Reply to this topicStart new topic
> EuroAir flight 329
Nebuchadnezzar
post Jul 18 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,472

Asides from being destroyed by Sirrurg the Destroyer, what's signifigant about EuroAir flight 329?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mugzy
post Jul 18 2005, 07:43 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

From: 50 Clicks north of Dragon City (Front Range Free Zone)
Member No.: 6,896

If I remember correctly, wasn't there a passenger who was able to hold off Sirrug with magic for a short amount of time before it crashed?

This one strikes me as elimination of a certain passenger or two, with the rest and the airplane being collateral damage Sirrug simply could care less about.

I know they talk about this incident in DotSW, even if they don't go into much detail about Vast Green, there was a quote from everyone's favorite SL post monkey, the Laughing Man, about "Big Green, still hunting the hunters."

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 18 2005, 07:51 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

A mage on the flight managed to hold off Sirrurg for several minutes, a fairly impressive feat. It didn't quite help Amazonia's image as a bunch of terrorists, either.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jul 18 2005, 07:54 PM
Post #4

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Just to be Capt. Obvious here, but sounds like the Dragon was looking to lunch some IE's. Who else could match mojo with a dragon for minutes? Certainly not a fledgling ghost dance participant.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 18 2005, 07:58 PM
Post #5

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Any really competent mage, with new DotSW rules. Though "hunting the hunters" implies otherwise. Maybe Big Green is just pissed beyond reason about down-cycle hunting?

then again, with LA's dragonhunters file, maybe the hunters weren't IEs after all, but more ordinary humans?

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Jul 18 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,029

Was Sirrurg explicitly acting on behalf of Amazonia? Were its motivations political?

+Quote Post
Cynic project
post Jul 18 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 6,543

QUOTE (Nikoli)
Just to be Capt. Obvious here, but sounds like the Dragon was looking to lunch some IE's. Who else could match mojo with a dragon for minutes? Certainly not a fledgling ghost dance participant.

Good ol' Howling may have. Remember that not all mages are made equally. We don't know how powerful all the magic people are. After all missteer Plotdevice..I mean Quicksilver was mighty powerful.

We honestly can't say if the a human mage from say 2002 wouldn't be powerful enough to hold off a dragon for a wile. He could have had spirit pact,been toxic or hell he could have been just that bad ass.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Jul 19 2005, 02:42 AM
Post #8

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 6,587

Great dragon or standered.

With judicious use of shielding you can prevent even a great dragon from casting much in the way of spells at you (+12 TN) the dragon has to keep up with the airplane, that’s going to slow it down a little (having to spend actions to increase speed) a few great form spirits will slow it down if it’s a lesser form dragon (maybe even buy you moments against a great form).

The problem is this is a strategy that must ultimately fail you can’t defeat the dragon, only hold it off.

Edward

+Quote Post
Mugzy
post Jul 19 2005, 03:29 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

From: 50 Clicks north of Dragon City (Front Range Free Zone)
Member No.: 6,896

In this case, Sirrug is a great. Not only that, he probably was using a fairly large sky spirit or air elemental to speed himself up anyway, not to mention indirect attacks at the airplane and other things shielding can't cover. Usun was known for his savagery as well as his command over air and wood spirits.

Not that any of that matters when it comes to stories, mind you.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Jul 19 2005, 03:53 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

You could engages sprit.

The problem with making the story mach likely engagements buy the rules is that “successfully held of the great dragon for 15 seconds” doesn’t sound all that impressive in spite of the fact that almost every small scale engagement using SR rules is over and done with, one way or the other, within 6 seconds.

Working from the point of the dragon I would have a number of spirits manifest in key locations on the plane, such as just in front of the air intakes, there would be no time for a response

Edward

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Jul 19 2005, 04:10 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

If you are a dragon trying to kill a mage strong enough to hold you off for a quarter of a minute, you will not trust gravity to perform the killing blow. You will rip the craft apart, and precisely obliterate your target, as long as you have no concern for the others who will die as a result. If you are concerned about other casualties, you would wait at the airport.

Really, how often do protagonists or villains survive airplane crashes that "left no survivors" in modern fiction? A competant mage would be expected to find a way to survive such a trivial danger as gravity and water, so if one is your target, leave it no such chance.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Jul 19 2005, 04:28 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Was Sirrurg explicitly acting on behalf of Amazonia? Were its motivations political?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 19 2005, 04:30 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

No, but who cares about that? 9/11 happens and most Americans blame, oh, the entire Islamic culture. Sorry, might be overreacting a little, these rednecks are getting to me.

+Quote Post
Velocity
post Jul 19 2005, 04:38 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

No apologies necessary.

Seriously though: has there been any canonical reference to Sirrurg's actual motives?

+Quote Post
northern lights
post Jul 19 2005, 06:15 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,929

i do believe that the closest thing to the canonical would be harlaquin's follow up.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Jul 19 2005, 06:24 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

I still have not met an individual or seen one on TV that claims the bulk of islamics are responsible for or condone any terrorist action..

There must be some because there are plenty of people worrying about that perception but I cant find them so I would think they would be the minority.

Edward

+Quote Post
toturi
post Jul 19 2005, 06:28 AM
Post #17

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

What exactly was EuroAir flight 329 anyway? A normal airliner? A suborbital? A semi-ballistic?

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jul 19 2005, 06:37 AM
Post #18

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

I'm willing to bet not even a Greater Dragon could've kept up with a suborbital or a semi-ballistic. A suborbital's speeds are just insane to think about a dragon flying at, and a semiballistic would take him outside of the gaiasphere.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jul 19 2005, 08:06 AM
Post #19

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Don't assume he was flying that speed on his own. Air Elemental/Movement -- swoooooosh.

+Quote Post
Edward
post Jul 19 2005, 08:49 AM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

I thought both of those options took you out of the mana sphere. That is bad for dragons and worse for spirits helping him keep up.

Edward

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jul 19 2005, 09:00 AM
Post #21

Horror

Can even magic move you at supersonic speeds? Mach 8 and above? Especially since a dragon is a Very Big Thing.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jul 19 2005, 09:15 AM
Post #22

Freelance Elf

As I recall, the Movement power is a multiplier based on the Force of the Spirit/Elemental involved, right? So take the Dragon's base flight movement, and multiply it by the Force of the heftiest thing it can summon. I bet it's a pretty high number.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jul 19 2005, 09:16 AM
Post #23

Horror

Yeah, but I'm not willing to put money on it being a supersonic number.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jul 19 2005, 09:20 AM
Post #24

Freelance Elf

Really, it comes down to what you think is a reasonable magic attribute and Summoning skill for a GD (that is, what Force of spirit it will summon). And it also depends on whether more than one spirit can apply the power at a time (whether that's the case for normal mortal magicians or not). And I'm not sure what the "base" flight speed of a dragon is, now that I think about it. I'd just say something like -- if you want the GD to be able to do it, and you're either the GM or the writer of the story, the GD does it.

Since, well, that's the trend, whether I say it's the rule or not.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jul 19 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #25

Horror

I'd rather believe that a GD using those abilities could catch up with a jumbo jet, than that it could fly at speeds that require ultratensile materials and bleeding-edge aerodynamics to not fly yourself apart.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:19 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.