IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Missile Parry in Real Life, Sort of...
Kyuhan
post Jun 20 2005, 02:04 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,628

I dunno if this has been posted before but I thought it was kinda cool. Check it:Arrow Catch

Beware; it's an 8 minute, 20 meg, video clip.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DocMortand
post Jun 20 2005, 09:49 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,734

That's cool...but not nearly as dangerous as Missile Parrying a live grenade... Let's see THAT in Ripley's!

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Jun 21 2005, 12:19 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Kind of related http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/conten...?recordid=57835

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Jun 21 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

Hmm. Well, the bit about not being able to see the arrow because it's moving so fast is a load of bull, as anyone who's ever done any archery at all can confirm. That does make doing it blindfolded relatively more impressive, though. Also, if the "hundred miles an hour!" figure they keep harping on is accurate, that's a slow arrow. That's only about 45 m/s... 75-90 m/s is more typical.

Actually, that arrow's moving about the same speed as the rubber-headed blunts we sometimes use in SCA combat archery. While I've never actually tried catching one of those, I have parried them with my greatsword before.

+Quote Post
Supercilious
post Jun 21 2005, 06:25 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,873

QUOTE (John Campbell)
Actually, that arrow's moving about the same speed as the rubber-headed blunts we sometimes use in SCA combat archery. While I've never actually tried catching one of those, I have parried them with my greatsword before.

Tres chic.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 21 2005, 06:31 PM
Post #6

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Yeah. Arrows -- except the ultra-light, ultra-short, ultra-nasty ones you use with an overdraw chute and a disgustingly powerful compound bow, for hunting -- really aren't all that terribly difficult to see/watch/react to in flight.

I was once able to (completely reflexively/accidentally/unplanned) bat one out of the air while teaching archery to a bunch of Boy Scouts. When you spend too many years teaching about 125 kids a week (for 10 weeks) how to use a bow, you eventually hit some stupid little jackass who just wants to "see what will happen" if he lobs one at you while you're demonstrating how to retreive an arrow from a target.

I let out a reflexively little "aiee!" sort of hand-thwap-sweep (like when a hornet's flying at you) and managed to bat it out of the air a few feet to one side of me (it wasn't gonna hit me anyhow). The twelve year olds were suitably impressed, that kid got banished from the range never to return, and everyone paid lots of attention for the rest of the week, convinced their camp counselor was The One.

+Quote Post
Modesitt
post Jun 21 2005, 06:53 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,963

During a game of paintball, I witnessed with my own eyes a guy CATCH a paintball coming straight at him. A guy snapped off a shot at him, he pulled his hand up and came away holding the ball in his gloved hand. He looked over at me from his cover with his eyes wide, showed me the ball in his hand, and dropped it.

Every paintball gun there had to be clocked before being allowed onto the field, so it was definitely going 280 feet/second or less.

But catching an arrow while blind folded? THAT takes practice.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jun 21 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,675

QUOTE (Critias)
Yeah. Arrows -- except the ultra-light, ultra-short, ultra-nasty ones you use with an overdraw chute and a disgustingly powerful compound bow, for hunting -- really aren't all that terribly difficult to see/watch/react to in flight.

I was once able to (completely reflexively/accidentally/unplanned) bat one out of the air while teaching archery to a bunch of Boy Scouts. When you spend too many years teaching about 125 kids a week (for 10 weeks) how to use a bow, you eventually hit some stupid little jackass who just wants to "see what will happen" if he lobs one at you while you're demonstrating how to retreive an arrow from a target.

I let out a reflexively little "aiee!" sort of hand-thwap-sweep (like when a hornet's flying at you) and managed to bat it out of the air a few feet to one side of me (it wasn't gonna hit me anyhow). The twelve year olds were suitably impressed, that kid got banished from the range never to return, and everyone paid lots of attention for the rest of the week, convinced their camp counselor was The One.

Sweet. The closest I came to that was dodging a well aimed frisbe while tying a tent rope...Not on the same level.

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jun 21 2005, 07:00 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Does that make me The Two?

+Quote Post
Kyuhan
post Jun 22 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Hmmm, maybe more like The Three, the Two would be the guy who at least tries to catch an arrow and gets hit. :D

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jun 22 2005, 04:04 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Aw Man! I wanted to be number two!

:(

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Jun 23 2005, 02:11 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

Well, it should be pretty easy. Just get someone to shoot an arrow at you. :D

+Quote Post
Jrayjoker
post Jun 23 2005, 04:51 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Well, there are a lot of people who have volunteered in the past.... :D

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:39 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.