IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Places of Power, How does one make one?
Stormdrake
post Sep 17 2003, 09:08 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,623

This may sound like a nutty question but how would a player character create a "place of power"? I mean are we talking something that could only be done by a wizwyrm or a corp with extreme difficulty? Could a very imaginative and resourceful mage/shaman pull it off by himself or with the aid of a small group if special situations occurred? As an example an areas lay lines become destabilized due to whatever and temporarily start to drift across the face of the land. Ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chaos
post Sep 17 2003, 09:20 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 4,844

Players would have to be allowed to on a house rule only

Dragons are able to do it with some help

as for destabilization.......Japan(nuf said)

+Quote Post
KosherPickle
post Sep 17 2003, 09:23 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,921

QUOTE (Stormdrake)
This may sound like a nutty question but how would a player character create a "place of power"?  I mean are we talking something that could only be done by a wizwyrm or a corp with extreme difficulty?  Could a very imaginative and resourceful mage/shaman pull it off by himself or with the aid of a small group if special situations occurred? As an example an areas lay lines become destabilized due to whatever and temporarily start to drift across the face of the land.  Ideas?

Target: Awakened Lands has rules for turning a Power Site to the advantage of a person or group.

Maybe I'll even quote from it when my home connection is up and running.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 17 2003, 09:25 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I dinnae think ye can make one, or e'en increase the power of one, but ye could certainly locate your HQ on top of one (with sufficient increase in lifestyle, see Sprawl Survival Guide) and you could ost certainly Aspect the manaline/power site to you, as seen in (I think) SOTA:2063.

Geomancy and/or powerful ritual magic (like, Ghost Dance type) can perhaps increase the rating of a power site or extend a manaline.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Sep 17 2003, 09:28 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

Basically, cast a whole lot of REALLY powerful spells in the same spot over an incredibly long period of time, and you have a power site. Unfortunately, your pretty little power site won't be ready for a century or three...that's if you haven't killed yourself from the physical drain of the rituals you're casting (and yes, with the power we're talking about, your drain WILL be physical...unless your Laughing Man that is...)

The short answer, though, is no. A PC doesn't have the time, resources, and talent to create a power site. And if he/she does, then you might want to seriously exam the power level of your game.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Sep 17 2003, 09:38 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

In Japan some of the Lay Lines may be moving around due to the great destabilization that occurred there. So having not caused them to move in the first place could a mortal mage or shaman influence were they come to lay? I would say that the situation in Japan is pretty unique and that normally impossible things while still frilling difficult might be pulled off. Of course you then run into the problem of hanging onto your new place of power as corps, goverments and maybe a dragon or two come demanding to know what you think your doing.

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Sep 17 2003, 09:44 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

In reality I agree with Abtruse(?) in the matter of power levels. However the idea might be a good one for a motive of a antagonist in a game. A corp in Japan attempts it (putting aside the matter of could they) and your team gets hired to sabotage them.

+Quote Post
Abstruse
post Sep 17 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 4,488

NPCs can do it frankly because they're NPCs and they can do anything due to GM fiat. However, it is very costly, very time-consuming, and very difficult.

The Abstruse One

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.