hermit
post Jun 29 2005, 06:27 PM
Post #1

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Anti-Metas

Tone
This screams "American". Either this article was written by an American author, or by someone really in touch with US culture. The starting sentences, how he refers to himself as a decent man because he goes to church every sunday ... hell, you'd really be hard pressed to find a European who goes to church once a month, at least in central-northern Europe ... don't know about the South, but at least in France, churches are dying fast, so I guess attendance rates there aren't really high too.
Apart from that observation (which in no way means judgement, mind you!), the tone is good for an organisation that's essentially an anti-meta KKK, right down to the hoods and funny rituals.
Again, this isn't bad. But it shows that Humanis is, essentially, a North American, not a worldwide, actor. It may have chapters in other parts of the world, but the heartland of them is and remains in America.

Content
Humanis gets a lot of coverage, by far more than all others. I'd have appreciated more on other - non-American - organisations of that kind, and especially on Japan, which after all is very, VERY anti-meta too (to the point of operating concentration camps!). Saito would have deserved a mention here, too. All in all, it's tailored to be used in a primarily North American campaign, which is kind of sad, because the rest of the world is just as ripe with racism.
Alamos 20K gets an update too, though without Threats, it's really not as useful. However, the introduction of a Mengele as a replacement for the troll and Nazi is a nice touch. But please, dear authors, don't take that "mad scientist" cliche everywhere. With Halberstram and the Doktor, there's two of these now ... be a bit creative ith the other racists!
Thankfully, there is Human Nation too, which is essentially (as it seems) a worldwide and far-fetched anti-meta conspiracy. From what we can take from the crippled file, they are more vicious, more widespread and more agressive, yet at the same time more secretive, elitist, and powerful than the KKK goons of humanis. It's also heavily invested in Asia, especially Japan, and covers Saito, to. It's also featured in Threats 2. This is the worldwide component, I guess.

Usefulness
Well, nothing terribly new here, really. The humanis bits are taken from Mr. J.'s LBB (upright humanis member contact) and threats, Human nation is a threats update, and so is Alamos 20K. I'd have appreciated a more asian focus there, really, especially with SoA looming.
It is still useful, of course. For runners in NA as well as Europe. But nothing I haven't heared before. So far, the weakest part.

Rating: 5/10

More tomorrow. Tired, need my sleep. :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 30 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #2

The King In Yellow

Pro-Metas

Tone
Like the previous chapter really.

Content
The groups fighting "for" the Metas were never as much laid out as the anti-Meta groups, so I'm quite happy to read about them.
The content itsdelf was nothing too new, and again, this chapter really should have been expanded. What about Orkland/SanFran? The anti-Saito resistance?

Usefulness
Useful. Which runner group hasn't had a run-in with ORK, the Underground trogs, or some other pro-meta group? Besides, many players play metas, and many more are sympathetic to metahumanity rather than the previously mentioned groups (because they want to be good ... ).

Rating: 7/10

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jul 4 2005, 07:38 AM
Post #3

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 185

So when are we going to see more? ;)

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 4 2005, 07:44 AM
Post #4

The King In Yellow

Oh, it's coming, just haven't been in a mood to write till now. Who wrote the muslim chapter, btw?

+Quote Post
SL James
post Jul 4 2005, 08:12 AM
Post #5

Shadowrun Setting Nerd

Group: Banned
From: Pissing on pedestrians from my electronic ivory tower.
Member No.: 7,473

Don't you think a thread for each or a couple of sections of a chapter is a bit much?

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 4 2005, 09:02 AM
Post #6

The King In Yellow

No, otherwise I would post only one post about the whole book. Figures, hunh?

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jul 4 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #7

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 185

The two (actually three) Muslim groups were written by Dan Grendell (IUM / NIJ) and fellow SoEr Joćo Nunes (IRM) who also writes a significant portion of the Middle East in SoA.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 4 2005, 11:15 AM
Post #8

The King In Yellow

A more detailed review is in the works, but the only thing that made me wonder is that the Bohra get their own mention, but Sufi - who represent a refreshingly different, more 'shamanic' approach to Islam, if you will, don't. Granted, Ninjas with beards are easy to integrate into every basic SR plot, and Sufi might not make as good a plot tool ... but still, for completeness' sake, I'd have liked them. Otherwise, great work. :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:03 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.