IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ah! initiation help!, i don't have mits! my hands are cold!
northern lights
post Jul 13 2005, 02:16 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,929

hey, i'm putting tgether a character concept.

but i need some help and don't have a copy of mits.

can a starting character use spell points as karma for initiation and summoning an ally spirit?

i used to have a house rule that you could, but i can't find that either.

i don't really want to stir up a debate, but what's the consensus on the "official" ruling?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Jul 13 2005, 02:45 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

I believe that mits leaves it open to GM discretion. However, I believe that it discourages GMs from allowing players to join initiatory groups or perform ordeals to reduce initiation karma costs during character generation.

(Of course, I don't have my MITS handy either, so I'm probably wrong.)

+Quote Post
northern lights
post Jul 13 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

of course! how could i forget. it's a fasa product therefore the rules are spread throughout 15 different books. and just when you get them all, some pirate comes along and tells you "they're more like guidlines."

haha, i'm going mad.

anyway, i won't be able to do both, not by a long shot, the ally would be useless then.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Jul 13 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

I'm assuming you're making a conjuring adept. 35 points gets you a nice rating 4 ally with sense link and a couple forms, or one initiation and 3 character points, or 7 character points.
Or, it will bond a rating 6 katana weapon focus, leaving 11, 10 of which would bond a rating 5 spirit focus. Assuming you also had that kind of cash.
If you can't cast your own spells, you might also want to think about a couple sustaining foci.

+Quote Post
northern lights
post Jul 13 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

magician's way physad. just thought of all the ways people munch physads out, esp using the magician's way to bond the weapon focus. then thought of ways people hadn't done it.

i'm making the character a dwarf, and i am soooooo tempted to make the ally spirit take the form of a pig so he can ride it around like tyrion at the purple wedding. even tho tyrion didn't actually ride one.

i am stoked affc is done.

i also had the thought of getting imp invis for the physad and having a taller spirit. then having the invis dwarf sneak up behind you and have the spirit push you.

yeah, and i think if i had a million nuyen i could hook that up.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jul 13 2005, 05:42 PM
Post #6

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

can a starting character use spell points as karma for initiation and summoning an ally spirit?

Yes. The references are in SRComp. I don't have my books handy, so I can't give you a page reference right now, sorry.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Jul 13 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

It's on SRC p.15. In the Resources section, not, as any rational person would expect, the Magic section.

It says that the GM "may allow" Spell Points to be used in place of Karma for initiation and ally spirit summoning at character generation. So, basically, it's entirely up to your GM.

+Quote Post
northern lights
post Jul 14 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

sweet. thanks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.