong. It also gets a bit a bit "tales around the campfire".

The fun in an RPG is not having a system that reflects reality; it's not having combat last 3 years as the GM describes how the bad guys fling themselves behind the bulkhead 22.7 metres away, opening up with a 7-shot burst from a 2063 edition M22A2 assault rifle with a well polished finish; the fun in an RPG is seeing how, with the character you and your friends created, you can make a simple ruleset and some numbers make something you can tell people about excitedly. It's like computer games; is the fun in a racing game the knowing that your suspension is set up to emulate Colin McRae's Ford Focus rally car throughout his 2004 season, or taking a sweet handbrake turn to grab last second glory at Silverstone in a car you've slavishly tuned up over the last few days?

The fun in a game is what you acheive, how close a call it was, and how proud you are it happened. It's about doing stuff you couldn't do in real life, like leaping between brooftops firing at the corper skag who tried to kill your friend last week, not knowing you accurately portrayed the physics inherant in jumping between the rooftops.

And anyone who says different should be banned from playing the damn games.

I'm not even saying that I want a diceless game, in such an action oriented game like shadowrun i don't think it'll work. I was just suggesting that everything doesn't need a rule...

And for everybody else, I am sorry that I can't explain myself any better in this language.

But the image I get from 'you' is that you are so friggin into the gaming that you can't get any other perspective on things. I've done em both, rulecruising and playing totally diceless.

+Quote Post
FrostyNSO
post Jun 17 2005, 08:45 PM
Post #42

Resident Legionnaire

Member No.: 6,550

Just chill with the trolling, make yourself a few simplified houserules, and go play...sheesh.

If you hunger for "real life" combat, go fight a war...

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 17 2005, 08:53 PM
Post #43

Freelance Elf

Which makes for a better action movie -- a hero who spends the whole flick looking around stupidly while he gets shot at, finally figuring out where it's coming from, falling over 'cause he got clipped in the shoulder, blazing away wildly (and missing with each shot) at his unseen assailant, pissing himself, and then fumbling a reload while crying for momma and crawling for cover?

Or one where he looks heroic, shoots the bad guy, and taps the female lead and her sister at the same time?

Not what makes a better movie, mind you -- but what makes a better action movie? Which one is more fun to watch (despite being unrealistic, or whatever)? And, lastly, which type of movie would you rather be the star of, or put yourself in his place?

Games are for fun.

+Quote Post
creepwood
post Jun 17 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #44

Target

QUOTE (Critias)
Which makes for a better action movie -- a hero who spends the whole flick looking around stupidly while he gets shot at, finally figuring out where it's coming from, falling over 'cause he got clipped in the shoulder, blazing away wildly (and missing with each shot) at his unseen assailant, pissing himself, and then fumbling a reload while crying for momma and crawling for cover?

Or one where he looks heroic, shoots the bad guy, and taps the female lead and her sister at the same time?

Not what makes a better movie, mind you -- but what makes a better action movie? Which one is more fun to watch (despite being unrealistic, or whatever)? And, lastly, which type of movie would you rather be the star of, or put yourself in his place?

Games are for fun.

and you see everything in black and white, it's either way. If you're not a warmachine then you're a goof. jeez.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 17 2005, 08:59 PM
Post #45

Freelance Elf

Second place in a gunfight is dead. Maybe your GM lets you get away with slacking, maybe the rest of your 'runner team (or whatever style of game you play) is okay with picking up your dead weight, and maybe your NPCs have 2's and 3's in all their combat skills, so you can spend phase after phase sitting on your thumb.

But where I play, if the sammie doesn't pull his weight, things fall apart; the center cannot hold.

So, yes. If you're not a warmachine, you're a goof. And either you, or someone else, has to go back through character creation because of it.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.