Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Missile Parry in Real Life
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kyuhan
I dunno if this has been posted before but I thought it was kinda cool. Check it:Arrow Catch

Beware; it's an 8 minute, 20 meg, video clip.
DocMortand
That's cool...but not nearly as dangerous as Missile Parrying a live grenade... Let's see THAT in Ripley's!
Kyuhan
Kind of related http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/conten...?recordid=57835
John Campbell
Hmm. Well, the bit about not being able to see the arrow because it's moving so fast is a load of bull, as anyone who's ever done any archery at all can confirm. That does make doing it blindfolded relatively more impressive, though. Also, if the "hundred miles an hour!" figure they keep harping on is accurate, that's a slow arrow. That's only about 45 m/s... 75-90 m/s is more typical.

Actually, that arrow's moving about the same speed as the rubber-headed blunts we sometimes use in SCA combat archery. While I've never actually tried catching one of those, I have parried them with my greatsword before.
Supercilious
QUOTE (John Campbell)
Actually, that arrow's moving about the same speed as the rubber-headed blunts we sometimes use in SCA combat archery. While I've never actually tried catching one of those, I have parried them with my greatsword before.

Tres chic.
Critias
Yeah. Arrows -- except the ultra-light, ultra-short, ultra-nasty ones you use with an overdraw chute and a disgustingly powerful compound bow, for hunting -- really aren't all that terribly difficult to see/watch/react to in flight.

I was once able to (completely reflexively/accidentally/unplanned) bat one out of the air while teaching archery to a bunch of Boy Scouts. When you spend too many years teaching about 125 kids a week (for 10 weeks) how to use a bow, you eventually hit some stupid little jackass who just wants to "see what will happen" if he lobs one at you while you're demonstrating how to retreive an arrow from a target.

I let out a reflexively little "aiee!" sort of hand-thwap-sweep (like when a hornet's flying at you) and managed to bat it out of the air a few feet to one side of me (it wasn't gonna hit me anyhow). The twelve year olds were suitably impressed, that kid got banished from the range never to return, and everyone paid lots of attention for the rest of the week, convinced their camp counselor was The One.
Modesitt
During a game of paintball, I witnessed with my own eyes a guy CATCH a paintball coming straight at him. A guy snapped off a shot at him, he pulled his hand up and came away holding the ball in his gloved hand. He looked over at me from his cover with his eyes wide, showed me the ball in his hand, and dropped it.

Every paintball gun there had to be clocked before being allowed onto the field, so it was definitely going 280 feet/second or less.

But catching an arrow while blind folded? THAT takes practice.
Jrayjoker
QUOTE (Critias)
Yeah. Arrows -- except the ultra-light, ultra-short, ultra-nasty ones you use with an overdraw chute and a disgustingly powerful compound bow, for hunting -- really aren't all that terribly difficult to see/watch/react to in flight.

I was once able to (completely reflexively/accidentally/unplanned) bat one out of the air while teaching archery to a bunch of Boy Scouts. When you spend too many years teaching about 125 kids a week (for 10 weeks) how to use a bow, you eventually hit some stupid little jackass who just wants to "see what will happen" if he lobs one at you while you're demonstrating how to retreive an arrow from a target.

I let out a reflexively little "aiee!" sort of hand-thwap-sweep (like when a hornet's flying at you) and managed to bat it out of the air a few feet to one side of me (it wasn't gonna hit me anyhow). The twelve year olds were suitably impressed, that kid got banished from the range never to return, and everyone paid lots of attention for the rest of the week, convinced their camp counselor was The One.

Sweet. The closest I came to that was dodging a well aimed frisbe while tying a tent rope...Not on the same level.
Jrayjoker
Does that make me The Two?
Kyuhan
Hmmm, maybe more like The Three, the Two would be the guy who at least tries to catch an arrow and gets hit. biggrin.gif
Jrayjoker
Aw Man! I wanted to be number two!

frown.gif
Tziluthi
Well, it should be pretty easy. Just get someone to shoot an arrow at you. biggrin.gif
Jrayjoker
Well, there are a lot of people who have volunteered in the past.... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012